F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Removed phone cradle
ARMA SPEED

03-10-2018, 06:09 PM   #89
Skiddz
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X4 MC

I removed my cradle and installed the mat in 428 armrest today; ordering the USB connector and doing that portion of the mod next. Thanks guys! I will admit that the wide connector wasn't cooperating on being fed up through the armrest, so I simply cut it off...made removal much faster
Appreciate 1
CraigJ29.00
      03-15-2018, 07:02 AM   #90
fishwoker
Rep
Drives: BMW F34 328i

Help with making the connection work

Looking for some help as here as I haven't been able to have the car recognise the USB connection after making the same connection that Dylan did (the green USB female joint to the blue plug) - the offending ridge was removed and the green plug was pushed in all the way. But the connection doesn't seem to recognise any device. I've tried multiple cables to no avail. Any ideas would be useful. Perhaps I'd pulled on some other wire when removing the cradle/ dock earlier... Would love to have your ideas!
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2018, 01:25 PM   #91
CraigJ
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F20 M135i

Hi guys i've been attempting this mod today but came across a problem, when i removed my snap in adapter there was only two cables on it. One has the black multiplug and the other has the purple plug, i don't have a cable with the blue plug needed for the USB socket. I thought my car had EBT from factory but if there was no usb connection to the snap in adapter i must be wrong. looks like i will have to run a cable and code EBT. Has anyone else had the same problem?
      05-05-2018, 12:25 PM   #92
scotsman335dxDrive
Second Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 335d xDrive M Sport Plus

Hi guys, I have just done this mod and if i plug any USB key into the green USB connector that i plugged into the blue Fakra one in the car it recognises it but if i add a USB extender cable (which works on my PC ) nothing gets recognised, any ideas ? Would this cable https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FAKRA-HSD...-/301894803080 be what i am after if all else fails ?

Last edited by scotsman335dxDrive; 05-05-2018 at 12:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2018, 09:12 PM   #93
F30inLA
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchweiZ4 View Post
Okay, I did it - I removed the phone cradle and got more space for less than $20 in less than 45 min.

I have written everything below with pics to help out.

Problematic:
Phone snap-in cradle costs $200, so basically the same price that I pay for a new phone every 2 years. So I won't buy a new phone snap-in every 2 years for $200.
Besides, I don't really need this; I already have bluetooth connection for my phone and I don't believe in the antenna thing with the snap in.
And finally, more space in the center armrest will be more than welcome.

Replacement time:
45 min in my case with no instructions. Maybe less for you with this.

Tools:
Trim tools + 1 flat screw.

Complexity:
3/5. The phone cradle is a bit hard to remove. Then some cables might be complex to pull out - but nothing not manageable.

Price:
less than $20 for the replacement part "Mat insert, storage compartment, middle" part number #51169227902. Ordered at my BMW dealership.
Part #06

Steps summary:
Here is a summary of steps. So that you know what needs to be done first.
1. Pull the phone cradle out starting from the top of it. [used trim tool + fingers]
2. Pull out rear air grille [tim tool + fingers] [Part #04]
3. Unplug the 3 connectors [flat screw]
4. Push connectors behind air duck and under phone cradle [fingers]
5. Unlock main cable fuse and cables from cable holders [flat screw]
6. Pull everything out: phone cradle and its cables [hand]
7. Put the new mat in place

Detailed steps:

Tools:

1. Pull the phone cradle out starting from the top of it. [used trim tool + fingers]

The goal here is to pull out the phone cradle. There are 3 rows of 2 clips to lift. Total of 6 (see pic 4).
Start with a thin tool at the top of the cradle. With this tool you should be able to lift the first and maybe also second rows of clips.

Then you should be able to pull everything out. The latest clips should go out.
Do not hesistate to pull. At first, it seems that it won't come out and eventually break the part, but it doesn't. You should ear and feel each row of clips popping out.

You should end up with this:

2. Pull out rear air grille [tim tool + fingers]
The goal at this step is to pull the rear ear grill out to unplug cable connectors located behind.
Here I consider and I was able to do everything just by removing the grill. I didn't have to remove all the center console as I have seen on some pictures. Besides, I find it very hard to open the center console.

So, this is very easy, just insert your thin tool at the top of the grill and lever. The grill will go out very easily.

