F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Tracking / Racing / Autocrossing > Just signed up for my first SCCA event, rule questions
Studio RSR

03-05-2018, 05:10 PM   #1
badbread
not good, but bad
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i

Just signed up for my first SCCA event, rule questions

Hi all,
So I just signed up for my first SCCA event, Starting Line.

I was just reading through the 1000000 rules and saw something in there about CATS, but was unclear, can I run CAT-less?

Also, do I need a helmet for this event?

Given all my mods, it looks like I would be considered "street prepared"?
Tune, FMIC, Intake, chargepipe, Catless, more than 15% ethanol/e85 in the tank

Is going to this event with run-flats pointless? Should I swap my tires out before it? (Even though they aren't quite ready yet)

Thanks!!
zinner559.00
      03-05-2018, 08:37 PM   #2
ClevelandBeemer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 335i M-Sport

Garage List
2021 BMW X5 45e  [0.00]
2013 335i  [0.00]
2015 BMW S1000R  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by badbread View Post
Hi all,
So I just signed up for my first SCCA event, Starting Line.

I was just reading through the 1000000 rules and saw something in there about CATS, but was unclear, can I run CAT-less?

Also, do I need a helmet for this event?

Given all my mods, it looks like I would be considered "street prepared"?
Tune, FMIC, Intake, chargepipe, Catless, more than 15% ethanol/e85 in the tank

Is going to this event with run-flats pointless? Should I swap my tires out before it? (Even though they aren't quite ready yet)

Thanks!!
That is correct you would be in street prepared, specifically ASP. Unless you run full competition coilovers, camber plates, larger sway bars, and 200tw tires or something more sticky you will have a very hard time being competitive.

In autoX suspension and tires will almost always trump power. The bad news is because of your DP and FMIC ASP is your only class option. To go street touring you must ditch the upgraded FMIC for the stock one, get a DP with 100 cell converter or larger, and run only 93 octane or lower from the pump.

The good news is you will have a ton of fun still. My advice is go easy on the tune as autox will place a great deal of stress on your drivetrain. I'd try keeping it anywhere from stock to less than 17psi. The more you stress the car the higher the likelihood of something breaking.

Most importantly yes you need a helmet. The SCCA rules have an entire chapter on what helmets are acceptable.

If you have one set of wheels and you daily your car I suggest you invest in Michelin Pilot Sport 4S or Continental ExtremeContact Sports. If you have a second set of wheels go with a set of Hoosiers! No matter what get on to non-runflat wider rubber at least 245X40 on an 18" wheel.

If it were me I'd use your first event to kill off the RFT's then if you are going to autoX more often purchase better rubber.
Appreciate 1
badbread332.50
      03-06-2018, 10:34 AM   #3
badbread
not good, but bad
United_States
Rep

Thanks so much for the reply! I understand now why I've run across all these questions regarding how SCCA classifies things like MPPK and the like.

My goal doing the SCCA stuff is to become a better driver. I'm not comfortable pushing my car to limits on the street and having a safe place with someone who knows what they are doing is pretty awesome.

I'll go down to Stage 1 or maybe even stock.

My plan is to switch over to the 4S's as soon as they run flats are done. They probably have another couple months in them but it seriously can't come soon enough. The few times I have pushed the car, they behaved very weirdly. I just don't trust them at all.

Depending on how much I love the SCCA event I can totally see myself getting another set of rims and tires for stuff like auto-x or whatever. Even if I can't keep up with the guys in my class, it looks like it will be a TON of fun and a great learning experience.

Thanks again!
      03-06-2018, 04:01 PM   #4
EDWYER
Yoda of mods
Rep
Drives: X5 RWD

Garage List
2015 X5 RWD  [0.00]
2016 BMW M2  [10.00]
Another note: Most events will have helmets on site you can borrow.
Appreciate 1
badbread332.50
      03-11-2018, 11:19 AM   #5
ClevelandBeemer
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW X5 45e  [0.00]
2013 335i  [0.00]
2015 BMW S1000R  [0.00]
Quote:
Thanks so much for the reply! I understand now why I've run across all these questions regarding how SCCA classifies things like MPPK and the like.

