F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > M performance
Extreme Powerhouse

11-30-2020, 11:36 PM   #23
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wires View Post
I wouldn't spend the extra on the MPPK kit (IE M performance II). BM3, MHD, etc will net you more power for the money, and you can get aftermarket cat-back exhaust of you are looking for the sound. Love my Active Autowerke catback. Great under load, quiet at cruise.
The above is very misleading and a very common misunderstanding.

First of all it is not MPPK (which was a completely different kit for the 35i), it is called MPPSK.

The letter S is the key. Since the pack does not only contain a tune, but also a state of the art, valved, higher diameter, cat-back (!) exhaust system AND on top of it does not invalidate the factory warranty, comparing it to MHD, BM, etc. and saying they are cheaper and better alternatives is like comparing bananas to apples! The only true statement you can make is that if one is after maximum power gain and does not care about the warranty or exhaust (which one really should, as it is fantastic), there are cheaper and higher-gain options on the market.

So please, people, stop comparing MPPSK (a pack of software, hardware and warranty) to simply third-party software tunes! Both have their pros and cons but they are just not directly comparable!! And stop calling it expensive, as that is not entirely true either - Alone for a comparable exhaust, one would pay up to 2000+ USD (e.g. Akrapovic, Remus).
MPPSK is pricey, but not expensive, considering all you get for the money. And you rarely see a product, which has what appears to be 99,9% customer satisfaction...

Last edited by Skyhigh; 12-01-2020 at 05:22 AM..
Appreciate 1
mecheng771006.00
      12-01-2020, 07:55 AM   #24
Desertnate
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i

Garage List
2016 BMW 435i  [0.00]
I couldn't tell from the screen shots whether the OP is looking at a N55 or B58 vehicle.

With the MPPK which came with my N55 equipped car, it not only has all the things you mention, but there is an upgraded intake too. Not sure it really adds all that much performance, but it is an additional part to the kit you didn't mention.

Does the MPPSK for the B58 include the intake as well as the other bits already mentioned?

After all that we can't forget the different engine cover too! Very important! Not really...just a joke...
      12-01-2020, 09:08 AM   #25
Th3Walrus
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC Alpine White/Sahkir

Hey mecheng77 back in Sept I picked up my 2017 340i. It has the M Sport package (front lip splitter, rear spoiler), M performance I and M performance II packages. Now that I have it, I wouldn't want it any other way. I see you are looking in the Toronto area, I'm in Kitchener-Waterloo area and found mine up the street at BMW Grand River.
Appreciate 1
mecheng771006.00
      12-01-2020, 09:13 AM   #26
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

Desertnate
The Vin visible in one of the screenshots is for a 340iX, so B58...

Unfortunately your understanding is also wrong
- The MPPK for N55 includes a modified air intake + tune. That's it.
- You could also have the MPE in addition (as far as I know not included in the MPPK) which is just an axle-back exhaust (also available as an option for B58).
- MPPSK does not include any changes to the intake, however a cat-back, valved, higher diameter exhaust system, which effectively becomes a straight-pipe in Sport-mode! Such an option never existed for N55.

So no, neither is MPPK equal to MPPSK, nor is MPPK + MPE equalt to MPPSK.
MPPK, MPE and MPPSK are 3 different products. The last 2 are available optionally for the B58. The first two - for N55.
CajunBMW1288.50
      12-01-2020, 09:30 AM   #27
BWbimmer
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW F36, E36, E93

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mecheng77 View Post
I'm assuming when the adaptive dampers eventually wear out they will cost an arm and leg? I wonder how the computer would react to non adaptive dampers in the future let's say if you put on some quality aftermarket units
Just check your prices on 37116874519, 37116874520, 37126874514

You can plug in an EDC simulatior. KW and Bilstein sells them

Last edited by BWbimmer; 12-01-2020 at 09:52 AM..
Appreciate 1
mecheng771006.00
      12-01-2020, 09:57 AM   #28
Desertnate
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i

Garage List
2016 BMW 435i  [0.00]
All the VIN decoders are blocked on the network I'm currently using, so I wasn't able to run them and see exactly what engine we're talking about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyhigh View Post
Unfortunately your understanding is also wrong
- The MPPK for N55 includes a modified air intake + tune. That's it.
- You could also have the MPE in addition (as far as I know not included in the MPPK) which is just an axle-back exhaust (also available as an option for B58).
Thanks for getting me straight.

