F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Replace your stock charge pipe
proTUNING Freaks

11-15-2019, 08:43 AM   #1
Tpriest7893
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw 335i f30 N55 ( sold)

Garage List
  [0.00]
2012 bmw 335  [0.00]
02 2002 m3 Vert  [0.00]
Replace your stock charge pipe

For anyone who is new with a bmw or wants to upgrade and hasn't. Just do it. My 335i has a down pipe and Intake and I planned to do more just haven't gotten a round to it. During regular driving yesterday I had just downshifted so I could go around a car and as soon as I hit the gas, POP. Charge pipe blew off. Lasted until 78k miles on my car. So if you have a stock one and debate this, just get a new one. Just an FYI for anyone unfamiliar with this stuff
Stock intake(had open before and was sick of noise)
BMS CP
550i 351m rims with 275/245 set up.
No tune as of yet.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2019, 01:51 PM   #2
torkles
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i MSport 6mt

I just blew mine apart 2 weeks ago. Went to change lanes, hit the gas in 6th, and POW it blew. 86k miles and totally stock. Taking a closer look at it, I think it had been cracked for a while and I was leaking boost. Ordered a VRSF cp and 5" intercooler from mike at x-ph. The car is much much happier, healthier, and pulls nice and hard. Tune is next now that the CP is replaced.
      11-15-2019, 05:06 PM   #3
F36GC_NYC
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 EB 435GC xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by torkles View Post
I just blew mine apart 2 weeks ago. Went to change lanes, hit the gas in 6th, and POW it blew. 86k miles and totally stock. Taking a closer look at it, I think it had been cracked for a while and I was leaking boost. Ordered a VRSF cp and 5" intercooler from mike at x-ph. The car is much much happier, healthier, and pulls nice and hard. Tune is next now that the CP is replaced.
would recommend a DP as well if you can $$$ it.
Appreciate 1
      11-15-2019, 05:14 PM   #4
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Quote:
Make sure you datalog and check for boost leaks with that CP+IC combo, especially if you ordered it recently.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2019, 06:55 PM   #5
AK415
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 F32 435i

I changed mine at 24K miles so I can have a happy and heavy foot.
Appreciate 1
      11-15-2019, 07:06 PM   #6
Tpriest7893
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
2012 bmw 335  [0.00]
02 2002 m3 Vert  [0.00]
Quote:
Ah man that's crazy. It lasted a while tho, and I ordered the same. Took out the charge pipe and intercooler today. What a pain that was lol
BMS CP
No tune as of yet.
Appreciate 1
torkles198.00
      11-16-2019, 04:56 AM   #7
bdragon46
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 335i

Can always look forward to it failing with any spirited driving after 60k. Bought my car from the dealer and mine went the next day. Took it back for them to replace it while I ordered VRSF cp and intercooler
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2019, 06:35 AM   #8
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tpriest7893 View Post
For anyone who is new with a bmw or wants to upgrade and hasn't. Just do it. My 335i has a down pipe and Intake and I planned to do more just haven't gotten a round to it. During regular driving yesterday I had just downshifted so I could go around a car and as soon as I hit the gas, POP. Charge pipe blew off. Lasted until 78k miles on my car. So if you have a stock one and debate this, just get a new one. Just an FYI for anyone unfamiliar with this stuff
Quote:
Mine blew up at around 75k miles while I was at the track. Stock powertrain.
Appreciate 1
torkles198.00
      11-16-2019, 02:31 PM   #9
mcintoshf30
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F30 335xi

Mine blew first hit when I flashed stage one, 64K miles. Luckily I already bought the CTS CP so I installed that right away.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2019, 03:50 PM   #10
Tpriest7893
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
2012 bmw 335  [0.00]
02 2002 m3 Vert  [0.00]
Did bmw continue to use plastic pipes for the newer models cars?
BMS CP
No tune as of yet.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2019, 10:15 PM   #11
Logicoeur
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 335i xDrive

