F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > FSC Codes - do BMW charge dealers for them?
Extreme Powerhouse

05-10-2013, 01:36 PM   #1
-AndyH-
Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: F31 330d X-Drive M-Sport

FSC Codes - do BMW charge dealers for them?

As I understand it, the dealer accesses a BMW parts website portal, uploads a data file and gets the FSC code which can be downloaded or manually input.

Just wondering (if anyone knows) whether BMW charges dealers for each FSC code generated?
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2013, 07:12 PM   #2
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Alpina B6 650ix GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by -AndyH- View Post
As I understand it, the dealer accesses a BMW parts website portal, uploads a data file and gets the FSC code which can be downloaded or manually input.

Just wondering (if anyone knows) whether BMW charges dealers for each FSC code generated?
Yes, and quite a bit too, ranging from $250 - $750.

2018 F06 Alpina B6 650ix GC; Space Grey; Vermillion Red Nappa Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant
2017 F15 X5 xDrive50i MSport; Glacier Silver Metallic; Black Dakota Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant; RSE
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2013, 04:52 AM   #3
-AndyH-
Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep

Thanks for the response.

So BMW will know what extras etc. a car has, and will charge a dealer when trying to retrofit or add an extra on for the code. Some extras just need a code to activate.

What about requesting codes when re-coding? I assume if you request a code for an extra a car already has, BMW do not charge for this?

I am confused why there is such a variance in how much dealers charge for map updates. Is this something BMW charge dealers for too? I've had quotes from dealers ranging from $200-450!
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2013, 05:11 AM   #4
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks for the response.

So BMW will know what extras etc. a car has, and will charge a dealer when trying to retrofit or add an extra on for the code. Some extras just need a code to activate.

What about requesting codes when re-coding? I assume if you request a code for an extra a car already has, BMW do not charge for this?

I am confused why there is such a variance in how much dealers charge for map updates. Is this something BMW charge dealers for too? I've had quotes from dealers ranging from $200-450!
Not exactly.

Most features that require FSC Codes, aka Enabling Codes, also require some encoding of the car's ECU's, and the FSC Code itself needs to be imported and activated in the relevant ECU using ISTA/P or some specialized application like E-Sys or FSTool.

Dealer's just order FSC Codes though BMW's ASAP (After Sales Assistance Portal) for a specific VIN. BMW doesn't care what extras the car has or why it is being ordered. Once ordered for a car, it is part of that car's FSC Record, and replacements can be obtained for free.

The prices from BMW are fixed, but Dealers mark them up, and the markup varies. Typically FSC Codes for BMW Apps and Satellite Radio are around $250 and FSC Codes for Navigation (the system not the maps), Voice Recognition and Night Vision are around $700.

Map Update Codes are totally different though. The code itself can be generated by some outside of BMW, and the FSC Code for the map update can be entered into the Head Unit via the iDrive Controller. If you know where to look, you can download the original maps for free, and buy a map update FSC Code on the street for $50. So, you can update you Navigation Maps for very little money.

2018 F06 Alpina B6 650ix GC; Space Grey; Vermillion Red Nappa Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant
2017 F15 X5 xDrive50i MSport; Glacier Silver Metallic; Black Dakota Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant; RSE
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2013, 08:42 AM   #5
-AndyH-
Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep

Cool - so that's made things clearer.

I was originally under the assumption that dealers could get free codes from BMW to activate new services/features.

I found a PDF detailing the process a dealer goes through. If they request a repair code for a service/feature that is not linked to that vehicles VIN, it gets rejected.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf FSC Enable Codes.pdf (516.6 KB, 17408 views)
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2013, 09:23 AM   #6
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Cool - so that's made things clearer.

I was originally under the assumption that dealers could get free codes from BMW to activate new services/features.

I found a PDF detailing the process a dealer goes through. If they request a repair code for a service/feature that is not linked to that vehicles VIN, it gets rejected.
Well, I know people that order and get FSC Codes for anything, whether their car has the original factory car options for the feature or not, and even where there is no official retrofit for such, and the order is not rejected. People with older CCC iDrive Systems unofficially retrofit CIC iDrive systems, and they order and get FSC Codes for Navigation and Voice Recognition for their VIN's, even without Option Code 609 Navigation Preofessional. For my car VIN, I ordered and received an FSC Code for BMW Apps, and I do not have Option Code 6NR in my vehicle order, nor any official retrofit of it. So, this is all doable.

But, if the car is brought to the dealer for programming, and ISTA/P performs a Measures Plan, assuming it can get past the hardware check (e.g. looking for CCC and can't find it because car has CIC), ISTA/P will Cancel the FSC Code in ECU when it determines that the Vehicle Order on BMW AG's server does not have the Option Code to warrant having the FSC Code.

Appreciate 0
      05-11-2013, 10:19 AM   #7
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnsheridan View Post
Well, I know people that order and get FSC Codes for anything, whether their car has the original factory car options for the feature or not, and even where there is no official retrofit for such, and the order is not rejected. People with older CCC iDrive Systems unofficially retrofit CIC iDrive systems, and they order and get FSC Codes for Navigation and Voice Recognition for their VIN's, even without Option Code 609 Navigation Preofessional. For my car VIN, I ordered and received an FSC Code for BMW Apps, and I do not have Option Code 6NR in my vehicle order, nor any official retrofit of it. So, this is all doable.

But, if the car is brought to the dealer for programming, and ISTA/P performs a Measures Plan, assuming it can get past the hardware check (e.g. looking for CCC and can't find it because car has CIC), ISTA/P will Cancel the FSC Code in ECU when it determines that the Vehicle Order on BMW AG's server does not have the Option Code to warrant having the FSC Code.
Shawn

You rock!
      05-11-2013, 10:56 AM   #8
-AndyH-
Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep

This is really useful and interesting.

