F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > *** bootmod3 for BMW B58 - Now Available ***
Extreme Powerhouse

04-05-2019, 07:49 PM   #221
BMWILUVU
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 340ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT500R View Post
Reverse that statement.
Price lowered not too long ago.
Appreciate 1
FSociety3812.50
      04-05-2019, 08:49 PM   #222
B58 parts
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 340ix 6MT

Just flashed stg1 93. Something isn't right. It surges. Wot 3rd gear, it hits real hard, cuts back, builds back up, cuts back .. repeat 4 or 5 times all the way to redline. Any thoughts? Car ran perfect on stock map. Only engine mod is bms intake. I am always in DSC off mode.

Last edited by B58 parts; 04-05-2019 at 08:56 PM..
Appreciate 1
      04-05-2019, 08:53 PM   #223
eric97h
Bmw340i Mppsk, bm3 tune,vrsf downpipe dinan intake
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw 340i fbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLJustin View Post
There's no options to select closed valves for comfort mode. When I originally had MPPSK installed exhaust valves were always defaulted to closed in comfort with exception of cold start. Tune has valves open at all times but no burbles in comfort. Sport and sport + only changes throttle response and burble aggressiveness. Would really like having silent comfort mode back
I have Mppk as well are you sure valves are open in comfort and eco as well ?
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2019, 08:56 PM   #224
HLJustin
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 Alpine White 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric97h View Post
Quote:
There's no options to select closed valves for comfort mode. When I originally had MPPSK installed exhaust valves were always defaulted to closed in comfort with exception of cold start. Tune has valves open at all times but no burbles in comfort. Sport and sport + only changes throttle response and burble aggressiveness. Would really like having silent comfort mode back
I have Mppk as well are you sure valves are open in comfort and eco as well ?
Positive. When I switch between modes there's no sound from electronic valves actuating. However when I use iCarly to manually control valves it works
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2019, 09:04 PM   #225
TreDirtyFive
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by YuminNuman View Post
Just flashed stg1 93. Something isn't right. It surges. Wot 3rd gear, it hits real hard, cuts back, builds back up, cuts back .. repeat 4 or 5 times all the way to redline. Any thoughts? Car ran perfect on stock map. Only engine mod is bms intake. I am always in DSC off mode.
Sounds like throttle pull from torque limiter intervention?
      04-05-2019, 09:21 PM   #226
eric97h
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Positive. When I switch between modes there's no sound from electronic valves actuating. However when I use iCarly to manually control valves it works
So I can’t even make bootmod close the valves ? From exhaust valve actuation ?
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2019, 09:22 PM   #227
j1980mac
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Newt View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by j1980mac View Post
Anyone else get this after the flash?
Did you try resetting codes and adaptations?
Would I do this through the BM3 app?
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2019, 09:26 PM   #228
HLJustin
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
So I can’t even make bootmod close the valves ? From exhaust valve actuation ?
Yep, which I find strange. Only works with iCarly valve actuator.

Do you have MPPSK and not have this issue after flash? Bc normally on stock MPPSK car is loud on start up bc cold start, but then settles in after a min or so with valves closed. If I switch to sport it stays closed until you throttle is applied, at which point you hear it actuate. If you switch back to comfort you hear valves actuate right away
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2019, 09:30 PM   #229
eric97h
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Do you have MPPSK and not have this issue after flash? Bc normally on stock MPPSK car is loud on start up bc cold start, but then settles in after a min or so with valves closed. If I switch to sport it stays closed until you throttle is applied, at which point you hear it actuate. If you switch back to comfort you hear valves actuate right away
Ya exact same as you I really don’t want my valves to be open in comfort and eco this is really bad and loud with my downpipe
Appreciate 1
      04-05-2019, 09:36 PM   #230
HLJustin
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Ya exact same as you I really don’t want my valves to be open in comfort and eco this is really bad and loud with my downpipe
Here's to hoping that someone is able to provide solution! We out in California got CHP and PDs with no chill when it comes to car mods. Can't afford exhaust violation and trip to BAR, spent all my money on mods and tunes already haha
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2019, 09:52 PM   #231
eric97h
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Why can’t it work just like how Mppk does I emailed them already about this
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2019, 09:56 PM   #232
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i |2016 340i | 2010 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Araemo View Post
No, but it is traditionally used for dyno runs because it should have the 'least' drivetrain loss. That wouldn't effect the datalogging on the street any though.
Really it's because every other gear has a larger multiplier on torque. The gear that's closest to 1:1 will be the gear that's closest to telling you actual engine output.