My car has the MPE along with the MPPK. I have all the documentation for the car to include the paperwork from the port where the MPPK was installed and very detailed service records from the dealership prior to my ownership and there is no mention of the exhaust anywhere. This lead me to think the exhaust was part of the package. Now I wonder where it came from...

Carry on... I'm obviously missing something...
      12-01-2020, 10:03 AM   #29
BWbimmer
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW F36, E36, E93

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
All the VIN decoders are blocked on the network I'm currently using, so I wasn't able to run them and see exactly what engine we're talking about.

Thanks for getting me straight.

My car has the MPE along with the MPPK. I have all the documentation for the car to include the paperwork from the port where the MPPK was installed and very detailed service records from the dealership prior to my ownership and there is no mention of the exhaust anywhere. This lead me to think the exhaust was part of the package. Now I wonder where it came from...

Carry on... I'm obviously missing something...
realoem.com :-)
mecheng771006.00
      12-01-2020, 07:27 PM   #30
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

Quote:

First of all it is not MPPK (which was a completely different kit for the 35i), it is called MPPSK.

The letter S is the key. Since the pack does not only contain a tune, but also a state of the art, valved, higher diameter, cat-back (!) exhaust system AND on top of it does not invalidate the factory warranty, comparing it to MHD, BM, etc. and saying they are cheaper and better alternatives is like comparing bananas to apples! The only true statement you can make is that if one is after maximum power gain and does not care about the warranty or exhaust (which one really should, as it is fantastic), there are cheaper and higher-gain options on the market.

So please, people, stop comparing MPPSK (a pack of software, hardware and warranty) to simply third-party software tunes! Both have their pros and cons but they are just not directly comparable!! And stop calling it expensive, as that is not entirely true either - Alone for a comparable exhaust, one would pay up to 2000+ USD (e.g. Akrapovic, Remus).
MPPSK is pricey, but not expensive, considering all you get for the money. And you rarely see a product, which has what appears to be 99,9% customer satisfaction...
Sorry. Missed the "S". I see your point, but I wouldn't call it "state of the art". It's just a full back exhaust with bypass valves to bypass the muffler. That sh*t has been done since the dawn of times on muscle cars.

And a 99.9% customer satisfaction rate? Really? So amazing that it's a giant PITA to find on the lot? Or is it just the 6 people in the planet are 99.9% happy? Not going to lie... if you are buying a $2000 USD muffler setup for noise and basically no power, you just have money to burn. But again, to each their own.

Everything is relative, and my point is you can do alternatives to the M performance II package post-purchase. I personally wouldn't travel the world trying to get the car with it factory installed after seeing how much more I can get from the aftermarket side for much less. And yes... there is no warranty, and no, I really don't care. I pay to play.
Appreciate 2
      12-01-2020, 10:51 PM   #31
CajunBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i and X1, Chrysler Van

Quote:
Quote:

Sorry. Missed the "S". I see your point, but I wouldn't call it "state of the art". It's just a full back exhaust with bypass valves to bypass the muffler. That sh*t has been done since the dawn of times on muscle cars.

And a 99.9% customer satisfaction rate? Really? So amazing that it's a giant PITA to find on the lot? Or is it just the 6 people in the planet are 99.9% happy? Not going to lie... if you are buying a $2000 USD muffler setup for noise and basically no power, you just have money to burn. But again, to each their own.

Everything is relative, and my point is you can do alternatives to the M performance II package post-purchase. I personally wouldn't travel the world trying to get the car with it factory installed after seeing how much more I can get from the aftermarket side for much less. And yes... there is no warranty, and no, I really don't care. I pay to play.
It does add HP and torque. It adds a bit more than 10% in both cases. 35 HP and 39 ft/lbs of torque. Obviously some systems and mods have more and each is a matter of preference. But the MPPSK is completely covered by a good BMW warranty and doesnt void your existing warranty. That for me was important as my car is my DD and I put it on early during my warranty period. As will all choices there are trade offs, but for me the above mentioned things worked for me. I have no complaints. Just my two cents worth...

