F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > CTS Turbo CP Issue!
Studio RSR

02-26-2020, 05:28 AM   #23
Tpriest7893
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw 335i f30 N55 ( sold)

Garage List
  [0.00]
2012 bmw 335  [0.00]
02 2002 m3 Vert  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostedCoupe View Post
Thanks for the help guys. So last night as I stated I put the factory O-Ring on and I disconnected the charge pipe on the throttle body to make sure it seated on the intercooler very tightly. I took my time to make sure everything fit tightly and the clip was set properly. Still got the error code.

Perhaps CTS has some tolerance issues in their manufacturing? Therefore I am going to look for an alternative. BMS, ER or VRSF?
I have Bms.. no issues. Have vrsf intercooler as well.
Stock intake(had open before and was sick of noise)
BMS CP
550i 351m rims with 275/245 set up.
No tune as of yet.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2020, 05:09 PM   #24
OEM+Alpine
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 335i M-Sport AP/CR

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaredG_F30 View Post
I'm not sure what you mean. I don't have a picture if that is what you are asking.

Check this video at 14:50. You can see the chamfer just before the o-ring groove. Put a bead of gasket maker there.

Video

RTV Gasket Maker
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002UEN1A..._.QzvEbH9AA6MB

Quote:
Thanks so you have an example of this?
Thanks again for this - did you install the RTV during this install? I didn't see it in the video thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2020, 10:21 PM   #25
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Quote:
Thanks again for this - did you install the RTV during this install? I didn't see it in the video thanks!
IMO you should get a Oring to solve the problem before resorting to RTV. When i considered the RTV options, i was worried about some coming off and eventually making its way into the engine. Probably would be harmless, but i just couldnt bring myself to do it, because then i would be constantly thinking about it.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 03:35 AM   #26
OEM+Alpine
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeremyman9 View Post
Quote:
IMO you should get a Oring to solve the problem before resorting to RTV. When i considered the RTV options, i was worried about some coming off and eventually making its way into the engine. Probably would be harmless, but i just couldnt bring myself to do it, because then i would be constantly thinking about it.
Fair point, BMW o ring or oversized?
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 07:55 AM   #27
JaredG_F30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i, M-Sport, Manual

Sorry I did not have it on video. I dicked around with the CP to IC connection for some time and wasn't recording until I got it figured out.

Quote:
Using RTV is standard practice in gasketing applications. It's used when changing your valve cover gasket and oil pan gasket for example. The key is not to use too much and let it fully cure before running the car.

Quote:

2014 F30 335i, M-Sport, 6MT, V804s, custom exhaust, CTS Turbo Intake & IC, FTP CP, VRSF DP, TMS Strut Brace, BM3 Stg 2, AEM WMI, H&R Sport Springs (381 whp, 429 wtq on Cali 91oct before WMI).
SPI Films Blog/DIY Vids
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 08:08 AM   #28
XxThe_RemedyXx
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

The metal clip isn't properly inserted. Your CP isn't seated all the way in. That clip has to fully seat into the groove with a satisfying "click".
      02-27-2020, 09:05 AM   #29
T5viggen
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxThe_RemedyXx View Post
The metal clip isn't properly inserted. Your CP isn't seated all the way in. That clip has to fully seat into the groove with a satisfying "click".
Agreed, those clips have to be in correctly. Sometimes if they don’t click in, it means the CP isn't seated 100%. I’ve been running BM3 stage 2 for a while with the CTS CP and no issues.
      02-27-2020, 11:32 AM   #30
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Oversize if stock is determined to leak even after confirming correct orientation and correct/secure clip.

I am not saying don't RTV if that's what you want to do. I am just saying it didn't sit well with me; you may be totally fine with it.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 11:46 AM   #31
OEM+Alpine
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Oversize if stock is determined to leak even after confirming correct orientation and correct/secure clip.

I am not saying don't RTV if that's what you want to do. I am just saying it didn't sit well with me; you may be totally fine with it.
I'd rather go oversized o-ring any recommendations how to find the right one
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 01:24 PM   #32
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Yes, it was already linked in this thread. See first post.

