F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Catless dp with spacer question
Extreme Powerhouse

07-27-2022, 11:16 PM   #1
Dvtchmxn
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 440ix, '16 228ix (Sold)

Garage List
Catless dp with spacer question

Anyone with a catless dp with a o2 sensor installed I have a question. With the spacer are any of your monitors in a "not ready" state? Also, any CEL? Just asking because I plan on going that route and if I won't have to swap the stock cat back on during inspection time(NY) that would be amazing.
Appreciate 1
      07-28-2022, 12:52 PM   #2
PEREZRAPHAEL
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 340xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvtchmxn View Post
Anyone with a catless dp with a o2 sensor installed I have a question. With the spacer are any of your monitors in a "not ready" state? Also, any CEL? Just asking because I plan on going that route and if I won't have to swap the stock cat back on during inspection time(NY) that would be amazing.
atleast for me I don't have a o2 spacer and I am catless but i still haven't received a CEL I imagine it's because it's tuned with MHD and they disable it already but i'm not sure. I have a 340i btw
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2022, 01:32 PM   #3
Zerxus
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: F32 440i Mppsk X-drive

Forget the CEL or readiness monitors, I wonder if a legit shop will even pass it on a visual. I somehow think they are going to be much more stringent with this new "SLEEP" act they passed.

I'm stock with MPPSK, Curious to see feedback on the "NEW" NYS inspections that are supposed to be in place this year. I'm due in September. But I wonder what hoops I'd have to jump through here, to go to stage 2...
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2022, 04:06 PM   #4
Dvtchmxn
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerxus View Post
Forget the CEL or readiness monitors, I wonder if a legit shop will even pass it on a visual. I somehow think they are going to be much more stringent with this new "SLEEP" act they passed.

I'm stock with MPPSK, Curious to see feedback on the "NEW" NYS inspections that are supposed to be in place this year. I'm due in September. But I wonder what hoops I'd have to jump through here, to go to stage 2...
ask around for local shops that are chill with inspections, thats what I did. Plus my good friend's dad owns a shop and he passed the inspection on my 2
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2022, 05:41 PM   #5
Gen13 F36
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 428i Gran Coupe

Quote:
ask around for local shops that are chill with inspections, thats what I did. Plus my good friend's dad owns a shop and he passed the inspection on my 2
Yup, got to keep those connections, for some low key guy who will do pass your car for certain amount $$ under the table. Even then you have to dodge the law on everyday. I know I live that fast and the furious life, I drove a 98 240sx with JDM swap for 12 years.....every 2yrs gotta smog that in California at that. Every corner gotta watch out for law enforcement....

Gotta pay to play.

I bought this BMW to get away from all that hassle. And I thought I got away...lol
I gotta mod my F36 N26.....and there it go BM3 and xHP....even got a awe exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2022, 06:10 PM   #6
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

There's tons of threads that discuss this, if you are B58 go to their technical section, here's the one for N55. https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1522965

If your state starts doing CVN checks on DME, you will automatically fail with any tune. Tune also only hides CEL, does not change monitor readyness. Some report success with spacers on secondary O2 to get monitor ready, YMMV. Also, make sure you dont run monitor long term, depending on your vehicle, can mess with fuel trims, an entirely separate discussion.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2022, 10:02 PM   #7
Dvtchmxn
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeremyman9 View Post
There's tons of threads that discuss this, if you are B58 go to their technical section, here's the one for N55. https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1522965

If your state starts doing CVN checks on DME, you will automatically fail with any tune. Tune also only hides CEL, does not change monitor readyness. Some report success with spacers on secondary O2 to get monitor ready, YMMV. Also, make sure you dont run monitor long term, depending on your vehicle, can mess with fuel trims, an entirely separate discussion.
what do you mean by "dont run monitor long term?"
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2022, 08:05 AM   #8
Juwan320
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 bmw 340i xdrive

Quote:
I had one on for a while and I never got a CEL but after maybe a month my car started to flutter on idle and wanted to stall if I didn't give it a little gas so I wouldn't do it
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2022, 08:25 AM   #9
im_an_alien
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i

Quote:
what do you mean by "dont run monitor long term?"
Typo, they mean don't run spacer too long..
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2022, 08:37 AM   #10
BMWILUVU
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 340ix

I used to run O2 spacer on BM3 but now am running it stock catless and wasn't getting cel ever and was IM ready and I did not have BM3 automatically erasing cels. Since getting a DME update, I am still IM ready but BMW now throws intermittent cel regarding slow response of downstream sensor which goes away and returns once in a while. Anotherwords, imo, BMW may have tightened up the operating tolerances for downstream O2 for whatever reasons as you can speculate. You can play with different O2 configurations and gaps to maybe make it go away for good but I haven't had the time myself to play around with this since the error is minor and the fuel trims are inline. DTC has that slow response error but the readiness check is still checked so in most states it would pass emissions read by OBD but I still plan on reinstalling stock downpipe before inspection not taking any chances. A handful of guys are running O2 spacers on catless not many but maybe they'll chime in as well.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2022, 11:14 AM   #11
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by im_an_alien View Post
Typo, they mean don't run spacer too long..
yes, sorry type, dont run spacer long term

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juwan320 View Post
I had one on for a while and I never got a CEL but after maybe a month my car started to flutter on idle and wanted to stall if I didn't give it a little gas so I wouldn't do it
This is why
Appreciate 0