F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > Center console ambient light - No ashtray light wire.
Extreme Powerhouse

01-04-2021, 11:21 AM   #1
SerTan
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i M Sport E90 2005

Center console ambient light - No ashtray light wire.

Hi all, i have bought a center console for my f34 thinking as i have ambient lights in my iDrive i can install this aftermarket center console with LED.

Upon removing bottom platic piece that hangs above cupholders and below center console i found that i have no wires ( no led for ashtray/cupholders) apparently some one mentioned BMW stopped adding lights on models after Jul 2015

So on that led center console i have 3 wires Brown Blue and Red, pretty simple.
Has anyone managed to tap them wires in to ambient door wiring? Where does the ambient door wiring pass? Anywhere near center console?

Any other options on adding this to work with idrive eg to change intense of light and color.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2021, 02:53 PM   #2
3-GT
Second Lieutenant
Wales
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d GT

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...;postcount=324

This post might help you out. There was some people selling some on ebay, but prices seem high for what they are.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2021, 09:12 PM   #3
SerTan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3-GT View Post
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...&postcount=324

This post might help you out. There was some people selling some on ebay, but prices seem high for what they are.
Top man thank you exactly what i was looking for. Will try to just tap in to wires for a test. Thought footwell light only gets power when triggered by switch or door open as didn't want radio ambient light to only come on when footwell light comes on would be kind of pointless.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2021, 04:34 AM   #4
Sigge
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 420d xDrive 2016

Funny, this is exactly the mod i ordered materials for a couple of days ago. I first purchased only the lci trim with led along with a Y-wire to connect the trim via the light above the cupholder. Was really suprised when there was nothing but an empty hole there. ( Did not look beforehand because i thought that was standard and i nerver really paid any attention to it)

But fortunately i have the ambient light in the footwell, so will be able to get the power from there. Used the guide mentioned above to order the parts needed.

Bought a kit from amazon with various connectors and wires along with a crimping tool to make the connector between the footwell led and the cupholder led.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2021, 01:24 PM   #5
SerTan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigge View Post
Funny, this is exactly the mod i ordered materials for a couple of days ago. I first purchased only the lci trim with led along with a Y-wire to connect the trim via the light above the cupholder. Was really suprised when there was nothing but an empty hole there. ( Did not look beforehand because i thought that was standard and i nerver really paid any attention to it)

But fortunately i have the ambient light in the footwell, so will be able to get the power from there. Used the guide mentioned above to order the parts needed.

Bought a kit from amazon with various connectors and wires along with a crimping tool to make the connector between the footwell led and the cupholder led.
Shite i dont even know if i have ambient light in footwell i deff have it on door trims front and back but never paid attention to footwell

So how shuld it look? If my door trim changes to white cia settings in iDrive then both footwell.change to white too? And if i to amber footwell changes to amber? If so im.gonna test now and hope for obvius.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2021, 09:44 AM   #6
Sigge
Private
Rep

Well, you should have a constant light there even if the door is closed. Either in orange or white depending on your setting. Switch the light into parkinglight to activate it if its bright outside and you have automatic lights.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2021, 05:30 PM   #7
SerTan
Rep

Quote:
Well, you should have a constant light there even if the door is closed. Either in orange or white depending on your setting. Switch the light into parkinglight to activate it if its bright outside and you have automatic lights.
Checked and yes correct light does change when i switch from orange to white. Will wire it to footwell then, just got some 22aug wire and not bothered with connectors will use quick connection to tap in to 3 wires.

Appreciate 0
      01-12-2021, 01:01 AM   #8
Sigge
Private
Rep

Im still waiting for my connectors. Feels safer and more oem to use thoose 😅
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2021, 07:36 AM   #9
SerTan
Rep

Quote:
Im still waiting for my connectors. Feels safer and more oem to use thoose 😅
Im just hoping as OEM door Ambient is not that bright really and center console people say will be allot bighter some say too bright. Maybe i should stick a resistor

Still disnt try ans change it as waiting for reverse camera to arrive so when i take panel off.ill to it all in one go.
Appreciate 0