F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Low oil warning after 1000 miles?
GetBMWParts

11-09-2020, 04:18 PM   #1
Sleeper340i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i

Low oil warning after 1000 miles?

So last couple months I've been facing this problem where I've been driving and received a low oil warning "minimum oil level, top off 1 quart". Both times have been after around few weeks to a month after the last oil change which is usually around 1000 miles.

From doing my research seems like it could be valve cover/valve cover gasket? But there are no signs of oil leak anywhere and just got a new oil change (drain/refill) today at the shop which they said my valve cover looked perfect with no leaks. They said I was missing 1.5 quarts since the last oil change with them though which was about 3 weeks.

Where could the oil be going? Everything is running fine and after running/installing the upgraded turbo
I haven't had this issue with oil for the last 10k till recently. I have been noticing smoke occasionally Coming from exhaust tips for a minute or so once I power it off but smells like gasoline mainly, not coolant.! Is there anybody else with this issue especially running upgraded turbo?
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2020, 04:44 PM   #2
jackstrath
Major
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 16' F31 340i & 03' Focus RS

Could it be blow by? Extra boost from a bigger turbo and the standard breather set up cant cope? Not really heard of it being an issue on the b58's tho
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2020, 04:49 PM   #3
Sleeper340i
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackstrath View Post
Could it be blow by? Extra boost from a bigger turbo and the standard breather set up cant cope? Not really heard of it being an issue on the b58's tho
That's what I was thinking too but I've been running relatively low boost/power compared to others with upgraded turbo and this wasn't an issue with the upgraded turbo before.. Plus 1.5 quarts in a few weeks seems crazy for turbo blowby..
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2020, 05:00 PM   #4
jackstrath
Major
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeper340i View Post
That's what I was thinking too but I've been running relatively low boost/power compared to others with upgraded turbo and this wasn't an issue with the upgraded turbo before.. Plus 1.5 quarts in a few weeks seems crazy for turbo blowby..
I was actually meaning piston blow by not turbo. Its a fair amount to loose il give you that.

Have you wipped of the pipe going into the throttle body? Check for oil there?

Same if you have a bore scope pop it down and look at the compressor housing for oil.

what sorta miles were covered in that few weeks?
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2020, 05:18 PM   #5
Sleeper340i
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I was actually meaning piston blow by not turbo. Its a fair amount to loose il give you that.

Same if you have a bore scope pop it down and look at the compressor housing for oil.

Gotcha, that makes more sense lol. I haven't done any of that but the mechanic did a visual inspection of the engine bay and didn't see anything abnormal but I'll definitely get to those when I can.

About 1000 miles I'd say since last oil change before low oil warning came on.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2020, 05:22 PM   #6
G.Newt
Major
Rep
Drives: CT4-V Blackwing 6MT

Quote:

If you think it's piston blowby, might want to get the cylinders compression tested.
DAW v2.5 turbo E40 | Dorch S2 | VRSF DP | MST intake | AWE catback | 335is clutch | CSF heat exchanger | RK Autowerks intake manifold | Orange M Perf Brake Kit | KW Street Comfort coilovers | GTS taillights V2
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2020, 06:06 PM   #7
340iGUY
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 340i manual

Quote:

Get someone to drive behind as you get on the turbo to see if you are getting smoky-color exhaust gases.
Your new turbo could be eating the oil.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2020, 06:19 PM   #8
jackstrath
Major
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Newt View Post
If you think it's piston blowby, might want to get the cylinders compression tested.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 340iGUY View Post
Get someone to drive behind as you get on the turbo to see if you are getting smoky-color exhaust gases.
Your new turbo could be eating the oil.
Y'all tagging the wrong guy
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2021, 01:27 AM   #9
Sleeper340i
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Update: Used liqui moly 5W-40 and the problem went away but a month and a half later what do you know, minimum oil warning light again after 2k miles.

Clearly the 5W-40 lasted longer than the 0w-20 by far but the oil is still disappearing somewhere. I'll be running a compression test and leak down test if needed and checking the intake for oil when I can but does anyone have any other insight?

Not sure if my inconsistent weird ticking along with one or two pops from the engine bay one day (never did that sound again) has anything to do with this.
Appreciate 1
kianf2264.00
      01-18-2021, 02:47 PM   #10
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Sleeper340i, what turbocharger did you install?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2021, 04:04 PM   #11
eksigned
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 4er

Quote:
Update: Used liqui moly 5W-40 and the problem went away but a month and a half later what do you know, minimum oil warning light again after 2k miles.

Clearly the 5W-40 lasted longer than the 0w-20 by far but the oil is still disappearing somewhere. I'll be running a compression test and leak down test if needed and checking the intake for oil when I can but does anyone have any other insight?

