F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Experience with 10.25" android 7.1 HU's
GetBMWParts

09-06-2018, 02:02 AM   #1101
Bosley
Private First Class
Italy
Rep
Drives: BMW F20 116d 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRuw View Post
I just checked with AVIN over chat and the hardware (and MCU) of the 4.4 and 7.1 are different from eachother.
Button assignments are possible in the 4.4 but not in the 7.1
They claim the 7.1 also has idrive knob integration for the 3rd party apps.
Dont know if its true and if someone has the software so it can be examined but I really dont think the hardware differs from eachother.
Its a VERY small market for these systems and I really dont think there is more than 1 manufacturer...
Totally agree, 99% chance that the hardware is exactly the same..
The producer is the same for all those screens, then each re-seller installs a different software in it..
imho IF it really works on Avin's screen, then it must also work on others..
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2018, 02:25 AM   #1102
cederron
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW F33

I think The problem with the buttons is in Android 4.4 they have less restrictions to inject keyboard/touches events.
In Android 7 permissions are tighter.

Also I think it could be done with some programming trickery, but its not as easy as edit a list of strings
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2018, 02:33 AM   #1103
DRuw
Captain
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: G21 330e MSport Individual

Quote:
Originally Posted by cederron View Post
I think The problem with the buttons is in Android 4.4 they have less restrictions to inject keyboard/touches events.
In Android 7 permissions are tighter.

Also I think it could be done with some programming trickery, but its not as easy as edit a list of strings
And for that reason, Im looking for someone with an AVIN 7.1 screen that received the software but since their aftersales is dreadfull, I cant find anyone who has this in order to reverse-engineer it...

wacky007 Thanks for testing!
Which DAB did you use? the Zoulou version (nousb?)?
I am going to try to reset the unit but it doesnt respond when I put the latest px3 file in the unit... Maybe I first need to go back a software revision and then try again.
Never tried to re-install the same revision of software but my system doesnt indicate there is a software rev available... im hoping its because its the same rev...

Topicstart changed with software included.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2018, 05:22 AM   #1104
wacky007
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: F30 2012 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by florinbrv View Post
Gents, I'm having issues installing the update. Updated over 6 times already, but I'm getting the "google play services has stopped working " error. Found on a forum that I have to clear the app cache, did that but I'm still getting the error. Is there another fix?
I had that problem as well the last time I updated to early August update. "google play services has stopped working".

Nothing helped until I went back to 20180703 version. Then let Play Store connect and update.

When everything is working again, try to update latest 20180828 version again.

DRuw I used realzoulu's app (normal version) and it worked in background play.

That is strange, update should work with same revision as well. See florinbrv, he updated over 6 times already.

BTW Gdrive link in your first post doesn't work. You didn't copy the whole link (it is shortend with dots...)
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2018, 05:48 AM   #1105
florinbrv
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 320D

Quote:
Originally Posted by wacky007 View Post
I had that problem as well the last time I updated to early August update. "google play services has stopped working".

Nothing helped until I went back to 20180703 version. Then let Play Store connect and update.

When everything is working again, try to update latest 20180828 version again.

That is strange, update should work with same revision as well. See florinbrv, he updated over 6 times already.

BTW Gdrive link in your first post doesn't work. You didn't copy the whole link (it is shortend with dots...)
Many thanks wacky!
I'lltry this when I get home
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2018, 06:30 AM   #1106
DRuw
Captain
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wacky007 View Post

Weird... Ill try it with an older rev.
Gdrive link updated... oops...
Thansk for testing!

Regarding the claim of Avin for the 7.1 system and idrive knob.... quote from the AVIN topic: "I have the avin 7.1 and the knob control has never worked. I have gotten ZERO support or even responses from them - let alone any software."
Appreciate 1
      09-06-2018, 06:56 AM   #1107
cederron
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Mine was 1314 i thought but it doesnt respond to it.
Also putting back the USB stick doesnt indicate that a px3 has been found.
Im downloading it again, renaming it to px3_reset.img and I am going to try it fresh.
It seems that for some reason, I can use several apps but it looks like when Waze is started, it kills the rest, also tasker (and DAB).

Lets see what a fresh install does...

It seems am in the same situation.
Updated to last release but task killer is killing even the new whitelisted apps.
Going to try with px3_reset.img
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2018, 07:06 AM   #1108
DRuw
Captain
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Updated to last release but task killer is killing even the new whitelisted apps.
On 2018 it does respond.
As far as I know, there is no way to force an install but I will try to downgrade and upgrade again later today.
I think that for some reason, part of the old service killer is still active... or something...
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2018, 07:20 AM   #1109
florinbrv
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 320D

Quote:
On 2018 it does respond.
As far as I know, there is no way to force an install but I will try to downgrade and upgrade again later today.
I think that for some reason, part of the old service killer is still active... or something...
Not exactly force it, but if the memory stick is already connected to the unit before engine start, it will automatically instal the update.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2018, 07:32 AM   #1110
DRuw
Captain
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by florinbrv View Post
Not exactly force it, but if the memory stick is already connected to the unit before engine start, it will automatically instal the update.
Yeah thats what I guessed, thanks man!
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2018, 09:01 AM   #1111
jd__m4
Captain
Rep
Drives: AY M4

I may be pulling my Ugode system out this weekend as I'm looking to get into a F80

I believe the only difference with mine is it has a removable dash piece so it fits in my E84. I'll probably pull it out in the coming days and throw it in the classifieds- this forum is a lot more active than the E84 one so it probably won't get much interest there.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2018, 09:03 AM   #1112
Supernova66
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i

Quote:
Quote:
On 2018 it does respond.
Very strange... Mine booted new firmware straight away and my code is still 1314.:
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2018, 09:04 AM   #1113
cederron
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
On 2018 it does respond.
Been playing with it.
Problem is with the "_reset" tag, the installer does not recognize it as an update, dont add it.