My goal doing the SCCA stuff is to become a better driver. I'm not comfortable pushing my car to limits on the street and having a safe place with someone who knows what they are doing is pretty awesome.

I'll go down to Stage 1 or maybe even stock.

My plan is to switch over to the 4S's as soon as they run flats are done. They probably have another couple months in them but it seriously can't come soon enough. The few times I have pushed the car, they behaved very weirdly. I just don't trust them at all.

Depending on how much I love the SCCA event I can totally see myself getting another set of rims and tires for stuff like auto-x or whatever. Even if I can't keep up with the guys in my class, it looks like it will be a TON of fun and a great learning experience.

Thanks again!
Glad I can help. When you said you'll go to stage 1 or stock were you referring to the tune or all of the bolt ons also?
Appreciate 1
badbread332.50
      03-11-2018, 11:07 PM   #6
badbread
not good, but bad
United_States
Rep

Just the tune, can't imagine having to swap all those parts out for an event.
      03-12-2018, 05:36 PM   #7
ClevelandBeemer
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW X5 45e  [0.00]
2013 335i  [0.00]
2015 BMW S1000R  [0.00]
Quote:
Just the tune, can't imagine having to swap all those parts out for an event.
At that point you may as well keep running the tune. The downpipe and the intercooler are what puts you in ASP not the tune itself.

My advice run what you brung and fun! Learn as much as you can. The biggest mod you can every make is a driver mod.
Appreciate 1
badbread332.50
      03-12-2018, 06:12 PM   #8
B58 parts
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 340ix 6MT

Just bring the car as is and drive it. It doesn't matter if you place .. you probably won't, even if you do, you win .. nothing. Just focus on being a better driver. The car is good for about 5% of your time, the other 95% is all you.

Your local chapter / some 3rd party there should offer some driving schools. I did a shit ton of these every year, every time one came up I was on the list. This was money way better spent than any car parts. Cars come and go but I still have everything I got from the lessons. Be smooth with your inputs.
Appreciate 1
badbread332.50
      03-13-2018, 11:08 AM   #9
badbread
not good, but bad
United_States
Rep

I'm really not doing it to be competitive (yet, like I said above, maybe that will change depending on how much I enjoy it)

I really just want to be a better driver and have fun while doing it. The ultimate goal would be able to go into some of the track day events.. Lapping my car at Laguna Seca would be probably the coolest thing I've ever done in my life.

In terms of a helmet, is the $100 Amazon special OK or is a helmet something I should spend a little more money on?
      03-13-2018, 08:19 PM   #10
ClevelandBeemer
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW X5 45e  [0.00]
2013 335i  [0.00]
2015 BMW S1000R  [0.00]
Quote:
I'm really not doing it to be competitive (yet, like I said above, maybe that will change depending on how much I enjoy it)

I really just want to be a better driver and have fun while doing it. The ultimate goal would be able to go into some of the track day events.. Lapping my car at Laguna Seca would be probably the coolest thing I've ever done in my life.

In terms of a helmet, is the $100 Amazon special OK or is a helmet something I should spend a little more money on?
Get whatever meets SCCA spec. With a seatbelt and airbags you don't need a $500+ helmet. Just remember whatever you choose it's going to be protecting your dome if the worst happens.
Appreciate 1
badbread332.50
      03-13-2018, 08:44 PM   #11
ZHP076
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 435i ZHP 076

Garage List
2016 435i ZHP  [0.00]
Only use a 100 dollar EBay helmet unless you value life for 100 dollars.
You do not need the most expensive, but you do good well know brand and if you
Purchase used, you have no way of knowing if it has been comprised (hit) in the past.
DO NOT cut corners on safety. I raced SCCA and SVRA for 40 years.
Go and and have fun, and listen to your instructors, and believe it or not Ferrari will not be calling
you on Monday offering you a Formula 1 ride, ( I am still waiting too).
2016 435i ZHP #76
RACE CAR
spelled backwards is
RACE CAR
Appreciate 1
badbread332.50