F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > 6MT clutch and flywheel Upgrade?
proTUNING Freaks

07-30-2017, 11:46 AM   #23
Tchao
Boost Addict
Rep
Drives: E30, E82, F30, F87

Like I said....if it's not slipping in 4th when you are WOT, its not your clutch, its our stupid CDV.
Shift to 4th, cruise at 2k, then WOT it. At peak torque around 3k-4k and youre not slipping its not the clutch.

We just need lines made and use the old metal E9x slaves you can still find online.

Also ChickenJoe, can you share who did a successful CDV here?
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2017, 11:50 AM   #24
Chicken_Joe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 335i M Sport. EB 6M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tchao View Post
Like I said....if it's not slipping in 4th when you are WOT, its not your clutch, its our stupid CDV.
Shift to 4th, cruise at 2k, then WOT it. At peak torque around 3k-4k and youre not slipping its not the clutch.

We just need lines made and use the old metal E9x slaves you can still find online.

I will try this. I don't want to crash my LPFP tho lmfao. Idk who the fuck did it. I think that guy with the 535i. He is on this thread
13' 335i M Sport. EBII/Coral Red 6MT. RPI GT exhaust, Resonator delete, PS1, GFB DV , BM3 Stage 2, ER CP, VRSF DP, VRSF 5.5in Stepped FMIC, Dinan Shockware. Carbon M Performance rear diffuser. M4 trunk lip. Conti DWS06 225/40/19 and 255/35/19
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2017, 11:52 AM   #25
Chicken_Joe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmw doubles View Post
The 550/335is clutch fits on the N55. Mine is running like a champ with 500wtq. The CDV is built in for you guys. Mine is not so maybe a mod to an earlier clutch slave cylinder is possible for you guys.
Quote:
The 550/335is clutch fits on the N55. Mine is running like a champ with 500wtq. The CDV is built in for you guys. Mine is not so maybe a mod to an earlier clutch slave cylinder is possible for you guys.
You are one of the only people I know of with a modded CDV on you're car. I wonder if the 535 Slave is compatible with the F30
13' 335i M Sport. EBII/Coral Red 6MT. RPI GT exhaust, Resonator delete, PS1, GFB DV , BM3 Stage 2, ER CP, VRSF DP, VRSF 5.5in Stepped FMIC, Dinan Shockware. Carbon M Performance rear diffuser. M4 trunk lip. Conti DWS06 225/40/19 and 255/35/19
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2017, 11:54 AM   #26
Chicken_Joe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Also, the clutch only slipped like that when I was running about 7 gallons of E85 from my local station. It has never happened on pump gas. I can fill it with more E85 today and see if it happens again
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2017, 12:34 PM   #27
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
So for clarity, a modded CDV is a plastic or metal valve adaptor that's external to the clutch slave. Modding the CDV in this instance is boring out the center of the exposed CDV and making the internal diameter larger. If you're not under warranty anymore completely deleting it is the solution to this slipping.

Incases where the CDV is internal and therefore not modifiable I'm suggesting modding the entire clutch slave to a version where the CDV is on the outside. Mine is a 2011 and I'm not sure when they started putting the CDV inside the clutch slave.

https://www.zeckhausen.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=6562
535i MIssion Performance, PS2, Helix HPFP Kit, Wagner FMIC, Spec 3 clutch, Steel SMF, Wolf Racing CP, UUC SSK, GFB dv, SprintBooster, Custom Dynomax Exhaust, M5 Sways, Eibach OE Springs, Koni Sports Adjustable, Custom Short Ram CAI

IG: @bmwdoubles
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2017, 01:46 PM   #28
Chicken_Joe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So for clarity, a modded CDV is a plastic or metal valve adaptor that's external to the clutch slave. Modding the CDV in this instance is boring out the center of the exposed CDV and making the internal diameter larger. If you're not under warranty anymore completely deleting it is the solution to this slipping.

Incases where the CDV is internal and therefore not modifiable I'm suggesting modding the entire clutch slave to a version where the CDV is on the outside. Mine is a 2011 and I'm not sure when they started putting the CDV inside the clutch slave.

https://www.zeckhausen.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=6562
I believe it was the same part as the e90 but they just got rid of the part number when they made it internally integrated. But you are for sure thinking this is the cause of my slipping? I went out and just put 7 gallons of "E85" in the car and will be trying to make it slip like it did before. Same map 5 any mods. Will be updating throughout the week.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2017, 02:52 PM   #29
Chicken_Joe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

So which one of these parts would be where the CDV is located? I was thinking it would be 13 or maybe 14
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-31-2017, 02:17 PM   #30
Tchao
Boost Addict
Rep

The CDV is inside your slave...so it would be #14.

Has anyone taken off their slave? I wonder if the restrictor is right at the line connection, or is it casted internally?
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2017, 04:39 PM   #31
Chicken_Joe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The CDV is inside your slave...so it would be #14.

Has anyone taken off their slave? I wonder if the restrictor is right at the line connection, or is it casted internally?
I would hope it's not case internally. If it is it would only be a matter of making a new line but ibmay try and find a slave to buy and fool with for a little bit
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2017, 05:39 PM   #32
Tchao
Boost Addict
Rep

So the CDV is built into the plastic casting for sure. Only question is if its near the outside so we can drill it out bigger, or is it somewhere deeper in, and therefore we are screwed.
I think the latter.

