F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > OEM HUD Retrofit
Extreme Powerhouse

05-12-2020, 06:10 PM   #89
freespirit
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: f30 2016 BMW 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by deneyer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dc444 View Post
Looking at the hsd cable, is it straight forward where the brown and red/yellow wires go?
Here is wiring diagram and also where the 2 cables go to according to BMW not to what is said on ebay.
Thank you so much for the wiring diagram. Before I ask any dumb question, I need to mention this is the first time I am trying to analyze or understand a wiring diagram. so please excuse

After reading through the diagram multiple times, I understand that

Brown wire in the picture below goes to A173*7B pin 32 and
Red/yellow wire goes to A71*1B pin 10

Name:  Screenshot_20200512-190926_eBay.jpg
Views: 2874
Size:  320.7 KB

please confirm so i don't messup. Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2020, 10:17 PM   #90
Dc444
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 N55 335i AT

Quote:
Here is wiring diagram and also where the 2 cables go to according to BMW not to what is said on ebay.
Nice, thanks.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2020, 09:15 AM   #91
deneyer
Second Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by freespirit View Post
Thank you so much for the wiring diagram. Before I ask any dumb question, I need to mention this is the first time I am trying to analyze or understand a wiring diagram. so please excuse

Attachment 2309106

if you have the hsd cable to be sure check the pin nr of brown and red. Normally it should be the same as on the diagram, but what you say is correct. In my case i had a long and a shorter wire thats also an indicator long should be brown to go to fem and short should be red/yellow in your case to cluster (so doesnt need to be this long)
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2020, 09:37 AM   #92
freespirit
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Attachment 2309106

if you have the hsd cable to be sure check the pin nr of brown and red. Normally it should be the same as on the diagram, but what you say is correct. In my case i had a long and a shorter wire thats also an indicator long should be brown to go to fem and short should be red/yellow in your case to cluster (so doesnt need to be this long)
That's a smart idea. I'll get the cable on Monday. Will check for this. Thank you

Retrofits: NBT evo ID6, 6wb cluster, heated steering wheel, HUD, Kafas2 with LDW, SLI, HBA, FCW and pedestrian warning, LCW, Surround View, Parking Assist and ACC with Stop
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2020, 01:17 PM   #93
freespirit
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Attachment 2309106

You're right sir. The brown wire is longer than the red/yellow. Thanks for the hint

Retrofits: NBT evo ID6, 6wb cluster, heated steering wheel, HUD, Kafas2 with LDW, SLI, HBA, FCW and pedestrian warning, LCW, Surround View, Parking Assist and ACC with Stop
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2020, 02:27 PM   #94
freespirit
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
so i tried to connected the HSD cable to hud port today but its not even going in to my 6wb cluster. Should i trim the edges of the connector ?

Name:  20200517_151333.jpg
Views: 2516
Size:  221.4 KB

Name:  20200517_151348.jpg
Views: 2476
Size:  203.2 KB
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2020, 01:23 PM   #95
deneyer
Second Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
so i tried to connected the HSD cable to hud port today but its not even going in to my 6wb cluster. Should i trim the edges of the connector ?

Attachment 2313396

Attachment 2313397
I would send the picture to the seller and ask him before cutting. Cause if you cut it, it can be that you might need to turn it 180° if the pins are not correct.

I also had this problem when i retrofited snap-in the hsd cable was wrong and didnt fit so i cut it so it would fit but i had a short circuit, had to turn the cable 180° and then it worked.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2020, 09:05 PM   #96
freespirit
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I would send the picture to the seller and ask him before cutting. Cause if you cut it, it can be that you might need to turn it 180° if the pins are not correct.

I also had this problem when i retrofited snap-in the hsd cable was wrong and didnt fit so i cut it so it would fit but i had a short circuit, had to turn the cable 180° and then it worked.

Seller also confirmed to rotate the cable by 180 degrees. Now the problem is i had to trim the hud side connector as well. Can you please help to figure out which pin is voltage and which is ground on the hud?

After 180 degree rotation

Name:  20200518_201721.jpg
Views: 2554
Size:  162.1 KB

Can you please tell if the voltage and ground wires look correct or should they be swapped.

Name:  20200518_191413.jpg
Views: 2440
Size:  328.1 KB

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2020, 10:48 PM   #97
pdxpeter
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 M50, 1991 E30 vert

Figured I didn't feel like messing with cutting the hole in the dash Not too expensive if you can find one locally.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-19-2020, 09:04 AM   #98
deneyer
Second Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Seller also confirmed to rotate the cable by 180 degrees. Now the problem is i had to trim the hud side connector as well. Can you please help to figure out which pin is voltage and which is ground on the hud?

