F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > xDrive 335D Brake Upgrade advice
Extreme Powerhouse

02-29-2020, 08:30 AM   #23
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJF30 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbles View Post
Just put my vin number in on the BMW parts website and it's showing I need 340MM. Part number - 34106797602 - Question is can I put the 370mm discs on or will these not fit?

Cheers
You would not be able to fit 370’s to a car with 340’s without changing other components - callipers etc.

Before you pay out for new parts, I have had good success in the past stopping squeaking just by doing a basic brake service/refurb. Pull the pads, clean them and the callipers using brake cleaner, removing all dust & crud. Then tidy up faces and round off sharp edges of the friction material with sand paper or a file. Apply copper grease to the back plates where it contacts the calliper and refit. If you still have life in the pads and discs, this may be enough to stop the squeak.
Excellent advice! Chances are noise is confined to one or two wheels and a good independent mechanic can quickly fix it following your advice. Often it is a cleaning of sliding surfaces and proper application of anti-squeal compound. Attached are some instructions for the front Brembos.

Concerning other comments that people made about changing components:

I wouldn't recommend slotted for street and dimpled provide little function except to pickup debris and appear rusty. They are designed for very high heat track environment and are noisy since slots are designed to dig into pads.

For the street plain rotors are fine. Cross-drilled are a great street upgrade for best bite and they shed water to maintain braking in rain. That's why drilled come on street cars from Porsche, Mercedes, McLaren, etc.

Hawk 5.0 are the best street pads that I've found in every category. I recently saw that they are available on AmazonUK so they can be found in Europe as well.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-29-2020, 10:08 AM   #24
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by James-335dx View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dholdi2 View Post
Thanks, that does help.
Are the slots handed ?
No probs. Doesn't appear so no. Doesn't say L or R so both mine are the same as far as I know
The slots should 'sweep back' from the direction of rotation.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2020, 06:15 PM   #25
dholdi2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F31 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsey View Post
Yes, that's what I meant, so each disc should be different.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2020, 06:35 AM   #26
James-335dx
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335d M Performance

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by James-335dx View Post
Quote:
Thanks, that does help.
Are the slots handed ?
No probs. Doesn't appear so no. Doesn't say L or R so both mine are the same as far as I know
Quote:
Quote:
I would usually tend to agree with you both but on recently purchasing mine I couldn't find any reference to OS and NS disks. Also after doing some research online I found images both independent and from BMW showing one side sweeping back and one sweeping forward.

One thing that is worth noting for those looking to upgrade to 370's at the front. It isn't just the position of the calliper that is an issue. The centre bore is also larger at 790mm as apposed to 765mm
Attached Images

03-01-2020, 03:26 PM   #27
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

Quote:
Quote:
I checked my Stoptech Trophy setup and it seems my memory let me down - the grooves on both discs are raked forward relative to the direction of forward rotation.

Both discs are the same, and Stoptech's installation instructions were very clear - the discs are handed L/R, so I assume there's a reason why Stoptech have the grooves raked forwards.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 0