F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > O-ring seals for charge pipes
Extreme Powerhouse

10-26-2019, 09:29 PM   #23
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

So, huge update here:

I just (partially) removed/reinstalled the CP yet again today. Before doing so, I revised by boost leak tester and got that working to confirm the location of any leaks. Turns out, the VRSF CP-IC connection was leaking despite already using the 4mm Oring. Quite annoying. I removed the CP from the TB and from the IC because I did not want to drop the IC or completely removed the CP again. I pulled out the 4mm Oring and tried the 4.5mmx60mm Oring again. There was no way it was going to fit (I had already tried a few weeks ago with the CP/IC completely out of the car). I was second away from just RTVing the connection with the 4mm Oring when I decided to try and modify the 4.5mm Oring to fit….

With sand paper wrapped around a drill, I VERY SLIGHTLY sanded down the inner diameter of the 4.5mm Oring being sure to have it rotate while being sanded so as to not take material off in only one spot. I took off probably 0.1mm from the ID, just enough to have a barely noticeable change in the ID (from perfectly round ID to slightly flat). I put the Oring back in the CP from under the car, and it still wouldn’t go on, until I used an excessive amount of force…

I had to take a large pry bar and pry down against the lip on the outside of the CP (forcing it onto IC), bracing against the frame, while reaching up with my left hand and pulling as hard as I could down toward the IC. The entire IC was flexing quite a bit; I was worried I was going to break it off the mounts (it was still mounted and TIC attached). Even then, it took several tries and it barely wanted to go on. At first I couldn’t even get the clip on until I got it just far enough to get a screwdriver into the clip spot and sneak it down far enough to get the clip in. As you can imagine, the IC-CP connection has absolutely zero play now.

Following that I reinstalled at the TB (still using the larger-than-stock Oring), double checked the clamps, etc, and proceeding to boost leak test – FINALLY, NO LEAK AT THE CP-IC CONNECTION.

Needless to say, there is absolutely no way the VRSF IC-VRSF CP would work with a stock Oring. It would not even work with the 4mmx59mm, which is already much larger than stock. It took the above to finally get it sealed. So, I guess I am just the unlucky one here? I can only assume it is the connection on the VRSF IC cold side, since the VRSF CP seemed to fit tighter on the stock IC than the VRSF IC, even with stock Oring. Such a F-ing nightmare this has been.I guess I just got a “bad” VRSF IC where the cold side connection is too small in diameter to seal properly.

My logs look much better, thankfully. I still don’t completely reach boost in 1st, but I guess that is normal? Here are some before and after today’s fix (the “best” ones)

BEFORE:
1-4: https://datazap.me/u/thejeremyman9/1...=0&data=5-6-25
4: https://datazap.me/u/thejeremyman9/4...=0&data=5-6-25

AFTER:

I still don’t get why 4th is below target by a bit early on, or why I almost always get the throttle closure mid pull (trying to help boost reach target?) but that has been in every single one of my logs since flashing stage 1 and MHD said it was OK…

I will post in the boost leak tester thread tomorrow with how I finally got that to work. 
Appreciate 2
Eddamoo391.00
      10-26-2019, 10:43 PM   #24
khj24
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 m235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeremyman9 View Post
I believe in the posts above some other people reported a looser connection between aftermarket CP-IC than to stock IC, but it may not be universally true as i have read plenty of people use stock Orings with aftermarket CPs and ICs of various brands. At a minimum, the connection is tighter with the aftermarket, non-directional Orings we discussed. I dont see any reason not to just run the largest, tightest sealing Oring you can? Having done this install more than once, there is no way i would even try the install without having the other Orings on hand in case i needed them. They are cheap, shipping is kindof annoying at around $6, but i got them in <48 hrs from time of order. By comparison i believe 1 stock Oring is $15 (not that the price matters, i would just get the best sealing one).