Attachment 2314818

Can you please tell if the voltage and ground wires look correct or should they be swapped.

Attachment 2314819

Thanks
i dont know if its both sides that need to be truned 180°, for the snap-in i only needed to turn 1 of the 2 sides 180°
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2020, 11:51 PM   #99
freespirit
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Attachment 2314818

Attachment 2314819

Thanks
i dont know if its both sides that need to be truned 180°, for the snap-in i only needed to turn 1 of the 2 sides 180°
Finally it worked . I only had to swap the red/yellow and brown wires. Didn't rotate cable on any side. However I tried all 8 combinations.

Thank you so much for the help

Appreciate 0
      05-20-2020, 08:59 PM   #100
pdxpeter
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 M50, 1991 E30 vert

Is there any reason I wouldn't want to use an HSD cable like this?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/HSD-Wire-LV...EAAOSwC19bEP37

Figure it needs a little modification but appears like it would work.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2020, 09:47 PM   #101
freespirit
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxpeter View Post
Is there any reason I wouldn't want to use an HSD cable like this?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/HSD-Wire-LV...EAAOSwC19bEP37

Figure it needs a little modification but appears like it would work.
This cable won't work. It's for headunit. It won't work because if you notice the connectors both are in L shape with power and ground cables running between one connector to the other.

For hud you need a cable like this

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/333352572725

or

https://www.ebay.com/itm/264653504384

Appreciate 0
      05-30-2020, 01:58 PM   #102
freespirit
First Lieutenant
Rep

Installed HUD today and everything is working fine except the brightness on a sunny day even with full brightness setting in idrive. I have RLS sensor hud version ready but do you suggest installing it now or after windshield replacement?

Any suggestions please. Thanks

Appreciate 0
      05-30-2020, 02:27 PM   #103
deneyer
Second Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Installed HUD today and everything is working fine except the brightness on a sunny day even with full brightness setting in idrive. I have RLS sensor hud version ready but do you suggest installing it now or after windshield replacement?

I changed the RLS sensor with a HUD one and it makes a hudge difference, it adapts itself now in brightness.

The only thing that the HUD windshield does is make what you see 1 image instead of 2 images slightly over each other witch makes it little blurry
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2020, 02:35 PM   #104
freespirit
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I changed the RLS sensor with a HUD one and it makes a hudge difference, it adapts itself now in brightness.

The only thing that the HUD windshield does is make what you see 1 image instead of 2 images slightly over each other witch makes it little blurry
Agreed on windshield part. I hear the rain sensor some times won't work properly after windshield replacement so if i fit the sensor now, should I buy one more after windshield replacement?

Appreciate 0
      05-31-2020, 04:20 AM   #105
deneyer
Second Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Agreed on windshield part. I hear the rain sensor some times won't work properly after windshield replacement so if i fit the sensor now, should I buy one more after windshield replacement?
My window got changed couple months ago before hud retrofit (otherwise would have put a hud shield)

So they allready changed the original sensor to another windshield, and i removed that sensor myself and changed it with the HUD sensore if you follow how to do it there are no problems.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2020, 02:10 AM   #106
LaNcE01
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: LR2,328i,GLC220d,LibertyGT

ok! Before I start another thread. seeing you guys seem to know whats going on with huds and whatnot. Ive got electrical gremlins in the vehicle at the moment which started with LCI tail upgrades. remove the battery, now my hud does not work. I have unticked it from the Idrive, but now I cannot tick it again! any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2020, 09:27 AM   #107
freespirit
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaNcE01 View Post
ok! Before I start another thread. seeing you guys seem to know whats going on with huds and whatnot. Ive got electrical gremlins in the vehicle at the moment which started with LCI tail upgrades. remove the battery, now my hud does not work. I have unticked it from the Idrive, but now I cannot tick it again! any ideas?
I saw this issue while retrofitting the hud. If the power supply is not happening to the hud, you won't be able to check the hud option in idrive. Check for power supply wire and blown out fuses.

Appreciate 0
      08-28-2020, 03:42 AM   #108
Saroo
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 335D

Anyone have or know where to find a how to with pictures for removing the dash?
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2020, 01:51 AM   #109
Doki_1
Rep
Drives: F32

Quote:
I read through this entire thread. My question is do I need a 6wb cluster for this to work on my f32? And which cables do I need fo an f32. Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2020, 01:41 PM   #110
deneyer
Second Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doki_1 View Post
I read through this entire thread. My question is do I need a 6wb cluster for this to work on my f32? And which cables do I need fo an f32. Thanks in advance
Workd with 6WA and 6WB if the cluster has HUD connection. The HUD cable is easy to find on ebay
Appreciate 0