F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > MK8 Golf GTI
Studio RSR

12-01-2020, 06:45 PM   #45
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

I'll be honest I'm not really a fan of the Mk 8 at all. Ugly front, touch screen and no buttons and apparently cheaper quality plastics inside.

Having said that, early reports are the GTI does drive even better than the 7.5. No reviews on the above Mk 8 Clubsport or R as yet.

I'll be holding on to my old 7.5 for quite some time yet. Brilliant fun little car and puts a smile on my face every time I drive it.
Attached Images

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 2
isleaiw18769.50
JustChris17487.50
      12-02-2020, 04:24 AM   #46
DaveA
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M135i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopper99 View Post
This model sits between the GTI and R is now called the Clubsport and it replaces the 7.5 TCR. Its 296bhp and will retail at £37,215

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/n...assis-upgrades
Thanks.. I could not remember off the top of my head what they were going to call it... I keep thinking "TCR"...

If that render is close, then the slightly more aggressive styling helps it a little, doesn't it.... Guess the options list will be the thing to check out...

... but, still, those wheels...
CAR HISTORY - Golf GTI 245 - F30 340i M Sport - F30 330d M Sport MPPK - F30 320d Sport - 997 Gen2 GT3 - 987 Cayman S - 986 Boxster S - Ibiza Cupra - Polo 16v - E30 M3 (Official GB import) - Integra 16v - Mk2 Polo S - Mk1 Golf C

Last edited by DaveA; 12-02-2020 at 05:05 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2020, 08:29 AM   #47
Cootie
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335d Xdrive with ACS Springs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveA View Post

... but, still, those wheels...
Only thing you can say is that they’re better than the 18” ones...
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2020, 08:50 AM   #48
DaveA
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cootie View Post
Only thing you can say is that they’re better than the 18” ones...
If you say so....
CAR HISTORY - Golf GTI 245 - F30 340i M Sport - F30 330d M Sport MPPK - F30 320d Sport - 997 Gen2 GT3 - 987 Cayman S - 986 Boxster S - Ibiza Cupra - Polo 16v - E30 M3 (Official GB import) - Integra 16v - Mk2 Polo S - Mk1 Golf C
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2020, 02:46 AM   #49
Cootie
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveA View Post
If you say so....
I didn’t say by much 😅. To coin a good old Scottish phrase those 18” wheels are ‘pure bogging’
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2020, 10:32 AM   #50
npr
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: volvo s40,'16 320i,17 Golf GTi

Hi, I have a mk7.5 230 Gti and completely echo DaveA's comment to take one on an extended test drive if you are thinking of buying a Golf. I find the road noise intolerable and if totally spoils the car for me.
I very much regret trading in my F30 320i just before lockdown for this. Golf is ok in town, which thankfully has been where I've driven it. Once out of town the road noise, when not smooth surfaces, takes away any enjoyment of driving for me. I realise I am in the minority as others on here like their golfs, but kick myself every time I drive it that I didn't take it for a long test drive.

My car went in for end of warranty check last week and re the road noise they said it was mechanically sound, just tyre noise. I'm probably inclined to agree as I had a mk7.5 golf 1.5 tsi with 16" tyres and still pretty noisy. Mine seems like more noise coming from rear. I now have to decide if I spend money to try and soundproof it or just get rid. It has 18" wheels with ps4 tyres with some life in them. 2nd hand cars quite in demand currently and not having to travel far with lockdown so may wait.

Have others that have/have had Golf's soundproofed their boots/under seats? Have any of you found quieter tyres?

There are good aspects to the car, v nice gearbox(manual), seats have lumbar support, easier to park, lights are v good, heated seats, front pdc. However there are other things that I do prefer in the bmw. Vw paintwork chips v easily, and i like how on the bmw you can choose cold air through vents if the rest of the car is warm, how engine sounded better too.

If I could make if quiet j could enjoy it for a few years before I come back and get another 3 series.

I saw a new mk8 in showroom, prefer the mk7. Don't like the digital dash with no buttons. £35K for GTE. Crazy money.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2020, 11:57 AM   #51
TodmordenLad
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi A4 Avant

Quote:
Originally Posted by npr View Post
Hi, I have a mk7.5 230 Gti and completely echo DaveA's comment to take one on an extended test drive if you are thinking of buying a Golf. I find the road noise intolerable and if totally spoils the car for me.
I very much regret trading in my F30 320i just before lockdown for this. Golf is ok in town, which thankfully has been where I've driven it. Once out of town the road noise, when not smooth surfaces, takes away any enjoyment of driving for me. I realise I am in the minority as others on here like their golfs, but kick myself every time I drive it that I didn't take it for a long test drive.

My car went in for end of warranty check last week and re the road noise they said it was mechanically sound, just tyre noise. I'm probably inclined to agree as I had a mk7.5 golf 1.5 tsi with 16" tyres and still pretty noisy. Mine seems like more noise coming from rear. I now have to decide if I spend money to try and soundproof it or just get rid. It has 18" wheels with ps4 tyres with some life in them. 2nd hand cars quite in demand currently and not having to travel far with lockdown so may wait.

