F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Andream MMI Box - Wireless CarPlay & Android Auto
ARMA SPEED

01-19-2021, 01:09 PM   #6095
IvanK
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW F48

Quote:
Originally Posted by byallmeans View Post
Hi all,

Apologies in advance if this will sound vague and inappropriate. Recently purchased a carplay box from AliE that's called 'Carsara' (which is the same as the Carlinkit or Andream, just using a custom software) It was working ok, but would shutdown every time I switch the ignition off. Seller sent me an update file and upon successful update - the mmi screen went all black with flickering lines. The box still works as my phones connects via BT and WiFi and I can play spotify etc., but nothing can be seen on the screen. Needles to say it doesn't help with downgrading to the previous version either as nothing can be seen. Seller said to power off the box, connect the USB drive with the old firmware ("GEMINI_PACK.bin" and empty file named "reccovery111#") in the root directory and upon powering on the box it should downgrade itself. That didn't work. Tried holding the "back/return" button whilst powering it up - it didn't work either. I was wondering if any of you might know any other way I could try to force downgrade? Assuming this can't be done via WiFi or Bluetooth? Is there any sort of adapter to connect up a different screen (in case the new update has changed screen resolution that's not supported by my MMI). It uses LVDS cable for video feed and I haven't been able to find any sort of adapter/converter to DVI/VGA/HDMI for that purpose. Any suggestions at all would be much appreciated. Thank you all in advance!
I had a problem with my previous MMI box, couldn't upgrade/downgrade the software nor the MCU. I couldn't force flash the MCU either but I did manage to force flash the firmware, and the method I used sounds and looks a bit silly but hey, it worked!

So, unlock your car, get inside and close the door. After a minute or so (assuming that everything that needs to be powered up has powered up, including the MMI) simply "simulate" that you are leaving the car and locking it, so turn off the ignition (without pressing the clutch, you want to power down your HU), open the door, shut the door, lock the car, and then stay inside and wait. Wait for about 2-3 minutes and you will see that all lights fade out, only the hazard light stays on I believe. The point is that the MMI goes off completely (you won't see the blue light flashing from inside of the box). Now plug in the USB stick with the downgrade file, press and hold "Back" on your iDrive controller and now start simulating that you are entering the car: unlock you car with the key, open the door, close the door, turn the ignition on this time pressing the clutch... all this time you are still holding the "Back" button and wait for a couple of seconds, the MMI clicks (relay) and from a black screen you should see an "Update" screen after 5-10 seconds, then release the "Back" button and let it update.

This worked for me, the only way I was able to downgrade/upgrade the firmware, using this "special" force flash method.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2021, 01:28 PM   #6096
ben.bell1987
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 F10 520D M Sport

Has anyone encountered an issue with their battery discharding after installation? I installed the Andream B box with reverse camera about 6 months ago but this happens every few days.

Box works perfectly other than that

I charged the battery fully just in case and disconnected the camera but this still happens, any help or how I can find out where the power is going is appreciated.

https://www.dropbox.com/home/Car?pre...829_131942.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/home/Car?pre...215_173527.jpg
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2021, 02:04 PM   #6097
Firefly1337
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: F20 M135i LCI

New versions

New updates on the 1st page:

- BR120.cpSDNRTY for RoadTop B-Version NBT (thx fdaw750)

Code:
created: 2021-01-16 09:38:17

- B2_V1.2.0_t for unknown Andream model (thx boblok)

Code:
created: 2020-12-30 08:40:20
There was no changelog and I could not detect any major changes. Some driver updates and a few minor changes that I have already seen in previous updates.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2021, 02:08 PM   #6098
Firefly1337
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Apologies in advance if this will sound vague and inappropriate. Recently purchased a carplay box from AliE that's called 'Carsara' (which is the same as the Carlinkit or Andream, just using a custom software) It was working ok, but would shutdown every time I switch the ignition off. Seller sent me an update file and upon successful update - the mmi screen went all black with flickering lines. The box still works as my phones connects via BT and WiFi and I can play spotify etc., but nothing can be seen on the screen. Needles to say it doesn't help with downgrading to the previous version either as nothing can be seen. Seller said to power off the box, connect the USB drive with the old firmware ("GEMINI_PACK.bin" and empty file named "reccovery111#") in the root directory and upon powering on the box it should downgrade itself. That didn't work. Tried holding the "back/return" button whilst powering it up - it didn't work either. I was wondering if any of you might know any other way I could try to force downgrade? Assuming this can't be done via WiFi or Bluetooth? Is there any sort of adapter to connect up a different screen (in case the new update has changed screen resolution that's not supported by my MMI). It uses LVDS cable for video feed and I haven't been able to find any sort of adapter/converter to DVI/VGA/HDMI for that purpose. Any suggestions at all would be much appreciated. Thank you all in advance!
I can't speak for the issues you are having, but the file should be called 'recovery111#' (single 'c').
I was able to find that string inside the code. Though I don't know what it's supposed to do (yet). Did you name it with that typo or without?
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2021, 02:18 PM   #6099
matcelej
Rep
Drives: F30 320D 2012