Cheers,

Edit: I just wanted to clarify — so with the bmw mppsk added to my car my car, it now has 355 HP and 369 ft/lbs of torque. I dont know if you call it stock, but it is a bmw warrantied stock-like 340 with those values.
Appreciate 1
mecheng771006.00
      12-02-2020, 01:37 AM   #32
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

It is apparent that you have 0 idea what you are talking about (when it comes to MPPSK) I will leave it to that.

If the op is interested to find out more about it, I recommend reading the 51 pages long (obviously those "6 people in the planet" write a lot), dedicated and pinned (for a reason) thread about MPPSK in the B58 section and/or ask people who actually have experience with it.

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1304356

Last edited by Skyhigh; 12-02-2020 at 07:16 AM..
Appreciate 1
CajunBMW1288.50
      12-02-2020, 05:20 AM   #33
MeanPills
Registered
Saudi Arabia
Rep
Drives: Bmw 435i

my 435i is 335 hp stock because it has M performance power kit. i suggest u go for it.
Appreciate 1
mecheng771006.00
      12-02-2020, 07:58 AM   #34
CajunBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i and X1, Chrysler Van

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeanPills View Post
my 435i is 335 hp stock because it has M performance power kit. i suggest u go for it.
Remember the OP's car if I followed the thread is a 340 so it would be able to use the mppsk if the OP wanted a bmw warranty and a new stock like car with 355 HP and 369 ft/lbs of torque (I believe 500 N/m). That is an addition of 35 HP and 39 ft/lbs or 50 N/m of torque. Again as I pointed out above, this is just one option, but it is fully approved by BMW and includes exhaust and tune. It is the warranty and ease of addition at my BMW dealership that sold me. Plus I got a good deal during a sale. I wanted my DD to be a little more fun, but to remain under warranty and to be civilized when needed when I haul kids and travel around the region for sports Tournaments.
Appreciate 1
mecheng771006.00
      12-02-2020, 09:58 AM   #35
mecheng77
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i / 2014 M235i

Garage List
  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Th3Walrus View Post
Hey mecheng77 back in Sept I picked up my 2017 340i. It has the M Sport package (front lip splitter, rear spoiler), M performance I and M performance II packages. Now that I have it, I wouldn't want it any other way. I see you are looking in the Toronto area, I'm in Kitchener-Waterloo area and found mine up the street at BMW Grand River.
Quote:

Do you mind me asking what approx did you pay? I noticed many 2017 for sale on the Bmw site but not 2016.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2020, 04:28 PM   #36
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

Quote:
It is apparent that you have 0 idea what you are talking about (when it comes to MPPSK) I will leave it to that.

If the op is interested to find out more about it, I recommend reading the 51 pages long (obviously those "6 people in the planet" write a lot), dedicated and pinned (for a reason) thread about MPPSK in the B58 section and/or ask people who actually have experience with it.

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1304356
Fully understand what the MPPSK is: a light flash tune + full back exhaust with dump valves. I was excited when BMW announced it when I bought my 340, but after seeing the r*pe charge in Canada, didn't spend the money on it. At the end of the day other flash tunes will net you A LOT more power than the MPPSK tune, BUT you don't get warranty.

Like I said, you need to pay to play if you go the other route, and I still stand behind my point of it's not really worth travelling the world to get that showroom installed. OP, if you really want the MPPSK (aka M perf II), it's an over the counter add-on at the parts counter. They need to flash it at the dealership though -- it isn't DIY.
Appreciate 2
      12-04-2020, 06:12 AM   #37
Th3Walrus
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC Alpine White/Sahkir

mecheng77

2017 6MT with only 39,000kms. Has every option possible except for the bigger M Sport brakes. Paid $44,000. Might have been a little much, but I beat them up an extra $2000 on my trade in.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2020, 12:25 AM   #38
mecheng77
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i / 2014 M235i

Garage List
  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
mecheng77

2017 6MT with only 39,000kms. Has every option possible except for the bigger M Sport brakes. Paid $44,000. Might have been a little much, but I beat them up an extra $2000 on my trade in.
Quote:
mecheng77

Sounds about right for the mileage, the cars with that package are commanding upper 30s to start and then up from there when the mileage goes down. Enjoy!
Appreciate 0