F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > 6MT clutch and flywheel Upgrade?
Extreme Powerhouse

11-12-2019, 02:47 PM   #67
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Have any of you with rattle noises raised the idle to 900 RPM? That's what folks do on the E Series platform to minimize noise.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2019, 04:14 PM   #68
Pray for Mojo
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i & 2018 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by geo335 View Post
Hello guys

f30 335i 2013 6MT 68k miles on it

upgraded chargepipe, bms intake MHD stg1
It was good, we did mhd stg2
Run 2 weeks and clutch started slipping, flywheel had 5-10% down in middle then outta circle

I repaired clutch and stocked car back now it goes normal

Im planning to go up again

Please tell me how can i upgrade it to ride 400whp+ ?
Give me some cheap variants please. Im outside USA

Also my car after getting back to stock has some missfires

on cold start from seconds to minute it has missfires on random cylindres, if i press gas pedal it may hit so hard it can shut down. but after its done after it car runs without problem. coils good sparks good tmap map sensors good.

I replaced spark plugs to bosch, all diagnostics run good nothing wrong.

I read on forum someone had exactly same problem and said that battery fixed it. sounds weird but ...

Also
Bad flywheel will cause misfires. People that switch to a non-OEM flywheel have reported misfires.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2019, 05:04 PM   #69
MineralF30
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions View Post
Have any of you with rattle noises raised the idle to 900 RPM? That's what folks do on the E Series platform to minimize noise.
MHD doesn't offer a raise idle option for F series sadly. Only way is to probably have a custom tuner raise it.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2019, 09:06 AM   #70
btetier
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i M-Sport

This never really got mentioned here, so just in case it wasn't known by now, there is a way to do a CDV delete that allows us (F3x) owners to do hard shifts at lower gears without the car slipping the clutch. It is actually a fairly easy job to do as long as you have the right size socket, a long extension, and a car jack. Took me about an hour my first time, and most of that was honestly just bleeding the clutch. There have been a few write ups here on this forum about how to do it, but if you have any questions i will be happy to answer them!
Appreciate 2
harkes1078.00
      11-23-2019, 10:14 PM   #71
ryantpayton
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M550i xDrive Rhodonite

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeremyman9 View Post
Well the worse it gets, the more it will impact lower gears. A slipping clutch is pretty distinct... If your RPM shoots up disproportionately to speed gain, you are either spinning or the clutch is slipping. There is also a distinct odor when you slip a clutch a lot.

Miles on the car? Mods/tune?
Hey, thanks for the reply.

I'm thinking more and more it's a slipping clutch.

It's a 2013 335i xDrive (N55 F30)
It has ~110k miles on it
New transmission from BMW at ~80k miles
ER Chargepipe, ER 4" Catless Downpipe and the MHD Stage 2 Tune.

What is my best option for getting the clutch to stop slipping?
OEM Clutch or a Spec? If so, do you have a good link? I googled it but it says it only fits older years. Is it compatible still?

Also I plan on getting an upgraded FMIC and a Pure Turbo

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2019, 11:57 PM   #72
DreamerJoe
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i M.G. w red interior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryantpayton View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeremyman9 View Post
Well the worse it gets, the more it will impact lower gears. A slipping clutch is pretty distinct... If your RPM shoots up disproportionately to speed gain, you are either spinning or the clutch is slipping. There is also a distinct odor when you slip a clutch a lot.

Miles on the car? Mods/tune?

It has ~110k miles on it

OEM Clutch or a Spec? If so, do you have a good link? I googled it but it says it only fits older years. Is it compatible still?

Thanks!
search FCPeuro.com, the 335is/550i clutch seems holds up well to FBO and even the guys with PS2.. if your going beyond that, high e85 blend/P.I. you might want to go on the safe side and get the spec.. and for your flywheel, before jumping on a lightweight, look into flywheel chatter.. alot of guys say it's manageable, but personally I'm sticking with the DMFW when the time comes.
      11-24-2019, 12:45 AM   #73
ryantpayton
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M550i xDrive Rhodonite

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerJoe View Post
search FCPeuro.com, the 335is/550i clutch seems holds up well to FBO and even the guys with PS2.. if your going beyond that, high e85 blend/P.I. you might want to go on the safe side and get the spec.. and for your flywheel, before jumping on a lightweight, look into flywheel chatter.. alot of guys say it's manageable, but personally I'm sticking with the DMFW when the time comes.
I don't think I want to do anything like e85 blend/P.I.
Just simple FBO with maybe a stage 1 Pure Turbo.

Would the stock flywheel be okay with that setup and an upgraded clutch from fcpeuro?

