F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > 340i xdrive vs rwd
proTUNING Freaks

01-08-2021, 02:20 PM   #1
thesampage
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 340i XDrive Msport

340i xdrive vs rwd

Hey guys,
I'm planning on purchasing a used 340i and am kind of torn between xdrive and rwd. I know the whole debate around snow tires and how all wheel drive with all seasons isn't actually that great in the snow. I live in colorado so when it snows it's usually gone within 1-3 days.

What I'm really wondering is if the xdrive 340s come with the 704 suspension or not. I'm only looking at msport 340i's so from a handling perspective am I really losing a ton if I choose xdrive over rwd? Anyone have any thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2021, 02:52 PM   #2
joeyb26
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i xDrive

You don't get the 704 suspension with xdrive. You need the rwd 340i to get that. If you go with xdrive, you get the base suspension which unfortunately has a large amount of wheel gap. I lowered my xdrive 340i on coilovers to remedy that
      01-08-2021, 02:57 PM   #3
jmack
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: OG M2, E70 X5M

There are only two suspensions for 340i xDrive, standard and Adaptive. Unfortunately, M Sport models with xDrive come with the standard suspension. You have to either look for the Track Handling Package to get the adaptive suspension or go with an aftermarket suspension.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2021, 02:59 PM   #4
Sigtran
Private
Serbia
Rep
Drives: F30 320d xDrive M-Sport

Garage List
If as you say, I would opt for 340i without xDrive with performance summer tyres, they are way better then all seasons on hot climate... And for those 2-3 snow days a year, just don't drive or rent a car.

For really lot of snow and snowy days, xDrive with winter tyres is great, but as said in your case, I know I would go for RWD - more fun, better performance, no need to worry about transfer box etc.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2021, 03:37 PM   #5
im_an_alien
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i

RWD with a stick!!!
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2021, 04:34 PM   #6
vmaniqui
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Toyota Land Cruiser/340i M

Quote:
Originally Posted by im_an_alien View Post
RWD with a stick!!!
that will be the ultimate ride..... and the best choice too
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2021, 05:05 AM   #7
dmaxdmax
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i 6-spd

I was sorry I couldn't find a rwd 6-speed...and you probably won't either...but there are, I believe, about twice as many awd 6-speeds...took me months to find mine.

You can still throttle steer, but the car's limits are beyond what I'll go near on the road.

Living in NJ where we get snow, I find it comforting to have the awd...and it makes it very stable in the rain. The only downside is the extra weight and the embarrassment of having awd in a community like this where bragging rights seem important.

dmax on FB

My last pre-covid standup set
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2021, 04:14 PM   #8
BWbimmer
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW F36, E36, E93

Garage List
I didn't go for AWD because of the disadvantages of the limited tire choice, the additional weight, the issue with lowering and the problems the the transmission box.
If I really need the car in heavy snow I could still put some chains on.
      01-09-2021, 06:38 PM   #9
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesampage View Post
Hey guys,
I'm planning on purchasing a used 340i and am kind of torn between xdrive and rwd. I know the whole debate around snow tires and how all wheel drive with all seasons isn't actually that great in the snow. I live in colorado so when it snows it's usually gone within 1-3 days.

What I'm really wondering is if the xdrive 340s come with the 704 suspension or not. I'm only looking at msport 340i's so from a handling perspective am I really losing a ton if I choose xdrive over rwd? Anyone have any thoughts?
You just got a few RWD biased guys to comment first. Most of what they said is nonsense. XDrive is the best AWD system that there is.

Stop thinking of xDrive as for the snow. Yes, it's great in the snow but it's incredible for handling every day of the year. It just blows RWD cars off the line every time. I've owned many brands of AWD cars and most are FWD oriented. BMW is RWD oriented. It's a drivers car. I've been out to Colorado and rented many different cars there. A 340i xDrive would be a blast there!

Forget that suspension chatter too. You can mod the suspension many different ways to get it just the way that you'd like for your needs and your roads. If you find a 340i xDrive then great! If you find one with the Adaptive struts and shocks, then even better! Let me know and I'd be happy to give you tips on suspension, steering, brakes, etc.

Good luck!
Appreciate 7
i128316.00
J555568.50
Billfitz8225.00
tuco44644.00
cfm56d7b5876.00
      01-09-2021, 07:04 PM   #10
Machinebuilder
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 640 IX GT

I think that for Colorado x-drive is a fine choice. I think the new x-drive cars are great and the suspension travel makes it more comfortable in comfort mode and sporty enough in sport mode. It is also alot safer when giving it gas and driving fast. I test drove a M240 6 mt rear wheel drive vs a 440i Xdrive and for New England went x-drive.
Appreciate 4
F30_Paul_116.00
johnung4526.50
tuco44644.00
      01-09-2021, 07:54 PM   #11
thesampage
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 340i XDrive Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post
You just got a few RWD biased guys to comment first. Most of what they said is nonsense. XDrive is the best AWD system that there is.

Stop thinking of xDrive as for the snow. Yes, it's great in the snow but it's incredible for handling every day of the year. It just blows RWD cars off the line every time. I've owned many brands of AWD cars and most are FWD oriented. BMW is RWD oriented. It's a drivers car. I've been out to Colorado and rented many different cars there. A 340i xDrive would be a blast there!

Forget that suspension chatter too. You can mod the suspension many different ways to get it just the way that you'd like for your needs and your roads. If you find a 340i xDrive then great! If you find one with the Adaptive struts and shocks, then even better! Let me know and I'd be happy to give you tips on suspension, steering, brakes, etc.

