F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > 2016+ BMW 340i/ix B58 Billet Intake - Gains up to 8 whp
Studio RSR

04-22-2016, 10:36 AM   #67
Mike@N54Tuning.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Canada
Rep

Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thus View Post
Installed mine today! Everything went relatively smoothly, but make sure you take of all the silver clips before tightening up the hose clamps. One of the silver clips is inaccessible if you're all clamped in.

The sound from the intake is a satisfying wooooOOOooSh that you can hear even with all the windows up. The sweet spot seems to be between 2k to 4k RPM at 25-40 mph. One thing that I found strange is that the sound isn't a constant tone when under throttle; it'll noticeably fluctuate in volume and tone when you're on the gas, but this is probably just engine management regulating the amount of air.

Overall, very happy with this easy little install. Good quality product, easy install, and fun noises afterwards. Happy customer so far !
Thanks for the mini review.. Glad you're enjoying it.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2016, 12:07 PM   #68
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Installed mine today! Everything went relatively smoothly, but make sure you take of all the silver clips before tightening up the hose clamps. One of the silver clips is inaccessible if you're all clamped in.

The sound from the intake is a satisfying wooooOOOooSh that you can hear even with all the windows up. The sweet spot seems to be between 2k to 4k RPM at 25-40 mph. One thing that I found strange is that the sound isn't a constant tone when under throttle; it'll noticeably fluctuate in volume and tone when you're on the gas, but this is probably just engine management regulating the amount of air.

Overall, very happy with this easy little install. Good quality product, easy install, and fun noises afterwards. Happy customer so far !
Glad to hear you are happy with the intake

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2016, 09:46 PM   #69
eveneziano90
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2021 F97 X3M ZCP Toronto Red

Mine just came in today! Putting it on tomorrow so I'll let you know how it goes.

I had one question... I wantrd to purchase a waterproof filter wrap but wasn't sure what size to go with with offerings from K&N, AEM, etc... Anyone know what size would fit this filter?

Past: F80 M3 ZCP; G01 X3; F30 M340i; F32 428i GranCoupe; E46 330xi; E36 328is
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2016, 06:18 PM   #70
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eveneziano90 View Post
Mine just came in today! Putting it on tomorrow so I'll let you know how it goes.
Congrats!!

Post pics and a sound clip once it is installed

Appreciate 0
      06-02-2016, 12:26 AM   #71
HitmanHearns
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 14' Infiniti Q50 / 16' Audi A4

I will be installing this intake tomorrow. Those who've installed it and have been driving with it on for a while, what are your post reactions?

Anybody catch a CEL yet? Is the motor running smoothly?
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2016, 06:57 AM   #72
Spikey
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: erratically

still no vids sounds clips haha but had it for a while and no CEL - running smooth and enjoying whistles
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2016, 04:28 PM   #73
HitmanHearns
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikey View Post
still no vids sounds clips haha but had it for a while and no CEL - running smooth and enjoying whistles
Ok that is great information! Thank you. I will be receiving mine today. Excited!
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2016, 12:51 AM   #74
HitmanHearns
First Lieutenant
Rep

Installed the intake, so far the sound *swoosh* is great. When I let off throttle I feel a weird vibration/sound. Hard to explain so I will drive it again tomorrow and pay better attention. I'll give it a few days to see if I will leave it on or sell it. Anyone experiencing some werid vibration/sound when letting of throttle? I left the 4 silver clips and the sponge that sits in the stock bottom filter holder in tact.

Last edited by HitmanHearns; 06-03-2016 at 01:23 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2016, 02:42 AM   #75
Spikey
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: erratically

Quote:
Originally Posted by HitmanHearns View Post
Installed the intake, so far the sound *swoosh* is great. When I let off throttle I feel a weird vibration/sound. Hard to explain so I will drive it again tomorrow and pay better attention. I'll give it a few days to see if I will leave it on or sell it. Anyone experiencing some werid vibration/sound when letting of throttle? I left the 4 silver clips and the sponge that sits in the stock bottom filter holder in tact.
yup - same sound. i don't think it's vibrations but as the foot leaves the pedal, there's a 'hollow' type of sound that is emitted?
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2016, 06:34 AM   #76
peteyfresh12
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikey
Quote:
yup - same sound. i don't think it's vibrations but as the foot leaves the pedal, there's a 'hollow' type of sound that is emitted?
I get that hollow type of sound when I'm not stepping on it. This is my first turbo car so I don't know what sound is what lol, but I still love it. With the windows closed, stepping on it, I get a good noise of the sucking in whistle and the pshhhh after letting off throttle, sounds awesome. With windows open though, same whistle sound, but this time a loud flutter noise after letting off throttle when I'm stepping on it. So yea not sure what noise is the turbo, intake, DV, or something else, but either way it all sounds cool lol
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2016, 10:42 AM   #77
HitmanHearns
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteyfresh12 View Post
I get that hollow type of sound when I'm not stepping on it. This is my first turbo car so I don't know what sound is what lol, but I still love it. With the windows closed, stepping on it, I get a good noise of the sucking in whistle and the pshhhh after letting off throttle, sounds awesome. With windows open though, same whistle sound, but this time a loud flutter noise after letting off throttle when I'm stepping on it. So yea not sure what noise is the turbo, intake, DV, or something else, but either way it all sounds cool lol
Ok so it's not only me. I want to record a video but not sure if I can catch it on tape. I think your right about it being a fluttering sound, but for some reason, it doesn't seem like it's "right." Thank you both for posting and voicing your experiences. Means a lot.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2016, 05:38 PM   #78
HitmanHearns
First Lieutenant
Rep

