F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Photo, Video, Media Gallery, Journals > Spied: BMW 428i Coupe Test Mule
Studio RSR

12-14-2012, 05:33 PM   #23
advantage20
Major
France
Rep
Drives: 330d

Nice Sport Line
Twin exhaust tips mean 428i yes or maybe 425d (218ps twin-turbo 2.0 diesel)
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2012, 05:34 PM   #24
Drew10
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2005 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Never Convicted View Post
Well, there's no way I'm buying one with wallpaper on it. I want mine to be shiny!
      12-14-2012, 06:31 PM   #25
e92miami
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: W205 C300

Its a shame this car is NOTHING like the concept. Just a 2 door F30 nothing more. And can I say "holy wheel gap
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2012, 07:31 PM   #26
Zebra99
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is E93

Garage List
Not liking the fastback shape, but meh....we'll see.

The concept was drop dead gorgeous, this is looking bland.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2012, 08:59 PM   #27
Blindside_137
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 SSII E90 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakal View Post
I think that tail lights are same on both cars. LED are only red strips, while looks like that brake lights and turn signals got regular bulbs. Same had e92 pre-LCI, while e92 LCI received LED brake lights and LED turn signals. Full LED tail lights got 7, 6, 5 series and outgoing 3 coupe / cabrio LCI.

Im sure 4 will be great car, but Im disappointed that small details like full LED tail lights are missing and that makes car less special and premium.
that's the way it goes with bmw. The car is purposefully released with "lesser" technology (no LED tail lights in this case) so that the LCI model (which will be given LED lights) is more attractive
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2012, 09:43 PM   #28
Fraggy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

The new wave of BMW buyer has been so obvious recently. More concern over aesthetics, than the true value of performance. BMW knows exactly who they are designing for, and hence the recent shift of focus.
2020 M340
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2012, 11:47 PM   #29
bimmerjph
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 3.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by flightz71 View Post
Slightly disappointing. M concept translated to the product models pretty spot on. I didn't expect that crazy bumper wheels or interior from the concept the make it but am highly disappointed the headlights did not with the broken off inner corona ring to the grill! Moreover the concept looked much wider and more athletic... hope final car won't just be a "2-door 3" since they gave it a new name!
This is exactly what I think. I don't see why they ditched the history of the 3 if they don't seem to be making it more distinctive (relative to the E90 vs E92) or raising the price that much. These were the two reasons Scott26 hinted were the cause of the name change. On the other hand BMW has gotten REALLY good at camo, so I guess we won't really know until they reveal the production car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraggy View Post
The new wave of BMW buyer has been so obvious recently. More concern over aesthetics, than the true value of performance. BMW knows exactly who they are designing for, and hence the recent shift of focus.
Sadly you are correct. All my generation (and the one before it) cares about is acceleration, presence, and pointless technology.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2012, 12:18 AM   #30
Wolf
Captain
Rep
Drives: on hold

They took the trouble to cover the bimmerang with camo panels... looks like the bimmerang is here to stay
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
BMW have tapped into this by mirroring typical BMW dynamics and steering communication within the new UKL cars.
You mean massive body roll, a steering system that is not connected to the front wheels, and the engine note played through the speaker system?!?!?!?!
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2012, 01:08 AM   #31
OverDriven
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Quote:
I'm not so sure that aesthetics are going to be this car's strong point. I'm really hoping the camo is just REALLY good at hiding something special or this is just a huge bore. I actually think that most BMW buyers these days care about one thing - the BMW logo. They don't care if the car is boring looking or performs well. They just want everyone to see that they can afford a luxury brand.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2012, 01:22 AM   #32
Taipei-TT
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 X3 2.0D

BMW really ticks me off. If they do not put led brake lights on the car, I will not buy it in principle. Sticking it to customers just so they have an easy way to "update" the LCI. Not attractive from a design perspective.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2012, 01:28 AM   #33
JonoNZ
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW iX M60, Macan Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taipei-TT View Post
BMW really ticks me off. If they do not put led brake lights on the car, I will not buy it in principle. Sticking it to customers just so they have an easy way to "update" the LCI. Not attractive from a design perspective.
What's so important about LED brake lights? Around here they appear all brands of car - low and high end. It's almost special to not have them now. I can't understand why you wouldn't buy a car just because of brake lights.
BMW iX M60, Storm Bay with XPEL Stealth PPF, Exterior Line Titan Bronze, 1EW 22" 1023 Wheels, Amido Leather, Comfort Package, Interior Camera, Clear&Bold, Sun Protection Glazing, B&W Diamond Sound, Folding Towbar, Rear Axle Steering.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2012, 02:40 AM   #34
Shakal
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Im not a fan boy who accept everything from a brand which I like. BMW is my favourite brand, currently I have F10 and e92. I like them both and full LED tail lights looks much better and newer than old looking tail lights with regular bulbs (my last car with regular bulbs was e60). Now there is big competition between car makers and they must deliver performance, quality and on top of that car must be appealing, but regular bulbs like on old cars doesnt help here. Look new Porsche Cayman 981, every detail looks great and for sure its very good car to drive.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2012, 02:54 AM   #35
Black_Raider
Bosnia
Rep
Drives: Audi A5