Not sure if my inconsistent weird ticking along with one or two pops from the engine bay one day (never did that sound again) has anything to do with this.
Aren't you under warranty still? There have been instances where oil sensors have been replaced, but it doesn't sound like that's the problem here.

No smoke while idling correct? PCV issue?

PS What tuning platform and how many miles on the Pure 800? How many lbs of boost, if you don't mind me asking.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2021, 04:29 PM   #12
BBri89
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 320d xDrive M Sport

Garage List
Do you get the warning a few weeks after you top it up as well? Or only a few weeks after you get it back from the oil change?

If the first, clearly leaking from somewhere.
If the latter, then maybe they're just not filling it up with the correct amount or to the correct level.
Or filling it to the level on the dipstick, but not topping it up after the engine is run and the oil settles again.

My progress thread
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2021, 05:18 PM   #13
Sleeper340i
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm56d7b View Post
Sleeper340i, what turbocharger did you install?
I'm running Pure 800.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2021, 05:30 PM   #14
Sleeper340i
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eksigned View Post
Quote:

Aren't you under warranty still? There have been instances where oil sensors have been replaced, but it doesn't sound like that's the problem here.

No smoke while idling correct? PCV issue?

PS What tuning platform and how many miles on the Pure 800? How many lbs of boost, if you don't mind me asking.
Yeah no more warranty and even if I did have it it would be long gone haha.

Car actually smokes a lot when driving these days, I contributed that to the cold weather though and being catless? I just tried leaving it in idle for 10+ minutes and it was smoking white smoke a bit near the end but the smell is not oil smell just smells sweet and like raw fuel.

I'm running Jordan tuned and hitting around 21 PSI on average peak WOT, wasn't able to push it anymore with the 92 octane here hindering me sadly.

I'll be happy if it's a PCV issue or a valve cover gasket compared to something more serious lol. Not looking like I'm getting much symptoms of either above issues tho as car is running pretty solid.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2021, 05:37 PM   #15
Sleeper340i
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBri89 View Post
Do you get the warning a few weeks after you top it up as well? Or only a few weeks after you get it back from the oil change?

If the first, clearly leaking from somewhere.
If the latter, then maybe they're just not filling it up with the correct amount or to the correct level.
Or filling it to the level on the dipstick, but not topping it up after the engine is run and the oil settles again.
So the first time I got the message the shop actually did a full oil change. The second time I got the warning I did a drain and fill and they said I was missing about 1.5 quarts from what they originally put in. The third time which was the most recent I topped another quart, so we'll see what happens soon just in case some mistake was made as you said.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2021, 03:06 PM   #16
Sleeper340i
Second Lieutenant
Rep

So i took my car to the shop and they did some testing on the PCV and turns out my PCV is perfectly fine. Next step will be compression testing when i replace my spark plugs since they are somewhat due for change anyways.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2022, 07:41 PM   #17
navid0308
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 335i

Did you figure out what went wrong?
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2022, 08:47 PM   #18
Mr. 340
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 340i

Quote:
So i took my car to the shop and they did some testing on the PCV and turns out my PCV is perfectly fine. Next step will be compression testing when i replace my spark plugs since they are somewhat due for change anyways.
Do you have a oil catch can?
PJ ACN91 + Meth tune| XHP Stage 3
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2022, 10:20 PM   #19
dmanb2b
Banned
Rep
Drives: G07, F97, F30, E90, E46, E30

Thread is over a year old
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2022, 03:07 AM   #20
Sleeper340i
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by navid0308 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by navid0308 View Post
Turned out my engine had failing piston ringlands which was leaking the oil. Eventually got a compression test which found cylinder 3 was 16-20 psi lower than the rest. Ended up getting a new engine from Germany and couldn't be happier with how it performs.

I'd highly recommend getting a compression test if you have any doubts for peace of mind.
Appreciate 1
B58557.50
      03-18-2022, 08:22 PM   #21
Mr. 340
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 340i

Quote:
Turned out my engine had failing piston ringlands which was leaking the oil. Eventually got a compression test which found cylinder 3 was 16-20 psi lower than the rest. Ended up getting a new engine from Germany and couldn't be happier with how it performs.

I'd highly recommend getting a compression test if you have any doubts for peace of mind.
Great to hear, although it sucks that it happened. How many miles did your old engine have when the symptoms started showing up?
PJ ACN91 + Meth tune| XHP Stage 3
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2022, 05:29 PM   #22
Sleeper340i
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by B58 View Post
Quote:

Dope! I ended up with a brand new engine from Germany also and couldn't have been happier. Mine were scored up walls and piston skirts from pissing injectors.
Awesome! Hoping we get get a good solid 3-5 years with no issues what mods were you running on yours? Also How much was the brand new engine? I got mine with 3000 miles for 4800 including shipping.
Appreciate 0