Here is a short 18 second clip. I do three revs. two out of three revs sound consistent and you can hear the *woosh* sound. It sounds nicer in person.

Note to self: Don't ask others to record. Sorry for the hand and crap quality. I'll try to do another one.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2016, 10:31 PM   #79
HitmanHearns
First Lieutenant
Rep

Update: I ended up taking the BMS intake off. Could not figure out the flutter sound after letting off the throttle and acceleration did not feel smooth at times.

The final straw was when I was going up my driveway when I noticed the vehicle choke for a second.

Installed the stock airbox back on the car and everything is back to normal.

What makes me sad? That the BMS intake really sounded great (like really great). I won't be selling the intake, I will actually hold on too it for now. Is it possible that these intakes might need a jb4 tune to run better?

Anyone running the BMS intake itself with no jb4?
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2016, 01:29 AM   #80
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

almost sounds like surging, or BOV (which i know it doesn't have)....
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2016, 03:10 PM   #81
Baldmonkey22
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i

Quote:
Update: I ended up taking the BMS intake off. Could not figure out the flutter sound after letting off the throttle and acceleration did not feel smooth at times.

The final straw was when I was going up my driveway when I noticed the vehicle choke for a second.

What makes me sad? That the BMS intake really sounded great (like really great). I won't be selling the intake, I will actually hold on too it for now. Is it possible that these intakes might need a jb4 tune to run better?

I have the same sound with mine, I'm sure it does the same thing with the stock intake you just can't hear it.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2016, 02:23 AM   #82
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Did you contact BMS customer support about this?

Appreciate 0
      06-08-2016, 10:51 AM   #83
HitmanHearns
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Did you contact BMS customer support about this?
Not yet. I'll go ahead and do that now. Thanks for the heads up mike!
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2016, 11:39 AM   #84
Thus
Private
Rep
Drives: 340i xDrive m perf & track pkg

Quote:
... the flutter sound after letting off the throttle ...
I have that same sound too, but I assume it's normal. If I let off the throttle I hear a loud-ish DDDDJJJJJJWOOOOOoooo fluttering sound. I like it though, and have not noticed any negative impacts on acceleration.

Last edited by Thus; 06-08-2016 at 12:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2016, 11:54 AM   #85
HitmanHearns
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
That I have that same sound too, but I assume it's normal. If I let off the throttle I hear a loud-ish DDDDJJJJJJWOOOOOoooo fluttering sound. I like it though, and have not noticed any negative impacts on acceleration.
Hi Thus,

Thanks for the feedback! The sound might be normal just like you said. I contacted BMS and I'm waiting for feedback. I will let this thread know how it went.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2016, 11:16 PM   #86
davis31b
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by HitmanHearns
Quote:
That I have that same sound too, but I assume it's normal. If I let off the throttle I hear a loud-ish DDDDJJJJJJWOOOOOoooo fluttering sound. I like it though, and have not noticed any negative impacts on acceleration.
Hi Thus,

Thanks for the feedback! The sound might be normal just like you said. I contacted BMS and I'm waiting for feedback. I will let this thread know how it went.
Any updates?
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2016, 02:03 PM   #87
Ecks
Private
Rep
Drives: 340xi MSport

*waits patiently*
      06-13-2016, 04:00 PM   #88
HitmanHearns
First Lieutenant
Rep

Hey guys,

I worked with BMS support and they were great. Got a response and help the same day. According to BMS support, the sounds that I hear are normal. Similar to what other users said, the sounds that I'm hearing are restricted by the stock air box (diverter valve, waste gate, etc).

I'm giving it another get go. I installed the intake again it over the weekend and I posted another video of me giving 3 revs right after I reinstalled it (yes I let the car idle) and you can hear the turbo sound when I let off throttle.

Another thing, since the recording of this video, not a single rev has brought that turbo sound back when letting off throttle, no clue why. anybody experience the same?

That flutter sound is still there but I guess it's parts of the car we can't hear with the stock airbox.

Last edited by HitmanHearns; 06-13-2016 at 04:15 PM..
Appreciate 0