Anyhoo, its pretty simple if you get new lines, just buy a E90 metal slave and call it a day.
Appreciate 2
      08-01-2017, 12:21 PM   #33
Chicken_Joe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Guys would it be possible that I glazed my clutch and it's not actually slipping but when it get really hot it goes not grab well?
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2017, 02:35 PM   #34
Tchao
Boost Addict
Rep

Yes it definitely can. We run organic as OE, so definately can glaze if its slips and allowed to for a long duration. Like a 1-2 shift with the CDV...and you keep it WOT even when you know its slipping. Usually you will smell it too. Organic clutches STINKS.

Not sure how "deGlazing" really works, or even if it works. Your flywheel should be impregnated with polished tiny glass-like particles from the clutch when you glaze. Some say to ride the clutch several times to grind it away. But I cannot trust that suggestion. Maybe others can chime in?
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2017, 06:29 PM   #35
Chicken_Joe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes it definitely can. We run organic as OE, so definately can glaze if its slips and allowed to for a long duration. Like a 1-2 shift with the CDV...and you keep it WOT even when you know its slipping. Usually you will smell it too. Organic clutches STINKS.

Not sure how "deGlazing" really works, or even if it works. Your flywheel should be impregnated with polished tiny glass-like particles from the clutch when you glaze. Some say to ride the clutch several times to grind it away. But I cannot trust that suggestion. Maybe others can chime in?
I see. Thank you for your help. This makes more sense. I had a feeling that if it was slipping then it would definitely slip when I try to make it. I think that if I glazed it I would only be when it's super hot. As I may have said earlier, I went back roading on Sunday and drove the car very hard in 2-3rd gears. Trans temp was 200+ and I was running the same E85 blend I was before. However because I am cautious of unknown road I left the tracking control in sport so the rear tires really didn't have any slip. Maybe if I would have done the same thing in maybe Sport+ or DSC off like I normally drive it would have "slipped" like it did previously with the engine and trans hot. I did smell something weird on our drive but all of the cars were catless and had many mods so it may have been another car. Could have been brakes or something else from the STI or the N54 ahead of me.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2017, 10:55 PM   #36
Bigmo93
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i X Drive M Sport 6MT

Chicken joe, did you ever end up replacing your clutch? If so what'd you go with? And any answer to the crappy CDV?
      11-23-2017, 11:31 PM   #37
Hansboost
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 435i

Yes, I have felt this on WOT 1 -> 2 shifts and even 2 -> 3 shifts while stock. Hoping someone will be able to solve this soon
Appreciate 1
      11-24-2017, 10:58 AM   #38
Chicken_Joe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmo93 View Post
Chicken joe, did you ever end up replacing your clutch? If so what'd you go with? And any answer to the crappy CDV?
I actually never replaced my clutch. I weirdly haven't had it slip anymore. I think it may have been something that happened when the temps outside were very hot and the tranny was also very hot and it cause the clutch to slip. It's been cooler here in STL and I have run like 8.5 gallons of E85 and dogged the Car super hard and haven't had an issue at all.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2017, 03:39 PM   #39
Bigmo93
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicken_Joe View Post
Quote:
I actually never replaced my clutch. I weirdly haven't had it slip anymore. I think it may have been something that happened when the temps outside were very hot and the tranny was also very hot and it cause the clutch to slip. It's been cooler here in STL and I have run like 8.5 gallons of E85 and dogged the Car super hard and haven't had an issue at all.
Quote:
Quote:
Interesting. Glad you never had to replace it. I don't have the balls to run past map 1 on my stock clutch I just feel like I'm gonna blow it up every time!
      11-24-2017, 11:28 PM   #40
Chicken_Joe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Interesting. Glad you never had to replace it. I don't have the balls to run past map 1 on my stock clutch I just feel like I'm gonna blow it up every time!
I have run map7 on 110 race gas lol it will hold. Especially when it's cold.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2017, 08:08 PM   #41
Bigmo93
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Good to know. I've had my ER catless downpipe sitting in the box untouched for 8 months because I've been too much of a baby to put it in and run map 2 ???? was worried about blowing up the clutch with the increased power
      11-30-2017, 08:42 PM   #42
Carbon.F30
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335xi (M-Sport)

Bruh I also have this issue, dealer says it’s clutch related so I’m gonna be looking at changing or upgrading the clutch.

I mean, I might as well upgrade if the labour alone costs $1200. Let me know replacement options if you come across anything good!

Last edited by Carbon.F30; 11-30-2017 at 08:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2017, 12:06 AM   #43
Chicken_Joe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

I think it's hit or miss really. If you get the clutch super hot it may slip a smidge but if you kinda figure out how to drive it you should not have an issue I don't think. That's not being derogatory in any way but the ZF and 6MT drive way different. ZF will basically save itself with the computer slipping the converter the manual trans will not.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2017, 12:08 AM   #44
Chicken_Joe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Good to know. I've had my ER catless downpipe sitting in the box untouched for 8 months because I've been too much of a baby to put it in and run map 2 ???? was worried about blowing up the clutch with the increased power
I run map 5 on the regular with all mods aside form turbo and meth. Should not have any issues running map2 or 5. Tbh map1 is how the car should have come from the factory. It's not "fast" but it's wayyyyy better then what the stock tuning is and is a representation of what it should be like when you buy a turbo inline 6 Car.
Appreciate 0