So I guess they were like "here you go, we'll show you the concept model to blow your mind, and then we'll give you this crappy production model to crap on your expectations" I am definitely sticking to my Audi A5. So disappointed
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2012, 05:12 AM   #36
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Can not wait to see them testing the folding hard top version.

How far behind in production is the 4er Vert Jason?
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2012, 06:53 AM   #37
Jimjamz
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: G81 M3 Touring (Frozen Black)

Garage List
Production car looks way worse than concept

Why would BMW tease with the awesome coupe concept's taillights and coronas and then release such a plane Jane lamo production. They should never have released the concept only to underimpress on the production.

Appreciate 0
      12-15-2012, 07:35 AM   #38
antzcrashing
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 440i GC

Garage List
This car should have limited slip as an option
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2012, 07:38 AM   #39
antzcrashing
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonoNZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taipei-TT View Post
What's so important about LED brake lights? Around here they appear all brands of car - low and high end. It's almost special to not have them now. I can't understand why you wouldn't buy a car just because of brake lights.
They just look nice and make a car look modern and high end, a non Led car looks outdated the day it is new
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2012, 07:43 AM   #40
fermion33
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW F32 440i 6MT M-PPSK

Hey Guys,

I can fully understand that many of you are currently a bit dissappointed.

The 4 series coupe concept is a really, really stunning car, that many, many people all over the internet fall in love with the very day it was released.

But please try not to forget, that it is a concept. The very reason for its existence is to tease people and to create interest for whatever might come down the road.

We all knew, that many of the concept car's details wouldn't make it into the production version. This has always been the case with concept cars.

I see it as follows:
- We will not get the concept car's front bumper. To me and many others this won't be a problem as many people didn't like its oversized air intakes anyway. Actually I think it was the concept car's one weak spot, if there was any. If, and I'm quite sure of that, we get an option to get a front bumber similar to the one on the F30 M sport, I'll be happy.

- We might not get the cool LED-technology front lights. I loved them on the concept car too, but I also love the Xenons on the current F30. So if we don't get the cool hexagonal LED lights that they mounted on the concept, we will still get something as cool as the F30 Xenons´, with their corona lights and the cool stripe above. I would even assume, that the LEDs lights will be offered as an upgrade option for those willing to pay for them. Alltogether the front of the F32 will look as good or even slightly better/sportier/more aggressive than the front of the F30, which, in my eyes, is already looking stunningly good (esp. in M sport trim).

- We will not get the real cool integrated exhaust pipes of the concept car. That one is hard for me, because I love them, but I'm realist enough to see that they are simply not feasible from the production point of view. I'm sure I can live with a normal exhaust pipe setup quite fine.

- We will not get the rear bumber shown on the concept car. To me this is no big deal, as I didn't like it that much anyway (apart from the exhaust pipes). I think a F30 style M sport bumber will do at least as fine, although I personally would prefer something a bit slimmer.

- We might not get the LED tail lights. I agree that the ones on the concept were really nice, but I also don't think that the non-LED ones on current production models are ugly either. The best thing is that the light units will very likely maintain the overall shape of the concept ones. For me that is much more important. Have you seen the flat and wide stance of the concept? The shape of the lights very much helped in underscoring the width of the car and the production tail lights won't do worse in that aspect.

- We will not get the overdressed interior of the concept. Rather will we see something that only deviates in minor details from what can be found in the F30. As I very much like the current F30 interior (again esp. in M sport trim), I do have absolutely no problem if there won't be any brown leather stitching as long as I get my beautiful alcantara seats, which I probably will get, being located in Germany. (Please don't be jealous, should you live in the US and therefore not be able to get it. Just remember that I pay almost 40% more for the car in its country of origin than what you pay for it after it has been shipped around half the world to reach you.)

- We will not get mirrors or door handles of the concept car. The F30 production ones, that will likely be found on the F32 production car are damn fine as well.

