F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > 191C02 code alone.
Extreme Powerhouse

06-15-2020, 06:52 PM   #1
hollovoid7
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 428xi Gran Coupe

*solved*

Greetings!

I am getting a 191C02 code, which ista is saying is "Fuel tank ventilation system, second inlet point: malfunction." That I can't seem to get to go away. Some context.
I originally had 3 codes.
191C02
190F08 "fuel tank ventilation system: malfunction"
And
195014 "differential pressure sensor, tank vent valve, signal permanently stuck"

And SAE code P0440 which is generic for evap small leak detected.

So I bought a new gas cap as mine had slight cracking on rubber seal, I also bought a new vent valve, and unhooked the line to the small Venturi (second Inlet point) and blew compressed air through it to check for obstructions as instructed by ABL from ISTA. I have a new venturi coming as a last resort but I did feel vacuum from the sensor port when I blew air through so I'm guessing it's not going to help. My question is, what else can cause the second inlet fault? Am I missing something? I have gone through the entire car for cracked lines and holes, re checked all connections and made sure all snap connections were on all the way.

I can reset it but within 40 miles it's back again, just the 191C02 by itself.

Any ideas or relevant experiences would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Sean
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2020, 06:03 PM   #2
hollovoid7
Private
United_States
Rep

Still trying to figure this one out, Any suggestions are welcome!
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2020, 06:48 PM   #3
hollovoid7
Private
United_States
Rep

Ok! I got it. So I replaced the Tank ventilation valve which got rid of 2 of the codes, but the second inlet one kept persisting. Even though it felt free of obstruction, and I couldn't find any leaks I changed the Venturi that hooks to the tank vent valve line and second inlet sensor, and 180 miles so far without issue.

In case anyone else runs into this, hope it helps!!
Appreciate 1
VipinLJ1941.50
      09-17-2020, 02:00 PM   #4
Ur3sss
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollovoid7 View Post
Ok! I got it. So I replaced the Tank ventilation valve which got rid of 2 of the codes, but the second inlet one kept persisting. Even though it felt free of obstruction, and I couldn't find any leaks I changed the Venturi that hooks to the tank vent valve line and second inlet sensor, and 180 miles so far without issue.

Im having the same issue right now, 191C02 code is persisting. No leaks and vent valve is replaced. Do you have the part number for what solved your issue? I've been chasing this issue on and off for nearly a month now.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2020, 03:30 PM   #5
hollovoid7
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ur3sss View Post
Quote:

Im having the same issue right now, 191C02 code is persisting. No leaks and vent valve is replaced. Do you have the part number for what solved your issue? I've been chasing this issue on and off for nearly a month now.
On Turner it's called the fuel tank breather valve line. Part number 13907601515.

Was about 65$, that is the bmw number so just
Make sure that's the one for your car and get it from your place of choice. Hopefully that does it for you! It was driving me crazy too!
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2021, 04:57 AM   #6
Androy
Registered
Rep
Drives: X3 F25

Quote:
Greetings!

I am getting a 191C02 code, which ista is saying is "Fuel tank ventilation system, second inlet point: malfunction." That I can't seem to get to go away. Some context.
I originally had 3 codes.
191C02
190F08 "fuel tank ventilation system: malfunction"
And
195014 "differential pressure sensor, tank vent valve, signal permanently stuck"

And SAE code P0440 which is generic for evap small leak detected.

So I bought a new gas cap as mine had slight cracking on rubber seal, I also bought a new vent valve, and unhooked the line to the small Venturi (second Inlet point) and blew compressed air through it to check for obstructions as instructed by ABL from ISTA. I have a new venturi coming as a last resort but I did feel vacuum from the sensor port when I blew air through so I'm guessing it's not going to help. My question is, what else can cause the second inlet fault? Am I missing something? I have gone through the entire car for cracked lines and holes, re checked all connections and made sure all snap connections were on all the way.

I can reset it but within 40 miles it's back again, just the 191C02 by itself.

