F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / TSBs and Service Bulletin > Please help smoke after spark plug change
Studio RSR

11-15-2019, 01:52 PM   #1
Gertsee
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i

Please help smoke after spark plug change

After experiencing a rough idle, engine hesitation and surging, and a CEL Cylinder 1 Misfire I changed all 6 of my spark plugs yesterday. After the change I drove about 2 blocks and noticed white smoke coming from the passenger side of my engine bay and a burning oil smell. I took it to a nearby mechanic who said my Valve Cover Gasket was leaking and he charged me 450$ to fix it overnight. The car is still smoking a little and has a burnt oil smell the mechanic said that is normal and i have to drive it more to burn off the oil that was leaking before but I feel like he didnt fix any problem. Is this smoke and smell normal after a spark plug change?

Here is a picture of my old plugs
[IMG][/IMG]
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-15-2019, 03:03 PM   #2
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Changing plugs won't create an oil leak. I wouldn't be surprised if the valve cover gasket was bad, it's a common problem past 50k miles, which I assume you are if you needed plugs. It will take some time for the oil that leaked to all burn off.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2019, 05:40 AM   #3
Gertsee
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
Changing plugs won't create an oil leak. I wouldn't be surprised if the valve cover gasket was bad, it's a common problem past 50k miles, which I assume you are if you needed plugs. It will take some time for the oil that leaked to all burn off.
Thanks! The car is at 63K I still feel a slightly rough idle and the occasional light jerk I might change out the coil packs too but I've been told those usually don't go out this early
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2019, 07:56 AM   #4
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Have you ever cleaned your MAF sensor?
Appreciate 0