F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Apple CarPlay Retrofit - Done! (Update:16/11/18...now also with full screen function)
Extreme Powerhouse

12-26-2019, 03:14 PM   #419
cjk32
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 440i

Apologies for the delay in replying; I was trying (and failing) to do some more research so that I could provide informed answers to your questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clear_Blue22 View Post
Why can't you activate CarPlay natively on your idrive? Things have changed a bit in coding. If you have the right equipment you can activate CarPlay with legit BMW codes from the factory that won't break idrive or anything else.
The only legit way that I understand is to purchase CarPlay activation through the connected drive store. This is refused with "This service is not available for your BMW", I assume because the Wifi antenna wasn't fitted at the factory.

What's the process for getting legit BMW codes from the factory? What's involved in getting them installed.

Quote:
You will need WiFi or the ability for it and you will need enhanced Bluetooth. I'm assuming you have ID6 with the 19'?
I do have ID6 (so far as I can tell based upon comparision with ID6 screenshots online). Given that BimmerTech offered me the WiFi antenna, I'm assuming that one isn't fitted. However, the retrofit looks extremely simple, so I'm confident of doing it myself. I'm not sure if I have enhanced bluetooth. It's not listed as an option for my VIN at https://www.mdecoder.com. However, the descriptions of EBT (browse music on a phone via the iDrive) matches the functionality I observe, so it's possible that I do have it. How can I tell for sure?

Thanks,

Chris.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2019, 03:22 PM   #420
Clear_Blue22
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 230i MSport

Garage List
2018 BMW 230i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjk32 View Post
Apologies for the delay in replying; I was trying (and failing) to do some more research so that I could provide informed answers to your questions.

Quote:
Why can't you activate CarPlay natively on your idrive? Things have changed a bit in coding. If you have the right equipment you can activate CarPlay with legit BMW codes from the factory that won't break idrive or anything else.
The only legit way that I understand is to purchase CarPlay activation through the connected drive store. This is refused with "This service is not available for your BMW", I assume because the Wifi antenna wasn't fitted at the factory.

What's the process for getting legit BMW codes from the factory? What's involved in getting them installed.

Quote:
You will need WiFi or the ability for it and you will need enhanced Bluetooth. I'm assuming you have ID6 with the 19'?
I do have ID6 (so far as I can tell based upon comparision with ID6 screenshots online). Given that BimmerTech offered me the WiFi antenna, I'm assuming that one isn't fitted. However, the retrofit looks extremely simple, so I'm confident of doing it myself. I'm not sure if I have enhanced bluetooth. It's not listed as an option for my VIN at https://www.mdecoder.com. However, the descriptions of EBT (browse music on a phone via the iDrive) matches the functionality I observe, so it's possible that I do have it. How can I tell for sure?

Thanks,

Chris.
It would say if you have it, though without looking it up again I can't say exactly what makes it enhanced. It is however super easy to code after the fact. The WiFi is only included if you also have the wireless charging pad in the arm rest. However the us spec entry nav 2 HU seems to have the port on the back to simply add the WiFi antenna. Kies motorsports YouTube channel has a fantastic video showing the install of a retrofit to see how to do it all.

For CarPlay to work you will need enhanced BT and WiFi. Then you will need the codes to be remotely installed. My codes came from Steve at codemybimmer.ca. He remotes in through your computer to install them and actives CarPlay. You can compare your car to mine and see if everything else lines up aside from BT and WiFi to make sure it will work and then reach out to Steve. Vb98560 is the end of my vin
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2019, 03:23 PM   #421
Clear_Blue22
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 230i MSport

Garage List
2018 BMW 230i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjk32 View Post

Quote:

Quote:

Thanks,

Chris.
Fully functioning CarPlay without NAV head unit https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1625258
Appreciate 1
haagm58809.50
      01-02-2020, 12:47 PM   #422
ovox0
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 440i

Which wifi antenna is recommended? Is the ebay one ok?
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2020, 03:50 PM   #423
SamBL
Rep
Drives: F34 330i GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian332isport View Post
I don’t recall what FA stands for, but VO is short for vehicle order. FA and VO are basically the same thing. It’s kind of like the DNA of your car. Every option on the car has an option code, and the VO is generated from all the options.

When the car is built, the VO is obviously known by BMW. If you were to add any non standard options, you update the VO, so the car knows it now has that option fitted.

This is fine, until BMW plug into your car, and the expected VO is different from the actual VO read from the car. I’m suggesting this is why people are having problems.

