F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > AA Catted DP CEL?
Extreme Powerhouse

05-19-2021, 11:19 PM   #1
anujatd
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i xDrive GC

AA Catted DP CEL?

Ran the AA Catted DP for about 5 months now, ~3.5k miles. Car got a CEL today and got code 180001 "Catalytic Converter: Efficiency below limit value"

Anyone else getting CEL with this DP? My car is not/never was tuned!

Today's the first day it got pretty hot here in NYC since i've added the DP- not sure if heat has anything to do with it?

Any help would be appreciated
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2021, 11:44 PM   #2
G.Newt
Major
Rep
Drives: CT4-V Blackwing 6MT

Clear it, see if it comes back. Contact AA if it does.
DAW v2.5 turbo E40 | Dorch S2 | VRSF DP | MST intake | AWE catback | 335is clutch | CSF heat exchanger | RK Autowerks intake manifold | Orange M Perf Brake Kit | KW Street Comfort coilovers | GTS taillights V2
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2021, 09:02 AM   #3
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Newt View Post
+1

They'll take care of it if the cat failed. I know they updated their cats no too long to a newer version

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 1
kianf2264.00
      05-20-2021, 09:51 AM   #4
anujatd
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Newt View Post
Tried clearing it with Bimmerlink, but I get an error that says something along the lines like "Code could not be cleared, please try again"
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2021, 10:16 AM   #5
f22b58
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i

Bimmerlink did not work for me either. I used a $10 app called ODB Fusion. It works but it resets your adaptations.
      05-20-2021, 01:30 PM   #6
WrxToBeamerGuy
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujatd View Post
Ran the AA Catted DP for about 5 months now, ~3.5k miles. Car got a CEL today and got code 180001 "Catalytic Converter: Efficiency below limit value"

Anyone else getting CEL with this DP? My car is not/never was tuned!

Today's the first day it got pretty hot here in NYC since i've added the DP- not sure if heat has anything to do with it?

Any help would be appreciated
AA as in Active Autowerke?

I've got one of these too so im curious what happens.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2021, 04:11 PM   #7
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

I cannot comment if AA units will give the CEL, but many high flow cat units do. And yes, it seems higher temps do cause the CEL to trigger (hotter exhaust temps probably?)

You might need to get one of those right-angle O2 offset adapters off Amazon for the lower O2 sensor to get it out of the stream.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2021, 09:08 PM   #8
Bay23
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wires View Post
I cannot comment if AA units will give the CEL, but many high flow cat units do. And yes, it seems higher temps do cause the CEL to trigger (hotter exhaust temps probably?)

You might need to get one of those right-angle O2 offset adapters off Amazon for the lower O2 sensor to get it out of the stream.
Would the O2 spacer change the air fuel ratio?
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2021, 09:53 PM   #9
anujatd
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:

Its the no CEL guarantee one. And I think you're right about the higher temps. It was significantly cooler today and when I started the car, no CEL. Drove about 40 miles today and no issues after a few warm starts.

91 degrees on Sunday so lets see what happens, i'll report back
Appreciate 1
Wires1645.50
      05-20-2021, 09:54 PM   #10
drivef30
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17' 340i xDrive M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay23 View Post
Yes, primary O2 sensor calibrates the secondary O2 sensor. Will it work to eliminate CEL possibly? Will it ruin calibration yes.... enough to harm engine? Not sure but probably not worth it. For anyone else thats about to challenge me on this LOL, watch youtube videos that explain how BMW uses a wideband O2 on these cars.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2021, 10:22 PM   #11
Bay23
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivef30 View Post
Quote:
Yes, primary O2 sensor calibrates the secondary O2 sensor. Will it work to eliminate CEL possibly? Will it ruin calibration yes.... enough to harm engine? Not sure but probably not worth it. For anyone else thats about to challenge me on this LOL, watch youtube videos that explain how BMW uses a wideband O2 on these cars.
Thank you appreciate the info
Appreciate 1
drivef30111.00
      05-21-2021, 10:34 AM   #12
drivef30
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Just for anyone wondering, this is what I was talking about:

Appreciate 0
      05-21-2021, 12:53 PM   #13
dmanb2b
Banned
Rep
Drives: G07, F97, F30, E90, E46, E30

running mine for 5 months now...no cel
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2021, 03:24 PM   #14
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
No, the secondary O2 sensor is just there to confirm that the cat is doing it's job properly. The primary (above the cat) is used for AFR adjustment.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2021, 03:31 PM   #15
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
If that was really true then anyone running high flow cats, or catless would just destroy their engines. The O2 sensor is measuring O2 levels (gasoline is high in O2).

If the emission system is doing it's job correctly the cats have burnt off any fuel so the secondary O2 shouldn't see any residual. The offset adapter just takes the tip of the O2 sensor out of the flow. It's still seeing the same exhaust though.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2021, 12:05 AM   #16
anujatd
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Its the no CEL guarantee one. And I think you're right about the higher temps. It was significantly cooler today and when I started the car, no CEL. Drove about 40 miles today and no issues after a few warm starts.

