F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > NEW RELEASE: Dinan N20 Big Turbo / Stage 4 DINANTRONICS
Studio RSR

06-21-2016, 02:28 AM   #67
enemigo13
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F32 LCI 440xi citrineblack

its crank torque right? because if its wtq its ~530Nm on the crank which is way too high considering stock is 350Nm only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D041987 View Post
I know of 3 that have cracked the head and grenade the rods at around 340 to 350 trq. 1 of which is a friend. The reason you don't see this anymore is that all the tunes limit the trq to around 320 to 330 area which is safe. ECU flash is best as it includes all safety parameters that a factory ECU has. I am making a post to include all the possible ECU flashes for our cars as there is not a concise data or consolidated list for someone to look at.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2016, 02:40 PM   #68
D041987
Big Turbo Boys N Girls
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 328I 6speed

Correct Crank torque. I hate that no one really posts WHP and WTQ. Everything is crank which I am not use to, haha
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2016, 12:57 AM   #69
enemigo13
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F32 LCI 440xi citrineblack

imho there's no point hunting for max torque numbers. I'm limiting max torque at 430Nm with flash tune and feel no need for more using 8AT. When you'll need max acceleration, rpm range will be 5000-7000rpm, so who cares about mountains of torque at 3000rpm? e.g. golf R has 380Nm and 300hp from 2.0T, so I think its a good example having healthy 2.0 300hp torque curve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D041987 View Post
Correct Crank torque. I hate that no one really posts WHP and WTQ. Everything is crank which I am not use to, haha
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2016, 07:53 PM   #70
optimaxed
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan_Engineering View Post
Stage 3 development (intercooler stage) has been completed and is just going through the internal paperwork process I assume. Stage 4 (big turbo) development is currently going through endurance / environmental testing the last I saw.

Updated the first post as well but the big turbos are now CARB approved (50 state legal).
HI Dinan

Its been 6 weeks now since the last post - can we now buy the stage 3 for the EWG ?
thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2016, 12:02 PM   #71
Dinan_Engineering
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: Any BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimaxed View Post
HI Dinan

Its been 6 weeks now since the last post - can we now buy the stage 3 for the EWG ?
thanks
I have been fighting to see if I can get more specific details the last week or so but from what I can gather there is no good news for stage 3 and 4 for the N20 right now. All of the data that was gathered the first time around for those new stages was invalidated for reasons I can't get a specific answer on and we are back to square one. Its unfortunate but that's R&D for you. ETA's and projections mean nothing until the product is officially released. Part of the reason why I personally hate sneak peaks / teasers (although I do them because I am told to do so) and why I avoid specific dates and/or timetables as much as possible. Creates an expectation that may or may not be met as things can change at the drop of a hat.

The good news (for at least one or 2 people) is that we are in need of some more test cars for development again so someone can get some free product if they were interested and in the Bay Area and wanted to offer up the car for a bit.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2016, 09:30 PM   #72
cncmastr
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3 Cecotto, F85, G05, G07,

Garage List
2018 X5 M  [0.00]
2020 M2 CS  [10.00]
2005 BMW X5 4.8is  [0.00]
2006 BMW M3  [10.00]
Thanks for the update. If rather know that your still working it out than going silent for awhile.

I'm looking forward to having this released.
      06-23-2016, 11:57 PM   #73
F30 Epal
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan_Engineering
Quote:
HI Dinan

thanks
I have been fighting to see if I can get more specific details the last week or so but from what I can gather there is no good news for stage 3 and 4 for the N20 right now. All of the data that was gathered the first time around for those new stages was invalidated for reasons I can't get a specific answer on and we are back to square one. Its unfortunate but that's R&D for you. ETA's and projections mean nothing until the product is officially released. Part of the reason why I personally hate sneak peaks / teasers (although I do them because I am told to do so) and why I avoid specific dates and/or timetables as much as possible. Creates an expectation that may or may not be met as things can change at the drop of a hat.

The good news (for at least one or 2 people) is that we are in need of some more test cars for development again so someone can get some free product if they were interested and in the Bay Area and wanted to offer up the car for a bit.
I'm from the Bay Area just throwin that out there lol.....
      06-24-2016, 08:09 AM   #74
Dinan_Engineering
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cncmastr View Post
Thanks for the update. If rather know that your still working it out than going silent for awhile.

I'm looking forward to having this released.
Appreciate the patience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30 Epal View Post
I'm from the Bay Area just throwing that out there lol.....
Do you have something besides an already modified 320i? Perhaps a stock 228i/328i/428i? The 320i is a bad building block to build the tune off of given its de-tuned nature (not really representative of the wider market).
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2016, 11:01 AM   #75
jrapf30
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i M-sport

Quote:
Appreciate the patience.

Do you have something besides an already modified 320i? Perhaps a stock 228i/328i/428i? The 320i is a bad building block to build the tune off of given its de-tuned nature (not really representative of the wider market).
I'm in the area and just recently acquired a 2013 328i. What testing would be involved and how long would you need to keep the car?
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2016, 12:56 PM   #76
willcoop
Rep
Drives: z3 coupe

Quote:

Someone use Hooli when they should have used Pied Piper?