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...ng+orientation

You can also read through that thread and the boost leak tester thread for how i found/fixed my leaks after removing and reinstalled IC and CP several times.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 07:56 PM   #33
OEM+Alpine
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

You can also read through that thread and the boost leak tester thread for how i found/fixed my leaks after removing and reinstalled IC and CP several times.
Got it sorry I missed that I ordered the 4x59 and 4.5x60

For all looking to buy a CP stay away from CTS turbo. Not because of their product (which is an issue) but because their customer service is the worst I've seen in a long time
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 07:58 PM   #34
OEM+Alpine
Second Lieutenant
Rep

More proof - their BBB rating is an F
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-09-2020, 07:50 AM   #35
OEM+Alpine
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

So I ordered the 4 x 59 and the 4 x 60; both were too small. The 59 wouldn't even completely stay in the CP. the 60 took so finesse but it stayed in the CP. But no matter how much I muscled it the intercooler would not fit. So I think I need something with a slightly smaller cross section.

At this point I could 1.) Get a different oring 2.) Warranty the CTS CP / replace with an evolution racewerks or VRSF
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2020, 01:45 PM   #36
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
So I ordered the 4 x 59 and the 4 x 60; both were too small. The 59 wouldn't even completely stay in the CP. the 60 took so finesse but it stayed in the CP. But no matter how much I muscled it the intercooler would not fit. So I think I need something with a slightly smaller cross section.

At this point I could 1.) Get a different oring 2.) Warranty the CTS CP / replace with an evolution racewerks or VRSF
OK a couple of things:

1. by "too small" i assume you actually mean that they were "too thick" based on your issue of not being able to fit?

2. by 4x60 do you mean 4.5x60? That's what you mentioned before.

So you are saying that you could not get the CP to slide over the IC with either one in place of the stock one? Just making sure you removed the stock one first, because the 4x59 should easily fit in the CP groove. I found it actually fit better than stock because of the round shape; it easily stayed in place.

Did you use some motor oil as lubricant? You should apply a little to the entire circumference of the Oring after putting into the CP and it helps to put a little on the IC mating surface as well.

In my case the 4x59 was fairly easy to install - the CP didnt just "fall" onto the IC like which stock, but it was snug. The 4.5x60 was nearly impossible. I had to sand down the circumference of the Oring ever so slightly, then apply a LOT of force. This required a large pry bar on the metal part of the CP (by where the clip sits), braced against the frame, prying down as hard as i could by lifting my body up into the pry bar while simultaneously pulling down on the CP toward the IC with my left hand (reaching up to do so).

I am surprised the 4x59 did not fit. IMO your best bet is to very lightly sand down the Oring to reduce the cross section thickness. You want to do so uniformly (very important). The easiest way to achieve that is to find something circular that the Oring will sit on that you can put into your drill. Think of a hole saw or similar. Then, spin the Oring at high speed while very lightly applying sand paper to uniformly decrease thickness. Trial and error until it barely fits. Don't take too much off.

Another thing that helps if it is cold outside is to heat the Oring up right before install so it is pliable. Putting in hot water works.

EDIT: I did this all with the IC in the car. If you remove the IC and lower part of the CP, you can install the CP onto the IC on the ground, which might be easier.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2020, 02:43 PM   #37
OEM+Alpine
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

OK a couple of things:

1. by "too small" i assume you actually mean that they were "too thick" based on your issue of not being able to fit?

2. by 4x60 do you mean 4.5x60? That's what you mentioned before.

So you are saying that you could not get the CP to slide over the IC with either one in place of the stock one? Just making sure you removed the stock one first, because the 4x59 should easily fit in the CP groove. I found it actually fit better than stock because of the round shape; it easily stayed in place.

Did you use some motor oil as lubricant? You should apply a little to the entire circumference of the Oring after putting into the CP and it helps to put a little on the IC mating surface as well.

In my case the 4x59 was fairly easy to install - the CP didnt just "fall" onto the IC like which stock, but it was snug. The 4.5x60 was nearly impossible. I had to sand down the circumference of the Oring ever so slightly, then apply a LOT of force. This required a large pry bar on the metal part of the CP (by where the clip sits), braced against the frame, prying down as hard as i could by lifting my body up into the pry bar while simultaneously pulling down on the CP toward the IC with my left hand (reaching up to do so).

I am surprised the 4x59 did not fit. IMO your best bet is to very lightly sand down the Oring to reduce the cross section thickness. You want to do so uniformly (very important). The easiest way to achieve that is to find something circular that the Oring will sit on that you can put into your drill. Think of a hole saw or similar. Then, spin the Oring at high speed while very lightly applying sand paper to uniformly decrease thickness. Trial and error until it barely fits. Don't take too much off.