Drove all day today and no CEL. My car was just having a bad day on Thursday I guess
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2021, 02:37 AM   #17
drivef30
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
If that was really true then anyone running high flow cats, or catless would just destroy their engines. The O2 sensor is measuring O2 levels (gasoline is high in O2).

If the emission system is doing it's job correctly the cats have burnt off any fuel so the secondary O2 shouldn't see any residual. The offset adapter just takes the tip of the O2 sensor out of the flow. It's still seeing the same exhaust though.
Clearly, you havn't taken the time to watch the video I posted.

All I said was the secondary calibrates the primary o2. For example, just because the car will run without the MAF plugged in doesn't mean the car will suffer in someway... The MAF calibrates other aspects of the. Similarly, the secondary O2 calibrates the primary for the reasons mentioned in the video. As I also said in my other comment, its probably not going to ruin the engine but might affect some aspects of the car.

Ill give you another whiff of the pie, without giving you the whole pie... since you dont like watching videos."using a Bosch algorithm which takes the post cat sensor information to compensate for aging on the primary 02 sensors" and "The post-cat sensors are used to calibrate a 1.0 lambda for the widebands. The narrow bands are extremely accurate around stoich (1.0 lambda)." you can find the threads I found this at and read more into why a spacer isnt the best idea.

Hopefully you can find these threads and the thousands others and "enlighten those people" on how this DOCUMENTED fact is null and void; and that your testing + experience of others, is the only thing people should follow as engineers are overpaid for the technology they put into cars.

Last edited by drivef30; 05-23-2021 at 02:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2021, 09:37 AM   #18
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Clearly, you havn't taken the time to watch the video I posted.

All I said was the secondary calibrates the primary o2. For example, just because the car will run without the MAF plugged in doesn't mean the car will suffer in someway... The MAF calibrates other aspects of the. Similarly, the secondary O2 calibrates the primary for the reasons mentioned in the video. As I also said in my other comment, its probably not going to ruin the engine but might affect some aspects of the car.

Ill give you another whiff of the pie, without giving you the whole pie... since you dont like watching videos."using a Bosch algorithm which takes the post cat sensor information to compensate for aging on the primary 02 sensors" and "The post-cat sensors are used to calibrate a 1.0 lambda for the widebands. The narrow bands are extremely accurate around stoich (1.0 lambda)." you can find the threads I found this at and read more into why a spacer isnt the best idea.

Hopefully you can find these threads and the thousands others and "enlighten those people" on how this DOCUMENTED fact is null and void; and that your testing + experience of others, is the only thing people should follow as engineers are overpaid for the technology they put into cars.
So your "gospel" source is a some guy's random YouTube video?

Again, if that video WAS ACCURATE then NOBODY could run their car catless. It would lean out the car and it just wouldn't run, and it would be tossing a ton of codes around invalid fuel trim values.

But heh, believe what you want!
Appreciate 1
BMWILUVU809.00
      05-23-2021, 10:06 AM   #19
zen_f30
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i

Quote:

Good to hear that the CEL went away. I would definitely test it out again in warmer weather to see if it's the heat. I'm wondering if the heat could be degrading the catalytic converter.

How do you like the AA downpipe on the untuned car? Most people run downpipes with a stage 1 tune, so I'm curious what gains you've noticed?
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2021, 06:44 PM   #20
anujatd
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zen_f30 View Post
Good to hear that the CEL went away. I would definitely test it out again in warmer weather to see if it's the heat. I'm wondering if the heat could be degrading the catalytic converter.

How do you like the AA downpipe on the untuned car? Most people run downpipes with a stage 1 tune, so I'm curious what gains you've noticed?
Was 92 degrees here today in NY and I drove another 20-25 miles. Drove pretty hard- no CEL.

Tbh, I haven't noticed much performance wise, but the car is much louder than before. Just riding out my factory warranty before I tune stage 2. I just couldn't resist buying the AA DP, intake and chargepipe from xph during their black friday sale.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2021, 11:08 AM   #21
zen_f30
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i

Quote:
Was 92 degrees here today in NY and I drove another 20-25 miles. Drove pretty hard- no CEL.

Tbh, I haven't noticed much performance wise, but the car is much louder than before. Just riding out my factory warranty before I tune stage 2. I just couldn't resist buying the AA DP, intake and chargepipe from xph during their black friday sale.
Yeah I almost bought the AA DP, AWE exhaust, and BM3 from XPH last year during Black Friday. I had everything in my cart but never pulled the trigger because I'm still not sure if I'm going to keep the car or upgrade.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2021, 11:29 AM   #22
BMWILUVU
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 340ix

Quote:
So your "gospel" source is a some guy's random YouTube video?

Again, if that video WAS ACCURATE then NOBODY could run their car catless. It would lean out the car and it just wouldn't run, and it would be tossing a ton of codes around invalid fuel trim values.

But heh, believe what you want!
EXACTLY. I had this same discussion months back maybe with the same guy on some thread. The person said MHD says so and provided the video. ISTA says downstream is only for CAT efficiency. I don't know of any manufacturer out there which would use a downstream for AFR. If you think about it, would BMW really allow AFR to go out of whack because of CAT degradation or a stuck CAT? So a CAT goes and we blow the engine? Makes no sense.
Appreciate 1
Wires1645.50