F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > A definitive answer on headlight brightness LED vs Xenon
Studio RSR

05-25-2019, 04:41 AM   #111
KTE
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: A slow car

Did something similar above with xenons facing a wall in my car park, beam definitely moves to the right.

Can’t recall whether I didn’t move to the right or like above there is something stopping it from doing so.

Definitely moves when stationary.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2019, 02:23 PM   #112
agentorange
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328d

Quote:
Originally Posted by creepy coupe View Post
I'm not sure about Canada. But aren't LED outputs clipped in the USA?. A friend of mine bought a Tesla and mentioned something about US models having lower output. which could be overridden via coding.
More than likely. The US has some very arcane and strict rules on light output. As a result and because the US car makers are cheapskates, they have been glacial in their adoption of better light technology. For example, when I arrived in 1997, my brand new rental was fitted with transverse filament bulbs that may not have even been halogen. I don't think a new vehicle in the UK had been so equipped since about 1980.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2019, 06:29 PM   #113
gfa3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '16 340i project, '21 M440i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopper99 View Post
Unless you talk to a 340i owner ....... then it is faster than a 335d.
I think you guys need to finish reading that thread
      12-31-2019, 02:55 PM   #114
SkyJawa
Major General
Rep
Drives: F10 530d

Appreciate 1
moonshine849.00
      01-05-2020, 03:52 PM   #115
garytc78
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F31 330d M Sport

Well seeing as we're reviving this I just picked up my lci 335d with adaptive headlights and I can say without a doubt they're leagues better than the xenons on my f31.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2020, 04:05 AM   #116
M33DLO
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 340i MPPSK.

My little write up, I went from pre LCI with adaptive xenon to LCI with adaptive LED.

The adaptive part is much better now as each beam graduates its intensity between off/on, rather than the pre LCI xenons just instantly cutting off or on. LCI adaptive LED are less obvious when they are doing their thang and a nicer experience.. I found the adaptive xenons distracting (but not to outweight the advantages) the way they kept turning off/on.

I cant say the LCI adaptive LED are brighter than the pre LCI adaptive xenon. If they are, it's not that noticeable.
The xenons where a real flood of light with no interuptions whereas I do notice more 'artifacts' in the LED beam though, still a great flood of light but it's not as 'smooth' in the middle area of the beam.

I do think that astheticly the adaptive LED look better than non-adaptive LED.. The non-adaptive have the dipped beam lamp at the bottom on the unit and this overwhelms the corona rings. Adaptive has the dipped beam lamp at the top of the headlight unit, a distance away from the corona rings. You can spot the difference easily when you start to look at other BMW's.

I remember speaking to colleague who had non-adaptive LCI LED, and he was not that impressed, even coming from a E9x with halogens. I thought that was strange but now reading up, it does seem like the regular LED's are crappy.

I'm very glad I have the Adaptive LED, poor headlights are something that I notice and upgrading is not that easy these days.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2020, 04:38 AM   #117
Busted
Second Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: F31 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by medlow View Post
My little write up, I went from pre LCI with adaptive xenon to LCI with adaptive LED.

The adaptive part is much better now as each beam graduates its intensity between off/on, rather than the pre LCI xenons just instantly cutting off or on. LCI adaptive LED are less obvious when they are doing their thang and a nicer experience.. I found the adaptive xenons distracting (but not to outweight the advantages) the way they kept turning off/on.

I cant say the LCI adaptive LED are brighter than the pre LCI adaptive xenon. If they are, it's not that noticeable.
The xenons where a real flood of light with no interuptions whereas I do notice more 'artifacts' in the LED beam though, still a great flood of light but it's not as 'smooth' in the middle area of the beam.

I do think that astheticly the adaptive LED look better than non-adaptive LED.. The non-adaptive have the dipped beam lamp at the bottom on the unit and this overwhelms the corona rings. Adaptive has the dipped beam lamp at the top of the headlight unit, a distance away from the corona rings. You can spot the difference easily when you start to look at other BMW's.

I remember speaking to colleague who had non-adaptive LCI LED, and he was not that impressed, even coming from a E9x with halogens. I thought that was strange but now reading up, it does seem like the regular LED's are crappy.

I'm very glad I have the Adaptive LED, poor headlights are something that I notice and upgrading is not that easy these days.
Im not impressed with the standard LED's, although its mainly a height issue that is exasperated by the output being a bit lower

Adjusting them up made a big difference
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2020, 06:56 AM   #118
garytc78
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F31 330d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by medlow View Post

You're better placed to make a like for like comparison whereas I went from not adaptive xenons so very rarely did I use the dipped beam so to me the adaptive led is great because it gives me more light than I would normally need... As for them looking different to the non adaptive I quite like that they're on the top as it looks a bit better... Hard to explain but maybe it is because you can see the coronas better... Either way they're worth the extra money.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2020, 09:56 AM   #119
ADE335D
Adie
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 335d

Such a dumb question coming up...

How do you know if you have adaptive or standard?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2020, 10:44 AM   #120
Ronstein
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: 2019 640i GT MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADE335D View Post

On mine, the words BMW Adaptive LED are written in the outer edge of each headlight and there's an Adaptive button on the left hand stalk.
- 2016 335D Touring M Sport X-drive
- 2014 335D GT X-Drive MSport
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2020, 10:56 AM   #121
agentorange
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328d

You guys are so lucky to have adaptive lights. They are outlawed here in the US because of an arcane law requiring headlights to behave the same way on both sides of the car.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2020, 03:51 AM   #122
onstat
Second Lieutenant
Wales
Rep
Drives: 335d Touring

Quote:

it has "BMW Adaptive LED" written on the headlight
      01-15-2020, 04:20 AM   #123
M33DLO
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 340i MPPSK.

Quote:

You know, coz they are awesome.

But yes, the sensible answers as above (they have it written on, left hand stalk button and the actual bulb beam is at the top of the light unit, rather than the bottom)
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2022, 12:32 PM   #124
MSlv
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 318i

Does anybody with the standard LEDs feel that the side of the road is very poorly illuminated?

My previous car was a halogen-equipped 1 series E87 and I remember that the side of the road was quite ok in brightness, but with my F30 it feels like there is no lateral spread of light, everything is going only forward, and I find the passenger side quite dark.

I actually felt the need to activate the projector cornering lights which of course were of no help.

Is this a side effect of LED+reflector, less light spread to the sides? Is there a left-right adjustment in the headlight I could use to try and improve the lighting on the side of the road?

Just to be clear, I am not talking about cornering, I am well aware of the limitation of fixed lights in corners. I am talking about driving in straight line, like on the highway.
Appreciate 0