F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > F32 to M4 Side Mirrors - Anyone Do This?
proTUNING Freaks

11-17-2017, 04:06 AM   #1
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep
Drives: F32 435ix MSport

Garage List
Question F32 to M4 Side Mirrors - Anyone Do This?

Looking to switch out my F32 side mirrors for the M4 versions, as I like the design better + looking for a change

Back in my E92 days this was a simple swap & PnP as long as you got mirrors with correct options

I would assume this would still be the case for F32 to M4 swap - just checking to make sure - anyone have experience doing this?

And if so, will M3 mirrors also fit the bill?

And NO, I don't want to simply use cheap fleabay mirror covers to attach to my F32 mirrors to 'simulate' M4 mirrors - do it the right way or stay home
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2017, 06:45 AM   #2
Kailec
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1QuikWS6 View Post
Looking to switch out my F32 side mirrors for the M4 versions, as I like the design better + looking for a change

Back in my E92 days this was a simple swap & PnP as long as you got mirrors with correct options

I would assume this would still be the case for F32 to M4 swap - just checking to make sure - anyone have experience doing this?

And NO, I don't want to simply use cheap fleabay mirror covers to attach to my F32 mirrors to 'simulate' M4 mirrors - do it the right way or stay home
I believe it is a simple but expensive swap. Not sure about the M3, though I'm sure realoem.com could tell you that. Look the same though.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2017, 12:27 PM   #3
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep

Garage List
Checked out realoem - M3 mirrors are all different P/N from M4 - which I pretty much assumed was gonna be the case. E92 vs E90 M3 mirrors were different & not interchangeable - it was the mounting stud pattern that was different...

So now I know I must go with M4 mirrors.

Not gonna go with new, I'll shop around & find some in good shape used - not in any great hurry

Just wanted to make sure that mounting pattern for M4 was same as F32 & that wire connectors are they same (on E92 there were 2 versions - (1) 3 pin & (1) 5 pin) so you had to know what your were getting)

Find it hard to believe no one in F3x crowd has done this swap - it was a favorite for E9x
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2017, 01:23 PM   #4
Kailec
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Checked out realoem - M3 mirrors are all different P/N from M4 - which I pretty much assumed was gonna be the case. E92 vs E90 M3 mirrors were different & not interchangeable - it was the mounting stud pattern that was different...

So now I know I must go with M4 mirrors.

Not gonna go with new, I'll shop around & find some in good shape used - not in any great hurry

Just wanted to make sure that mounting pattern for M4 was same as F32 & that wire connectors are they same (on E92 there were 2 versions - (1) 3 pin & (1) 5 pin) so you had to know what your were getting)

Find it hard to believe no one in F3x crowd has done this swap - it was a favorite for E9x
I know there have been 1 or 2 people, those who have done an F30 to F80 body conversion. But the reason why most don't is because the mirrors are $2k-3k USD to my recollection. That's a lot of money that could go towards most of the performance mods for your car.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2017, 07:48 PM   #5
kabrichx
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:

No, M3 and M4 mirrors have different attachment to body. Look at the windshield frame. You cannot mix.

Simple swap if you have exact same optional equipment as the F8x donor. Lots of luck with that! There are like 287 or so combinations.

And I guess you’ve priced out new parts separately? Depending on car options, the MSRP is close to $4k for the pair....more if you add in MP Carbon Fiber Covers.

And yes I’ve done swap from F80 to F30.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2017, 01:25 PM   #6
alf_17
Rep
Drives: 2017 F30 330i M-Sport

It looks like BMW offers official retrofit kits, but if you are looking at buying used it probably won't help you.

The links are to a german website.
https://www.leebmann24.de/bmw-ersatz...=03&bt=03_0760

https://www.leebmann24.de/bmw-ersatz...=03&bt=03_4003
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2017, 08:19 PM   #7
kabrichx
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alf_17 View Post
It looks like BMW offers official retrofit kits, but if you are looking at buying used it probably won't help you.

The links are to a german website.
https://www.leebmann24.de/bmw-ersatz...=03&bt=03_0760

https://www.leebmann24.de/bmw-ersatz...=03&bt=03_4003
That’s not an official BMW “retrofit” as the English understanding of retrofit. The word NACHRÜSTUNG has a different connotation in German.

It’s a list of replacement parts for a M82 Mirror repair, such as can be found on realoem.com.

You can verify this by putting in the last 7 of your F32 VIN and it will tell you that the parts are not compatible.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2017, 12:40 PM   #8
alf_17
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabrichx View Post
That’s not an official BMW “retrofit” as the English understanding of retrofit. The word NACHRÜSTUNG has a different connotation in German.

It’s a list of replacement parts for a M82 Mirror repair, such as can be found on realoem.com.

