F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > Fog light to hight beam
Extreme Powerhouse

01-05-2018, 01:58 PM   #1
zpcoding
Registered
Turkey
Rep
Drives: f30

Fog light to hight beam

hello how can I code fog lamps that I activate high beam that the fog lights also on
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2018, 02:32 PM   #2
AMSWagon
Private
Rep
Drives: G63

Quote:
Originally Posted by zpcoding View Post
hello how can I code fog lamps that I activate high beam that the fog lights also on
I might be wrong in this, but you would have to code. To have your high beams and fog lights on at the same time.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2018, 02:51 PM   #3
iAlexander
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 320i, W211 E350

You can't enable both at the same time because both lights are super bright so it defeats the purpose to have the fog lights on (designed to make you visible to other traffic) and the high beams on (which also make you more than visible to traffic) at the same time. I don't believe there's an option to enable both at the same time automatically because the combination is blinding and dangerous to other drivers. You'll have to enable the high beams and fog lights separately. Please make sure you don't blind oncoming traffic by having both on at the same time. Fog lights are supposed to make you more visible to others — Not serve as extra headlights.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2018, 03:09 PM   #4
John in VA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by iAlexander View Post
You can't enable both at the same time because both lights are super bright so it defeats the purpose to have the fog lights on (designed to make you visible to other traffic) and the high beams on (which also make you more than visible to traffic) at the same time.
While it might not make sense to have high beams & fogs on at the same time it can be coded. See the "cheat sheet."
2015 BMW 228i in EstorilBlau II Metallic / Terra Dakota Leather - 6-speed manual, M Sport Package, Cold Weather Package, Lighting Package, Premium Package, Harman Kardon premium sound, Anti-theft alarm system, Blue Metallic Matt Accent Moldings, Aluminum Hexagon Interior Strips, Anthracite Headlining
Appreciate 1
Billfitz8243.00
      01-07-2018, 04:23 PM   #5
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by John in VA View Post
While it might not make sense to have high beams & fogs on at the same time it can be coded.
I don't feel the need for it myself, but since the beam patterns are completely different there's no technical reason why you shouldn't do it. Maybe if you're dealing with winding roads where you might want both maximum depth and maximum width of coverage at the same time it could be worthwhile.
Quote:
Fog lights are supposed to make you more visible to others — Not serve as extra headlights.
Fog lights are there to provide better illumination close to the front and sides when needed. For instance, in fog. They should have zero effect with oncoming traffic, as they are supposed to be aimed too low for that to occur.
Appreciate 1