I bought my IC+CP on labor day weekend. It is the 5'' HD that was $379.99 base price IIRC. I believe there is only the one charge pipe option, 8AT RWD. It was honestly a really annoying buying experience. The product was not in stock (despite no indication on XPH website). It took me almost a month to get my IC and CP, and after i got the IC there was clear fin damage and beyond that a metal "bubble" on the front that i am concerned might be a small leak (I have a picture of that over on this thread https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...8#post25366268). I'm not bashing anyone and i dont really care about the delays as long as the product works, which i hope to confirm this weekend with a boost leak test.
Yikes that IC damage, I'm not incredibly familiar with the internal structure, but the line of fins pulling down and away from the metal is a new one for me. It looks like something narrow hit it and concentrated the impact over a small area.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2019, 10:52 PM   #25
khj24
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
So, huge update here:

I just (partially) removed/reinstalled the CP yet again today. Before doing so, I revised by boost leak tester and got that working to confirm the location of any leaks. Turns out, the VRSF CP-IC connection was leaking despite already using the 4mm Oring. Quite annoying. I removed the CP from the TB and from the IC because I did not want to drop the IC or completely removed the CP again. I pulled out the 4mm Oring and tried the 4.5mmx60mm Oring again. There was no way it was going to fit (I had already tried a few weeks ago with the CP/IC completely out of the car). I was second away from just RTVing the connection with the 4mm Oring when I decided to try and modify the 4.5mm Oring to fit….

With sand paper wrapped around a drill, I VERY SLIGHTLY sanded down the inner diameter of the 4.5mm Oring being sure to have it rotate while being sanded so as to not take material off in only one spot. I took off probably 0.1mm from the ID, just enough to have a barely noticeable change in the ID (from perfectly round ID to slightly flat). I put the Oring back in the CP from under the car, and it still wouldn’t go on, until I used an excessive amount of force…

I had to take a large pry bar and pry down against the lip on the outside of the CP (forcing it onto IC), bracing against the frame, while reaching up with my left hand and pulling as hard as I could down toward the IC. The entire IC was flexing quite a bit; I was worried I was going to break it off the mounts (it was still mounted and TIC attached). Even then, it took several tries and it barely wanted to go on. At first I couldn’t even get the clip on until I got it just far enough to get a screwdriver into the clip spot and sneak it down far enough to get the clip in. As you can imagine, the IC-CP connection has absolutely zero play now.

Following that I reinstalled at the TB (still using the larger-than-stock Oring), double checked the clamps, etc, and proceeding to boost leak test – FINALLY, NO LEAK AT THE CP-IC CONNECTION.

Needless to say, there is absolutely no way the VRSF IC-VRSF CP would work with a stock Oring. It would not even work with the 4mmx59mm, which is already much larger than stock. It took the above to finally get it sealed. So, I guess I am just the unlucky one here? I can only assume it is the connection on the VRSF IC cold side, since the VRSF CP seemed to fit tighter on the stock IC than the VRSF IC, even with stock Oring. Such a F-ing nightmare this has been.I guess I just got a “bad” VRSF IC where the cold side connection is too small in diameter to seal properly.

My logs look much better, thankfully. I still don’t completely reach boost in 1st, but I guess that is normal? Here are some before and after today’s fix (the “best” ones)

BEFORE:

AFTER:

I still don’t get why 4th is below target by a bit early on, or why I almost always get the throttle closure mid pull (trying to help boost reach target?) but that has been in every single one of my logs since flashing stage 1 and MHD said it was OK…

I will post in the boost leak tester thread tomorrow with how I finally got that to work. 
Glad to hear you finally got a resolution, I am a bit afraid that mine is still leaking if yours was with the 4mm. I honestly think ill buy a different CP if that's the case, sounds like you had a fun time installing it and I really have little interest going through that. Just don't think we should be having to deal with this, if we were using a mix of aftermarket brands and/or OEM maybe, but two connected parts from the same brand having issues is a bit hard to be cool with.