I updated my RoadTop NBT B unit to BR120 in one shot from BR115. Using 2gb fat32 old flash drive does the trick for me.

I see new Aec Auto Setup option in audio settings
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2021, 04:03 PM   #6100
muniz_ri
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 320I

Quote:
Hi all,

What was the name of the update file sent by the seller? Was it update.bin or something else?
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2021, 04:21 PM   #6101
nachogol171
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F22 228i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvanK View Post
So, I finally solved my OEM reverse camera problem, how? I replaced the MMI box

I honestly have to say that Carlinkit customer service (the sales guys) were great, on the other hand customer support... well they tried their best but my overall experience with them was not that good, I honestly have a feeling they use google translate or something similar to communicate with customers in english. It took them 10 days to actually understand what my problem was (even after sending videos and photos), and then their solution was "just connect your OEM camera to our unit, you should be able to tap somewhere the reverse camera wire, where and how to do that we have no idea but this is the solution our engineer proposed" really?!?! That's when I contacted customer service requesting a replacement unit which they sent immediately (and for which I paid a deposit of $80 because I didn't want to first sent the faulty unit back and wait for them to ship me a new one and leave just the cables and the whole mess in my car) and now everything works just the way it's supposed to. I'll ship back the faulty unit tomorrow and hopefully get my deposit back soon. I only wasn't happy with the idea that I have to pay the return postage since the device was obviously defective, but all is good since I'll be able to get this money back from PayPal since they will refund such a cost.

All in all a good experience with Carlinkit Official Store on aliexpress, I mean the way they handled the problem at the end. Now I can finally enjoy the device completely
I have a similar issue with the aftermarket camera they sold me. The screen keeps blacked out when reversing since 3 month ago. Before that date, it worked properly. Im in touch with Carlinkit but they said it was a software issue (MCU) when i think it is hardware. Im trying to get a new camera but they are refusing that. Do you think i should update the software using one of the links in this post? thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2021, 05:36 PM   #6102
f304dr
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 328xi

SDK Version: 25.0.0.5.6.0.0.0
CUST Version: BR102
MCU Version: 20.6.2.0
HW Version: BMW_NBT

Hello, what version can I update to with the roadtop system? Guessing I have the B-version so it can take BR120.cpSDNRTY? Should I do the MCU upgrade as well? Should I use the CFW instead? Thanks!

Last edited by f304dr; 01-19-2021 at 05:53 PM.. Reason: C
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2021, 06:12 PM   #6103
fomenter
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 528i Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisu0728 View Post
It behave the same. After play with the app, I noticed the android auto for phone screen app is not a stand alone app. It relay on the original app in the background.
Before the android 11 update, it connect itself with zero issue. It should be a bug or they changed the way how it trigger the auto connect with car head unit.
I have the same problem. Did you guys figure out a fix yet? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2021, 06:31 PM   #6104
fdaw750
Rep
Drives: 750Li

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefly1337 View Post
New updates on the 1st page:

- BR120.cpSDNRTY for RoadTop B-Version NBT (thx fdaw750)

Code:
created: 2021-01-16 09:38:17

- B2_V1.2.0_t for unknown Andream model (thx boblok)

Code:
created: 2020-12-30 08:40:20
There was no changelog and I could not detect any major changes. Some driver updates and a few minor changes that I have already seen in previous updates.
I have the RoadTop B unit. The mfr sent me BR120 as an ISPBOOOT.bin file. Honestly I was afraid to apply it since my unit is looking for a Gemini_pack.bin file. I figured I'd pass it on to you to inspect and see if it makes sense to apply.

