F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N47 and N57 Turbodiesel Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > EGR Replacement
proTUNING Freaks

07-08-2021, 01:38 PM   #1
bigshooter
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 328d xDrive

EGR Replacement

Is it absolutely required to bleed/purge air from cooling system after replacing EGR? Any issue just clamping the coolant lines to minimize spillage and physically swapping the EGR without bleeding the system?

If purging air is required, can this be done manually?
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2021, 08:39 PM   #2
Enabled
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 328xd Wagon, M2 Competition

Are you just changing the EGR valve? You wouldn't even be disconnecting any coolant lines then. I suppose if there's enough clearance without too much invasive surgery.
Others:
-E36 328is. 2000 Z3 Roady. 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual. Estoril Z3M Coupe.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2021, 08:36 AM   #3
bigshooter
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enabled View Post
Are you just changing the EGR valve? You wouldn't even be disconnecting any coolant lines then. I suppose if there's enough clearance without too much invasive surgery.
Yes. Just swapping the egr valve. There are 2 coolant hoses into the egr held on with hose clamps. I asked one of the techs at the dealership if calibration wasn't required and he said no. They do it but the car should learn / calibrate itself after about 100 miles. He also said that you should purge any air that gets into the lines I figure it should also purge any air itself after driving a bit.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2021, 08:49 AM   #4
bigshooter
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Bump
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2021, 09:45 AM   #5
dreaming.haze
Private
Rep
Drives: 328d xDrive wagon

bigshooter : I would say that clamping both sides of the lines will ensure coolant loss is minimal + the active air that will get into the system will be minimal as well. On your first drive post EGR change, just get it up to operating temp fully and then top off with coolant if needed (doubtful much if any will be needed).
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2021, 12:00 PM   #6
bigshooter
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreaming.haze View Post
bigshooter : I would say that clamping both sides of the lines will ensure coolant loss is minimal + the active air that will get into the system will be minimal as well. On your first drive post EGR change, just get it up to operating temp fully and then top off with coolant if needed (doubtful much if any will be needed).
Thank you. That's what I thought and was hoping to hear. I ordered a new one from getbmwparts. It looks like it was installed or test fit and then returned.

There are some marks on it and you can see some brazing from the screw in one picture although very light. Box was ripped open too. I reached out and they said it's normal.

Here's what they said:
"Attached are images of the brand new sealed in box received from BMW and it has similar marks on it. It appears this is caused by something during manufacturing.

If you would still like us to swap them out we can but understand it has similar marks as well. "

Is this truly normal?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-15-2021, 09:14 AM   #7
dreaming.haze
Private
Rep
Drives: 328d xDrive wagon

bigshooter - I wouldn't worry too much about the mild wear seen there. if they mention the same markings are seen on another fresh unit, then that is from factory and the tooling machine generates them. Are you able to catch those points with your fingernail? If so, you might want to use some brake cleaner + plastic razor to get some of the highspots down.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2021, 10:30 PM   #8
eugene89us
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 328d

@bigshooter I think the replacement EGR you get from BMW is a "remanufactured" unit where they reuse the core. I think EGR, Turbo, and a few other components have slightly different part numbers for replacement unit vs unit that comes from factory. They are still brand new and from BMW, but I think portions of them may be reused from recycled ones. This may also be the reason you see some markings. But overall, I think it looks great and I would have no doubts it is good. I have received far worse looking brand new parts in a fully sealed boxes before, since some manufacturing imperfections can take place.

Edit: I verified EGR does have 2 part numbers. When mine was changed "Exch EGR" was used - and that has a different part number than yours does. Yours is the brand brand new part number, not exchange one. Frankly, it would probably bother me in some ways. I would probably ask the place to swap it for a new valve and send me the one with original box sealed. For that kind of money, I would want peace of mind. But the new valve does look good, except for these weird inconsistencies.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2021, 02:19 PM   #9
bigshooter
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eugene89us View Post
@bigshooter I think the replacement EGR you get from BMW is a "remanufactured" unit where they reuse the core. I think EGR, Turbo, and a few other components have slightly different part numbers for replacement unit vs unit that comes from factory. They are still brand new and from BMW, but I think portions of them may be reused from recycled ones. This may also be the reason you see some markings. But overall, I think it looks great and I would have no doubts it is good. I have received far worse looking brand new parts in a fully sealed boxes before, since some manufacturing imperfections can take place.

Edit: I verified EGR does have 2 part numbers. When mine was changed "Exch EGR" was used - and that has a different part number than yours does. Yours is the brand brand new part number, not exchange one. Frankly, it would probably bother me in some ways. I would probably ask the place to swap it for a new valve and send me the one with original box sealed. For that kind of money, I would want peace of mind. But the new valve does look good, except for these weird inconsistencies.
Thank you. Really appreciate your solid reply. Both of you guys.

I was thinking of exchanging it. Frankly, it's the fact of the matter. I paid about $300 for a brand new EGR. I should get one unopened with no flaws. It never said anything about remanufactured. I'll see what he says.
Appreciate 1
      11-02-2021, 01:13 PM   #10
markodevivo
Registered
Rep
Drives: F30 E36

Hello everyone. Recently engine check lit up. After invastigation found out that the egr valve is clogged. after researching on the net still not sure am i going to change it by my self or in a official service. My main concern is the air in the system after replacment. Does it vent automaticaly or there is a special way to do it. Does anyone have experience with this.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2024, 05:21 PM   #11
bimmer4today
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw 316d f30

Hi all new here. Not sure if anyone can answer I have bmw 3 series f30 316d with the n47 engine 😬 I changed the egr and manged to lose one of the screws does anyone know where I can purchase the screws from I've searched but don't want to put an ordinary screw in it's place.

Please forgive me in advance and also thank you in advance.
Appreciate 0