3. Unplug the 3 connectors [flat screw]

Use a flat screw to push at the right spot on the connector to unlock it.
You will have to unlock:
  • 1 blue connector
  • 1 black connector
  • 1 square connector for two cables
For the first 2, you need to push with the flat screw at the right spot to unlock the connector.
For the last one, you need to lift the bar, which will unlock the big black square connector.

First connector: blue one

Second connector: black one just under the blue one.

Last connector. Lift the connector bar to unlock it.

You should end up with this.

4. Push connectors behind air duck and under phone cradle [fingers]
The goal of this step is to push the cable behind the air duck and close to the exit near the phone cradle cable hole.
The first 2 cable connectors passes easily next to the air duck, but the big square connector won't.
In order to make it, you need to pull the air duck out a bit, push the square connector and put the air duck back in place.

5. Unlock main cable fuse and cables from cable holders [flat screw]
Now you think this is done. Cable connectors are right under the cable hole and snap in cradle popped out.
You just need one last thing: unlock the main and biggest cable fuse and other cables from their holders.

Take the flat screw, place it in each cable holes and push down the following:
  • 1 main cable fuse [RED]
  • 3 cable holders [ORANGE]
A picture is missing here, but you should end up with what you see on picture.

6. Pull everything out: phone cradle and its cables [hand]
You are now done. Everything will come out if you pull like on the picture above.

7. Put the new mat in place
Order from my dealership for less than $20.

Thank you for such a detailed how-to. I’m sorry to be posting on an old thread but I’ve just removed the phone cradle from my car and I’m wondering if this will void the warranty if I take it to the dealer. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2018, 05:17 AM   #94
SchweiZ4
Private First Class
France
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 M50d

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30inLA View Post

Thank you for such a detailed how-to. I'm sorry to be posting on an old thread but I've just removed the phone cradle from my car and I'm wondering if this will void the warranty if I take it to the dealer. Thanks!
You're welcome.
I brought the car to the dealer many time since then for included services, camera and directional beam light problems and they haven't say a thing about it.
Not sure if you bring the car for a connectivity or phone connection problem that they won't find it and use it not take care of the issue under warranty.
Other than that, this is pretty invisible if you buy the official mat to replace the cradle. They won't say "hey what did you do here? We won't fix your rear camera issue because of that replacement of this useless part of the car"
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2018, 12:02 AM   #95
mannyhernz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: f30

looking to do this but cant find that usb connector anywhere??
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2018, 10:11 PM   #96
4xdrift
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30

Phone Cradle to USB retrofit diagnosis and coding CIC/Combox in trunk

Hello!

I just posted this in the main coding thread And am copying here in hopes of finding a solution.

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...2#post23290462

Hello Code Warriors!

A while back I lurked through the first 200 pages of this thread, and would like to thank all who have contributed to this wealth of information. I have since coded several features using the Bimmercode app, on my 2013 (manufacture date Dec. 10th, 2012) F30 with CIC HU, Combox in the trunk, and the following order options:

No. Description
1CA SELECTION COP RELEVANT VEHICLES
2DW 17"ALLOY WHEELS STARSPOKE 393
2VB TYRE PRESSURE INDICATOR
205 AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION
319 INTEGRATED UNIVERSAL REMOTE CONTROL
4AB FINE-WOOD TRIM BURR WALNUT
4DM HIGH.TRIM FIN. PEARL GLOSS CHROME
403 GLAS ROOF, ELECTRIC
423 FLOOR MATS, VELOUR
430 INT/EXT RR VW MIRROR W AUT ANTI-DAZZLE
431 INTERIOR RR VW MIRROR W AUT ANTI-D
459 SEAT ADJUSTM., ELECTR. W. MEMORY

465 THROUGH-LOAD SYSTEM
493 STORAGE COMPARTMENT PACKAGE
494 SEAT HEATING F DRIVER/FRONT PASSENGER
521 RAIN SENSOR
534 AUTOMATIC AIR CONDITIONING
563 LIGHTS PACKAGE
575 ADDITIONAL 12V POWER SOCKET
6AA BMW TELESERVICES
6AB CONTROL TELESERVICES
6NF EXT.CON.OF THE MUSIC PLAY.I.MOBILPH
6NL CONNECT. BLUETOOTH A.USB DEVICES IN
6NR APPS
6UH TRAFFIC INFORMATION
6VA CIC CONTROL
6WA INSTRUMENT CLUSTER W. EXTENDED CONT
609 NAVIGATION SYSTEM PROFESSIONAL
610 HEAD UP DISPLAY
615 EXTENDED BMW ONLINE INFORMATION
676 HIFI LOUDSPEAKER SYSTEM
693 SATELLITE TUNER PREPARATION
697 AREA-CODE 1
8KC OELSERVICEINT. 24.000KM/24MONTHS
8SC COUNTRY SPEC. RELEASE OF TELESERVICE
8TN DAYTIME DRIVING LIGHTS SELECTABLE B
9AA EXTERNAL SKIN PROTECTION
925 SHIPPING PROTECTION PACKAGE