I know you mentioned in a post that ISPBOOOT.bin is a full upgrade whereas Gemini_pack.bin is an incremental upgrade. Perhaps that's why we're getting the 'Burn Failed' error.

Please advise if this file is safe to apply to a RoadTop B unit.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2021, 06:40 PM   #6105
MrJello
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 328i xDrive

Quote:
Release: Custom firmware v1.0

Hey guys,
as promised here is the first public release of my custom firmware.

Version 1.0 includes:
  • Android Auto Widescreen Fix
  • Custom boot logo (BMW icon)
  • Replaced Z4 car image on integrated PDC/camera screen
  • Black flash/update screen

A big thank you to cossie1 and dkeruza for helping me figuring things out and also thanks to xDHC and muniz_ri for test flashing the custom firmware

You can find the versions v1.0.A0.mod (for Andream NBT; based on v2.1.0.6.gpe.b) and v1.0.C0.mod (for Carlinkit NBT; based on v9.2.5.yl.b) on the first page.
If there is a high demand I might make versions for RoadTop and also CIC based devices.

Let me know how it goes.

New Android Auto Widescreen

Since my unit is bricked I can't make demo pictures of my own, but have a look at the pictures provided by xDHC: Post1, Post2
Attachment 2361781

Custom flash/update screen
Attachment 2361782

BMW boot logo
Attachment 2361783

Replaced Z4 car on PDC screen
See cossie's post for more details and images: https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...postcount=3318
Attachment 2361810
I would love to get this on my RoadTop. Was one ever made? I was searching this thread but couldn't find anything. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2021, 06:57 PM   #6106
Masum2004
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 F20 116i

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewslimmer View Post
Firefly1337
Sorry but n00b question for you all:

What is the MCU? Is that part of iDrive or the MMI box?
Are there 2 separate softwares running within the MMI box?

Why are there 2 update files/processes?
-It looks like there is both an update for ISPBOOOT.BIN for the MMI Software, and then another (separate?) for upgrade.bin for MCU.
-Why isn't this update possible in one file, or one process?
-Do you need to do both updates, if available? If so, do you need to do either update before the other update?

I have a RoadTop unit on the way and will test it out briefly, then likely to try your Universal [NBT] Custom Firmware.

Thanks!
(2017 i3 NBT)
I know it's not a question for me, but I'll give it a try:

I think MCU is to control the hardware/chip(s) within the MMI unit. Like the BIOS does on a computer. It's installed on the MMI unit's ROM and not on iDrive, however it may play a part (as an intermediary) on how the MMI unit access/uses the components on the car (e.g. Aux, Speaker, Wheel knob, buttons on the steering etc.).

The other file what you install/upgrade with (to change CUST version BR115, BR120) can be compared to the Operating System (Windows 7, Windows 10). They are mostly related to the GUI and features we interact with within the MMI settings. New version often fixes issues identified on the previous version(s) and sometimes adds new features/functionality.

Like BIOS (Which doesn't need updating that frequently) MCU is not always required to be updated. But if there is certain change on how the OS utilises/access the hardware, BIOS/MCU may need updating prior to installing a new OS (BR115, BR120 etc.)

Like the BIOS, the MCU update file is really small in size (compared to the OS installer).

BIOS and OS does separate job, OS is somewhat dependent on the BIOS, if the BIOS is corrupt or not compatible the OS can't function. They cannot be installed using the same file, at least in this scenario.

MCU/BIOS is considered as Firmware as opposed to the Operating System (BR112) which is considered as Software. So not 2 different software for the MMI unit.

@Firefly1337 or anyone correct me if anything/everything above is wrong.
      01-19-2021, 07:05 PM   #6107
liam77
Private
Rep
Drives: Mini F55

Quote:
Originally Posted by emulajavi View Post
Thank you. That looks great. In CarPlay I imagine that by setting those ‘left and right scraps’ to 30... it will also look like OEM CarPlay. Is that correct?

Where did you bought it from? Can you share the link? Of all the different options and vendors is Andream B the most recommended as of January 2021 taking into account its software?

Also, about the installation, how did you do it? was there enough space behind the screen?

Thank you for you help.
I can only assume that the Left & Right scrap settings would be a system wide setting that reduces the screen width for both Carplay & AA. It's worth a shot. Even without applying those settings everything is still very usable. Only small amounts of the screen are cut off by the rounded corners.

