F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > How hard to retrofit lane departure?
Extreme Powerhouse

02-24-2021, 10:30 AM   #23
Moupe
Monobloc
United_States
Rep
Drives: '02 M Coupe - '19 F31 330ix

Garage List
I agree, retrofitting most of these tech safety devices just end up being very costly and time consuming. Normally it would br best to hunt for the car that has all the features you want right off the bat.

Honestly, if you are an alert and responsible driver you don't need any of these nannies. I have blind spot monitoring and LKA and rarely see a need to ever use them. I have them enabled however since they are there.

The only option I didn't get for my wagon was 5DF acc + stop & go. My initial reasoning was the placement and integration of the sensor was an eye sore plus I rarely use ACC even when driving my parent's cars or rentals. It was a $1,200 option a la carte but retrofitting would cost you up to a few thousand even with used parts!
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2021, 09:09 AM   #24
Desertnate
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i

Garage List
2016 BMW 435i  [0.00]
I don't know how the implementation on the F3X works, but the newer system on some BMW's like the X5 is terrible.

I can barely tolerate the steering wheel vibration, but I really can't stand the ones which actively alter the steering whether it tightens up or actually tries to nudge you back in your lane.

On a X5 test drive the lane departure system kept pushing me where I didn't want/need to go. On a sweeping, narrow, highway onramp where the natural driving line took me close to the painted white lines, it kept pushing me around and I ended up weaving down the the ramp like I was drunk. Multiple times on the rest of the drive whether avoiding debris, going through a construction zone, or places where the road had been re-striped it was constantly pushing me into danger rather than helping me avoid it. In every day use I couldn't see how I could possibly leave it on and not be constantly fighting the system.

It was bad enough even the salesman on the ride with me acknowledged it was a half-baked attempt which needed some work.
      02-25-2021, 03:08 PM   #25
Elvisfan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 430ix convertible MGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 328iX View Post
Sorry I don't signal when I'm the only one around, of course when I need to SIGNAL to other drivers my next move I use my SIGNAL... too SIGNAL. Lol
I always signal lane changes. Even when there is no one around. Keeps me in the habit. Same with signaling turns.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2021, 05:00 AM   #26
SerTan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i M Sport F34

No its not doing something wrong or awful driver. I thought this system is also part of stop/slow down too as in you can set the distance from vehicle ahead.

How many times I had close calls when I turn left or right behind vehicle going in the same direction just to look opposite direction to check if no vehicle is coming through and suddenly turning my head back in direction for travel just to realise vehicle that was in front studently stopped and me having to break studently stopping only few inches from its bumper.
      02-26-2021, 07:15 AM   #27
wilbur_the_goose
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 330ix Gran Turismo

For what it's worth, a similar feature on my '16 Honda Civic Touring works much better than my '18 BMW F34. The Honda is much less assertive in the way it shakes the steering wheel, and it is more of a gentle steering assist - over 45 MPH, it can actually steer the car for about 30 seconds until the driver is alerted to get his hands back on the steering wheel.

I love how Honda implemented it and I'm surprised that BMW is so far behind.

PS - I never let the Honda do the steering for more than 5 seconds or so - I still don't trust the tech, especially here in Pennsylvania where roads' painted lines often wear out or are covered by salt/snow.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2021, 07:34 AM   #28
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 X1 28i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SerTan View Post
No its not doing something wrong or awful driver. I thought this system is also part of stop/slow down too as in you can set the distance from vehicle ahead.

How many times I had close calls when I turn left or right behind vehicle going in the same direction just to look opposite direction to check if no vehicle is coming through and suddenly turning my head back in direction for travel just to realise vehicle that was in front studently stopped and me having to break studently stopping only few inches from its bumper.
Lane departure and emergency braking are completely different. As is adaptive cruise control. Which is more like what you are describing.
Appreciate 1
SerTan45.00
      02-26-2021, 08:13 AM   #29
COKen
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M Rster / Z4 M40i / X5 M50i

Quote:

That means you are doing it wrong. You should always expect the car in front of you to stop and drive accordingly.
Appreciate 1
tex26702412.50
      02-26-2021, 08:47 AM   #30
BimR
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 328

OP - This thread has mostly become people telling you that "you are doing it wrong" and maybe they are right, but that's not what you asked. I think the best advice (from others) is to buy the car with the tech installed and make sure you know exactly what you want.
Appreciate 2
tex26702412.50
SerTan45.00
      02-26-2021, 10:31 AM   #31
SerTan
Private First Class
Rep

Ok yeah i guess in 14 years driving never had an accident not even a scrape on the car. But its gone bit off topic. More as mentioned above people saying you doing this wrong or that wrong (can't believe no one had that when next second you look car unexpectedly stopped causing you to break hard) .