No. Description
216 SERVOTRONIC
240 LEATHER STEERING WHEEL
249 MULTI-FUNCTION FOR STEERING WHEEL
258 RUNFLAT TYRES
4NE BLOW-BY-HEATER
5DS LUGGAGE-COMPARTMENT EMERG. RELEASE
520 FOGLIGHTS
544 CRUISE CONTROL WITH BRAKING FUNCTION
645 RADIO CONTROL US
823 HOT CLIMATE VERSION
845 ACOUSTIC BELT WARNING
853 LANGUAGE VERSION ENGLISH
876 RADIO FREQUENCY 315 MHZ
992 NUMBER PLATE ATTACHEMENT MANAGEMENT
993 MODEL YEAR CODE

I've installed the most recent software upgrade that will install on my car.
Unfortunately my car will not accept the more recent updates as BMW stopped supporting my car's configuration quite a while back.

Software support for external devices:

Multimedia: MX–003.005.004
Telephone: TX–003.005.008

Bluetooth SW Version: TX–003.005.008-003.004

Navigation version:

NA
BMW Group
Road map North America Premium 2013–1A

I use my phone running Waze for navigation, so never use BMW Nav.
Because I have Premium Nav., enabling Apple Car Play is not an option.

I recently replaced the phone cradle in the center armrest with the factory rubber mat, and bought the proper HSD cable and USB port from which I intend to route a cable through the consoles and out the vent that my phone mount sits in front of, eliminating the exposed cable running from the armrest port.

Here is the problem I'm seeking help with....

I have the HSD cable and USB port connected, with my iPhone 6s plugged in, and the car recognizes it. My phone's name is displayed on the iDrive screen next to the appropriate external device symbol. iTunes album info and cover art are properly displayed, and I can control iTunes using the iDrive control knob. At first it recognized Spotify, and the BMW APP launched, displaying the Spotify APP in the iDrive menu, which when selected, displayed all the Spotify info and art, and allowed me to control with the knob. But, with my second attempt Spotify no longer works. The biggest problem is that music will only play from my phone's speakers, not the car's speakers, and there is no device corresponding to the car listed in the phone's connect device menus. Everything works as it should when the phone is connected through the USB port located in the armrest compartment.

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...t=phone+cradle

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1108386

I found the above threads, one of which instructs to "Replace 6NH with 6NS in your VO and VO code NBT Nav.", which of course does not apply to my car given it is CIC.

I'm considering the possibility that the HSD cable may be faulty, and am looking for a FARKA to USB adapter to plug into the existing cable from the Combox to test, but haven't had any luck finding one yet.

It seems likely to me that if the problem is a coding issue, the solution would be most easily found here, so I posted here first. I have my fingers crossed!

Thank you in advance for any time and consideration you might afford towards helping to solve this problem. Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated. If it all gets sorted, I will post a proper tutorial for the benefit of others who may have the same or similar issues.

Best regards,

4x
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2018, 03:28 PM   #97
hilift
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330d f31 msport

Garage List
excellent thread , interesting reading .
i will be attacking my unused cradle very soon .
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2018, 09:20 AM   #98
J_Tremain
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i Sport

Is there a way to install a faster USB charging port in the armrest by tapping into the cigarette lighter power source? It would be nice to swap the existing USB port with a faster charging USB 3.0 port. Not sure if that would present a problem with the iDrive recognizing it though.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2018, 05:18 PM   #99
DJM4
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Tremain View Post
Is there a way to install a faster USB charging port in the armrest by tapping into the cigarette lighter power source? It would be nice to swap the existing USB port with a faster charging USB 3.0 port. Not sure if that would present a problem with the iDrive recognizing it though.
When I removed my cradle I was thinking of swapping the cable from the cradle with the one going to the usb connector. I didn't take the time to look to see if it is even an option. The 12v should be an option but you will need to get creative.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2018, 06:27 PM   #100
theblues
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MY14 328xi - Sportline