Quote:
Did bmw continue to use plastic pipes for the newer models cars?
The boost tract is not the same anymore since there is no intercooler. Water to air on the B58.
F30 335iX | Remus Axleback | Fabspeed Catted DP | VRSF Comp IC | 18X9 ET35 19lb MT1 | 255/40/18 ECS | Ohlins RT Millway Street | Millway Control Arm Bushings | Turner Endlinks | TMH 75mm 14x1.5 Studs | BMW MPerf LSD | XDelete | Pipercross Filter | MHD Stg2 93
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2019, 09:01 AM   #12
torkles
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeremyman9 View Post
Make sure you datalog and check for boost leaks with that CP+IC combo, especially if you ordered it recently.
Do you want to elaborate on that? Obviously I ordered it in the last 2 weeks.
      11-17-2019, 09:03 AM   #13
torkles
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F36GC_NYC View Post
would recommend a DP as well if you can $$$ it.
New thing at a time. but yes a catted VRSF downpipe is on the list. I live in a place where emissions inspections are required so I have to be careful of that.
      11-17-2019, 11:45 AM   #14
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Do you want to elaborate on that? Obviously I ordered it in the last 2 weeks.
Basically, nightmare fitment/boost leak issues with the VRSF IC and CP connection. All the documentation including the fix is detailed in this thread:

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1659611

I wrote up in this thread how you can boost leak test:

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1621695

You can also typically see in your datalogs if you have a boost leak, especially if it is as substantial as mine was.

Quote:
New thing at a time. but yes a catted VRSF downpipe is on the list. I live in a place where emissions inspections are required so I have to be careful of that.
As of right now the VRSF catted DP will not pass emissions. They are apparently developing a new one that fixes the O2 wire length issue and MIGHT pass, but no response from VRSF on that recently. If you order the catted one right now you will get the 90 degree O2 extension for the secondary O2 sensor.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2019, 02:40 PM   #15
torkles
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Basically, nightmare fitment/boost leak issues with the VRSF IC and CP connection. All the documentation including the fix is detailed in this thread:

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1659611

I wrote up in this thread how you can boost leak test:

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1621695

You can also typically see in your datalogs if you have a boost leak, especially if it is as substantial as mine was.
That sounds and looks like a nightmare and I have no intention of playing those games. Did you call VRSF or x-ph and ask them about it? I am 100% sure VRSF intended their charge pipe to match up perfectly with their intercooler without leaking.

I had mine installed at a reputable shop here who noted their sensitivity to boost leaks and had done these installs many times before, so I'm sure they would have mentioned if there was a fitment issue. Based on how the car pulls I don't think I'm having an issue. One thing on the data logging, I'm not sure I've seen a log yet where boost actuals matched the target, but I'm also no expert on the topic. You were obviously having an issue leaking from that connection but did you ever solve the issue and get actuals/target to match or can someone chime in here on how that should work?

Quote:
As of right now the VRSF catted DP will not pass emissions. They are apparently developing a new one that fixes the O2 wire length issue and MIGHT pass, but no response from VRSF on that recently. If you order the catted one right now you will get the 90 degree O2 extension for the secondary O2 sensor.
Definitely aware that VRSF will not guarantee emissions but it seems like lots of people run them and don't have an issue passing. It's just a plug in test now so as long as the car is "ready" and the light isn't on, you pass. I think the trick is to not let bm3 or mhd just turn off the CEL and then you'll know. I am waiting on the update from VRSF before I do anything and will be happy to run a stage 1 or 1+ tune before getting a DP and upping to stage 2. Paying $1,000 more for the fabspeed sportcat seems unnecessary.
      11-17-2019, 03:46 PM   #16
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
That sounds and looks like a nightmare and I have no intention of playing those games. Did you call VRSF or x-ph and ask them about it? I am 100% sure VRSF intended their charge pipe to match up perfectly with their intercooler without leaking.

I had mine installed at a reputable shop here who noted their sensitivity to boost leaks and had done these installs many times before, so I'm sure they would have mentioned if there was a fitment issue. Based on how the car pulls I don't think I'm having an issue. One thing on the data logging, I'm not sure I've seen a log yet where boost actuals matched the target, but I'm also no expert on the topic. You were obviously having an issue leaking from that connection but did you ever solve the issue and get actuals/target to match or can someone chime in here on how that should work?
No, i didn't ever call back to complain about it. If i had not discovered the larger Orings as a potential solution, that probably would have been my only option, but once i saw a path forward with the Orings i just wanted to fix it. The alternative would have been to hassle with them to try and "prove" that there was an issue (and it wasn't just a install error, especially since i did it myself and did not take it to a shop). I'm more of the type of person to just fix it myself as long as that is a viable option. I also did not want to reinstall the stock IC+CP while i waited to deal with those issues. I wasted 2 Saturdays (not counting original install) and spent a lot of time on the forums to get to where i am at (with confirmed no leaks), but its water under the bridge now. In hindsight i could have just ordered a different CP+IC, done things differently, etc, but hindsight is 20/20. I think i just somehow got extremely unlucky since not everyone running around with VRSF IC+CP has these issues.