All i asked to be straight to the point is this retrofit easy? From comment above i can see.. just buy another car - meaning as i understand not easy thing to buy fit code. So no retrofit of such thing has been done before. Cool, thanks for for all suggestions at least i know i need to look for active cruse control.
      02-27-2021, 10:49 PM   #32
Elvisfan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 430ix convertible MGM

Quote:
Has anyone done it before? Its it a big job as in not just to get camera, plug it in, simple coding and done. Or will this require removing whole dashboard to do wiring and not worth spending money.

I tried to find some forums and videos but nothing solid to get answer to do this project.
https://www8.garmin.com/manuals/webh...78C20D82B.html
Gps with lane departure warning.
Appreciate 1
SerTan45.00
      02-28-2021, 07:52 AM   #33
eugene89us
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 328d

@SerTan This conversation clearly veered off into an unhelpful territory. Opinions are like assholes, everyone has them and they all stink!

I would recommend you search the forum subsection on F30 Coding. There is a FANTASTIC thread on SLI (speed limit info) retrofit. One thread talks about the Chinese simulator devices while another talks about full OEM retrofit. You need the OEM one. You will need KAFAS camera and VO coding. Coding is very straightforward with ESYS, VO coding does not require any tokens or mess like that. You will need a new windshield with KAFAS window, may need new rear view mirror that supports camera, the cam itself, wiring, and KAFAS module. Buying used, not very pricey except for windshield itself, so I suggest waiting until you need to buy a new windshield. You will route wires around the top then down the A pillar. Not much disassembly, although you will work near the airbag. Be careful to route properly, guidance available on that forum. I am not sure if you need a (can't remember official name for it) - the BMW version of license to activate feature. I know SLI requires it, don't think lane assist does. However, with KAFAS system alone you can have lane departure warning, automatic headlights with a stalk upgrade, speed limit info with that license thingy you can buy online (genuine or fake depending on your budget). Good investment.

Just FYI, with all that said, I have not done it. But once my windshield requires replacement (give it a couple of years, seems like I get rocks hitting my windshield every month), I will definitely install KAFAS windshield and proceed retrofitting. And I will likely pursue official license that will have this feature officially on the books attached to my VIN within BMW system. All 8t does is does not deactivate the new system in a rare chance I will need to be flashed at the dealer (e.g. For some recall for instance). Best of luck.
Appreciate 1
SerTan45.00
      02-28-2021, 10:43 AM   #34
Moupe
Monobloc
United_States
Rep
Drives: '02 M Coupe - '19 F31 330ix

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by eugene89us View Post
And I will likely pursue official license that will have this feature officially on the books attached to my VIN within BMW system.
Bruh, you can add on a system or OE part after the fact and add it to the books? I would have thought that if a car didn't come with the option/part from birth it's not official.
-2002 S54 M Coupé - Steel Gray / Dark Gray/Black
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2021, 01:48 PM   #35
eugene89us
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moupe View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by eugene89us View Post
And I will likely pursue official license that will have this feature officially on the books attached to my VIN within BMW system.
Bruh, you can add on a system or OE part after the fact and add it to the books? I would have thought that if a car didn't come with the option/part from birth it's not official.
Yes, there is a way to do it through "proper channels." Your dealer can get you the official FSC codes (finally remembered the name. Lol). It will associate with your vehicle and any future dealer updates will include that option. Very neat. US dealers frown upon FSC sale for "safety" items such as speed limit info if you DIY it. But there are plenty of international contacts that work at dealerships that can provide it at a fraction of a cost. FSC for SLI, for instance, runs around $400. That gets you truly legal license to use BMW tech. Otherwise, it is you basically buying a software crack for your car. But unofficial FSC codes can be purchases for $50 or so. Once again, no personal experience with it, just sharing what I know.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2021, 04:51 PM   #36
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
I don't know how the implementation on the F3X works, but the newer system on some BMW's like the X5 is terrible.

