F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > USA - California > Need help Passing smog for the first time - CARB Intake Question
Studio RSR

06-23-2020, 07:35 PM   #1
tgengler
Rep
Drives: 2012 f30 335i

Need help Passing smog for the first time - CARB Intake Question

Hey Everyone,

Thanks in advance for any help! I moved to California with a intake, chip, and charge pipe. I am removing the chip but need to replace the intake. I'm hoping the charge pipe will go unnoticed. I am having a lot of trouble finding the OEM one so I am currently looking at CARB compliant intakes. I found this one:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/AEM-CARB-Le...oAAOSwU7JeFQjx

According to this website it looks like it is CARB Compliant? I have a 2012 335i F30

https://ww3.arb.ca.gov/msprog/afterm...o/d-670-24.pdf

I was going to go to a SMOG station to confirm before buying but they are currently closed. Is there any downside to just purchasing? How does it work? Do I need to bring in the paperwork? Or does it just come with a CARB Sticker? None of the pictures I've seen show the sticker, and what if it doesn't come with one? My other concern is that the intake will draw more attention to the inspection and I am hoping my charge pipe goes unnoticed. Any thoughts or insights are appreciated! Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2020, 07:48 PM   #2
davidr3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i

Okay, 100% remove the chip, 100% change the intake.

Chargepipe does not affect emissions nor will they notice it unless you got some crazy colored CP. Going aftermarket on the CP is a safety part and not a part to regulate emissions. If you can get the intake and and chip solved then you should 100% be good.

No clue about your CARB sticker question though, never been through that.
Although it seems if you show that paperwork you should be set.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2020, 07:51 PM   #3
k3_b58
beemerw
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 340i M Sport

If it is CARB legal then it will come with a sticker saying that it is.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2020, 08:10 PM   #4
tgengler
Rep
Drives: 2012 f30 335i

That is super helpful! Thanks guys! Do you think is there anymore verification I can do to ensure its CARB legal? The last thing I want to do is buy another intake that does't get past smog. It also pretty clearly looks like it is though?

I completely agree with the charge pipe. Clearly it has zero impact on emissions especially with no blow off valve changes. The idea of replacing my metal one with a cheap, yet overpriced, OEM plastic one kills me and I'll avoid that at all costs.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2020, 08:27 PM   #5
davidr3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgengler View Post
That is super helpful! Thanks guys! Do you think is there anymore verification I can do to ensure its CARB legal? The last thing I want to do is buy another intake that does't get past smog. It also pretty clearly looks like it is though?

I completely agree with the charge pipe. Clearly it has zero impact on emissions especially with no blow off valve changes. The idea of replacing my metal one with a cheap, yet overpriced, OEM plastic one kills me and I'll avoid that at all costs.
Not sure, other then emailing the company to ensure that policy is up to date.

I'd really avoid switching out the CP, I really don't think the smog place will even notice. It's a PITA and won't help you pass.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2020, 04:55 PM   #6
exE36M3
BMW CCA Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i M Sport

Where are you in CA? There's got to be a forum member willing to let you borrow/trade intakes for you to get a SMOG done.

FWIW, the sticker has a number. The tech, if they bother... will punch in the sticker number on their computer and look for your part on your car (name, serial numbers, stamped smog id, etc.). If they match, they match and you are done.

If your charge pipe is black without all the splashy logos or chrome, you should be good.
If it's some chrome piece, yeah, they will ask...
Appreciate 0