EDIT: All I see available for my car on FCPeuro.com is the Genuine BMW and LuK
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2019, 03:04 AM   #74
DreamerJoe
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerJoe View Post
I don't think I want to do anything like e85 blend/P.I.
Just simple FBO with maybe a stage 1 Pure Turbo.

Would the stock flywheel be okay with that setup and an upgraded clutch from fcpeuro?

EDIT: All I see available for my car on FCPeuro.com is the Genuine BMW and LuK
you would just search for the clutch for the 335is/550i. I'm not 100% sure of the difference between the LUK and genuine bmw, if it's really a different brand, or OE before getting the genuine bmw stamp+tax. and as far as the flywheel, someone else will have to chime in, not sure if it's something that can be resurfaced, needs replacement, or keeping original is fine.
      12-08-2019, 12:58 AM   #75
Chicken_Joe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 335i M Sport. EB 6M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions View Post
I haven't raised it sadly yet. I wish I could do that with BM3 from my laptop but sadly I don't know how/think it's available to do
13' 335i M Sport. EBII/Coral Red 6MT. RPI GT exhaust, Resonator delete, PS1, GFB DV , BM3 Stage 2, ER CP, VRSF DP, VRSF 5.5in Stepped FMIC, Dinan Shockware. Carbon M Performance rear diffuser. M4 trunk lip. Conti DWS06 225/40/19 and 255/35/19
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2019, 11:12 AM   #76
Pray for Mojo
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i & 2018 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicken_Joe View Post
I haven't raised it sadly yet. I wish I could do that with BM3 from my laptop but sadly I don't know how/think it's available to do
You can do it on map config, top right corner of the map details, make changes and save, then reflash the car.
Appreciate 1
      12-09-2019, 09:30 AM   #77
BMW DIY Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
2024 BMW M2  [9.80]
2017 BMW X1  [10.00]
2001 BMW X5  [10.00]
I am desperately trying to figure out if my 6MT is slipping as well, while chasing a weird gremlin in the car for almost a year now.

I am 419rwp 425torque, FBO and custom tune. If I go WOT in 4th, I randomly (75% of the time) get this weird run up, stutter, hesitation or something in the car under load. The logs show the "torque limiter" kicking in when that happens.

I have been trying to figure out what it is and working with my tuner extensively, and exploring all options including now wondering if its the clutch slipping.

If going the 550 clutch route, is this the one folks are talking about from FCP Euro?

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...it-21207567623
'Lillith' F87 M2 Competition Build Thread
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2019, 09:47 AM   #78
codestar
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 Model S P100D

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW DIY Guy View Post
I am desperately trying to figure out if my 6MT is slipping as well, while chasing a weird gremlin in the car for almost a year now.

I am 419rwp 425torque, FBO and custom tune. If I go WOT in 4th, I randomly (75% of the time) get this weird run up, stutter, hesitation or something in the car under load. The logs show the "torque limiter" kicking in when that happens.

I have been trying to figure out what it is and working with my tuner extensively, and exploring all options including now wondering if its the clutch slipping.

If going the 550 clutch route, is this the one folks are talking about from FCP Euro?

I had very similar symptoms when it first began slipping. mostly 3rd and 4th, felt like a stutter. I posted on here a few times about it. Then I tried a couple hard launches when messing around with friends that caused it to slip really bad because of the cdv and that's pretty much what toasted the clutch.

I bought a spec stage 2+ with an OEM style LuK DMF and also a new slave cylinder and removed the CDV. Been running great lately. Clutch woes have completely disappeared and now I'm feeling the need for more power again
Appreciate 1
harkes1078.00
      12-09-2019, 09:54 AM   #79
codestar
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

An older post I made about the problem in another thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by codestar View Post
So it seems the problems continue...

My turbo has felt like it is hitching and stuttering under medium to heavy thottle in the 2500-4000rpm range, and recently it has been getting worse. It's honestly starting to feel like my clutch is slipping and the computer cuts engine power and then it keeps going afterwards like nothing happened to redline

I've been going back and forth with PTF and all I have been told so far is that I have bad octane. I recently switched from Chev 94 (which I have been told by others is also bad) to Shell 91 (which others have said was the best around Vancouver). So even with Shell 91 it seems that my area's gas is bad so I'm not sure what to do other than octane booster??

