F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Catted turbo-back Vs catted downpipe?
Studio RSR

05-15-2021, 11:40 AM   #1
GA/\/\/\/\A_CT
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ‘20 m340ix

Catted turbo-back Vs catted downpipe?

Are there any gains to be made by using a full turbo-back system as compared to a downpipe only, both setups catted?

I see Active sells a catted downpipe and catback, and wondering about a mid-pipe.

Is there much difference for a ‘16 340xi with BM3 stage 1?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2021, 12:18 PM   #2
Logicoeur
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 335i xDrive

There is no power gained from anything behind the downpipe.
F30 335iX | Remus Axleback | Fabspeed Catted DP | VRSF Comp IC | 18X9 ET35 19lb MT1 | 255/40/18 ECS | Ohlins RT Millway Street | Millway Control Arm Bushings | Turner Endlinks | TMH 75mm 14x1.5 Studs | BMW MPerf LSD | XDelete | Pipercross Filter | MHD Stg2 93
Appreciate 3
eluded3005.00
kern4174445.00
      05-15-2021, 01:41 PM   #3
GA/\/\/\/\A_CT
Lieutenant
Rep

I have heard the same; but am looking at active’s website and they say 10-15hp for cat back??
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2021, 12:05 AM   #4
G.Newt
Major
Rep
Drives: CT4-V Blackwing 6MT

I was FBO (CG DS-1 catted DP, BMS intake, and AWE catback) but untuned. My 2 SAE dyno runs:
333hp / 375 lb-ft
344hp / 355 lb-ft

These definitely seem like slightly above stock numbers. Probably 10-25whp worth.
DAW v2.5 turbo E40 | Dorch S2 | VRSF DP | MST intake | AWE catback | 335is clutch | CSF heat exchanger | RK Autowerks intake manifold | Orange M Perf Brake Kit | KW Street Comfort coilovers | GTS taillights V2
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2021, 12:41 PM   #5
GA/\/\/\/\A_CT
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Newt View Post
I was FBO (CG DS-1 catted DP, BMS intake, and AWE catback) but untuned. My 2 SAE dyno runs:
333hp / 375 lb-ft
344hp / 355 lb-ft

These definitely seem like slightly above stock numbers. Probably 10-25whp worth.
Thanks G.Newt, you always give good info. Did you add a tune after? Any idea how much extra with the tune plus all your FBO compared to an otherwise standard tuned car?
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2021, 12:50 PM   #6
Juice247
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '17 BMW 440xi Gran Coupe

The stock exhaust is not very restrictive, but it's more restrictive than aftermarket pipes. The stock intake is not very restrictive, but it's more restrictive than aftermarket intakes. When people say they make no difference I don't know where they get that information. Whether you believe 10-15hp to be significant or not doesn't mean it's nothing. Also as you do more upgrades, the increased airflow only bolsters those gains. Whether you do it for the power, the sound, or both, there are changes that come along with revised intake and exhaust. They are not as significant as changing the cat, but they are still there.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2021, 01:41 AM   #7
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logicoeur View Post
There is no power gained from anything behind the downpipe.
^^^^ this
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2021, 06:47 AM   #8
Logicoeur
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 335i xDrive

Quote:
333hp / 375 lb-ft
344hp / 355 lb-ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA/\/\/\/\A_CT View Post
I have heard the same; but am looking at active's website and they say 10-15hp for cat back??
Marketing speak

Quote:
333hp / 375 lb-ft
344hp / 355 lb-ft

This delta was before and after what mod?
F30 335iX | Remus Axleback | Fabspeed Catted DP | VRSF Comp IC | 18X9 ET35 19lb MT1 | 255/40/18 ECS | Ohlins RT Millway Street | Millway Control Arm Bushings | Turner Endlinks | TMH 75mm 14x1.5 Studs | BMW MPerf LSD | XDelete | Pipercross Filter | MHD Stg2 93
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2021, 08:40 AM   #9
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

You get more power with the correct catback but it's not worth it for the price.

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2021, 01:29 AM   #10
G.Newt
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA/\/\/\/\A_CT View Post
Thanks G.Newt, you always give good info. Did you add a tune after? Any idea how much extra with the tune plus all your FBO compared to an otherwise standard tuned car?
Check my signature. I basically gained 100whp and 150 lb-ft from a tune alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logicoeur View Post
Marketing speak

This delta was before and after what mod?
I didn't get a chance to dyno it before I was FBO. I agree that almost ALL of the gains are from the downpipe (and probably only 10-20whp MAX). The intake and exhaust gains are negligible.

