F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > Best Bday Present Ever!
Studio RSR

01-20-2011, 02:58 PM   #23
VinnieAces
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Imola Red Z4MC

Garage List
2006 Z4 M Coupe  [8.00]
i love the Italia's interior, so sexy

Awesome gift by the way!
      01-21-2011, 01:49 AM   #24
blue2fire
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Nice. F15 E?

BMW CCA
Member #420568
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Murray View Post
Being a fan of Honda engines, I requested that they consider building for the F1 a 4.5 liter V10 or V12. I asked, I tried to persuade them, but in the end could not convince them to do it, and the McLaren F1 ended up with a BMW engine.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2011, 02:51 PM   #25
Zephyr15
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 e90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinb501 View Post
Awesome! Very curious what the price tag was for that event if you don't mind sharing...
Check out their website for pricing: http://www.exoticsracing.com/
      01-21-2011, 03:32 PM   #26
Inspired
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zephyr15 View Post
Pricing isn't too bad..~$500

But I don't understand why it would be the same price to drive a GTR compared to all the other exotics.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2011, 05:22 PM   #27
Straight6r
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 135I Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garduna View Post
How would one go about locating such an event in Canada???
Lol, I have had no luck finding something like this in our country. The event I attended was in Arizona. It was that world class driving event that travels across the U.S. Cost me about $1700 US if I remember. There was three different events to choose from and they are not held at the same time. I would like to do this one though as the cost is much lower and the cars are pretty much the same.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2011, 05:25 PM   #28
Ro_Ja Boy
Captain
Rep
Drives: Cars

I know most of the instructors out there, do you remember any of their names that you road with?
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2011, 08:24 PM   #29
Cdnrockies
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW's

Thanks guys! It was a blast and I would recommend it to all my fellow car enthusiasts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinturbo335 View Post
Pricing isn't too bad..~$500

But I don't understand why it would be the same price to drive a GTR compared to all the other exotics.
The GT-R is cheaper to drive than the exotics. It depends on how you configure your cars, but you get a slight discount the more cars you add. The Ferraris and Murci are more expensive than all the others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straight6r View Post
Lol, I have had no luck finding something like this in our country. The event I attended was in Arizona. It was that world class driving event that travels across the U.S. Cost me about $1700 US if I remember. There was three different events to choose from and they are not held at the same time. I would like to do this one though as the cost is much lower and the cars are pretty much the same.
I'm not sure how you figured that the cost was "much lower". It was only a couple hundred bucks cheaper than the one you did. Money well spent, imo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro_Ja Boy View Post
I know most of the instructors out there, do you remember any of their names that you road with?
Of course.

They were all great guys. Very knowledgeable and helpful. I worked with Dave, Paul, Brandon, Joe. My apologies to those whose names I forgot.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2011, 07:22 AM   #30
Elie335
ايلي ٣٣٥ هاهاها
St Pierre and Miquelon
Rep
Drives: Vorsteiner e92

k, seriously what does the Audi R8 V8 its not a V10 and the Porsche Carrera S either its not a gt3 RS or a 911 turbo have to do with these cars ? at least they wanna add these cars, M3 should be included.
      01-24-2011, 04:30 PM   #31
JohnSprm69
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver-Bolt View Post
The ultimate gift would have included a threesome after the track day.
haha this man knows ^^^^^^
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2011, 04:46 PM   #32
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2fire View Post
Nice. F15 E?
Yeah pretty sure that's a Strike Eagle. You can see the conformal fuel tanks on the outside of the inlet runs.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2011, 07:21 PM   #33
Turbo>NA
xbox gamertag: HuGeBluEmOnKeY
Armenia
Rep
Drives: M-Sport LCI

That cool. More insight on the GTR please.

E92 335i alpine white | black dokota | auto | zpp | zsp | heated | iPod
- ltbmw : vorsteiner : linea corsa : h&r : k&n : e92-lighting : expectalot-vinyl -
--GONE--
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2011, 01:16 PM   #34
Cdnrockies
Banned
Canada
Rep

A quick overview of the experience:

Upon arrival and check-in they take you through an introductory ground course, discussing the basics of track driving, how to use the paddles, the basic characteristics of the cars, etc.

After discussing the cars with a few of the instructors, I asked if I could take the GT-R out first. There were a couple of reasons for this. It is the easiest car to drive out of all of these, plain and simple. The technology and computer assistance in this car are utterly remarkable.

I also wanted to be able to compare all of the other cars to the Nissan, as everything suggests that performance wise it is a true competitor to supercars.

Now, the first couple of laps were more for familiarizing myself with the car. Overall, I felt very comfortable and confident right from the outset. It is a bigger car than my IS F, but still somewhat similar....just with wayyyy more power. Nissan has to be underrating the GT R according to their claims.

I found the handling to be very good....connected, precise....it did what I wanted it to, when I wanted it to. The power was shocking....I actually started to slide the ass end out in turn one surprisingly...lol. Seats were comfortable and held you in place nicely. Exhaust was a bit disappointing, but that's a quick and relatively painless after-market fix.

I have no comments on anything as far as the daily driveablity of it. The technology in the car was something we didn't touch, nor was launch control. It is an amazing track performer and an incredible bang for the buck. If I look at another performance vehicle in the near future, the GT-R will definitely get a long, hard look.