- We WILL, and this is really the best part, get a car that has almost exactly (if not exactly) the same sheet metal parts as the concept car. This in turn means, that the overall dimensions, shape, size and so on of the production car will be exactly what we have seen in the concept. I don't know what you guys have seen, but I have seen a car with a gorgeous shape, stance and silhuette. I have seen a masterpiece of modern design. A sculpture of a car. A car with perfect proportions. Heck, I would love to be able to buy one in 1:18 scale so that I could enjoy it on my desk until the real deal arrives! And none of the above will be destroyed by a different set of fenders or lights!
The E92 is one of the most beautiful cars around. But could you please do your own reality check and describe the differences between it and the E90? I found no significant ones other than the overall shape. To me bumpers, lights and mirrors are all basically (if not actually) the same. Still the E92 is gorgeous as will be the F32.

Differentiation between F30/F32, 3/4 series:
I actually do not care the least bit about BMWs naming sceme. I do not care about the naming of the engines, nor do I car about the naming of the chassis. As long as I know beforehand what I get, everything is fine.
To me these naming scemes are just a plot to manipulate uninformed non-enthusiasts.
For the mentioned extra of around 2000 € to 2500 €, they will not build you a car that is much better then the F30. How could they? In Germany that money will barely buy you the leather interior for the F30, so you expected that you get LED lights (front and rear), integrated exhaust pipes, stainless steel door handles, 20 inch wheels for that small amount of money? When you know that the price difference between the E90 and E92 has already been more than 2000 €? Come on.

I'm utterly convinced that the F32 will be a drop down gorgeous looking stunner of a coupe. Those of us that require the extra dose will be able to pair it with huge 20 inch wheels and m performance body kits.

I personally can hardly await the arrival of my 420d/425d (depending on price / engine characteristics) M sport, manual transmission, rear wheel drive, estoril blue or maybe some shade of grey beauty. In fact I can already see me drive it from the long roads of scandinavia over the mountain passes of the alps to the shores of the mediterranean sea...
And then I will wash it by hand! ;-)
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2012, 08:52 AM   #41
new2013baby
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 BMW 325Ci

LED technology performs better, is aesthetically pleasing, and is commonplace today. There is no excuse for BMW not to employ the technology on the new 4er. I pay a premium for BMWs and I expect a premium product.

Last edited by new2013baby; 12-15-2012 at 10:04 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2012, 09:06 AM   #42
fermion33
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW F32 440i 6MT M-PPSK

I wouldn't be so sure about it performing better.

In the current issue of the german car magazine "Auto Bild" they tested several current light systems and usually the Xenons still outperformed the LED systems (at least the one on the 6 series).

In addition there seem to be some manufacturing problems that still need to be sorted out. In the same issue of the magazine there was a list of all recent product recall campaigns and BMW was listed there with problems on the LED tail lights of several models.

From my point of view, LED is currently primarily a cosmetic thing. One that doesn't come cheap. And as I said, if we indeed only pay ~2500 € on top of a similar configured F30, I think that amount simply doesn't get us all of our wishes.
I'm sure that you can get those LEDs as an option if you are willing to pay some (probably hefty) extra for it. I'm happy that they try to maintain a reasonable price tag for all of us who can live without them.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2012, 09:57 AM   #43
antzcrashing
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by fermion33 View Post
I wouldn't be so sure about it performing better.

In the current issue of the german car magazine "Auto Bild" they tested several current light systems and usually the Xenons still outperformed the LED systems (at least the one on the 6 series).

In addition there seem to be some manufacturing problems that still need to be sorted out. In the same issue of the magazine there was a list of all recent product recall campaigns and BMW was listed there with problems on the LED tail lights of several models.

From my point of view, LED is currently primarily a cosmetic thing. One that doesn't come cheap. And as I said, if we indeed only pay ~2500 € on top of a similar configured F30, I think that amount simply doesn't get us all of our wishes.
I'm sure that you can get those LEDs as an option if you are willing to pay some (probably hefty) extra for it. I'm happy that they try to maintain a reasonable price tag for all of us who can live without them.
LED taillights illuminate faster, which at highway speeds gives improvement in detection time by the car behind you. Though I agree that they are mostly cosmetic
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2012, 10:16 AM   #44
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

This is a car that is still intensively disguised in pre-production form.
This is the first prototypes off the production line and begin a new phase of development to make sure everything is reliable and performs well so the car can be signed off for series production.

The concept as I have mentioned previously regarding BMW "Preview" concepts is 90% the final car , Here you do not see the full picture , cosmetics are not compulsory at this stage some cars have them and some cars do not. It all depends how good the photographers are.

Just be patient.