Some options can be added by FDL coding, but this doesn’t change the VO. These changes will simply be reverted to standard by any BMW updates and apart from being an irritation, don’t cause any problems.
Just out of interest what are the VO codes that need to be changed with Esys for CarPlay?
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2020, 06:14 AM   #424
xpro
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335XD

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBL View Post
Just out of interest what are the VO codes that need to be changed with Esys for CarPlay?
Car play VO code is 6CP. But this will have no effect really.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2020, 01:46 PM   #425
CSL335i
Lieutenant
Hungary
Rep
Drives: M2 and...

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
I think you can uncode carplay, but the fake fsc codes will still be in there, which is what causes the problems when they update the car.

FSC codes from BMW will be many hundreds.
I am in the same boat. I used BMW FeatureInstaller with ENET cable and VIN related PASSCODE to retrofit Apple Carplay. All was fine, until my engineer upgraded the software on NBT to 19-07. It was our fault not to REVERT BACK TO OEM (fsc codes and cert with FeatureInstaller) before upgrading the car ISTA LEVEL and NBT software version.
Nightmare. After upgrading the software we cannot delete nor overwrite hacked FSC codes with ESYS. (FSC code cannot be owerwritten by ESYS if the new FSC code date is later than the one on NBT. Closed loop.).
Software reisntall on NBT does not help, as it does not delete hacked FSCs.
From 07-09 software version BMW closed the backdoor, what FeatureInstaller used to replace fatcory CERT and factory FSC with hacked cert and hacked FSCs signed by hacked cert. If newer software recognizes (as in my case) the situation, it drops a Component protection error in the HU.
We even deleted the v850 NBT with proper function, but FSC codes are remining there...

To put it in a nutshell: if you applied Carplay based in hacked FSC codes and cert, and did not revert them back to oem, after software upgrade your NBT are sucked.

If anybody has a more proper solution to get rid of those hacked FSC, than please contect me...
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2020, 01:57 PM   #426
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSL335i View Post
Quote:
I think you can uncode carplay, but the fake fsc codes will still be in there, which is what causes the problems when they update the car.

I am in the same boat. I used BMW FeatureInstaller with ENET cable and VIN related PASSCODE to retrofit Apple Carplay. All was fine, until my engineer upgraded the software on NBT to 19-07. It was our fault not to REVERT BACK TO OEM (fsc codes and cert with FeatureInstaller) before upgrading the car ISTA LEVEL and NBT software version.
Nightmare. After upgrading the software we cannot delete nor overwrite hacked FSC codes with ESYS. (FSC code cannot be owerwritten by ESYS if the new FSC code date is later than the one on NBT. Closed loop.).
From 07-09 software version BMW closed the backdoor, what FeatureInstaller used to replace fatcory CERT and factory FSC with hacked cert and hacked FSCs signed by hacked cert. If newer software recognizes (as in my case) the situation, it drops a Component protection error in the HU.
We even deleted the v850 NBT with proper function, but FSC codes are remining there...

To put it in a nutshell: if you applied Carplay based in hacked FSC codes and cert, and did not revert them back to oem, after software upgrade your NBT are sucked.

If anybody has a more proper solution to get rid of those hacked FSC, than please contect me...
A decent BMW retrofitter can do it, I know one in UK but that's probably not much help to you.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2020, 04:22 PM   #427
xpro
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

You're not the first person reporting that, and BMW know about it and have released a memo about it.
NBT-HU manipulation

If FSC and enabling code manipulation is discovered, all warranty is void, units are non recoverable and must be replaced at the cost of the customer.
They are working on a tool to reset HU units.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2020, 12:13 PM   #428
CSL335i
Lieutenant
Hungary
Rep
Drives: M2 and...

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpro View Post
Quote:
Quote:

You're not the first person reporting that, and BMW know about it and have released a memo about it.
NBT-HU manipulation

If FSC and enabling code manipulation is discovered, all warranty is void, units are non recoverable and must be replaced at the cost of the customer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xpro View Post
Quote:
Quote:

NBT-HU manipulation

How do you mean they are working on a solution? Bmw or megatalented private developers...
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2020, 12:16 PM   #429
xpro
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
How do you mean they are working on a solution? Bmw or megatalented private developers...
see attached:

https://mega.nz/file/XY9RhYRI#aX4Cif...TpccdIn_QozDy0
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2020, 02:23 PM   #430
Gogs79
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 430D XDrive

