F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Mosselman Oil Thermostat upgrade DIY
Extreme Powerhouse

11-11-2019, 04:37 PM   #1
BMW DIY Guy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
2024 BMW M2  [9.75]
2017 BMW X1  [10.00]
2001 BMW X5  [10.00]
Mosselman Oil Thermostat upgrade DIY

Hey all!

The Mosselman Turbo Systems oil thermostat install is done in my F32. What a gorgeous piece of automotive upgrade, and I am really excited to have this in my car!

The install is really easy and something I strongly suggest you consider for your tuned N55 or N54 motor. As we push our engines WELL beyond the factory limits, we need to support how they function! This is a supportive upgrade to help the health and longevity of the motor, and a really good investment in that.

'Lillith' F87 M2 Competition Build Thread
Appreciate 2
TSA815157.50
1QuikWS61615.50
      11-11-2019, 08:54 PM   #2
harkes
Colonel
China
Rep
Drives: M135i, E39 M5, NSX and AE86

Great video, but as I wrote as a comment I dont understand why this product has its merits.
      11-11-2019, 09:01 PM   #3
ronanz
Gettin It Figured Out
United_States
Rep
Drives: 435i FBO PS2 bm3 w/ options

Providing you have the Factory oil cooler, how does this compare to Burger's Sport Oil Cooler Valve?

My Build Thread can be found HERE
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2019, 10:08 PM   #4
BMW DIY Guy
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW M2  [9.75]
2017 BMW X1  [10.00]
2001 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronanz View Post
Providing you have the Factory oil cooler, how does this compare to Burger's Sport Oil Cooler Valve?

good question.. cant compare against something I haven't tried yet.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2019, 10:39 PM   #5
ronanz
Gettin It Figured Out
United_States
Rep
Drives: 435i FBO PS2 bm3 w/ options

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW DIY Guy View Post

Well...going over descriptions for both, they in essence to the same thing.

- Mosselman's solution is an actual thermostat designed to open/close to keep temp at a specific target

*Cost = $317.25 (excluding Install kit) + tax + shipping I presume

- Burger's valve solution keeps thermostat open, increasing flow to cooler at all times

*Cost = $59.00 + shipping I presume

Being that the Mosselman's install is relatively straight forward, and Burger's solution is relatively inexpensive (with an easier install)...perhaps give it a shot and express your opinion? . 🍻

Either way, I appreciate your DIY's .

My Build Thread can be found HERE
Appreciate 1
      11-11-2019, 10:52 PM   #6
DreamerJoe
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i M.G. w red interior

Quote:
Quote:

Well...going over descriptions for both, they in essence to the same thing.

- Mosselman's solution is an actual thermostat designed to open/close to keep temp at a specific target

*Cost = $317.25 (excluding Install kit) + tax + shipping I presume

- Burger's valve solution keeps thermostat open, increasing flow to cooler at all times

*Cost = $59.00 + shipping I presume

Being that the Mosselman's install is relatively straight forward, and Burger's solution is relatively inexpensive (with an easier install)...perhaps give it a shot and express your opinion? .

Either way, I appreciate your DIY's .

or try installing the BMS valve IN the Mosselman thermostat for double the cooling!

love your videos btw, very detailed and informative, keep'm coming!
      11-13-2019, 04:36 AM   #7
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep
Drives: F32 435ix MSport

Garage List
Quote:

I think you answered your own question in your next post...

The Mosselman unit is a true thermostat as in the OEM unit, albeit it opens at a lower temp to keep oil cooler. Thermostat design can constantly regulate to keep temps stable

The BMS Spool valve simply replaces the OEM thermostat & keeps the flow to cooler wide open ALL the time

This may be good for cars in warm climates - but not so good for cars that drive in cold climates

Here in PA even though still November, it was 9 Deg this morning when I left for work - I don't want my oil flowing to the cooler immediately at those temps

Quote:
or try installing the BMS valve IN the Mosselman thermostat for double the cooling!
Design of BMS spool valve and Moss thermostat not compatible & would defeat the purpose even if it was - you don't need to buy the Moss $400 thermostatic housing only to remove all the guts and replace with an always open spool valve - might as well just install the $60 spool valve in OEM housing

Thanx OP for another great video

I'll have to pick one of these up for install in the spring
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit
Appreciate 1
      11-14-2019, 02:45 AM   #8
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1QuikWS6 View Post
The Mosselman unit is a true thermostat as in the OEM unit, albeit it opens at a lower temp to keep oil cooler. Thermostat design can constantly regulate to keep temps stable

The BMS Spool valve simply replaces the OEM thermostat & keeps the flow to cooler wide open ALL the time

This may be good for cars in warm climates - but not so good for cars that drive in cold climates

Here in PA even though still November, it was 9 Deg this morning when I left for work - I don't want my oil flowing to the cooler immediately.