Have others that have/have had Golf's soundproofed their boots/under seats? Have any of you found quieter tyres?

There are good aspects to the car, v nice gearbox(manual), seats have lumbar support, easier to park, lights are v good, heated seats, front pdc. However there are other things that I do prefer in the bmw. Vw paintwork chips v easily, and i like how on the bmw you can choose cold air through vents if the rest of the car is warm, how engine sounded better too.

If I could make if quiet j could enjoy it for a few years before I come back and get another 3 series.

I saw a new mk8 in showroom, prefer the mk7. Don't like the digital dash with no buttons. £35K for GTE. Crazy money.
Hello npr,
I am intrigued by your comments about road noise.
I don't have a GTi but a Mk7.5 GT TDi (which I bought after thieves broke into my house, looking to pinch my 440i, and I was after something functional which i wouldnt get attached to!?). My Golf is one of the quietest cars I've owned in years, particularly at speed. Previous 2 cars were a 4 and a 3 series, both on rft's and v poorly soundproofed. The tyres on the Golf are Hankook 225/45/17, which I don't believe are the quietest. Goodyear make some pretty quiet tyres, well worth researching.
      12-05-2020, 12:24 PM   #52
Broncho
Banned
England
Rep
Drives: Chav white Mercedes

Quote:
Originally Posted by TodmordenLad View Post
Quote:

Hello npr,
I am intrigued by your comments about road noise.
I don't have a GTi but a Mk7.5 GT TDi (which I bought after thieves broke into my house, looking to pinch my 440i, and I was after something functional which i wouldnt get attached to!?). My Golf is one of the quietest cars I've owned in years, particularly at speed. Previous 2 cars were a 4 and a 3 series, both on rft's and v poorly soundproofed. The tyres on the Golf are Hankook 225/45/17, which I don't believe are the quietest. Goodyear make some pretty quiet tyres, well worth researching.
I've driven 20+ MK7 Golfs and I agree they're a quiet and pretty well refined car, probably one of its finest qualities.

The best all round car money can buy IMO.
Appreciate 2
dopper993531.00
      12-05-2020, 12:48 PM   #53
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncho View Post
I've driven 20+ MK7 Golfs and I agree they're a quiet and pretty well refined car, probably one of its finest qualities.

Glad others are saying that as I don’t remember that my 2014 GTi PP suffered from road noise. Was beginning to think I was being too rose tinted!
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2020, 12:58 PM   #54
Broncho
Banned
England
Rep
Drives: Chav white Mercedes

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleaiw1 View Post
Quote:

Glad others are saying that as I don't remember that my 2014 GTi PP suffered from road noise. Was beginning to think I was being too rose tinted!
Admittedly I only ever drive them in Spain but they are a fantastic car imo and no doubt once people get over the new MK8s looks etc they will be held in as high a regard as the MK7.

It's VW's bread and butter.
Appreciate 1
isleaiw18769.50
      12-05-2020, 02:52 PM   #55
Cootie
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Only bugbear of mine sound-wise in the 7/7.5 was the SoundAktor - bugged me that on a cruise and with part throttle the ‘engine noise’ was pronounced. Made a big difference getting it unplugged. Otherwise, never found tyre noise to be an issue (on 18s).
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2020, 03:08 PM   #56
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Admittedly I only ever drive them in Spain but they are a fantastic car imo and no doubt once people get over the new MK8s looks etc they will be held in as high a regard as the MK7.

It's VW's bread and butter.
Whisper it, but I could live with the mk8 club sport above....
Appreciate 1
Broncho2311.00
      12-05-2020, 05:29 PM   #57
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep

@npr dont have any noise road issues in mine. My old F30 was quite noisy IMO. Both on 19's.

I have Continentals 5's on mine, factory standard fit.

Maybe you need to change your tyres. What have you fitted?

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2020, 05:30 PM   #58
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cootie View Post
Only bugbear of mine sound-wise in the 7/7.5 was the SoundAktor - bugged me that on a cruise and with part throttle the ‘engine noise’ was pronounced. Made a big difference getting it unplugged. Otherwise, never found tyre noise to be an issue (on 18s).
Yes that Soundaktor isnt great and I disabled mine with the odb11 App/dongle, along with auto stop/start and a few other bits.

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2020, 06:07 PM   #59
npr
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: volvo s40,'16 320i,17 Golf GTi

Maybe it's just me! But on rough/concrete sections e.g m25 can't hear radio, sat nav or kids speaking properly.

I have michelin ps4 tyres on 18" 4.5 to 5mm tread left. My bmw was on 17" rft and never noticed road noise. Actually only cars I've ever really complained about in terms of road noise are mini countryman (my son reckoned that was like being on a plane)and Ford focus (not too bad but not great).

I had a golf for week in canaries few years ago and one for 10 days in Madeira last year and really liked them. Must be partly to do with poor roads here. As I say on smooth surfaces it is fine.