I purchased from the Andream store on Aliexpress:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000192801429.html

I'm happy with the it, not sure if it's the most recommended though.

I have the Harmon Kardon sound system in my F55 - installation was not easy, but still OK.

The head unit on mine is much bigger than the standard in another F56 I've helped to install. On that car the mmi fits behind the head unit. In mine, it is way too tight, I have it tucked in above the footwell on the drivers side. You could fit it somewhere better, behind glove box etc but I wanted easy access to it. The jumper switches on mine are quite loose, some had changed position during the install so it took a while to work out why the display wasn't working at all - the jumper switches had changed.

Good luck!
Appreciate 1
emulajavi421.50
      01-19-2021, 09:43 PM   #6108
scooby007
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BmW X5 M-Sport 35i

Garage List
What is your MCU and B_Vxxx version?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimsilva View Post
Yep, no luck

I will keep trying and testing other USB drives.... Because I don't believe that I'm not quick enough

I've even used my elbow to press the controller and switched the pen drives immediately (the idrive UI appears almost at the same time that I press the controller).

After starting the upgrade and switching the pen drive 1.1.2 to 1.0.2 (when the idrive screen is display), after 10/15 seconds I hear a strong noise and the carplay image is displayed, no upgrading progress bar appear and a few seconds after the burning error start popping up...

Maybe there is no influence, but my MMI box came with version 1.0.1 and I upgraded to 1.0.4 with being on version 1.0.2...

Would you be able to post pics of your system info? Maybe something was over looked.
My MCU was 20.6.2.0.
I doubt you are slow with the swapping of the usb stick, how is your lay out for the usb plug?
I tried multiple times (over a week) to finally have all the stars and planets align to be able to downgrade and then upgrade the unit.
Appreciate 1
      01-19-2021, 11:01 PM   #6109
muniz_ri
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 320I

Android Auto SmartThings Integration

Somewhat related....very cool to see SmartThings is now integrated with AA. Slightly laggy but useable:
Attached Images

Last edited by muniz_ri; 01-20-2021 at 01:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2021, 01:46 AM   #6110
yulian
Private
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15 3.0d 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by muniz_ri View Post
You can get the OEM trim piece for about $22 USD:

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...s/51459393650/
Is there the same for x5 f15 maybe? :-)
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2021, 02:31 AM   #6111
byallmeans
Rep
Drives: BMW F32

Quote:
I can't speak for the issues you are having, but the file should be called 'recovery111#' (single 'c').
I was able to find that string inside the code. Though I don't know what it's supposed to do (yet). Did you name it with that typo or without?
Hi Firefly1337,

Sorry, it was just a typo here, I did name it with a single 'c'.

The second method to downgrade (whilst holding back/return button) does put the screen to full black (without it flickering) and USB drive seem to start having some activity that is shown by flashing light on the drive itself. But it only flashes 3 quick times in every 3-5 seconds (and has the exact same pattern every time) which looks as if it's trying to do something for sub-second and then fails and retries in 3-5 seconds. I was sat there for 30 minutes and couldn't see any progress at all. Maybe it needs more time, but it's freezing outside and plus I don't have that much time to spare just to sit there and wait. One thing I did notice is that no matter if I hit & hold 'back' button whilst powering on the MMI or anytime whilst already having MMI on - it would do the same thing, i.e. within 15 seconds of holding it would switch to the carplay box and the screen goes black. Which is when I see this funny activity on the USB drive. Losing hope. Would give up already if I knew it was bricked, but the fact I can still listen to spotify etc. suggests it's alive - just not showing the image properly.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2021, 02:36 AM   #6112
byallmeans
Rep
Drives: BMW F32

Quote:
Originally Posted by muniz_ri View Post
What was the name of the update file sent by the seller? Was it update.bin or something else?
Hi muniz_ri

The file is named "GEMINI_PACK.BIN"

Same name for the update and downgrade file, whilst the downgrade also includes another (empty) file with no extension named "recovery111#".
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2021, 02:40 AM   #6113
Bigjule1111
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 bmw640gc 2015Mercedes e40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statto25 View Post
Turns out it was the Line Detect Setting that was stopping the OEM camera working. All sorted and dash back together. My hands look like a Jack Russel was chewing on them! Now to try and upgrade the firmware!
the line detect setting.? What setting is this ? I'm Still having issues with my oem rear camera from time to time.. Thanks

Last edited by Bigjule1111; 01-20-2021 at 02:47 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2021, 02:50 AM   #6114
Firefly1337
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdaw750 View Post
I have the RoadTop B unit. The mfr sent me BR120 as an ISPBOOOT.bin file. Honestly I was afraid to apply it since my unit is looking for a Gemini_pack.bin file. I figured I'd pass it on to you to inspect and see if it makes sense to apply.