As far as boost target goes, the general rule of thumb is +/-1 psi from target is normal. The other main consideration is WGDC. If you are reaching target but WGDC is excessively high, that could also suggest a leak. In general what i have found and seen is that you probably will not reach targets in 1st gear (with 8AT at least) because there isnt enough time or load. By 2nd you should be close, and by 3rd and higher you should be basically right on target.

Here are some of my most recent logs. MHD stage 1, VRSF 5'' IC + VRSF CP (after all leaks fixed):

1-4:https://datazap.me/u/thejeremyman9/1...=0&data=5-6-25

4-5: https://datazap.me/u/thejeremyman9/4...=0&data=5-6-25

Basically just look at boost target and boost mani.

The difference with the leak was most noticable in 1-3. With the leak the car felt laggy in the low gears. With it fixed i can easily spin 1st even from a slow roll (Stage 1 tune with stock cat and just a drop in filter).

Quote:
Definitely aware that VRSF will not guarantee emissions but it seems like lots of people run them and don't have an issue passing. It's just a plug in test now so as long as the car is "ready" and the light isn't on, you pass. I think the trick is to not let bm3 or mhd just turn off the CEL and then you'll know. I am waiting on the update from VRSF before I do anything and will be happy to run a stage 1 or 1+ tune before getting a DP and upping to stage 2. Paying $1,000 more for the fabspeed sportcat seems unnecessary.
I have never seen or heard of anyone showing ready with VRSF, but i will happily be proved wrong. I know what the test entails. You may be able to reset the monitors and drive gently through the necessary drive cycles to get the monitors back into the ready state, but after 1 hard pull even on stock tune im sure it will trigger CEL/not ready. Note, it is possible to not get a CEL and still not be in ready state.

I have been doing a lot of research on catted DPs recently with the intention of buying one with upcoming sales. I don't have to do emissions until 2023 so i really just want one that eliminates the smell (i already have a catless car and dont want it for my DD). The price of VRSF is tempting, but i probably dont want to buy any more of their products. I may just end up getting CG Precision or fabspeed. I dont want to run into a situation like with my IC+CP where i have to remove and reinstall; might as well just spend the extra money and do it right the first time.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2019, 04:44 PM   #17
torkles
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I have never seen or heard of anyone showing ready with VRSF, but i will happily be proved wrong. I know what the test entails. You may be able to reset the monitors and drive gently through the necessary drive cycles to get the monitors back into the ready state, but after 1 hard pull even on stock tune im sure it will trigger CEL/not ready. Note, it is possible to not get a CEL and still not be in ready state.

I have been doing a lot of research on catted DPs recently with the intention of buying one with upcoming sales. I don't have to do emissions until 2023 so i really just want one that eliminates the smell (i already have a catless car and dont want it for my DD). The price of VRSF is tempting, but i probably dont want to buy any more of their products. I may just end up getting CG Precision or fabspeed. I dont want to run into a situation like with my IC+CP where i have to remove and reinstall; might as well just spend the extra money and do it right the first time.
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1560090

Post 14 - VRSF says 'cel free operation for the majority of members who stay under 450whp'. I know that's not a guarantee but sounds pretty good, and 450whp is a lot more than I'll ever get to. Regardless, there's apparently an updated version on the way. But if no CEL shows up, what would prevent the car from going to ready status?

You have me curious about my boost target vs. actuals. I think I can log that in carly, so I'll take a look on the drive home from work tomorrow. It'd be nice to confirm I don't have an issue.

I assume you're running the stage 1 OTS map from mhd? How do you like that? I'm torn between bm3 and mhd - mhd is appealing, I'v heard great things about their pwg maps and they are cheaper than the bm3 option.
      11-17-2019, 05:03 PM   #18
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1560090

Post 14 - VRSF says 'cel free operation for the majority of members who stay under 450whp'. I know that's not a guarantee but sounds pretty good, and 450whp is a lot more than I'll ever get to. Regardless, there's apparently an updated version on the way. But if no CEL shows up, what would prevent the car from going to ready status?

You have me curious about my boost target vs. actuals. I think I can log that in carly, so I'll take a look on the drive home from work tomorrow. It'd be nice to confirm I don't have an issue.