Another affect of covid is I haven't test driven or rented any cars since feb, need to do that once things are back to normal then I might appreciate my golf more.
Perhaps new tyres and some soundproofing will help. Evo 2019 tyre test rated conti premium contact 6 best for NVH on golf gti 18" inside cabin so may try them next although db much higher than say the Dunlop max x rt2 (external noise).
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2020, 02:24 AM   #60
Panchoa
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 330d M Sport

Quote:

I test drove a 7.5 GTI a few months ago and echo your comments, the road noise was a complete killer for me....! Car just felt so unrefined and I’m not sure if it was the car or me as it seems others don’t think there is an issue with golfs
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2020, 02:40 AM   #61
davyk31
Major General
Rep
Drives: Macan GTS :-) & F40 M135i

I had a Mk7.5 GTI on 19” wheels for 2 years, most driving being fast A roads and would never say the road noise bothered me at all.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2020, 03:41 AM   #62
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Maybe it's just me! But on rough/concrete sections e.g m25 can't hear radio, sat nav or kids speaking properly.

I have michelin ps4 tyres on 18" 4.5 to 5mm tread left. My bmw was on 17" rft and never noticed road noise. Actually only cars I've ever really complained about in terms of road noise are mini countryman (my son reckoned that was like being on a plane)and Ford focus (not too bad but not great).

I had a golf for week in canaries few years ago and one for 10 days in Madeira last year and really liked them. Must be partly to do with poor roads here. As I say on smooth surfaces it is fine.

Another affect of covid is I haven't test driven or rented any cars since feb, need to do that once things are back to normal then I might appreciate my golf more.
Perhaps new tyres and some soundproofing will help. Evo 2019 tyre test rated conti premium contact 6 best for NVH on golf gti 18" inside cabin so may try them next although db much higher than say the Dunlop max x rt2 (external noise).
The concrete stretch of the m25 is a killer in most cars. My SQ5 was very refined and quiet except on that surface which was AWFUL...
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2020, 05:12 PM   #63
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep

The worst road noise I've experienced is in the F80 M3 Comp. I'm not sure if the 20" wheels had something to do with it as not been in one with 19's.
Near deafening and not at all refined, but then its not meant to be in an M3. I'd swear it was that loud at times it would leave my ears ringing.

@npr this is worth a read. It maybe your car or tyres have an issue......

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index...zzling.367639/

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 1
JustChris17487.50
      12-07-2020, 06:20 AM   #64
DaveA
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

As a 245 GTI owner, my experiences of the "noise" (I assume people mean, as I do, the sound of travelling across road surfaces and the amount of noise that generates is allowed into the cabin and heard/felt by occupants) thing are:

1) In my limited experience, GTI's seem more "noisy" than other Golfs inside when it comes to the amount of road noise etc that comes into the cabin... This may/may not be related to which wheel/tyre combo you have on your GTI... but is also likely related to the suspension set up, bushes, and level of general "insulation" that VW build into the car to keep out road noise...

This road noise is considered, by some, great as it helps them feel more "connected", and awful by others who feel it could be more refined in that respect...

2) I test drove an M135i the other month and it was immediately apparent that BMW seemed to reduce this sort of road noise more than VW do in my Golf... Things like the different noises generated by different road surfaces and the sound of the car going over pot holes etc seemed somehow more distant...

Personally, I am not so much bothered by the "road noise" element... I have never felt it bad enough to feel like it should be more controlled...

The Golf is undoubtedly a great car and there are many aspects of mine that I really like... But it is a different car to some of the cars people drive in this forum and if they were to swap to a Golf GTI they would notice some significant differences... Whether or not they like those differences, or could live with them, is purely personal...

I refer to my earlier post and reiterate that any BMW regular looking at a Golf would do well to have an extended drive in the model of their choice.. preferably on the wheels of their choice..

Like Bimmerpost, there are some good Golf forums... The UK GTI one is pretty good, I find...
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2020, 06:21 AM   #65
DaveA
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

As an aside, I note that both the "R" and the "Clubsport" have now shown up on the configurator of VW's UK website...

The Clubsport looks a tempting package, price-wise... with prices including a few options still dipping under the £40k mark...
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2020, 07:37 AM   #66
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 911, Cayenne Turbo, Disco 4

I've never really been through a Golf phase before, so have had no interest whatsoever in having one, GTI, R or otherwise, however... Just read the review on the new Golf R this morning, and thought it looked great, and sounded like a good all rounder. It seems a little bit more desirable than the M135i to my eyes, and I could see place for it in my little fleet!

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review...-r-2021-review
Current: Porsche 911 991 C4S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo, Land Rover Discovery 4. Gone...G01 X3 M40i, Cayman S 987, F31 340i, Cayman GT4, F82 M4 CP, Lotus Exige V6, G20 330e, F30 330e, Boxster S 987, F31 335d, Mini Cooper SD, E89 Z4, E90 330d 320d, E60 520d, E46 330d 320d, MX5s, E30 325i
Appreciate 0