Funny enough, my problems started with the VRSF CP and stock IC, but yes that connection is tighter. Makes me think the IC connection is a bit smaller and the CP one larger. I was still had oil coming out with the stock intercooler. Ill be buying BM3 soon so that'll help me know for sure.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2019, 11:12 PM   #26
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by khj24 View Post
Yikes that IC damage, I'm not incredibly familiar with the internal structure, but the line of fins pulling down and away from the metal is a new one for me. It looks like something narrow hit it and concentrated the impact over a small area.
You do realize that this is how it came out of the box right? That photo is pre-install. I feel like i just got totally F*cked on this IC... Problems from the very beginning.

Quote:
Glad to hear you finally got a resolution, I am a bit afraid that mine is still leaking if yours was with the 4mm. I honestly think ill buy a different CP if that's the case, sounds like you had a fun time installing it and I really have little interest going through that. Just don't think we should be having to deal with this, if we were using a mix of aftermarket brands and/or OEM maybe, but two connected parts from the same brand having issues is a bit hard to be cool with.

Funny enough, my problems started with the VRSF CP and stock IC, but yes that connection is tighter. Makes me think the IC connection is a bit smaller and the CP one larger. I was still had oil coming out with the stock intercooler. Ill be buying BM3 soon so that'll help me know for sure.
Well just praying that holds; i never want to remove the IC and CP again... no TIC in the near future for me. In my case, i dont think its the CP, i think its the IC cold side connection, based on all the tests i did.

Hate to say but if oil can come out, air can too... do you have VRSF CP+IC now? What problems do/did you have? I agree, this has been a bit ridiculous; i specifically got the VRSF CP and IC in the same order to avoid this.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2019, 09:50 AM   #27
khj24
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
You do realize that this is how it came out of the box right? That photo is pre-install. I feel like i just got totally F*cked on this IC... Problems from the very beginning.

Well just praying that holds; i never want to remove the IC and CP again... no TIC in the near future for me. In my case, i dont think its the CP, i think its the IC cold side connection, based on all the tests i did.

Hate to say but if oil can come out, air can too... do you have VRSF CP+IC now? What problems do/did you have? I agree, this has been a bit ridiculous; i specifically got the VRSF CP and IC in the same order to avoid this.
Well aware if oil is coming out I have a leak, car has never felt right since the CP was installed. Both parts are installed at the moment, and thats interesting for the TIC side, mine is bone dry and looks perfectly fine. I remember it fits quite snugly too, I think my issue is mainly the CP, but the IC didnt help by being a bit looser as well. I wonder if it were possible if you took the IC out and installed the bottom CP part with it on the ground. FWIW the car feels pretty good right now and seems to have eliminated a lot of the jerkiness that I have dealt with for over a year now.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2019, 12:14 PM   #28
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Well aware if oil is coming out I have a leak, car has never felt right since the CP was installed. Both parts are installed at the moment, and thats interesting for the TIC side, mine is bone dry and looks perfectly fine. I remember it fits quite snugly too, I think my issue is mainly the CP, but the IC didnt help by being a bit looser as well. I wonder if it were possible if you took the IC out and installed the bottom CP part with it on the ground. FWIW the car feels pretty good right now and seems to have eliminated a lot of the jerkiness that I have dealt with for over a year now.
Yeah, it does seem odd that the stock TIC side fit/sealed with the stock Oring on the VRSF IC. If my VRSF CP didnt feel tighter on the stock IC than on the VRSF IC, then i would suspect CP as well, but i can only conclude its the IC cold side that is out of spec (too small).

I tried exactly what you said. A couple weeks ago i completely removed the VRSF IC and CP and tried all the different size Orings with the IC on the ground. There was no way the 4.5mmx60mm Oring was going to fit, even will all my body weight/force and the IC on the ground with ideal leverage, it wouldnt go on. That's why i went with the 4mmx59mm last time; it was the biggest i could fit. This time around knowing it was insufficient, i sanded down the 4.5mmx60mm until i could JUST force it on.