Good luck!
I think you're right, definitely keeping my eye out for a xdrive with the adaptive suspension. What I've been looking for is the blue calipers with larger wheels and no front fog lights. All signs of the track handling package, am I correct on that? Is there a better way to identifying them or do I have things mixed up?
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2021, 08:03 PM   #12
M Smurf
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigtran View Post
If as you say, I would opt for 340i without xDrive with performance summer tyres, they are way better then all seasons on hot climate... And for those 2-3 snow days a year, just don't drive or rent a car.

For really lot of snow and snowy days, xDrive with winter tyres is great, but as said in your case, I know I would go for RWD - more fun, better performance, no need to worry about transfer box etc.
RWD all day long! I can tear through the worst winters in the country. You gain nothing by going AWD IMO
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2021, 08:13 PM   #13
M Smurf
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Good luck!
Worth a read to counter the performance angle of xdrive

https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show...1787327&page=2
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2021, 12:18 AM   #14
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWbimmer View Post
I didn't go for AWD because of the disadvantages of the limited tire choice, the additional weight, the issue with lowering and the problems the the transmission box.
If I really need the car in heavy snow I could still put some chains on.
Also turn radius is worse with x drive.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2021, 10:30 AM   #15
Sigtran
Private
Serbia
Rep
Drives: F30 320d xDrive M-Sport

Garage List
On non-slippery road, xdrive is just a additional weight, potential failure point and a fun killer. BMW is as it is perfectly balanced, no need xdrive on dry.

However, on slippery road conditions or snow, xdrive is just awesome to have, really a peace of mind.

And yes, I have a xDrive, but where I live it makes sense. If for example, I live on Florida, or somewhere with even dryer climate, I would prefer RWD.
Appreciate 1
BWbimmer276.50
      01-10-2021, 11:49 AM   #16
tjlees
Major
England
Rep
Drives: F30 Chav Mobile

Its best to try both.

I have xdrive and adaptive. on a wet track or wet handling circuit, it's a real hoot - providing you fully turn off the traction control.

The steering is not the last word in feedback and feel but ok for a rep mobile - it maybe better on sdrive but can't really say I noticed with my ham fists.

main plus' for xdrive is traction, amazing power slides without having a scenery interface problem and, for me doing 20k pa on the highway, fairly even tyre wear and getting 50k out of my rears.

main minus' is weight/fuel consumption, maintenance on xfer box/diff and something else to go wrong

of course it's the best (or at least as good) 4wd system in snow ;-). This has been posted before but always good to have an objective test

Appreciate 1
J555568.50
      01-10-2021, 03:38 PM   #17
braxius
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i

I got the RWD and it handles well. Tires are going to make a big difference too.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2021, 09:24 AM   #18
M Smurf
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by braxius View Post
I got the RWD and it handles well. Tires are going to make a big difference too.
If discussing winter driving, tires make ALL THE DIFFERENCE!
Appreciate 2
      01-14-2021, 07:20 AM   #19
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigtran View Post
On non-slippery road, xdrive is just a additional weight, potential failure point and a fun killer. BMW is as it is perfectly balanced, no need xdrive on dry.

However, on slippery road conditions or snow, xdrive is just awesome to have, really a peace of mind.

And yes, I have a xDrive, but where I live it makes sense. If for example, I live on Florida, or somewhere with even dryer climate, I would prefer RWD.
Florida has daily downpour rain storms that come on suddenly and vision can be cut to zero. Not only would xDrive be preferable to RWD in those situations, I'd make sure that I had a superior rain tire like Michelin Pilot Sport 4S, the best brakes for rain conditions like Hawk 5.0 pads with superior bite and StopTech crossdrilled rotors with superior bite and the best protection against water getting between swept area between pad and rotor surface.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2021, 08:10 AM   #20
Desertnate
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i

Garage List
2016 BMW 435i  [0.00]
RWD. No question about it.

Along my journey to buying a RWD 435, I drove a lot of AWD F30's since my original intent was to get a sedan. I test drove a lot of AWD cars since that is all the dealerships typically stock. I found the AWD cars with the standard suspension to be too floaty and soft for my taste. The adaptive suspension was much better, but there was still something about the feel of the car I didn't really like.

Some time later while visiting my local dealership for one of the corporate drive events, a salesman I knew offered to let me drive one of their special service loaners: a RWD MSport with adaptive suspension. That test drive made all the difference and kept me from shopping a different brand.

I can't place my finger on exactly why, but I found the RWD cars to be better balanced and just feel better to drive IMO.

Once a RWD car landed in my garage, a set of winter tires was the next step. I've never had any issues in some truly terrible snow and very happy with the decision.

Last edited by Desertnate; 01-14-2021 at 08:16 AM..
Appreciate 1
BWbimmer276.50
      01-14-2021, 08:23 AM   #21
im_an_alien
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i

Quote:
Florida has daily downpour rain storms that come on suddenly and vision can be cut to zero. Not only would xDrive be preferable to RWD in those situations, I'd make sure that I had a superior rain tire like Michelin Pilot Sport 4S, the best brakes for rain conditions like Hawk 5.0 pads with superior bite and StopTech crossdrilled rotors with superior bite and the best protection against water getting between swept area between pad and rotor surface.
I'm not sure xdrive has any measurable advantage over rwd in the rain unless temps are near freezing...awd only helps you get going from a stop. Tires make a bigger difference..
Appreciate 3
jmack548.50
M Smurf156.50
      01-14-2021, 08:43 AM   #22
insanecoder
Banned
Rep
Drives: 340isDrive

RWD
I never understood why people are concerned about performance driving in rain and snow
everyone else is driving slower then as well
and when heavy snow comes down, how often then do you really want or need to go out?
and they usually plow it within hours
just get yourself RWD, a set of good summer & snow tires, and drive safely in iffy weather
Appreciate 0