F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Muffler shop used 2.75 to 3 inch exhaust coupler?
proTUNING Freaks

09-10-2019, 03:21 PM   #1
giacMeister
IG: @madmike_x6m
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X6M

Muffler shop used 2.75 to 3 inch exhaust coupler?

I have a n55 F32, originally I did a resonator delete but didn't like the sound so I went to a muffler shop and had it welded back on. However, he had to cut off around 2 inches of pipe before the resonator due to me using too much exhaust sealant on the resonator delete clamp and it wouldn't form a perfect weld anyways he had to use a 2.75 to 3 inch pipe coupler to fit the resonator back on. My question is is will it affect performance or anything else with that little 3 inch long 2.75 -> 3 inch diameter coupler since the whole pipe is supposed to be 3 inches? Or am I just overthinking it.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2019, 05:33 PM   #2
doodlebro
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by giacDaddy View Post
I have a n55 F32, originally I did a resonator delete but didn't like the sound so I went to a muffler shop and had it welded back on. However, he had to cut off around 2 inches of pipe before the resonator due to me using too much exhaust sealant on the resonator delete clamp and it wouldn't form a perfect weld anyways he had to use a 2.75 to 3 inch pipe coupler to fit the resonator back on. My question is is will it affect performance or anything else with that little 3 inch long 2.75 -> 3 inch diameter coupler since the whole pipe is supposed to be 3 inches? Or am I just overthinking it.
It's definitely going to be different than stock. Hard to say anything will be damaged, but you effectively reduced the engine's ability to push air out, which will create resistance for anything upstream of the exhaust.

I'd expect you to not notice if you're stock.
Appreciate 1
      09-11-2019, 02:25 PM   #3
BeerHerder
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335, G01 X3, Victory Vegas

What about the sound didn't you like? Just curious and I have all the "stuff" to do this, but haven't pulled the trigger yet. Partially out of being lazy and not wanting to crawl around under my car...
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2019, 05:10 PM   #4
MineralF30
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerHerder View Post
What about the sound didn't you like? Just curious and I have all the "stuff" to do this, but haven't pulled the trigger yet. Partially out of being lazy and not wanting to crawl around under my car...
I did my resonator delete about 8 months ago and I still love the sound. It gives the exhaust a little bit of a raspier tone and the burbles are louder. I had a catless DP and stock muffler at the time and id say it made my exhaust maybe 10-20% louder so its nothing crazy.
Appreciate 2
      09-11-2019, 05:21 PM   #5
e46m3to335i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3

Unless you're planning on pushing more than 600+ hp, you'll never be able to tell a difference with a 1/4" bottleneck added in.
Appreciate 1
      09-12-2019, 02:32 PM   #6
giacMeister
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerHerder View Post
Personally I didn't find the sound enjoyable, I can't put my finger on it but I think it's due to how raspy it sounded and untamed it was. I'm very particular with how my car sounds I guess lol. I ended up ordering an M performance muffler which should compliment my cabless DP well(given others' opinion on the sound combination). Definitely would've been too loud for my taste if I had the catless dp, resonator delete, AND m performance muffler. If you know someone or maybe can meetup with someone on the forums to see how it sounds first then I'd recommend doing that before going all in on chopping the resonator off and spending money to get it welded back in.
Appreciate 1
      09-12-2019, 02:33 PM   #7
giacMeister
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46m3to335i View Post
Unless you're planning on pushing more than 600+ hp, you'll never be able to tell a difference with a 1/4" bottleneck added in.
Yeah that makes sense, I definitely don't plan on pushing that much. The guy told me he actually used a 2.8 inch coupler so it's even less of a bottleneck. Thanks for the input
Appreciate 1