As long as the car drives ok and your logs look on point in terms of boost targets and WGDC, i would just leave it honestly. Even if you have a slight leak, probably not worth it to go through all this for a neglible improvement.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2019, 01:29 PM   #29
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Isn't this an issue with the fitment of VRSF products? I don't have this issue at all with my ER CP, but then again, everything else is stock.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2019, 02:00 PM   #30
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo08816 View Post
Isn't this an issue with the fitment of VRSF products? I don't have this issue at all with my ER CP, but then again, everything else is stock.
I did a lot of research before pulling the trigger with VRSF and i didnt see any indication that there were issues across the board with VRSF IC/CP, or i definitely would not have went that route. There seemed to be universally positive reviews, and no one seemed to be going through this level of effort to try and get it to work/seal properly.

Hindsight 20/20, i wish i would have just gotten the AA CP/IC combo instead, but no guarantee that would have worked flawlessly.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2019, 04:32 PM   #31
khj24
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I did a lot of research before pulling the trigger with VRSF and i didnt see any indication that there were issues across the board with VRSF IC/CP, or i definitely would not have went that route. There seemed to be universally positive reviews, and no one seemed to be going through this level of effort to try and get it to work/seal properly.

Hindsight 20/20, i wish i would have just gotten the AA CP/IC combo instead, but no guarantee that would have worked flawlessly.
Agree on this, I thought maybe the finish might not be great or minor cosmetic things, but fitment issues are hard to justify the savings. Could be just us, but I am finding that hard to believe.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2019, 09:18 AM   #32
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:

Quote:
Agree on this, I thought maybe the finish might not be great or minor cosmetic things, but fitment issues are hard to justify the savings. Could be just us, but I am finding that hard to believe.
Yeah, fitment issues = not worth the savings.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2019, 02:35 PM   #33
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

VRSF products don't have the best build quality. Many have had issues with fitment. It's my understanding that the VRSF charge pipes were revised at some point in the late summer. Perhaps they using a new vendor for the flanges and the diameters are a bit larger than the ones previously used?

With that said, there's good reason why BMW uses plastic for the CP and the flanges. They have a bit of flex and expansion to seal themselves fully to the throttle body and IC. A metal charge pipe solely lies on the o-rings to do this and is why some people have issues with boost leaks and metal charge pipes.
      11-04-2019, 12:02 AM   #34
exE36M3
BMW CCA Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i M Sport

FWIW - I have the VRSF 5" HD IC and matching chargepipe - and I've been around German and Japanese import performance for a solid 20+ years. Build quality, even from the most respected brands can sometimes be iffy. It's REALLY hard to match OEM quality.

But my story is... the IC went in fine, mounted up fine. So ok VRSF IC for me.

BUT the VRSF chargepipe. I'd give it a 7/8 of 10 in build quality. It's a decent thickness aluminum and nice black/crinkle finish. But the inside of the pipe on mine was unfinished. NO polish or deburring, so there's going to be some turbulence in there.

As far as the install, if NOT connected to the IC, with an OEM o-ring, the CP when on/off with a good push. BUT once hooked up to the IC, it was a bear to get on. I ended up coating the (new) OEM BMW O-ring with synthetic oil, jiggling the connecting coupler to the IC, and finally muscled it on. The CP is pretty snug, not much play if any.

Just me 2-cents. I'd advise OK in the VRSF intercooler, but the CP... I'd have to look at a competing brand/unit to really say buy/don't buy.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2019, 11:41 AM   #35
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by percychow View Post
FWIW - I have the VRSF 5" HD IC and matching chargepipe - and I've been around German and Japanese import performance for a solid 20+ years. Build quality, even from the most respected brands can sometimes be iffy. It's REALLY hard to match OEM quality.

But my story is... the IC went in fine, mounted up fine. So ok VRSF IC for me.

BUT the VRSF chargepipe. I'd give it a 7/8 of 10 in build quality. It's a decent thickness aluminum and nice black/crinkle finish. But the inside of the pipe on mine was unfinished. NO polish or deburring, so there's going to be some turbulence in there.

