F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Do you launch your B58?
proTUNING Freaks

12-26-2021, 09:29 AM   #23
1slowb58
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 340i xDrive Stage 3

Send it. I'm stage 2+ E30 and launch all the time, AWD 2016 340. The new BM3 maps let you build full boost on launch with DSC off and I let it go anywhere from 8-12lbs of boost. Sent it at the track too non stop, I did 18 quarter mile passes last time we were there.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2022, 05:36 PM   #24
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW F36

For those of us using LC, be aware of the following (I wasn't until now):

"What the ZF 8-Speed Auto actually does in Launch Mode is to engage a different shift mode, which is only active when the aforementioned procedure is carried out. The characteristic of this mode can be described as "i-don't-care-about-my-clutches-mode". Yes, LC mode makes your transmission wear. Thats the reason, there is an undocumented limit of 50 launches built in to the ZF transmissions. After 50 launches the trans will silently never engage that mode again. How do we know that? Because we don't look at documentations, we reverse-engineer the transmission's code to understand whats going on inside."

More reading:
https://www.xhpflashtool.com/blog/la...rol_explained/

Last edited by Skyhigh; 01-26-2022 at 02:38 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2022, 09:17 PM   #25
SystemOfUrdaW
Tom2TerrE
Canada
Rep
Drives: BmW 340i Xdrive 2016

I’m not sure if i got everything right, because of my lack of knowledge, lack of vocabulary, or misunderstanding of the English language overall.

From my understanding after reading Xhp link, LC isn’t good for the car (limit of 50 times) it’s even worst when your car is modified (Wheels, tires, shocks, suspension…) and tuned (power increased) vs stock.

It’s becoming OK when using Xhp.
Anyone with knowledge in that matter could clarify for me if all Xhp saying is true. Or it’s mainly true but Xhp make it sound worst for us tuned bimmer to buy this app.

Before reading Xhp link i WANTED to buy it, now i NEED to buy it🤦*♂️
Thanks for this interesting link
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2022, 01:26 AM   #26
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW F36

I am not left with the impression that xHP makes it any safer or that it affects the 50-launches limiter!
The context of that 50-launches limiter in xHP's publication is to present a piece of evidence that they have a good insight into how the gearbox is programmed, to the extent that they are aware of unpublished features.

Nowhere did I read that the 50 launches limiter is increased/modified or that the launches are made safer or improved by xHP. Maybe I missed something?
Yes, you get to change the parameters of the launches if you want to, but as I read it, the "I-don't-care-about-my-clutches-mode" is still something integral which will be gone…. 😣

I am generally surprised about the speculative statement that LC puts so much strain specifically on the gearbox!?? Whilst it is clear that it is hard work for the entire drivetrain, why is it different for the gearbox than any other (fast) shifting under high acceleration!? In reality doing 0-100 runs means 2 shifts in that process. Is it the same as when cruising - surely not, but how is it any different from accelerating with WOT in Sport+ & S on the stick, without LC!? If anything, I always assumed LC is designed to ensure a CONTROLLED and SAFE setup for the vehicle, to the extent possible.
That now appears controversial for the gearbox.