Quote:
Quote:
Here's to hoping that someone is able to provide solution! We out in California got CHP and PDs with no chill when it comes to car mods. Can't afford exhaust violation and trip to BAR, spent all my money on mods and tunes already haha
Sorry I mentioned the wrong menu. This is what I am talking about, under the diagnostics section. Select "Auto" or "closed" and see if that changes anything? Maybe I'm misunderstanding what this menu is used for.
Youtube/Instagram/TikTok: @kern417
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2019, 10:07 PM   #233
eric97h
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kern417 View Post
Really it's because every other gear has a larger multiplier on torque. The gear that's closest to 1:1 will be the gear that's closest to telling you actual engine output.

Sorry I mentioned the wrong menu. This is what I am talking about, under the diagnostics section. Select "Auto" or "closed" and see if that changes anything? Maybe I'm misunderstanding what this menu is used for.
I Litterally spammed and tried this for a hour straght I pressed it while engine was on and off it did nothing lol
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2019, 10:28 PM   #234
eric97h
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWILUVU View Post
LmAoo so whoever bought it back than they got ripped hard ?
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2019, 11:07 PM   #235
B58togo
Major
Rep
Drives: M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90ROXS View Post
Why is Mission Tuning is more expensive than this tune?
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT500R View Post
Reverse that statement.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWILUVU View Post
Supply and demand isn't rocket science. When you're the only game in town (well....as of last summer anyway), you can charge whatever you want. It's no coincidence the new Mission group buy price commenced the same day PTF dropped. You'll soon see Mission's price permanently drop to a price point right in line with the rest.
      04-05-2019, 11:10 PM   #236
B58 parts
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 340ix 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreDirtyFive View Post
Maybe .. i can't tell if the big hit is over boosting or if the big hit is the stg 1 and it's cutting back to save itself. Partial and 3/4 throttle seems to be smooth, quite a bit spicier. It's only WOT the turbo noise changes back and forth through the rev range and the power curve is a wave .. it feels like a throttle cut or it's not getting fuel.. but it also feels like it is going to run up off the cliff as it gets quite loud

Car is a manual in dsc off mode so i don't know why else it would be cutting. I tried sport+ and it did the same. Plugs are new OEM everything else really seems fine.

I guess I will try reset adaptations and get the logs .. I assumed flashing the entire module like that would reset them but apparently not.

Last edited by B58 parts; 04-05-2019 at 11:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2019, 12:25 AM   #237
Sub1427
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i

Quote:
Quote:
Maybe .. i can't tell if the big hit is over boosting or if the big hit is the stg 1 and it's cutting back to save itself. Partial and 3/4 throttle seems to be smooth, quite a bit spicier. It's only WOT the turbo noise changes back and forth through the rev range and the power curve is a wave .. it feels like a throttle cut or it's not getting fuel.. but it also feels like it is going to run up off the cliff as it gets quite loud

Car is a manual in dsc off mode so i don't know why else it would be cutting. I tried sport+ and it did the same. Plugs are new OEM everything else really seems fine.