Now the task killer is working using the new whitelist, tested with Youtube Premium and is not being killed.
What I did is a factory reset after the update.
Be prepared to navigate chinese menus
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2018, 09:09 AM   #1114
Bosley
Private First Class
Italy
Rep

Quote:
Been playing with it.
Problem is with the "_reset" tag, the installer does not recognize it as an update, dont add it.

Now the task killer is working using the new whitelist, tested with Youtube Premium and is not being killed.
What I did is a factory reset after the update.
Be prepared to navigate chinese menus
Were you able to change the language then?!
Or the HU is only in chinese after the reset?!
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2018, 09:18 AM   #1115
cederron
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosley View Post
Were you able to change the language then?!
Or the HU is only in chinese after the reset?!
You have to find your way through the android settings and install English
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2018, 09:19 AM   #1116
toddyus
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i x-drive

Quote:
For the people with 7.1 HU and with CarPlay:
- Do you also face the knob issue?
- What app do you use? AirPlay or ZBox?
- Which app version do you have?
- Which box version do you have?
I am running a PX3 7.1 system on an E90. I have both the Autoplay Carplay box and the Zbox Carplay box. With the Autoplay box, I have the knob issue as described (can scroll to items, but can't press to select).

With Zbox, I can neither scroll nor press. Interestingly, Zbox provides in their software an interface for mapping physical button presses to actions. It cannot, however, detect any key presses in order to map them. I expect this is an issue with the Android firmware. My reasoning is that the Android system can detect button presses and is coded to use them, such as the NAV button or the MENU button. It does not, then permit USB devices to see/use those inputs.

My reasoning may be flawed. I'm curious what other people think.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2018, 09:24 AM   #1117
Bosley
Private First Class
Italy
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddyus View Post
I am running a PX3 7.1 system on an E90. I have both the Autoplay Carplay box and the Zbox Carplay box. With the Autoplay box, I have the knob issue as described (can scroll to items, but can't press to select).

With Zbox, I can neither scroll nor press. Interestingly, Zbox provides in their software an interface for mapping physical button presses to actions. It cannot, however, detect any key presses in order to map them. I expect this is an issue with the Android firmware. My reasoning is that the Android system can detect button presses and is coded to use them, such as the NAV button or the MENU button. It does not, then permit USB devices to see/use those inputs.

That's really interesting..
2 questions:
- Can you share with us Zbox.apk? I can't find it on the web, I'd like to try it
- Did you try to map the button both with TYPE_A and TYPE_B idrive (in factory setting)?
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2018, 09:29 AM   #1118
mike78
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 530e M Sport (2019)

hmm very interesting finding. Have you managed to map any key to your car or to another car?

Quote:

Appreciate 0
      09-06-2018, 09:40 AM   #1119
cederron
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

My vision being a programer is that the MCU gets the Car button presses and sends them to the EventCenter app, EventCenter generates Intents(kind of events) that are readed by the hu specific apps, like the stock hu launcher.
In android 4 these intents can be translated to key presses, but in Android 7 permissions are tighter and this is not allowed.
Thats why Idrive buttons only work in the HU apps that have been coded to read these intents.
But external apps are not coded to read these intents and intents are not being translated to key presses.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2018, 09:45 AM   #1120
Bosley
Private First Class
Italy
Rep

Quote:
My vision being a programer is that the MCU gets the Car button presses and sends them to the EventCenter app, EventCenter generates Intents(kind of events) that are readed by its own apps, like the stock hu launcher.
In android 4 these intents can be translated to key presses, but in Android 7 permissions are tighter and this is not allowed.
Thats why Idrive buttons only work in the HU apps that have been coded to read these intents.
But external apps are not coded to read these intents and intents are not being translated to key presses.
Sorry for the (maybe) stupid question.. But if so, why the idrive knob can be use to scroll through apps? If the "turning" of the wheel is recognized by the app, it means that the intent has been generated for that input.. Right?
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2018, 09:50 AM   #1121
cederron
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Sorry for the (maybe) stupid question.. But if so, why the idrive knob can be use to scroll through apps? If the "turning" of the wheel is recognized by the app, it means that the intent has been generated for that input.. Right?
Are we talking about Autoplay Carplay, is this a stock HU app? (dont own iphone, so not very informed about this topic).
If its a HU app then they should be able to do it.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2018, 09:59 AM   #1122
Bosley
Private First Class
Italy
Rep

Quote:
Are we talking about Autoplay Carplay, is this a stock HU app? (dont own iphone, so not very informed about this topic).
If its a HU app then they should be able to do it.
That's not a stock hu app, I've installed it lately with the dongle..

Anyway, long story short:
- We are not able to open apps on CarPlay clicking the knob
- We are able to scroll through apps on CarPlay using the knob

I'm not an expert, I want this to be clear, but if you're saying that "knob inputs" can't be assigned to "CarPlay outputs", why turning the knob makes me navigate through the apps?!

To make sure I'm explaining my issue well.. look at this video

I CAN do what he's doing from 0.06 to 0.11.. but I cannot do what he's doing in the last second of the video, where he's opening the app..
Appreciate 0