Any ideas or relevant experiences would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Sean

Hi,

can you please tell me what exactly you use OEM parts / number

I have the same problem as you, I still get the error message 190F08 "fuel tank ventilation system: malfunction"

I've already exchanged

PN: 13907601515 - https://www.google.com/search?q=1390...hrome&ie=UTF-8

PN: 13907636145 - https://www.google.com/search?q=1390...4dUDCA8&uact=5

I don't know what next else to replace.

Thanks so much for the help
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2021, 08:08 AM   #7
hollovoid7
Private
United_States
Rep

13907601515 is what solved it for me, what's puzzling us it looked fine, and was free of obstructions, but that part totally solved it for me.

I would try checking every connection in those series of lines, look very close at them all, even a small split can cause an issue. Also maybe the switch itself is bad (the one that connects to the Venturi on the picture attached)

Hope this helps!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-13-2021, 01:31 AM   #8
EddieMorra
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i

Quote:
13907601515 is what solved it for me, what's puzzling us it looked fine, and was free of obstructions, but that part totally solved it for me.

I would try checking every connection in those series of lines, look very close at them all, even a small split can cause an issue. Also maybe the switch itself is bad (the one that connects to the Venturi on the picture attached)

Hope this helps!
I recently had the 190F08 code also pop up which originally gave me CEL. I cleared it and it popped up again after a week. But I have been getting terrible gas mileage ever since it happened. 16MPG at onset and now it has slowly improved but hovering around 22MPG right now. Did you notice any symptoms or just the code?
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2021, 04:33 AM   #9
hollovoid7
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieMorra View Post
Quote:

Hope this helps!
I recently had the 190F08 code also pop up which originally gave me CEL. I cleared it and it popped up again after a week. But I have been getting terrible gas mileage ever since it happened. 16MPG at onset and now it has slowly improved but hovering around 22MPG right now. Did you notice any symptoms or just the code?
No performance difference here that I know of.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2022, 03:14 AM   #10
Apad143
Rep
Drives: Bmw e92

Quote:

You said you changed the “venturi that hooks to the vent valve line and the second inlet sensor” which one is that exactly. I have the same code 191C02 and my cel keeps popping up after i clear it about 20-30 miles. I have already replaced gas cap and dtml pump. This would probably help me
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2022, 06:21 PM   #11
hollovoid7
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apad143 View Post
Quote:

You said you changed the “venturi that hooks to the vent valve line and the second inlet sensor” which one is that exactly. I have the same code 191C02 and my cel keeps popping up after i clear it about 20-30 miles. I have already replaced gas cap and dtml pump. This would probably help me
It is part number 13907601515 they call it the fuel tank breather line. That solved the returning code for me.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2022, 07:33 PM   #12
socalengineer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 640i F13 Alpine White

Quote:

Hope this helps!
How did you know to replace that hose ? I’ve tried everything but I can’t replace every single hose…. My mechanic already did a smoke test
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2022, 07:36 PM   #13
hollovoid7
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalengineer View Post
Quote:

Hope this helps!
How did you know to replace that hose ? I’ve tried everything but I can’t replace every single hose…. My mechanic already did a smoke test
In the ISTA software it mentions that the pressure switch is not changing states and actually shows you with a schematic what it's talking about. So I used that as my guide when I looked up the code.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2023, 09:33 PM   #14
mrouyre
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 320I

Quote:

Hope this helps!
Hi! Can you share the location of this line by chance...
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2023, 09:17 PM   #15
Kenneth-F32
Registered
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 bmw 430i xdrive

Bmw b46 engine code P0446 & P11C4

Hey just wondering if anyone else has had these two codes come up? I replace the breather valve & gas cap. Also checked my engine for cracks or leaks. I couldn’t find anything. Can anybody help please.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-29-2024, 05:57 PM   #16
Survivor
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Hello I dont have a CEL but i have the two codes 190f08 and 191c02 and my gas mileage has been bad no leaks it looks like. What can it be?
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2024, 07:57 AM   #17
LA430
Private
Rep
Drives: 430i

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-2...uine-bmw-part/

Solved for me.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2024, 06:18 PM   #18
Survivor
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Did you solve this. I am having the same issue and aswell the MPG is bad
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2024, 06:20 PM   #19
Survivor
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA430 View Post
Didnt work for me
Appreciate 0