I'll have to pick one of these up for install in the spring
Agree 100%

Open flow to oil cooler in cold climes is far from desirable.

Either M'man upgrade and $$$ or BMS drop in bypass spring thru fall and retrofit oem stat in the winter....
      11-14-2019, 09:43 PM   #9
doodlebro
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 X3 35i

Where did you buy this? Directly from Mosselman?

Going to probably do the install on my X3, I thought it looked more difficult but your video will help a lot!
Appreciate 1
      11-14-2019, 09:44 PM   #10
BMW DIY Guy
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW M2  [9.75]
2017 BMW X1  [10.00]
2001 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlebro View Post
Where did you buy this? Directly from Mosselman?

Going to probably do the install on my X3, I thought it looked more difficult but your video will help a lot!
I ordered from them directly.
Appreciate 1
1QuikWS61615.50
      11-15-2019, 12:25 PM   #11
doodlebro
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 X3 35i

Quote:
I ordered from them directly.
Thanks, it's a no-go for me as the oil cooler on X3's attaches the lines on top, not on bottom. Oh well.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2019, 03:38 PM   #12
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep

Garage List
Anyone thinking of ordering one of these should do so b4 the end of the yr - as prices will be going up

Final cost today when I ordered was $387.31USD for Unit + Gasket Kit
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit
Appreciate 1
      12-30-2019, 11:34 PM   #13
harkes
Colonel
China
Rep
Drives: M135i, E39 M5, NSX and AE86

Might I suggest people to just tick the "performance cooling" box in BM3/MHD instead? Same same - only FREE!!! I'll be happy to receive half of the money I just saved you....ok ok 30% is also ok LOL

The price for choosing a tune without continued development I guess...
      12-31-2019, 07:25 AM   #14
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by harkes View Post
Might I suggest people to just tick the "performance cooling" box in BM3/MHD instead? Same same - only FREE!!! I'll be happy to receive half of the money I just saved you....ok ok 30% is also ok LOL

The price for choosing a tune without continued development I guess...
That's assuming that everyone uses BM3/MHD, or even wants to...

I'm perfectly happy with my AA flash custom tune. AA has been tuning BMW's for a long time, much longer than either BM3/MHD, & has extensive experience with what worx to increase power & what doesn't. Had their tunes on my last (2) BMW's & current (2) = more than happy with the results

I can have any option that BM3/MHD has by simply asking Nic @ AA to write me a corresponding tune for free - I don't need a 'check box' within the tune to get the results.

Besides that, 'check boxes' for < or > burbles, < or > roar are simply sales gimmicks meant to attract Honda fan boiz

I don't want my electric H2O cooling pump + rad fan running longer duty cycles to 'indirectly' cool the oil. I would rather concentrate on the oil system directly

It is true what they say about opinions But we don't all have to agree - I do however, agree to disagree
Appreciate 1
Mike.2041.00
      12-31-2019, 09:03 AM   #15
swomerva
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 435i Gran Coupe

I'd be curious to see a blackstone oil analysis of a car that has used aftermarket oil cooling on an N54/N55 to see if there is any real world wear benefit. A cooler engine bay is good in the sense that it is less wear and tear on electrical components and plastics but good synthetic oil should be able to run well above 250 degrees without an issue. There is a school of thought that you want your oil to reach at least the boiling point temperature of water (212 degrees F) so any water build up would discharge as steam but I don't know if that is relevant with modern engines with tighter clearances. Just food for thought.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2019, 09:27 AM   #16
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep

Garage List
I was told by MM that oil temps should remain stable for my app + add-ons @ ~205 Deg C (221 F)
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2019, 10:47 AM   #17
GPM
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1QuikWS6 View Post
That's assuming that everyone uses BM3/MHD, or even wants to...