I guess I will try reset adaptations and get the logs .. I assumed flashing the entire module like that would reset them but apparently not.
Quote:
Quote:

I'm in the same boat... It's not smooth at all.. Surges and quits... WOT has waves of power then dies.. Around town driving is fine. May need to let the car adapt the 50 miles to see... Time will tell... Downpipe goes in in 10 hours... Stg 2 here we come... Probably surge(y) stg 2...Hopefully not
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2019, 12:41 AM   #238
Araemo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 340iX 6MT

Quote:
Post a datalog or else people can only guess.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2019, 01:24 AM   #239
hybris
Lieutenant
Norway
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e F30 M-sport

Garage List
Those with problems should probably post a datalog to support to get a good answer

And for reference to a number of other questions in this thread, here's the manual - it's quite good https://bootmod3.atlassian.net/wiki/...d3+User+Manual
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2019, 01:57 AM   #240
BMW4RVR
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 340i Xdrive

I have a stock 340i xdrive with 48k miles. I am planning to get BM3 and use the stage1 91 octaine map. This will be the first time I am tuning a BMW and need your help.

My questions are:

1.How does it impact the life of the engine and Turbo if I keep it at Stage 1?

2 . Is it true that if I install a DP and use the related map it would extend the life of the Turbo (a safer tune)?

3. For the safest tune and power increase, what would be your recommendation? (Except for leaving it stock)

Thanks,
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2019, 04:28 AM   #241
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW4RVR View Post
I have a stock 340i xdrive with 48k miles. I am planning to get BM3 and use the stage1 91 octaine map. This will be the first time I am tuning a BMW and need your help.

My questions are:

2 . Is it true that if I install a DP and use the related map it would extend the life of the Turbo (a safer tune)?

3. For the safest tune and power increase, what would be your recommendation? (Except for leaving it stock)

Thanks,
I often read the principle that a decat is somehow 'easier' on the turbo. It seems the posters of this message have the idea that the cat creates a blockage which somehow adds additional pressure and load to the turbo.
I've even heard that decat helps thermal management of the turbo by allowing the hot gasses to pass freely. This second part is especially hilarious to those in the know.

The above idea is completely flawed. It's what happens when untrained people try to make logic out of complex science.

Reality: It is common for OEM turbo installations to have a physical turbo exit restriction. This helps the wastegate control boost pressures as it softens the ability of the turbo to overspeed in high flow conditions. It can also help with turbine surge, but that is another subject. This restriction limits the volume flow of gas that can pass through the turbo and therefore the turbine speed. In the case of the B58, that restriction appears to be the cat.
Remove the cat and you place all the effort of controlling turbine speed on the wastegate alone. Now whilst that is the WG's job, it will be tuned in standard form to react to stock system requirements, this includes PWM of the control signal. Remove the physical flow control device 'the cat' and you are almost certainly going to experience spikes of overboost and turbine overspeed that the WG just cannot react to in the time it happens. That in no way makes it 'easier for the turbo'.

Conclusion: removing the cat places higher strain on the turbo. Period.
Appreciate 3
      04-06-2019, 05:06 AM   #242
BMW4RVR
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 340i Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
Quote:

My questions are:

Thanks,
I often read the principle that a decat is somehow 'easier' on the turbo. It seems the posters of this message have the idea that the cat creates a blockage which somehow adds additional pressure and load to the turbo.
I've even heard that decat helps thermal management of the turbo by allowing the hot gasses to pass freely. This second part is especially hilarious to those in the know.

The above idea is completely flawed. It's what happens when untrained people try to make logic out of complex science.

Reality: It is common for OEM turbo installations to have a physical turbo exit restriction. This helps the wastegate control boost pressures as it softens the ability of the turbo to overspeed in high flow conditions. It can also help with turbine surge, but that is another subject. This restriction limits the volume flow of gas that can pass through the turbo and therefore the turbine speed. In the case of the B58, that restriction appears to be the cat.
Remove the cat and you place all the effort of controlling turbine speed on the wastegate alone. Now whilst that is the WG's job, it will be tuned in standard form to react to stock system requirements, this includes PWM of the control signal. Remove the physical flow control device 'the cat' and you are almost certainly going to experience spikes of overboost and turbine overspeed that the WG just cannot react to in the time it happens. That in no way makes it 'easier for the turbo'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
Quote:

My questions are:

Thanks,

Thank you for your great reply. I appreciate it . In this case do you recommend simple Stage 1 tuning? I am not looking for crazy power increase.
Appreciate 0