Also not sure how slippage/turbo stutter relates to octane or how you tell this from the log. The problem is present on stage 2, stage 1, 6.3, 6.4, 0+, etc.. Anyway if anyone may have some insight on this I'd totally appreciate it!

http://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=5d3f49a6c090c646a589589e
Appreciate 1
      12-10-2019, 04:05 AM   #80
harkes
Colonel
China
Rep
Drives: M135i, E39 M5, NSX and AE86

Quote:

It has ~110k miles on it

Thanks!
Have you tried to run the Stage1 map to validate if it is clutch slippage?
      01-27-2020, 12:16 AM   #81
BMW DIY Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW M2  [9.80]
2017 BMW X1  [10.00]
2001 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmw doubles View Post
The CDV is 100% the culprit. Its sole purpose is to force slipping to occur for smooth engagement regardless of driver style. That was BMW's advancement to manual driving. I'm surprised that E90, or any F series owners have not made this break through and even more so that BMS or others haven't brought this to the market.

Even if you modded it with a stock clutch you win.
very interested in this..
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2020, 11:35 AM   #82
JaredG_F30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i, M-Sport, Manual

I can't find it now, but I read on here recently of someone who swapped out the stock slave cylinder with another BMW OEM slave cylinder that doesn't have the integrated CDV and it's a direct swap. I need to find that thread again because when it's time for a new clutch I'm deleting the CDV as well. I hate it!!

2014 F30 335i, M-Sport, 6MT, V804s, custom exhaust, CTS Turbo Intake & IC, FTP CP, VRSF DP, TMS Strut Brace, BM3 Stg 2, AEM WMI, H&R Sport Springs (381 whp, 429 wtq on Cali 91oct before WMI).
SPI Films Blog/DIY Vids
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2020, 11:43 AM   #83
BMW DIY Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW M2  [9.80]
2017 BMW X1  [10.00]
2001 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaredG_F30 View Post
I can't find it now, but I read on here recently of someone who swapped out the stock slave cylinder with another BMW OEM slave cylinder that doesn't have the integrated CDV and it's a direct swap. I need to find that thread again because when it's time for a new clutch I'm deleting the CDV as well. I hate it!!
Here you go.. looking at doing this myself.

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1666477
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2020, 12:08 PM   #84
codestar
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaredG_F30 View Post
I bought a new slave from BMW as well. Just popped off the little plastic nipple and you can plainly see the little metal piece that restricts fluid flow inside.

When the mechanic had my transmission dropped to replace the clutch and flywheel I just handed it to them to do the swap since it's located on the side of the trans. They didn't have a problem doing it since all of the lines were already disconnected anyway and did not charge me
Appreciate 1
      01-29-2020, 11:35 AM   #85
BMW DIY Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW M2  [9.80]
2017 BMW X1  [10.00]
2001 BMW X5  [10.00]
I see a couple of options here for oem to upgrades, in general

1. Stock F3X clutch and DMFW (seems not a good to replace like for like with tuned cars)
2. 550 OEM clutch and DMFW (feels the go to plan, but rated to 500hp? high end tuned are close to this, I am close to this)
3. Spec clutch (stage whatever) and F3X DMFW (would the DMFW be a weak point?)
4. Spec clutch and 550 DMFW? (would this best option for stronger oem DMFW?)
5. Spec clutch and Spec DMFW? (higher performance but hear clearly there are chatter, noise or other less daily driver friendly changes)
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2020, 12:26 PM   #86
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
I'm using a Spec 3 clutch and a SMF. I don't recommend the SMF as a daily. Sounds like marbles are in your transmission. You can silence the the chatter by depressing the clutch but it will prematurely wear out your throw out bearing. Look into 550 DMFW for street applications. The spec clutch is great.
535i MIssion Performance, PS2, Helix HPFP Kit, Wagner FMIC, Spec 3 clutch, Steel SMF, Wolf Racing CP, UUC SSK, GFB dv, SprintBooster, Custom Dynomax Exhaust, M5 Sways, Eibach OE Springs, Koni Sports Adjustable, Custom Short Ram CAI

IG: @bmwdoubles
Appreciate 1
      01-29-2020, 12:38 PM   #87
BMW DIY Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW M2  [9.80]
2017 BMW X1  [10.00]
2001 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
I'm using a Spec 3 clutch and a SMF. I don't recommend the SMF as a daily. Sounds like marbles are in your transmission. You can silence the the chatter by depressing the clutch but it will prematurely wear out your throw out bearing. Look into 550 DMFW for street applications. The spec clutch is great.
Very likely will pull the trigger today on the Spec2+ and OEM DMFW.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2020, 05:53 AM   #88
DreamerJoe
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Very likely will pull the trigger today on the Spec2+ and OEM DMFW.
know when you're going to draw the line when it comes to modding, I recall reading a thread (several actually), that the DMFW will throw misfire codes in the higher HP applications.