I'm perfectly happy with my AA flash custom tune. AA has been tuning BMW's for a long time, much longer than either BM3/MHD, & has extensive experience with what worx to increase power & what doesn't. Had their tunes on my last (2) BMW's & current (2) = more than happy with the results

I can have any option that BM3/MHD has by simply asking Nic @ AA to write me a corresponding tune for free - I don't need a 'check box' within the tune to get the results.

Besides that, 'check boxes' for < or > burbles, < or > roar are simply sales gimmicks meant to attract Honda fan boiz

I don't want my electric H2O cooling pump + rad fan running longer duty cycles to 'indirectly' cool the oil. I would rather concentrate on the oil system directly

It is true what they say about opinions But we don't all have to agree - I do however, agree to disagree
Nic did indeed click the performance cooling box on my tune. I had to email him this summer to ask him why my coolant and oil temps were running lower in the heat than they did during the winter.

He explained the option and it works for me. I've experienced excessive temps on other tuned cars in our summer heat and am glad to have this option.
      09-12-2020, 05:08 PM   #18
visionaut
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 435iX GC & 1976 2002

I finally installed mine two weeks ago. I’d been waiting for my oil change service to come due. I ordered it in June when they were out of stock, waiting on a new production batch. It arrived as promised early August. The thermostat was only $310, plus $39 sh, direct from The Netherlands.

I hadn’t seen this video - but the install was very straightforward using just the provided instructions and the Bentley manual. To me, the key tips are being thorough with sufficient rags coverage to catch the oil drippage and coolant when removing the existing housing, and plugging the ends of the coolant lines mid-swap.

As an engineer I was initially impressed by its design & manufacture. It looked to make smarter use of my existing N55 remote oil cooler to lower oil temps, and it supports winter warm-up, which is key for me here in ski country. The gleaming billet didn’t hurt..

Now after driving it over the past two weeks, in temps from 98 to 34 deg (lol Denver), I’m also equally impressed with its performance. My 435iX would previously run straight-up on the gauge, 250 deg steady, whether out on a great drive or stuck in traffic, year round. Normal, but a bit hotter than I’d prefer. With the MSL it now never exceeds, and runs a steady 220-225 deg.

Steady lower peak/running oil temps by better regulating the existing oil cooling system, without having to run the water cooling system overtime to do so, works for me.

Repost of the install ‘money shot’ ..
Attached Images

09-12-2020, 06:50 PM   #19
BMW DIY Guy
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW M2  [9.75]
2017 BMW X1  [10.00]
2001 BMW X5  [10.00]
I see similar of 25 degrees or so less on average. Great writeup!
Appreciate 1
visionaut1289.00
      10-19-2020, 12:47 PM   #20
itsrichierich
Moto Lover
Rep
Drives: '19 BMW S1000XR

I like how this unit still has a working thermostat and opens/closes when needed. But does this go against the engineering behind the N55 engine?
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2020, 03:30 PM   #21
Liandri
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsrichierich View Post
I like how this unit still has a working thermostat and opens/closes when needed. But does this go against the engineering behind the N55 engine?
Nope. It just lowers oil temp. There's a secondary heat exchanger block that constantly passes heat from the coolant to the oil as a way to warm up the car, so any additional oil cooling only helps. I look at this mod more as preventative maintenance, it's my opinion bmw has so many premature gasket failures due to the rediculously high stock oil temp. I've been running the MSL thermostat all summer and it's performed great, I set target coolant temp to 185 in MHD as well. Coolant actual temp will vary from 80c- 99c and oil temp does not go above 99c
Appreciate 1
      10-19-2020, 03:33 PM   #22
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liandri View Post
Nope. It just lowers oil temp. There's a secondary heat exchanger block that constantly passes heat from the coolant to the oil as a way to warm up the car, so any additional oil cooling only helps. I look at this mod more as preventative maintenance, it's my opinion bmw has so many premature gasket failures due to the rediculously high stock oil temp. I've been running the MSL thermostat all summer and it's performed great, I set target coolant temp to 185 in MHD as well. Coolant actual temp will vary from 80c- 99c and oil temp does not go above 99c
I think he was asking if the engine was specifically engineered to operate with a higher oil temp, i.e., for performance, tolerances, or other reasons. Everyone is always surprised that BMW intentionally has oil operate around 240-250F on a stock car, but the question is, is there a reason for that besides maybe fuel economy?
Appreciate 1