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Tremain View Post

Or at least to replace the cradle cable with a regular USB cable?
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2018, 07:59 AM   #101
Marc412
Enlisted Member
Abu Dhabi
Rep
Drives: Man

Do you know the max amps and voltage available on the power supply by the snap in.
I will need to charge my phone 5volts and 2A;
Is it too much for the SNAP IN?
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2018, 04:02 AM   #102
IAmATeaf
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2015 F30 335i

Garage List
2015 BMW 335i  [0.00]
I’m glad this thread popped up, I have one of these for an iPhone 5 in my car which I’ve never used and does just get in the way, I’m also getting miffed with the inflexibility when using the onboard hard drive to store songs so this thread has given me the idea to replace the lot with an iPod classic to store my songs.

Trying to find the plastic tray on eBay, once that’s ordered I’ll need to find an iPod classic, surprising how much these old things go for!
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2018, 05:19 PM   #103
alistairk
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i MSport, 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmATeaf View Post
I’m glad this thread popped up, I have one of these for an iPhone 5 in my car which I’ve never used and does just get in the way, I’m also getting miffed with the inflexibility when using the onboard hard drive to store songs so this thread has given me the idea to replace the lot with an iPod classic to store my songs.

Trying to find the plastic tray on eBay, once that’s ordered I’ll need to find an iPod classic, surprising how much these old things go for!
If you're doing this and don't already have the classic, you might consider going with a usb flash drive. They're quite a bit cheaper, smaller, faster (flash memory vs. hdd) and aren't as susceptible to overheat issues. Since you're not using the fancy UI of the ipod anyhow, it works out well assuming your digital music collection is somewhat organized to begin with.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2018, 04:25 AM   #104
IAmATeaf
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2015 F30 335i

Garage List
2015 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by alistairk View Post
If you're doing this and don't already have the classic, you might consider going with a usb flash drive. They're quite a bit cheaper, smaller, faster (flash memory vs. hdd) and aren't as susceptible to overheat issues. Since you're not using the fancy UI of the ipod anyhow, it works out well assuming your digital music collection is somewhat organized to begin with.
I’ve had used a usb before but found that every now and again it wouldn’t be detected when I started the car which is why I imported to the music collection but when you need to make a change by adding a track there’s no easy way to do that with the music collection.

I’ll rip it all out and install a usb socket that way I have a choice?
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2018, 04:21 PM   #105
kingmonkey8
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 428i

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmATeaf View Post
I’ve had used a usb before but found that every now and again it wouldn’t be detected when I started the car which is why I imported to the music collection but when you need to make a change by adding a track there’s no easy way to do that with the music collection.

I’ll rip it all out and install a usb socket that way I have a choice?
Try changing the USB stick. I use a 64gb Sandisk and don't have any issues.
I don't bother with the music collection and just take out the USB stick to make any changes.
If you were to install a secondary USB socket. Where would you you access it?
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2018, 03:54 PM   #106
alistairk
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i MSport, 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingmonkey8 View Post
Try changing the USB stick. I use a 64gb Sandisk and don't have any issues.
I don't bother with the music collection and just take out the USB stick to make any changes.
If you were to install a secondary USB socket. Where would you you access it?
Agree on trying another drive and make sure it is formatted properly; I do the same as far as updating the usb drive, never messed with the onboard storage.

I actually used to run the iPod classic setup but as those things have aged the mechanical spool up time would cause a huge delay between when I started my car and the device kicked in. Later upgraded to an iPod touch, but that would overheat pretty frequently in SoCal. Subsequently found this forum and got turned on the to USB solution (very detailed post by mynamesnotbob https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...ight=usb+music). More reliability and less cost.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2019, 10:36 PM   #107
j.gerbes
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 320i F30

Thanks for this write-up. I have just removed my snap-in adapter to free up some storage space.

Does anyone know what I'd need to code to remove the cradle from the 'media' options in iDrive?
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2019, 09:25 AM   #108
scotsman335dxDrive
Second Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 335d xDrive M Sport Plus

No coding required, just remove.
      01-27-2019, 05:23 PM   #109
j.gerbes
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 320i F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotsman335dxDrive View Post
No coding required, just remove.
I have removed the cradle, but the option still appears in iDrive
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2019, 12:52 AM   #110
omorzo
Always on track!
Italy
Rep
Drives: 328i

Garage List
I removed the cradle too. But there isn't the blue USB connector in it. Why?
Appreciate 0