Another thing that helps if it is cold outside is to heat the Oring up right before install so it is pliable. Putting in hot water works.

EDIT: I did this all with the IC in the car. If you remove the IC and lower part of the CP, you can install the CP onto the IC on the ground, which might be easier.
So here's some more specifics
1.) The OD if the 4 x 59 was too small and when it sat in the o ring channel on the CP it did not stay in place. This lead me to believe it wouldn't create a good seal
2.) I did not use a 4.5mm cross section only a 4mm
3.) I am thinking about ordering a 3.53mm x 60mm which should have the right inner dimensions and slightly less cross section. Thoughts?
4.) I did use oil to lubricate
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2020, 03:43 PM   #38
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
1.) The OD if the 4 x 59 was too small and when it sat in the o ring channel on the CP it did not stay in place. This lead me to believe it wouldn't create a good seal
3.) I am thinking about ordering a 3.53mm x 60mm which should have the right inner dimensions and slightly less cross section. Thoughts?
1. Interesting, to me that might suggest the issue is with the diameter of the CP - it might be too big, hence the loose connection with the IC. Both the 4x59 and the 4.5x60 fit well in the oring channel on my CP (i later concluded my problem was with the IC diameter being too small, not the CP being too large).

2. ok, so you have a 4x60 also.

3. Worth a shot, but fractions of a mm count here. My only concern is that it would be too loose. If you are certain you can't force on the 4x60, my first approach would be to lightly sand it down to reduce the thickness and try to install. You want the fit as tight as possible. To avoid repeating work, you could wait until you have the 3.53x60 on hand to attempt this.

Also, you did confirm that the leak wasn't due to the metal clip not being fully clipped in per your original post?

Or you can just say F it, bail on the CTS turbo, and hope you dont have issues with another brand lol. Might as well get an IC at the same time if you are going to do that.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2020, 08:01 PM   #39
OEM+Alpine
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
1. Interesting, to me that might suggest the issue is with the diameter of the CP - it might be too big, hence the loose connection with the IC. Both the 4x59 and the 4.5x60 fit well in the oring channel on my CP (i later concluded my problem was with the IC diameter being too small, not the CP being too large).

3. Worth a shot, but fractions of a mm count here. My only concern is that it would be too loose. If you are certain you can't force on the 4x60, my first approach would be to lightly sand it down to reduce the thickness and try to install. You want the fit as tight as possible. To avoid repeating work, you could wait until you have the 3.53x60 on hand to attempt this.

Also, you did confirm that the leak wasn't due to the metal clip not being fully clipped in per your original post?

Or you can just say F it, bail on the CTS turbo, and hope you dont have issues with another brand lol. Might as well get an IC at the same time if you are going to do that.
Yea I'm bailing on the CTS CP I can't waste my time with these a-holes anymore. They're providing no support and I'm left trying to force their product to work. I'll get a CP from Mike at XPH and either get a VRSF or ER
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2020, 10:14 PM   #40
khj24
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 m235i

Quote:
Yea I'm bailing on the CTS CP I can't waste my time with these a-holes anymore. They're providing no support and I'm left trying to force their product to work. I'll get a CP from Mike at XPH and either get a VRSF or ER
I have not seen a single complaint with the ER CP FWIW
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2020, 09:28 PM   #41
OEM+Alpine
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

What grit sand paper did you use?
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2020, 10:10 PM   #42
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
What grit sand paper did you use?
Dont recall exactly, probably around 200. You want fine sand paper. Use the speed of rotation of the drill and very light pressure to slowly remove material evenly around the circumference. You need it to stay smooth and do not want to be taking chunks off. You need a uniform reduction in thickness.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2020, 06:53 PM   #43
TR-8R
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 13' 335xi M-Sport

That's shitty you're having a bad experience with CTS.

I agree if I would recommend er over vrsf, if I were to go with another brand. I had an "new" vrsf and it looked like it had been used for 50k miles and the fitment was brutal
      03-11-2020, 07:02 PM   #44
mcintoshf30
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F30 335xi

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Got it sorry I missed that I ordered the 4x59 and 4.5x60

For all looking to buy a CP stay away from CTS turbo. Not because of their product (which is an issue) but because their customer service is the worst I've seen in a long time
I've had zero issues with all my CTS products.. 🤷*♂️ Gotta make sure it's installed correctly
Appreciate 0