As far as the install, if NOT connected to the IC, with an OEM o-ring, the CP when on/off with a good push. BUT once hooked up to the IC, it was a bear to get on. I ended up coating the (new) OEM BMW O-ring with synthetic oil, jiggling the connecting coupler to the IC, and finally muscled it on. The CP is pretty snug, not much play if any.

Just me 2-cents. I'd advise OK in the VRSF intercooler, but the CP... I'd have to look at a competing brand/unit to really say buy/don't buy.
I have a highly modified 3000GT VR-4 (twin turbo) that i have owned for over 12 years so this is not my first time working on a turbo car either.

My VRSF IC came with a handful of bent fins out of the box (which seems about par for the course) in addition to some actual damage to one of the bars across the middle. My VRSF CP was the same as yours - inside was not cleaned up, and there was overspray from the black finish all over the inside of the pipe as well.

In terms of the fitment you describe, mine was nowhere near that. With stock Oring, you could literally move/rattle the CP-IC connection from side and side and essentially in all directions with free play, even after the clip was on. It required zero effort and simply slid/fell on with gravity. The 4mm Oring was better, but verified to still leak with my boost leak tester. It wasnt until i fit the slightly sanded 4.5mm Oring that it finally had a tight connection and sealed. And yes, i used motor oil to aid in getting the connections to slide on.

I am not bashing VRSF productions or anything, i guess i was just the unlucky one with a IC-CP connection thats way out of spec. It seems this is probably uncommon but not a one-off incident.
Appreciate 2
      11-04-2019, 01:14 PM   #36
pw0n
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i

Quote:
I have a highly modified 3000GT VR-4 (twin turbo) that i have owned for over 12 years so this is not my first time working on a turbo car either.

My VRSF IC came with a handful of bent fins out of the box (which seems about par for the course) in addition to some actual damage to one of the bars across the middle. My VRSF CP was the same as yours - inside was not cleaned up, and there was overspray from the black finish all over the inside of the pipe as well.

In terms of the fitment you describe, mine was nowhere near that. With stock Oring, you could literally move/rattle the CP-IC connection from side and side and essentially in all directions with free play, even after the clip was on. It required zero effort and simply slid/fell on with gravity. The 4mm Oring was better, but verified to still leak with my boost leak tester. It wasnt until i fit the slightly sanded 4.5mm Oring that it finally had a tight connection and sealed. And yes, i used motor oil to aid in getting the connections to slide on.

I am not bashing VRSF productions or anything, i guess i was just the unlucky one with a IC-CP connection thats way out of spec. It seems this is probably uncommon but not a one-off incident.
Would you say it's more the IC's issue or the CP's? Have you tried mating your CP to BMW's OEM IC? And vice versa, have you tried mating the VRSF IC to BMW's OEM CP? If so, what were the results?
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2019, 05:45 PM   #37
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pw0n View Post
Would you say it's more the IC's issue or the CP's? Have you tried mating your CP to BMW's OEM IC? And vice versa, have you tried mating the VRSF IC to BMW's OEM CP? If so, what were the results?
I think it is the IC. See this post here: https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...43&postcount=4

In summary:

Quote:
As for the CP-IC connection, I did end up getting the 4mm x 59mm Oring to work. And yes, it was significantly harder to install than the stock one. One interesting note here is that I removed the VRSF CP and first started testing Orings on the stock IC on the ground. I could NOT get the VRSF CP to fit on the stock IC connection with the 4mm x 59mm Oring. Even with the IC on the ground and applying a ton of force, it simply would not go on. However, the VRSF CP DID fit on the VRSF IC with this same Oring (with some effort but not a crazy amount). This leads me to believe that the VRSF IC must be ever so slightly smaller diameter at the connection point than the stock IC, which would in turn lead to a loose/potentially leaky fit with the VRSF CP using a stock Oring. This is consistent with how easily the VRSF CP just slid onto the VRSF IC with zero effort when using stock Oring. FWIW I also tested a ton of other Orings (e.g., also 59mm but 4.5 mm and 5mm CS) and nothing bigger was going to fit on the VRSF IC-CP connection. I thought the 60mm x 4.5mm was a good contender, but it was not going to work (that 0.5mm makes a huge difference).
So basically, the VRSF CP connection to the stock IC was much tighter than the connection between the VRSF CP and VRSF IC. The above post was before i took everything apart most recently. I am now running the 60mmx4.5mm Oring with the inner diameter very slightly sanded down. I would also note that is appears to be only the cold side of the IC. The stock TIC pipe seals fine to the hot side of the IC with a stock Oring. I should have taken some measurements of the IC connection points compared to stock to have that data, but in the moment i didnt think of that with the level of frustration things were not working, and theres no way i am taking that apart again lol. I did not try the stock CP on the VRSF IC. It may have provided interesting info but figured it was an irrelevant test since there was no way i was putting the stock CP back in.

I think the moral of the story for this thread is to have these non-OEM Orings on hand if you plan to do any aftermarket IC or CP install. It simply isnt worth the risk of just assuming the stock Oring will seal an aftermarket IC/CP connection. I should have known from the very beginning the connection was not going to seal well enough, but thats before the hours of research on the forums and taking everything apart 2 additional times experimenting with different Orings.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2019, 05:59 PM   #38
exE36M3
BMW CCA Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i M Sport

@thejeremyman9 - man, so it sounds like your CP intake connector was either over machined or they grabbed the wrong size tube off the V8 pile(?) before they welded it on the jig.

Your thread is a good one. If anything, some poor soul out there will find this thread and know they aren't crazy.
Just sorry you had to deal with this.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2019, 06:16 PM   #39
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I think it is the IC. See this post here: https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...43&postcount=4

In summary:

So basically, the VRSF CP connection to the stock IC was much tighter than the connection between the VRSF CP and VRSF IC. The above post was before i took everything apart most recently. I am now running the 60mmx4.5mm Oring with the inner diameter very slightly sanded down. I would also note that is appears to be only the cold side of the IC. The stock TIC pipe seals fine to the hot side of the IC with a stock Oring. I should have taken some measurements of the IC connection points compared to stock to have that data, but in the moment i didnt think of that with the level of frustration things were not working, and theres no way i am taking that apart again lol. I did not try the stock CP on the VRSF IC. It may have provided interesting info but figured it was an irrelevant test since there was no way i was putting the stock CP back in.

I think the moral of the story for this thread is to have these non-OEM Orings on hand if you plan to do any aftermarket IC or CP install. It simply isnt worth the risk of just assuming the stock Oring will seal an aftermarket IC/CP connection. I should have known from the very beginning the connection was not going to seal well enough, but thats before the hours of research on the forums and taking everything apart 2 additional times experimenting with different Orings.
I'll probably end up getting a Wagner Evo 2 Competition IC and mate it up with my ER CP. Hopefully Wager's ICs are closer to stock specs.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2019, 08:40 PM   #40
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by percychow View Post
@thejeremyman9 - man, so it sounds like your CP intake connector was either over machined or they grabbed the wrong size tube off the V8 pile(?) before they welded it on the jig.

Your thread is a good one. If anything, some poor soul out there will find this thread and know they aren't crazy.
Just sorry you had to deal with this.
Yeah, i suspect machined too much with insufficient QC to catch it before it was shipped out. I also got the IC right after a new batch came in (when i ordered it was out of stock apparently, stock was resupplied 9/9/2019). I sure hope that other people make use of the info. I mean, using the larger Orings is pretty much the only viable option to get these connections to seal if any of your parts are even slightly out of spec. We are talking about tolerances on the mm or smaller scale, which caused pretty substantial boost leaks. Thanks; I'm sorry i had to deal with it too lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo08816 View Post
I'll probably end up getting a Wagner Evo 2 Competition IC and mate it up with my ER CP. Hopefully Wager's ICs are closer to stock specs.
Honestly i would just order the 4mmx59mm, 4.5mmx60mm, and 4mmx81mm (for the CP-TB connection) Orings to have on hand before even trying the install. Two of each of the first ones if you are worried about TIC-IC connection as well. Small price to pay for insurance against a leak and having to install twice. If you are paranoid or want to be absolutely sure, you can make a boost leak tester how i describe in the other thread.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2019, 01:05 AM   #41
bdragon46
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 335i