I look forward to updates. I have a 2016 328i sports wagon. I also have a Dinan intercooler sitting in my spare room waiting for stage 3 to be released.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2016, 01:35 PM   #77
Dinan_Engineering
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRJ328i View Post
I'm in the area and just recently acquired a 2013 328i. What testing would be involved and how long would you need to keep the car?
Is the 2013 328i an electronic wastegate car is the first question? 2013 is basically a split year where it could have went either way. Testing would involve dyno pulls as well as road testing for the intercooler and big turbo stages. Car would be needed for a minimum of 2 weeks (usually like 3-4 for full comprehensive testing with environmental and endurance portions). Anything beyond those general guidelines you would need to talk to the engineering folks about as they hendle all the development car negotiations. If interested you can PM me your contact info, and VIN of the vehicle and I can send it over to the powers that be so they can reach out to you if they need a car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by willcoop View Post
Someone use Hooli when they should have used Pied Piper?

I look forward to updates. I have a 2016 328i sports wagon. I also have a Dinan intercooler sitting in my spare room waiting for stage 3 to be released.
Don't watch Silicon Valley but at least knew where the reference came from. =)

Just wanted to note that you can install the intercooler without the software if you desire. Not going to make any additional power from it without the software but you can still realize the temperature drops.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2016, 12:44 AM   #78
jrapf30
Rep

Quote:
Is the 2013 328i an electronic wastegate car is the first question? 2013 is basically a split year where it could have went either way. Testing would involve dyno pulls as well as road testing for the intercooler and big turbo stages. Car would be needed for a minimum of 2 weeks (usually like 3-4 for full comprehensive testing with environmental and endurance portions). Anything beyond those general guidelines you would need to talk to the engineering folks about as they hendle all the development car negotiations. If interested you can PM me your contact info, and VIN of the vehicle and I can send it over to the powers that be so they can reach out to you if they need a car.
N20 with electronic wastegate. Were you looking for N20's equipped with mechanical wastegates?
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2016, 01:10 AM   #79
jrapf30
Rep

Hey Dinan, I also PM'd you with my info. Let me know if you received it.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2016, 07:34 AM   #80
cncmastr
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3 Cecotto, F85, G05, G07,

Garage List
2018 X5 M  [0.00]
2020 M2 CS  [10.00]
2005 BMW X5 4.8is  [0.00]
2006 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRJ328i
Quote:
N20 with electronic wastegate. Were you looking for N20's equipped with mechanical wastegates?
Nope. Those are out for sale already, it's the EWG that hasn't been released, that's why they need more test cars.
      06-27-2016, 12:44 AM   #81
jrapf30
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cncmastr View Post
Nope. Those are out for sale already, it's the EWG that hasn't been released, that's why they need more test cars.
Ok, I thought so. Thanks for verifying.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2016, 08:45 AM   #82
Dinan_Engineering
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRJ328i View Post
Hey Dinan, I also PM'd you with my info. Let me know if you received it.
Got it. Relayed it over to engineering. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2016, 10:19 PM   #83
iron70p3
Rep
Drives: 2015 228Xi M-Sport / Dinan S3

@ Dinan- I already have the Stage 1 tune and I'm waiting to install the Dinan intercooler and big turbo (pre-ordered)... I am concerned that if I install the intercooler and turbo without a Stage 3/4 tune for my EWG the gains will be negligible or that turbo lag will increase....can you please comment? Also, have you started shipping the big turbos yet? Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2016, 11:37 PM   #84
Efthirty
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 328i Sedan

Quote:
Appreciate the patience.

I have a bone stock 328i that I just bought lol just saying. And from the Bay Area!
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2016, 09:36 AM   #85
Dinan_Engineering
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron70p3 View Post
@ Dinan- I already have the Stage 1 tune and I'm waiting to install the Dinan intercooler and big turbo (pre-ordered)... I am concerned that if I install the intercooler and turbo without a Stage 3/4 tune for my EWG the gains will be negligible or that turbo lag will increase....can you please comment? Also, have you started shipping the big turbos yet? Thank you.
Big turbos have started shipping. Just got in another batch on Monday actually. I believe we are clear of any backorders on the N20 turbos at least at this point.

You can install the big turbo and intercooler without the tuning if you like. The car would run fine. However the gains will be next to none without the associated tuning. You will also notice a bit more turbo lag with the big turbo and without the tune as well.

While I wouldn't bother installing the turbo without a tune the intercooler does hold some benefit even without the tune as its lowering temps so the car will perform better although no power will be gained.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2016, 10:30 AM   #86
optimaxed
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Big turbos have started shipping. Just got in another batch on Monday actually. I believe we are clear of any backorders on the N20 turbos at least at this point.

You can install the big turbo and intercooler without the tuning if you like. The car would run fine. However the gains will be next to none without the associated tuning. You will also notice a bit more turbo lag with the big turbo and without the tune as well.

While I wouldn't bother installing the turbo without a tune the intercooler does hold some benefit even without the tune as its lowering temps so the car will perform better although no power will be gained.
On your web site you claim 6hp for intercooler - is that with stage 3 tune ? its confusing
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2016, 12:04 PM   #87
Dinan_Engineering
United_States
Rep

Quote:
On your web site you claim 6hp for intercooler - is that with stage 3 tune ? its confusing
The 6HP / 5 TRQ numbers are the max gains for the Intercooler only with no tune.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2016, 12:08 AM   #88
nongy
Brunei
Rep
Drives: F30 320i

Quote:
Appreciate the patience.

Hey Dinan,

Noted that you said the 320i is a bad building block to build the tune off, does that mean the current stage 4 tune and big turbos are not compatible, or you are expecting something to fail with the tune, maybe due to the high compression ratios for the 320i's being 11:1 opposed to 10:1 for the 28i's. Would be great if you could provide a little more specifics... higher chances of knocking perhaps? weaker internal components?

Kher
Appreciate 0