F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > Bimmerlink error codes
GetBMWParts

02-18-2024, 11:59 AM   #1
Sprinterman
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F31 touring

Bimmerlink error codes

When I clear the error codes, once I drive again they always return, then I clear them again and the cycle repeats itself. The permanent error codes are always green, never any issues, does it matter if the codes return? The car is running faultlessly with no issues, so I don’t really get the point of continuously clearing the fault codes
      02-18-2024, 01:15 PM   #2
NxTH
AH3 Owner
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i ActiveHybrid 3

Garage List
Info Memory - You can pretty much ignore these most of the time unless you have an actual problem, then they can guide you to the right area. Most of these are informational on events that have taken place.

Error Codes - If you clear them and they come back, you have an issue. Either a developing issue that will get worse over time, or an issue you have not noticed yet.

Permanent Codes - An issue is present
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2024, 01:27 PM   #3
Sprinterman
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F31 touring

Vehicle just had a health check from a BMW main dealer, no issues whatsoever. Like I said it runs perfectly, I guess these issues are historical, I’m not sure of the quality of an app that costs £30, I have ISTA and I run a check now and then to clear any faults (none of the faults that BimmerLink throw up show up in ISTA) I just regularly clear the memory in ISTA and don’t experience any issues. BimmerLink is useful for a DPF regeneration, and I had an issue with the LED gear shifter randomly failing, BimmerLink solved it, but I don’t think it’s a serious tool for diagnosing problems
      02-18-2024, 02:22 PM   #4
NxTH
AH3 Owner
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i ActiveHybrid 3

Garage List
Bimmerlink shows the same error codes ISTA would, except for Info Memory which ISTA does not show. By that, I'm assuming you are seeing these codes in the Info Memory section of Bimmerlink which can be ignored. I have 20 codes in there that keep coming back.

Bimmerlink's weakness is the inability to offer descriptions and troubleshooting steps for the codes. If you are using Bimmerlink, you would then head to https://bmwfault.codes/ and see the descriptions.

Bimmerlink is no ISTA, and considering a regular BMW driver doesn't even know about acquiring ISTA being a possibility, Bimmerlink can help a lot in diagnosing codes. Bimmerlink's strongest points are being able to monitor sensors easily, registering a new battery and clearing codes along with some troubleshooting capabilities if you use the URL above.
Appreciate 1