Been following this thread since it started. I have FTP tic, VRSF ic and cp. Went ahead and replaced the stock o rings in my tic and the ic. Did a log and my boost actually went above target and got throttle closures, it's been below target for months. I've long suspected the connection between the ic and cp, it moved around bit too much. Thanks for sharing
Appreciate 1
      11-05-2019, 09:41 AM   #42
XxThe_RemedyXx
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

FWIW my new VRSF CP fits very well into my AA FMIC using new OEM o-rings on both ends. I used plumbers tape on the bung threads and cranked them down tight. The new position of the silicone coupler is much better now as well. It can be tightened from the top whereas the old one required the removal of the belly pan to get to the clamps from under the car. No boost leaks.
Attached Images

Last edited by XxThe_RemedyXx; 11-05-2019 at 12:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2019, 11:46 AM   #43
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdragon46 View Post
Been following this thread since it started. I have FTP tic, VRSF ic and cp. Went ahead and replaced the stock o rings in my tic and the ic. Did a log and my boost actually went above target and got throttle closures, it's been below target for months. I've long suspected the connection between the ic and cp, it moved around bit too much. Thanks for sharing
Well, glad to hear it helped someone else. Did you use the 4mmx59mm for those two connections to the IC?

I suspect it went above target because your WGDC and other adaptations were making up for a boost leak. If you reset adaptations or just give it some time i imagine the boost control will be on point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxThe_RemedyXx View Post
FWIW my new VRSF CP fits very well into my AA FMIC using new OEM o-rings on both ends. I used plumbers tape on the bung threads and cranked them down tight. The new position of the silicone coupler is much better now as well. It can be tightened from the top whereas the old one required the removal of the belly pan to get to the clamps from under the car. No boost leaks.
Yeah; seems to potentially be the VRSF IC that is the culprit. I have no complaints about the bungs (used teflon tape and they went in tight with no leaks) or the other ports/connections on the CP. Boost leak tester showed no leaks. I also thought the coupler was fine despite reading a lot of threads (albeit some older) that the coupler was too short and barely reached. I was able to get it over the rolled edges on both sections of the CP without issue. Perhaps they revised it at people's request.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2019, 01:07 PM   #44
pw0n
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i

Quote:
Yeah, i suspect machined too much with insufficient QC to catch it before it was shipped out. I also got the IC right after a new batch came in (when i ordered it was out of stock apparently, stock was resupplied 9/9/2019). I sure hope that other people make use of the info. I mean, using the larger Orings is pretty much the only viable option to get these connections to seal if any of your parts are even slightly out of spec. We are talking about tolerances on the mm or smaller scale, which caused pretty substantial boost leaks. Thanks; I'm sorry i had to deal with it too lol.

Honestly i would just order the 4mmx59mm, 4.5mmx60mm, and 4mmx81mm (for the CP-TB connection) Orings to have on hand before even trying the install. Two of each of the first ones if you are worried about TIC-IC connection as well. Small price to pay for insurance against a leak and having to install twice. If you are paranoid or want to be absolutely sure, you can make a boost leak tester how i describe in the other thread.
Damn... I'm also part of that 9/9 batch. xph even reached out to me and asked if I wanted to proceed w/ the order. Should've cancelled and went w/ CTS Turbo *facepalm*

I still have my stock IC on, is it even worth changing it out at this point?
Appreciate 0