I assume you're running the stage 1 OTS map from mhd? How do you like that? I'm torn between bm3 and mhd - mhd is appealing, I'v heard great things about their pwg maps and they are cheaper than the bm3 option.
Yeah, I have read that thread, but i think that is just a claim. From what i recall reading, people get a CEL after the first hard pull. I would reach out to people who actually have the downpipe and ask their experience. The readyness monitors require more than just not throwing a CEL. Of course if you have the CEL you are definitely not in ready status, but the opposite is not true. You have to go through all of the drive cycles and the cat has to perform adequately in order to be in ready status.

I would definitely log. You really just need boost target, boost in the manifold, and WGDC for this check. Make sure you are looking at boost in the manifold and not boost pre-throttle.

Yes, OTS stage 1 from MHD. Its a solid tune. Pretty significant gains over stock. I could technically go stage 2 with the IC+CP, but decided to just do stage 1 and then go to 2+ after a downpipe for another big jump. Absolutely no issues with driveability, flashing, etc. The car drives and behaves exactly like stock but faster; only positive feedback from me on the tune. The monitoring and logging module with MHD is also great (ive done at least 25-30 logs while chasing boost leak issues and spent hours scrutinzing them).
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2019, 11:15 AM   #19
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 1
      11-18-2019, 01:37 PM   #20
pw0n
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i

Couldn't agree more. As soon as I flashed my stock car to BM3 Stage 0+ (thought it couldn't hurt...), stock CP blew off on the very first pull

Like others have mentioned, I'm pretty sure it was leaking boost for awhile - it had multiple cracks when I pulled it out. Went w/ a CTS Turbo CP and couldn't be happier. Installation was a bit of a sore but well worth it.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2019, 02:06 PM   #21
Tpriest7893
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
2012 bmw 335  [0.00]
02 2002 m3 Vert  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pw0n View Post
Couldn't agree more. As soon as I flashed my stock car to BM3 Stage 0+ (thought it couldn't hurt...), stock CP blew off on the very first pull

Like others have mentioned, I'm pretty sure it was leaking boost for awhile - it had multiple cracks when I pulled it out. Went w/ a CTS Turbo CP and couldn't be happier. Installation was a bit of a sore but well worth it.
Yeah I'm sure mine leaked for a little. I was feeling more turbo lag then usual but I live in Florida so I thought maybe it was just the hotter days. I took the intercooler and cp out and just waiting for the new parts.
BMS CP
No tune as of yet.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 09:18 AM   #22
torkles
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, I have read that thread, but i think that is just a claim. From what i recall reading, people get a CEL after the first hard pull. I would reach out to people who actually have the downpipe and ask their experience. The readyness monitors require more than just not throwing a CEL. Of course if you have the CEL you are definitely not in ready status, but the opposite is not true. You have to go through all of the drive cycles and the cat has to perform adequately in order to be in ready status.
The guy that started the thread is reporting no CEL. I bet he's done some hard pulls. Either way, it's worth waiting for their revised unit.

Quote:
I would definitely log. You really just need boost target, boost in the manifold, and WGDC for this check. Make sure you are looking at boost in the manifold and not boost pre-throttle.
The logging capabilities in Carly for BMW are terrible. After this I won't recommend Carly to anyone lol. I got 3 points logged on a pull from about 1000 rpm to 6k. The road in Mexico I used ran out of runway. I was able to glance down at the display a few times and I feel like it's holding boost well, and I assume that the set points being displayed are set points on top of normal atmospheric pressure. Even at idle the absolute pressure was at ~13.8psi. Air temp was around 45. I'm not going to get real excited about any of these numbers as they exist here, and be happy that there's no evidence of a boost leak. I'll do some better logging with a stock map when I get bm3/mhd just to have a basis to compare to.

Engine speed (1/min) Boost pressure setpoint (psi) Manifold Absolute Pressure (psi)
1245.5 14.614252 13.866968
3764.5 20.973818 21.041237
5428.5 21.46332 20.805552

Quote:
Yes, OTS stage 1 from MHD. Its a solid tune. Pretty significant gains over stock. I could technically go stage 2 with the IC+CP, but decided to just do stage 1 and then go to 2+ after a downpipe for another big jump. Absolutely no issues with driveability, flashing, etc. The car drives and behaves exactly like stock but faster; only positive feedback from me on the tune. The monitoring and logging module with MHD is also great (ive done at least 25-30 logs while chasing boost leak issues and spent hours scrutinzing them).
Great. Thanks for the review.