F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > Mechanical Turn Signal Stalk Retrofit Guide F30
Extreme Powerhouse

01-22-2024, 01:10 AM   #1
isenc2
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 340i xDrive Stage 1

Garage List
Mechanical Turn Signal Stalk Retrofit Guide F30

Hi all!

I don't know about yall, but I prefer a normal turn signal stalk. Just fitted my 2016 340i xDrive with a 2018 MY mechanical turn signal stalk steering column switch unit(SZL). The new one feels less plasticy and more premium actually. Quite an extensive DIY, I will be documenting it here.

Before you start, buy a column switch unit that matches your car's option, ie. heated steering wheel, rain sensor, HBA, etc. Then make sure it is from F30, F20, F8X, compatible platforms. If not, you might need to transfer additional switch units which can be a hassle.

First, you can't just put it in. If your did not came with the "normal" turn signal stalk, then chances are your FEM module's firmware does not support the newer stalk. A firmware update is necessary. So, both FEM_Body and FEM_GW need to be updated to at least late 2018 I-Step using E-Sys. I went from a I-Step of 2016 ish to 2023(only flashed FEM). Shawn has extensive E-Sys guides on how to update firmware, follow his instructions carefully, flashing modules can be dangerous. I used both an ICOM and a PSU.

Secondly, once you flashed the FEM, now you have additional coding options to choose from in SZL_VARIANTE list. This can be done easily in Bimmercode. Here are the coding changes:

- FS_TYP_SZL to rastend
- WW_SZL_TYPE to rastend
- LIN_VARIANTE_SZL to same as you have but with _r_ in name. For those of us in the US of A, you also need to find the variant that has "_us_" in it as well.

BTW, "rastend" means resting.

Lastly, to install it, there's plenty of YT videos showing how to take apart the steering column. However, there are two things I'd like to stress, if u have heated steering wheel, then there will be a white plug on the back of the column switch, it is very difficult to remove, you probably need a needle plier to get it out, just be careful with it. There's also a main plug that has a latch on it, similar to the DME plugs, it has to be plugged in while the column switch has not been mounted yet, also the latch needs to be fully up while you plug it in.

Hope this helps!
Appreciate 1
Wibbles444.50
      02-06-2024, 02:35 PM   #2
bmwstephen
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 95' M3, 17' M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by isenc2 View Post
Hi all!

I don't know about yall, but I prefer a normal turn signal stalk. Just fitted my 2016 340i xDrive with a 2018 MY mechanical turn signal stalk steering column switch unit(SZL). The new one feels less plasticy and more premium actually. Quite an extensive DIY, I will be documenting it here.

Before you start, buy a column switch unit that matches your car's option, ie. heated steering wheel, rain sensor, HBA, etc. Then make sure it is from F30, F20, F8X, compatible platforms. If not, you might need to transfer additional switch units which can be a hassle.

First, you can't just put it in. If your did not came with the "normal" turn signal stalk, then chances are your FEM module's firmware does not support the newer stalk. A firmware update is necessary. So, both FEM_Body and FEM_GW need to be updated to at least late 2018 I-Step using E-Sys. I went from a I-Step of 2016 ish to 2023(only flashed FEM). Shawn has extensive E-Sys guides on how to update firmware, follow his instructions carefully, flashing modules can be dangerous. I used both an ICOM and a PSU.

Secondly, once you flashed the FEM, now you have additional coding options to choose from in SZL_VARIANTE list. This can be done easily in Bimmercode. Here are the coding changes:

- FS_TYP_SZL to rastend
- WW_SZL_TYPE to rastend
- LIN_VARIANTE_SZL to same as you have but with _r_ in name. For those of us in the US of A, you also need to find the variant that has "_us_" in it as well.

BTW, "rastend" means resting.

Lastly, to install it, there's plenty of YT videos showing how to take apart the steering column. However, there are two things I'd like to stress, if u have heated steering wheel, then there will be a white plug on the back of the column switch, it is very difficult to remove, you probably need a needle plier to get it out, just be careful with it. There's also a main plug that has a latch on it, similar to the DME plugs, it has to be plugged in while the column switch has not been mounted yet, also the latch needs to be fully up while you plug it in.

Hope this helps!
thank you! so is it the reverse if someone with mechanical wants to retrofit the self-centering stalks?
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2024, 05:49 PM   #3
isenc2
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwstephen View Post
thank you! so is it the reverse if someone with mechanical wants to retrofit the self-centering stalks?
Yep, you should have all the coding values in your bimmercode app. Like this was my self centering coding value originally.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-06-2024, 05:52 PM   #4
bmwstephen
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 95' M3, 17' M2

You are a hero! I have a fellow member here with an LCI and me (prelci w/latest iStep) are trying to swap configurations.

I don’t suppose you know if this setup also codes the mechanical wiper stalk would you?
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2024, 08:04 PM   #5
isenc2
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwstephen View Post
You are a hero! I have a fellow member here with an LCI and me (prelci w/latest iStep) are trying to swap configurations.

I don’t suppose you know if this setup also codes the mechanical wiper stalk would you?
Not sure what you meant by setup but there's three variables that need to be changed when swapping between self-centering and mechanical stalks. And since you are downgrading, there's no need for firmware flash for the FEM module, since your FEM has all the old coding data. Much easier than my case.

For your case:
- FS_TYP_SZL from rastend to none
- WW_SZL_TYPE from rastend to none
- LIN_VARIANTE_SZL to same as you have but without _r_ or _us_ in name. Like the iPhone screenshot I showed before, that is for the self-returning coding for this variable in my car.
Appreciate 0