So, if your car went for programming and had a Measures Plan with ISTA/P, you would lose BMW Apps?

Essentially anything that is retrofitted needs to be official and the FSC code needs to be ordered from an official dealer (except for map updates)?
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2013, 11:17 AM   #9
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
This is really useful and interesting.

So, if your car went for programming and had a Measures Plan with ISTA/P, you would lose BMW Apps?

Essentially anything that is retrofitted needs to be official and the FSC code needs to be ordered from an official dealer (except for map updates)?
Pretty much. Yes, every time I get dealer programming, my 9C FSC Code for BMW Apps gets cancelled.

Last edited by shawnsheridan; 05-11-2013 at 08:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2013, 12:28 PM   #10
-AndyH-
Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep

Quote:
Pretty much. Yes, every time I get dealer programming, my 9C FSC Code for BMW Apps gets cancelled.
What happens then? You have to purchase a new 9C FSC code or does the existing one work still?

Last edited by -AndyH-; 05-11-2013 at 09:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2013, 12:37 PM   #11
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
What happens then? You have to purchase a new 9C FSC code or does the existing one work still?
No. It's toast when it is cacelled. There is a repair process that has to be done to get the FSC Code status from Cancelled back to Accepted.

Last edited by shawnsheridan; 05-11-2013 at 08:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2013, 08:05 PM   #12
Puri1
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: F30 328i 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by claykin View Post
Shawn

You rock!
+1
      06-06-2013, 05:32 PM   #13
AdamGarciaTX
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 35is

Question, what do you mean by get your vehicle coded? Do you mean for specialized customization features or when they have to do work on your vehicle and may require an update. I ask because my car is supposed to go into service on the 11th and just got an fsc code to update the map and dont want it to not work.

Also, are the map update FSC codes map year specific or can they be used for like a 2013 map update then a 2014 map update?
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2013, 05:33 PM   #14
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamGarciaTX View Post
Question, what do you mean by get your vehicle coded? Do you mean for specialized customization features or when they have to do work on your vehicle and may require an update. I ask because my car is supposed to go into service on the 11th and just got an fsc code to update the map and dont want it to not work.

Also, are the map update FSC codes map year specific or can they be used for like a 2013 map update then a 2014 map update?
Your NAV Update FSC code will be fine. Dealer Programming will not affect it.

The NAV Update FSC Code is VIN, Map Year, and Map Region specific.

Appreciate 0
      06-15-2013, 01:38 PM   #15
SmokeShank
Rep
Drives: 328xi M-Sport

Dealers pay for the FSC enabling codes. After its bought, its linked to the VIN for future repairs.

When I program a car at work, I can download repair enabling codes through ASAP. It includes all FSC codes for that specific car, and it is instant. A code for NAV can take 15min to 2 hours to recieve as available in ASAP. Repair codes are instantly available to the techs. Once we download them, they are saved automatically into our ISIS server for programming. Everything from there is taken care of through ISTA/P and BMW AG servers.

I just picked up my 328 a couple days ago, Im going to code out the MSA function this week and see what else can be activated/deactivated through ISTA/P
Appreciate 1
      07-10-2013, 02:18 PM   #16
nyc4runnin
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeShank View Post
Dealers pay for the FSC enabling codes. After its bought, its linked to the VIN for future repairs.

When I program a car at work, I can download repair enabling codes through ASAP. It includes all FSC codes for that specific car, and it is instant. A code for NAV can take 15min to 2 hours to recieve as available in ASAP. Repair codes are instantly available to the techs. Once we download them, they are saved automatically into our ISIS server for programming. Everything from there is taken care of through ISTA/P and BMW AG servers.

I just picked up my 328 a couple days ago, Im going to code out the MSA function this week and see what else can be activated/deactivated through ISTA/P
So does the dealer have to pay BMWNA for the Nav Map update FSC Code too ? if so how much do they pay BMWNA ?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2013, 04:13 PM   #17
Dracon
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc4runnin View Post
So does the dealer have to pay BMWNA for the Nav Map update FSC Code too ? if so how much do they pay BMWNA ?

Thanks!
Dealer's pay BMW around ~$160 for the FSC code and ~$35 for the USB stick.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2016, 03:17 PM   #18
Rogeren
Tireabuser
Norway
Rep
Drives: E30+F31

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeShank View Post

so if you replace a toasted not headunit on a navi pro car, you can get repair-fsc codes? do you know the price of these?
A friend of mine had to replace his headunit, and the dealer want's a grand to reactivate navi... because they couldn't read anything from the old one...
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2016, 03:25 PM   #19
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogeren View Post
so if you replace a toasted not headunit on a navi pro car, you can get repair-fsc codes? do you know the price of these?
A friend of mine had to replace his headunit, and the dealer want's a grand to reactivate navi... because they couldn't read anything from the old one...
PM sent.

Appreciate 0
      06-06-2017, 02:08 AM   #20
fernand330i
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2006bmw330i

fsc and acces to the asap portal

how do you obtain acces to the ASAP portal
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2018, 03:35 PM   #21
jalami
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: f30

Quote:
No. It's toast when it is cacelled. There is a repair process that has to be done to get the FSC Code status from Cancelled back to Accepted.

How is the repair of the FSC?
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2018, 04:49 PM   #22
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jalami View Post
How is the repair of the FSC?
To repair Cancelled FSC, you must delete all FSC Codes from Head Unit and replace them with the original ones. PM sent.

Appreciate 0