F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Desperately need help ordering parts
GetBMWParts

04-02-2024, 10:22 PM   #1
CentralFLF30
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i F30

Question Desperately need help ordering parts

Hey Everyone,

So I have a 2016 RWD 328i with M Sport Suspension. Took my car to my mechanic today who told me I need the front left forward / front right forward control arms replaced.

I found this: https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...3160500067hdkt

on FCPEuro; are there any other parts that I need for them to replace the control arms? Do I need bushings as well? Or any other bolts, etc.?

They also said that I need my left and right struts replaced. I heard it was good to replace your struts and shocks at the same time (not sure if true) so am thinking of doing that.. Trying to order these parts is a bit more of a nightmare. They're telling me I need a strut assembly kit with springs, but these websites just confuse the hell out of me when I'm trying to look to confirm fitment..

Does anybody out there know where I can find a one stop shop kit for this? Or be able to just explain to me what parts exactly I need / any recommendations on websites to find them? My mechanic wasn't very helpful with this, as it didn't seem they knew what exact parts I needed for them to replace the struts.

If anybody can provide any help / guidance it'd be greatly appreciated.
Appreciate 1
danb19791935.50
      04-03-2024, 03:35 AM   #2
SD Convert
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 430i convertible

The bushings are already pressed into the arms. They probably failed. For most shops, the least expensive way to replace the bushing is to replace the arm. The cost of the labor to replace the bushing exceeds the cost of the entire arm.

There are also bolts that should be replaced (torque to yield) that appear to be included in the kit.

After the arms are replaced, it would be a good idea to get an alignment. The shop that replaces the arms should be able to do this or sub it out.

Good luck.
      04-03-2024, 03:55 AM   #3
danb1979
Idiotic lifter of heavy stones...
Rep
Drives: 2015 F31 325D M Sport touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by CentralFLF30 View Post
Hey Everyone,

So I have a 2016 RWD 328i with M Sport Suspension. Took my car to my mechanic today who told me I need the front left forward / front right forward control arms replaced.

on FCPEuro; are there any other parts that I need for them to replace the control arms? Do I need bushings as well? Or any other bolts, etc.?

They also said that I need my left and right struts replaced. I heard it was good to replace your struts and shocks at the same time (not sure if true) so am thinking of doing that.. Trying to order these parts is a bit more of a nightmare. They're telling me I need a strut assembly kit with springs, but these websites just confuse the hell out of me when I'm trying to look to confirm fitment..

Does anybody out there know where I can find a one stop shop kit for this? Or be able to just explain to me what parts exactly I need / any recommendations on websites to find them? My mechanic wasn't very helpful with this, as it didn't seem they knew what exact parts I needed for them to replace the struts.

Use www.realoem.com for your part numbers

Put the last 7 digts of your VIN into the box at the top of the page; it'll bring your car up

For suspension parts & their part numbers; look at the 'front axle' diagrams

For example this is RealOEM for my F31:

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/par...BMW-325d&mg=31

Front suspension here: https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=31_0942

Parts 6 & 10 are what you need; so get them off RealOEM for your car and then confirm those part numbers via whichever reseller you choose to use

If you need new shocks; the springs are probably fine, but it makes sense to replace the top mounts whilst it's all out (and the rubber spring perches, gaskets etc); you can go aftermarket for shocks (ie Bilstein, Koni etc) or stick with BMW (very expensive); that's your choice

As said above; it'll all need a full set up (tracking & alignment) after the works done as well
johnung4531.00
      04-03-2024, 08:51 AM   #4
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Quote:
I heard it was good to replace your struts and shocks at the same time
A strut is a shock. Perhaps he meant the rear shocks?
Appreciate 1
danb19791935.50
      04-03-2024, 10:09 AM   #5
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Hey Everyone,

Find another mechanic. This one doesn’t know what he’s doing and is running the bill up on you unnecessarily. BimmerShops website will show you independent BMW shops in your area. Then check reviews on them. Normally they supply the correct OEM parts. BTW that kit does include all front upper control arm parts. See photo. Gotta make sure that it’s a RWD kit for your car because XDrive kits look similar but won’t fit.

How many miles on your car? The front control arm bushings do tend to leak fluid and then need replacement. What’s your symptoms? Are they leaking fluid?

Why does he say that you need front struts or rear shocks? It’s nuts to tell you that you need a front strut assembly including springs.

If you want to upgrade your front struts and rear shocks, get Koni Special Actives- both more sporty and more comfortable than stock.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-03-2024, 10:14 AM   #6
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
See photo for part numbers on Koni Special Active front struts and rear shocks
Attached Images

Appreciate 0