I know you mentioned in a post that ISPBOOOT.bin is a full upgrade whereas Gemini_pack.bin is an incremental upgrade. Perhaps that's why we're getting the 'Burn Failed' error.

Please advise if this file is safe to apply to a RoadTop B unit.
You won't be able to flash that file since the filename 'GEMINI_PACK.BIN' is hardcoded in the updater code.
But it's interesting nevertheless. The version from your ISPBOOOT.BIN is indeed the same (BR120.cpSDNRTY) as in the GEMINI_PACK.BIN. No idea why they would be sending you that file.
I will need to take a closer look at the file later today, it might work on a RoadTop A-version too but I'm not sure yet.

Quote:
Hi Firefly1337,

Sorry, it was just a typo here, I did name it with a single 'c'.

The second method to downgrade (whilst holding back/return button) does put the screen to full black (without it flickering) and USB drive seem to start having some activity that is shown by flashing light on the drive itself. But it only flashes 3 quick times in every 3-5 seconds (and has the exact same pattern every time) which looks as if it's trying to do something for sub-second and then fails and retries in 3-5 seconds. I was sat there for 30 minutes and couldn't see any progress at all. Maybe it needs more time, but it's freezing outside and plus I don't have that much time to spare just to sit there and wait. One thing I did notice is that no matter if I hit & hold 'back' button whilst powering on the MMI or anytime whilst already having MMI on - it would do the same thing, i.e. within 15 seconds of holding it would switch to the carplay box and the screen goes black. Which is when I see this funny activity on the USB drive. Losing hope. Would give up already if I knew it was bricked, but the fact I can still listen to spotify etc. suggests it's alive - just not showing the image properly.
Which (head-)unit do you have and which update version are you trying to flash?

I have seen your issue before with a user who had a CIC unit and flashed an NBT update. They have a different screen config. The update still worked but the screen had terrible flickering.
Maybe your current running version has a wrong screen config included.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2021, 04:29 AM   #6115
IvanK
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW F48

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachogol171 View Post
I have a similar issue with the aftermarket camera they sold me. The screen keeps blacked out when reversing since 3 month ago. Before that date, it worked properly. Im in touch with Carlinkit but they said it was a software issue (MCU) when i think it is hardware. Im trying to get a new camera but they are refusing that. Do you think i should update the software using one of the links in this post? thanks!
Sorry, I can't help you with the aftermarket camera issue. My problem was with my OEM camera, and the reason why it wasn't displaying, although it worked all the time, was that the MMI was always switching to the MMI camera view when I reversed which was showing a black image, because there was no aftermarket camera connected to the unit. It behaved as though I selected "Aftermarket" camera in the reverse settings although I selected "Original".

What you described sounds like a faulty camera/cable/connection to me, although I'm no expert on aftermarket camera installation. Why don't you contact the seller directly and forget about customer support (which was useless in my case) and ask them to replace you the camera (if it's still under some kind of warranty) and then try installing the new camera.

Don't know really how to help you further with this issue, sorry.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2021, 05:18 AM   #6116
rimsilva
Private
Portugal
Rep
Drives: i3 60Ah BEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby007 View Post
Would you be able to post pics of your system info? Maybe something was over looked.
My MCU was 20.6.2.0.
I doubt you are slow with the swapping of the usb stick, how is your lay out for the usb plug?
I tried multiple times (over a week) to finally have all the stars and planets align to be able to downgrade and then upgrade the unit.

At the moment my car is at BMW, I can send a picture later, but basically the usb is in the right side of the car (in the passenger foot area), and the idrive controller between the seat.

My box version is:

SDK Version: 25.0.0.5.6.0.0.0
CUST Version: B_V1.0.4
MCU Version: 20.4.2.14
HW Version: BMW_NBT
Appreciate 0