I'm going to re-dyno on the same one I used for my untuned FBO run, now that I have my TU pump installed for the Stage 2+ E30 map. My Mustang dyno was a different one although they used the same SAE standard (And Mustang dynos read lower than dynojet), it's not the exact same dyno. And that's really the only/best way to get true deltas. Stay posted boys.
DAW v2.5 turbo E40 | Dorch S2 | VRSF DP | MST intake | AWE catback | 335is clutch | CSF heat exchanger | RK Autowerks intake manifold | Orange M Perf Brake Kit | KW Street Comfort coilovers | GTS taillights V2
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2021, 03:41 AM   #11
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
You get more power with the correct catback but it's not worth it for the price.
That is the most accurate answer here so far.

The exhaust system is called a "system" for a reason. The downpipe is by far the most restrictive component in the system so you gain most by making changes there. This however does not mean you would not gain anything by changes elsewhere in the system. The resistance (a.k.a. back-pressure) of the exhaust system is a property of the entire system, not a single component.

Changes downstream from the DP bring limited power gains and therefore have a low value-for-money ratio when it comes to power. They do however have a high-value-for-money ratio in terms of sound A less-restrictive cat-back exhaust is also advantageous for the turbo.

Example: There is a reason why the MPPSK cat-back exhaust has larger diameter than the stock. If the design-goal was just better sound, there would have been no need for that.
      05-18-2021, 02:13 PM   #12
G.Newt
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyhigh View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
That is the most accurate answer here so far.

The exhaust system is called a "system" for a reason. The downpipe is by far the most restrictive component in the system so you gain most by making changes there. This however does not mean you would not gain anything by changes elsewhere in the system. The resistance (a.k.a. back-pressure) of the exhaust system is a property of the entire system, not a single component.

Changes downstream from the DP bring limited power gains and therefore have a low value-for-money ratio when it comes to power. They do however have a high-value-for-money ratio in terms of sound A less-restrictive cat-back exhaust is also advantageous for the turbo.

Example: There is a reason why the MPPSK cat-back exhaust has larger diameter than the stock. If the design-goal was just better sound, there would have been no need for that.
I was with you until your example. MHD, BM3, MG, etc., offer Stage 1 maps intended for completely stock hardware that pushes more power than MPPSK. Let's just face it: that's marketing BS so they can sell you a $3k (at the time of release) OEM upgrade. Not saying it's not a nice combo when paired together. But the tune doesn't need the exhaust.

Last edited by G.Newt; 05-18-2021 at 08:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2021, 02:42 PM   #13
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW F36

Quote:
I was with you until your example. MHD, BM3, MG, etc., offer Stage 1 maps intended for completely stock hardware that pushes more power then MPPSK. Let's just face it: that's marketing BS so they can sell you a $3k (at the time of release) OEM upgrade. Not saying it's not a nice combo when paired together. But the tune doesn't need the exhaust.
You either misunderstood or chose to I never said any tune needs an exhaust.

I don't need proper clothing for jogging and I can run just fine with jeans and shirt on, but it is so much more comfortable (and healthy!) to do so in sport clothes!

A sport-cat without any tune (stock SW) brings a noticeable power increase. What does that tell you? Does that mean that the stock software needs a sport cat? No it doesn't, the same way a Stage 1, and even a Stage 2 for that matter does not need it. It means however that there is an extra gain for having it. Same for a cat-back exhaust, just on a much lower scale.

Hope it's more clear now.
It is not just marketing. In reality BMW don't even advertise with the fact that the MPPSK exhaust is larger. It is a purely engineering decision and a very good one.
You certainly don't need it, but unlike the red Start-Stop button - it actually does something for you if you have it.

Last edited by Skyhigh; 05-18-2021 at 02:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2021, 05:45 PM   #14
Juice247
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '17 BMW 440xi Gran Coupe

Quote:
I was with you until your example. MHD, BM3, MG, etc., offer Stage 1 maps intended for completely stock hardware that pushes more power then MPPSK. Let's just face it: that's marketing BS so they can sell you a $3k (at the time of release) OEM upgrade. Not saying it's not a nice combo when paired together. But the tune doesn't need the exhaust.
It's MPPSK. M Performance Power and Sound. It provides power with the tune and sound with the exhaust.

Sound is every bit as much of the experience. Adding a wing and a carbon fiber diffuser is a complete waste of money if all you care about is performance. Give me the power, yes, but in the dying age of ICE engines PLEASE GIVE ME THE SOUND TOO!!!!