You can verify this by putting in the last 7 of your F32 VIN and it will tell you that the parts are not compatible.
Pretty weird that it is in the "Nachrüstung / Umrüstung / Zubehör" category as the only mirrors then. The regular mirrors are in the "Fahrzeugausstattung".
On a side note, as I copy pasted "Fahrzeugausstattung", my first try left me with an all caps text "FAHRZEUGAUSSTATTUNG"... German really is the angriest looking language in writing
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2017, 12:53 PM   #9
alf_17
Rep

Quote:

I just tried it again, by going from this page https://www.leebmann24.de/bmw-ersatz...ex/?series=f32 and selecting engine and spec of my old F32:
BMW 428i Coupé F32
ab Baujahr 07/2013
Modellcode 3N31
Motor N20
Getriebe N
Lenkung L

Then "Alle Kategorien" and "Nachrüstung / Umrüstung / Zubehör".
Selecting "Nachrüstung M Aussenspiegel" and entering the last 7 digits of the VIN for my old F32 which is "K327211" and I get confirmation for the parts which fits.
It is correct that I do not get confirmation for part 01 which is the complete mirror, but I get all the sub components 02, 03, 04, 05 and 06.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2017, 01:07 PM   #10
kabrichx
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I just tried it again, by going from this page https://www.leebmann24.de/bmw-ersatz...ex/?series=f32 and selecting engine and spec of my old F32:
BMW 428i Coupé F32
ab Baujahr 07/2013
Modellcode 3N31
Motor N20
Getriebe N
Lenkung L

Then "Alle Kategorien" and "Nachrüstung / Umrüstung / Zubehör".
Selecting "Nachrüstung M Aussenspiegel" and entering the last 7 digits of the VIN for my old F32 which is "K327211" and I get confirmation for the parts which fits.
It is correct that I do not get confirmation for part 01 which is the complete mirror, but I get all the sub components 02, 03, 04, 05 and 06.
Quote:
Leebman is not BMW, but a German Parts Company. They are no different than ECS or Turner in the USA, all of which assemble various parts as “retrofits” or “kits”. That does not make it an official BMW Retrofit.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2017, 01:41 AM   #11
Dang3r
Schmollbraten
Germany
Rep
Drives: M4CPC // HP4 Comp.

You could install M4 OEM side mirrors w/o any problems, just remove the door cover inside, the tweeter loudspeaker cover, remove the 3 bolts and exchange the mirrors.
Important is, that the substitutes would have the same (or more) features than your present installed. E.g. if you have surround view and the new ones hadnt, you have to code this out.
But: You wouldnt switch to lousy 3 series M3 mirrors, no?

Some say, that my scrotum has its own small gravity field and when Im slowing down that brake lights come on at my buttox
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2018, 11:32 AM   #12
Mousejunior
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 SMB 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:

Currently on sale if you are interested.

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1467733
Appreciate 1
1QuikWS61620.50
      02-27-2018, 06:46 PM   #13
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousejunior View Post
Currently on sale if you are interested.

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1467733
Funny you should mention that thread - I've been working a deal with those very same mirrors past couple days & just picked them up from Keith

They are in excellent condition & I got a great price

Stay tuned for the installed pics after I add a little more flair with some custom mirror caps that are unique
Appreciate 1
      05-01-2018, 03:00 PM   #14
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep

Garage List
Some quik installed pics with the new NWC Honeycomb CF Covers:

Appreciate 0
      05-02-2018, 01:33 PM   #15
KingpinRCR
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: F30 320d ed

Quote:

Do you speak german? My gues: no.
Nachrüstung litteraly means retrofit. If it was a replacementpart it would be ersatzteile.
Also, leebmann is an official bmw/mini dealer. Leebmann24 is just another site of them where they offer oem parts a little cheaper than the official bmw prices.
(This is his dealership website: http://www.bmw-leebmann.de/de/home/)
Salesafter is another example of an official dealer with an extra site to purchase oem parts outside of the dealership.
According to realoem there is an official retrofit for these mirrors:
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=03_0760

On topic: nice retrofit, i love cf but i’m not a big fan of the honeycomb. (Didn’t even know it existed)

Edit: just noticed the date...oops.
Appreciate 1
1QuikWS61620.50
      05-02-2018, 01:54 PM   #16
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep

Garage List
No problem - I actually just updated this post yesterday with some pics

If you wait for the right deal this can be done fairly cheaply

I paid $738 shipped for the correct M4 mirrors from a forum member for all my options (actually they have 1 more option than I needed in the Sideview cameras, but no biggie they just aren't used)

That's with the Euro Heated/Autodim Aspheric glass both sides. Mirrors are in perfect condition without a mark on them.

The CF covers are custom made by NWC using OEM mirror caps, laminated with the CF, vacuum bagged, multiple coats of UV clear polished between each

I like to have items on my car that no one else in my area has. I already had the OEM CF caps on my F32 mirrors, nothing special. So I decided to get something unique. Plus the price of them was less than the cost of OEM CF covers & that includes cost of base OEM covers
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2018, 02:09 PM   #17
KingpinRCR
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: F30 320d ed

Really, laminated? Nice fitment! I have some carbonfiber cloth, resin and loads of clearcoat. I was thinking of laminating my covers but wasn’t sure how that would look fitment wise. Maybe I should try it, I have spare covers anyway... not sure how it will turn out since I haven’t got the tools for vacuumbagging.
It definintely is a unique look, never saw it before. Kuddo’s to you for doing something else.
Appreciate 1
1QuikWS61620.50
      05-02-2018, 02:14 PM   #18
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep

Garage List
Yup, and best thing is they have 100% perfect fitment as they are made from OEM cores

The vacuum bagging is almost a must to get a perfect job - especially when part has multiple curves going on - the weave on these is perfect with no distortion. He can (and does) cover any part you want & he does deal with regular 2x2 or 1x1 twill CF
Appreciate 0