F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > NEW RELEASE: Dinan F30 340i Exhaust
GetBMWParts

05-23-2017, 01:10 PM   #67
dereksM3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MG 340i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan_Engineering View Post
Nothing from the top down I'm afraid. Our shop 340i is out as a loaner this week for another development project so if you message me next week to remind me I can take a photo then.
Perfect, I will do that. Definitely very interested in seeing a few more pictures. Looking to combine this with the B58 Sport Tuner.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2017, 01:06 PM   #68
CJ421
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Garage List
I had the Dinan_Engineering Free Flow exhaust and High Flow midpipes installed on my 340i. My dealer did the work.
Eventually I hope to record a video. But for now here are some pictures. All pics taken when the car was cold.

I have no comparison save for the BMW Performance exhaust I had on my E92 335i N55. This Dinan setup is about as loud as that was.
I'm quite happy with the sound of this Dinan setup, it's exceptionally smooth and refined. The sound has totally transformed the car and driving experience for me, like I was hoping. Overall it's a very classic sound for a BMW inline-6.
I did a 2.5 hour highway drive yesterday. There's no drone at all; I cruise at 70-74mph, about 2.5-2.7k rpm. It sounds awesome in the cabin at all rpms, always refined. No buzzing, harsh tones, it's just a great sound. You'll think you're in a very expensive sport sedan (or maybe that should read an even more expensive sport sedan... ).
I was thinking this setup might be loud at cold start, it is, but not to the point where I feel any kind of remorse starting it up in the morning. It's not blaring and doesn't have a bark or anything.
I do like that the Dinan exhaust eliminates the flapper valve.
On downshits you do get the nice burble/backfire noises.

One thing I realize now that I have this setup is that I don't think just the Dinan mufflers would have made the overall sound appreciably louder. Even in Dinan's video, I can't tell much of a difference with just the Dinan mufflers vs. stock. The stock midpipe on the 340i has two resonators, which I think greatly restrict the sound. I would do midpipes over mufflers on this car if I had to pick one upgrade.

Originally I was going to get the MPPSK but I don't think the car needs more power yet. I will probably do the Dinan Stage 1 tune if I decide I want more power. One thing that I didn't like about the MPPSK is that it's a sunk cost, can't remove it from the car. I can remove the Dinan exhaust and tune later and put it back to stock easily.

The Dinan exhaust comes with black or polished tips, same cost. I went with the polished to contrast with my M Performance diffuser.

P.S. You can fit the entire catback exhaust of a 340i inside the cabin, in case anyone was wondering ...

Charles
Attached Images

09-12-2017, 08:13 PM   #69
phinole
Ridin' thru Atlanna
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i M Sport Dinan S1

Garage List
2017 BMW 340i  [10.00]
This is my first post. I've been a long-time member of bimmerfest.com but haven't spent much time here. That will now change!

Here is a video of a cold start with Dinan FreeFlow taken about 3 weeks ago right after I purchased the car. Attached is one photo that shows the black exhaust tip for contrast with Charles' post with the stainless tips.

Attached Images

Appreciate 2
eluded3005.00
CJ4211516.00