I can barely tolerate the steering wheel vibration, but I really can't stand the ones which actively alter the steering whether it tightens up or actually tries to nudge you back in your lane.

On a X5 test drive the lane departure system kept pushing me where I didn't want/need to go. On a sweeping, narrow, highway onramp where the natural driving line took me close to the painted white lines, it kept pushing me around and I ended up weaving down the the ramp like I was drunk. Multiple times on the rest of the drive whether avoiding debris, going through a construction zone, or places where the road had been re-striped it was constantly pushing me into danger rather than helping me avoid it. In every day use I couldn't see how I could possibly leave it on and not be constantly fighting the system.

It was bad enough even the salesman on the ride with me acknowledged it was a half-baked attempt which needed some work.
That was my limited experience on the 2020 G20 330 car the dealership let me take for a service loaner last year. BMW has definitely structured it to be a nanny in case you drift out of the lane, and less of an assistant feature.

On my 2018 Audi SQ5, it's sh*tty, but not as bad as BMW. It will keep you centered which I find nice on long trips, but is far from "auto-drive" like Tesla has.

MB apparently has a much better implementation compared to the other German brands.

OP, at the end of the day, if your net goal is make your car "Tesla like", you will be VERY disappointed. Once you get this installed, you will also need to take it somewhere for a bunch of calibrations in order to make it function. If I was you, I'd just save your magic beans for this feature on your next car.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2021, 07:27 PM   #37
Gen13 F36
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 428i Gran Coupe

Why?

You want more things to break on your car?

You want to start breaking your car to just retrofit a feature?

No thanks....you should have got the car with all the features to begin with....just my opinion

Good luck.
Appreciate 1
tex26702412.50
      02-28-2021, 08:58 PM   #38
Carrera Dave
Lurking Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 F33

Garage List
1989 911 Carrera  [0.00]
2018 BMW F33  [0.00]
Okay, let me build on the OP post with a twist.

I've got a F33 with Lane Departure, but no Blind Spot detection (triangle on the mirror base). I am interested in getting this on my car. Wondering if it is 'simply' getting the mirror base with the light?
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2021, 12:07 AM   #39
eugene89us
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrera Dave View Post
Okay, let me build on the OP post with a twist.

I've got a F33 with Lane Departure, but no Blind Spot detection (triangle on the mirror base). I am interested in getting this on my car. Wondering if it is 'simply' getting the mirror base with the light?
There are actually two "radar" pieces attached to the sides of rear bumper under the bumper shroud. I do not have my research as detailed for that system, but you'd need those sensors, likely wiring that will need to be run all over the vehicle, and some type of "brain module". The blind spot system uses both the lights in the mirror housing, as well as vibration of the steering wheel. Frankly, I would imagine it being a harder retrofit than retrofitting KAFAS system for SLI, LDW, and auto high beams. Since KAFAS only need short wire run from camera to module, the rest is already in place (e.g. Instrument cluster has all proper places to display lane markings sign, the HUD/cluster will automatically display speed limits). It is all situated at the front of vehicle with most pieces already having proper capability of running these. With blind spot, the radar units are all the way in the back, plus the rear view modules, seems like that may not be a worthwhile effort. But who knows, maybe quite doable?
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2021, 03:29 PM   #40
Carrera Dave
Lurking Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 F33

Garage List
1989 911 Carrera  [0.00]
2018 BMW F33  [0.00]
Thanks Eugene. Well said, "doable, perhaps; worthwhile, no." I agree.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2021, 02:39 PM   #41
SerTan
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvisfan View Post
lol nice try
      03-09-2021, 02:44 PM   #42
SerTan
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen13 F36 View Post
Why?

You want more things to break on your car?

You want to start breaking your car to just retrofit a feature?

No thanks....you should have got the car with all the features to begin with....just my opinion

Good luck.
Maybe some of us needed car urgently, cant afford to buy off the show room or just like to break things to then fix again.

If people ware afraid to risk and stay safe because being afraid of failure and that is all they know i doubt many of us would know how to change a brake pads or oil. Just my opinion.

Thank you for good luck tho.