Next I wanted to drive the Murcielago. Now this car is interesting. 640 hp....$500K up here....and a ridiculous well north of 4000 lb curb weight according to the instructor. This car is simply too big and too powerful to perform like the other cars I drove.

Don't get me wrong, it's an extremely cool car, but one that will bite you in the ass in a heartbeat if you don't respect the beast you are piloting. In fact, one of the earlier drivers put it into a full spin, again in turn 1, by sliding the tail and then jumping on the brakes...lol.

The sound, even at start up, was amazing and you can feel the rumble right off the hop. Where I felt confident in the Nissan, for the first couple laps this thing was a bit scary...lol.

I learned very quickly that the transmission is a bit rough. And by rough, I mean it will jerk you back in your seat if you're not shifting at the appropriate times, especially on acceleration. The Murci likes to be pushed, and it wasn't until I figured out I had to get near red-line to shift more smoothly, that the drive became easier.

The steering was good, but it's hard to feel confident in throwing a car with this much power and weight around on your first drive. Ridiculous in a straight line with an amazing exhaust, but by no means a track wizard. The Gallardo will be a much more focused track toy according to the instructors.

Now it was on to the real show....the Ferraris.

I had actually intended on driving the Scud first and then the Italia, but ended up doing the reverse....and am glad it worked out that way.

The Italia is a gorgeous car, inside and out. It had hands down the nicest interior (as far as luxury) of all of the cars. Well laid out, cool displays, lots of tech and gadgets. Beautiful seats. Steering wheel was a little odd.

And then I started it....great exhaust and sound. This car is obviously way lighter than the Murci and a much more track ready vehicle. Once out on the track it bolted down the straight. It is also crazy fast in a straight line, very quick. Getting into turn 1 is where it got interesting.

The steering in the Italia is quite light. Too light, imho (and several of the instructors), and very different than all of the other cars. It just seemed to immediate, almost to the point of being jumpy. It took a couple laps to even get moderately comfortable, but even then, I never felt like I could push it hard like the others.

I was completely surprised that I wasn't as enamored with the 458 like I expected to be. It is an incredible car, but not one that I would likely look to if I won the lottery.

The final car that I experienced was the Ferrari F430 Scuderia.

I can't even begin to explain how much I loved this car. If I won the lottery, I would buy two of these, just so I could have one constantly on the track while the other is being prepped for it's turn.

This is basically a street legal race car. The interior is basic compared to the others, with full carbon fiber. The seats are not what I would want to sit in for a couple hundred mile highway drive. The valve covers and intakes were also carbon fiber. Had a cool steering wheel with the light tach along the top that helped with recognizing shift points.

The real love affair started at ignition. Stupidly loud....and supremely beautiful noise. So loud, that my instructor and I were essentially yelling at each other for the whole ride...lol.

The balance, steering, handling, power are all in perfect combination. It pulls with urgency, yet responds in turns and braking precisely how you expect and need it to. Having spent some time on the track already, it was nice to drive this last and push it a little harder than the others. Knowing my lines and brake points was a definite help in enjoying this car.

Did I mention how much I LOVED the Scud?

All in all, I had a fantastic day and would highly recommend it to anyone. I learned that I love to drive hard on a track.....and that it takes a great deal of skill to pilot high powered machines like these at their limits....a skill I don't possess....yet.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2011, 11:08 AM   #35
blisstik
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E92

So you'd pick the Scuderia over the Italia for a race prepped car?
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2011, 01:03 PM   #36
Cdnrockies
Banned
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blisstik View Post
So you'd pick the Scuderia over the Italia for a race prepped car?
In a heartbeat, but that's just my opinion. The Italia may be faster in a pro driver's hands, but I wasn't as impressed by it than the other cars....especially for the price. All of the instructors that I spoke with, while they respect the car, they all commented on how they didn't like the steering either.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2011, 11:11 PM   #37
Elie335
ايلي ٣٣٥ هاهاها
St Pierre and Miquelon
Rep
Drives: Vorsteiner e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdnrockies View Post
In a heartbeat, but that's just my opinion. The Italia may be faster in a pro driver's hands, but I wasn't as impressed by it than the other cars....especially for the price. All of the instructors that I spoke with, while they respect the car, they all commented on how they didn't like the steering either.
I'm with you, F430 scuderia my favorite car ever I would take it in a heartbeat too.
      01-29-2011, 11:39 PM   #38
graider
Colonel
Rep
Drives: py/kiwi e46 m3

bro, any link to this site so I can check it out when i'm down there? how much did this cost you?
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2011, 12:34 AM   #39
Cdnrockies
Banned
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zephyr15 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by graider View Post
bro, any link to this site so I can check it out when i'm down there? how much did this cost you?
More than a nice dinner....less than a new watch.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2011, 08:37 PM   #40
diehard
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e91

awwwww very nice!!!!
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2011, 10:13 PM   #41
NewYearsBoy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: IS 300

Garage List
They have good prices...

PS- I have a really cool vid on a track riding with a friend in a Scuderia.... The car is AMAZING!!! Im just surprised that the 458 doesn't have as good of a feeling...

"Speed never killed anyone its very important to get that straight, Speed has never killed a soul. Suddenly becoming stationary thats what gets people." - Jeremy Clarkson
Appreciate 0