Hi all, a newbie here trying to make sense of what I’d need to get CarPlay activated in my 430D XDrive. Not long bought the car and miss the ease of use with CarPlay, as all of my most recent cars had it as standard. I don’t have the wireless charger or EBT, so from I can make out I presume I need a WiFi antenna and then the codes to activate CarPlay? I noticed a lot of people saying to contact Wibbles about this. Maybe someone can point me in his direction.
Many thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2020, 03:26 PM   #431
WALoeIII
Rep
Drives: Ford Expedition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gogs79 View Post
Hi all, a newbie here trying to make sense of what I’d need to get CarPlay activated in my 430D XDrive. Not long bought the car and miss the ease of use with CarPlay, as all of my most recent cars had it as standard. I don’t have the wireless charger or EBT, so from I can make out I presume I need a WiFi antenna and then the codes to activate CarPlay? I noticed a lot of people saying to contact Wibbles about this. Maybe someone can point me in his direction.
Many thanks
I think we'd need to know which Headunit you had as a minimum to direct you in the right way. If you are in the US and have nav its pretty straightforward. If you are 2018+ its also fairly straight forward. Somewhere in 2017 without nav it starts turning into retrofits.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2020, 03:29 PM   #432
Gogs79
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 430D XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by WALoeIII View Post
I think we'd need to know which Headunit you had as a minimum to direct you in the right way. If you are in the US and have nav its pretty straightforward. If you are 2018+ its also fairly straight forward. Somewhere in 2017 without nav it starts turning into retrofits.
I’m in the uk and have a late 2017 with nav pro, but no wireless charging or EBT. I’ve been told from a few various places that I should fit a WiFi antenna, and that I can have car play coded.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2020, 06:03 AM   #433
Wibbles
Coding ECU's remotely
Rep
Drives: M3LR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gogs79 View Post
I’m in the uk and have a late 2017 with nav pro, but no wireless charging or EBT. I’ve been told from a few various places that I should fit a WiFi antenna, and that I can have car play coded.
Carplay can be added but be careful where you buy it as not all activations backup your OEM FSC codes which can cause problems if the dealer flashes the headunit.

BMW claims the headunit is corrupted but this is not the case, there is just a mismatch with patched codes and the OEM root FSC cert. It is an easy fix with the right tools and a set of repair codes or the FSC installer can be ran again if it was a cable solution, it certainly does not require a new headunit as the main dealers would have you believe, this is only because they don't have the capability to remove the patched FSC codes.

You can buy a carplay OEM FSC code from BMW or a third party supplyer and that would never cause an issue if the car is updateed, however it won't give you full screen carplay and the coding to activate carplay would need to be re-applied after an update, but that is a 2 minute job and can be done with bimmercode if required. The OEM code is expensive - £350 IIRC bit maybe cheaper now.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2020, 08:00 AM   #434
springer222
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 335d M SPORT LCI

Hi,

So just to check I understand correctly, if I already have CarPlay can I now use BimmerCode to make it full screen?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2020, 08:07 AM   #435
Wibbles
Coding ECU's remotely
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by springer222 View Post
Hi,

So just to check I understand correctly, if I already have CarPlay can I now use BimmerCode to make it full screen?

Thanks
No - Full screen carplay requires a patch + coding - this requires SSH/Telnet access to the headunit, that has to be done with a .bin file injected by USB or via ENET cable and either remote activation or via a locally ran application on a PC depending on the current firmware level on the Headunit.

What I was referring to is if you install an OEM Carplay FSC (which has to be done with esys), then the car goes to BMW and is updated, then the flag in the headunit (CARPLAY_SWT = Aktiv) would need to be re-enabled, that can be done with Bimmercode.

Hope that clarifies.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2020, 08:17 AM   #436
springer222
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 335d M SPORT LCI

ahh, ok, thank you
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2020, 10:34 AM   #437
AlRex
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 440i GC

Looking at activating car play. In the connect drive online centre it gives me the option to purchase or is there a better way? I have extended Bluetooth, WiFi hotspot and wireless snap in adapter in centre arm rest so think it just needs activating.

Am I best to just pay the money to BMW?
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2020, 01:35 PM   #438
j.s.
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlRex View Post
Looking at activating car play. In the connect drive online centre it gives me the option to purchase or is there a better way? I have extended Bluetooth, WiFi hotspot and wireless snap in adapter in centre arm rest so think it just needs activating.

Am I best to just pay the money to BMW?
It will be the safest for sure, and isn't that expensive
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2020, 02:11 PM   #439
Wibbles
Coding ECU's remotely
Rep

If you wait for Black Friday they usually discount it, it was £113 last year.

If you go for a 3rd party activation, as long as it backs up your FSC codes and you restore before a dealer visit, then all will be good.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2020, 04:15 PM   #440
AlRex
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 440i GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wibbles View Post
If you wait for Black Friday they usually discount it, it was £113 last year.

If you go for a 3rd party activation, as long as it backs up your FSC codes and you restore before a dealer visit, then all will be good.
Ok that’s great thanks I shall wait and see if they have any promotions later in the year.
Appreciate 0