F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Long cranks and misfires N55 F30
ARMA SPEED

05-14-2021, 01:17 AM   #1
Felixrobb
Canada
Rep
Drives: Bmw F30 335i Xdrive

Long cranks and misfires N55 F30

Hi guys,

I Have a 2013 f30 335i xdrive. I did a lot of research on the problem that i have with my car and can't find a thread with someone who's car has the same symptoms as mine so I decided to create my own.

Since a couple of weeks/months, my car has had a problem of misfiring. It happens mostly/only at idle and when the car is warm. Plus, the less fuel i have in the tank, the worse the misfires gets. If i drive the car with the misfires for too long, the car will go into limp mode. When the car is cold i have barely any misfires. And on WOT there is no problem either, the car revs up properly with no issue.
Also, when i cold start the car, it quickly starts with no problem, but when the car is hot it has difficulty to start up and sometimes the start up dies and i have to start again. Usually when i start it up and i see it is struggling, i give it a little gas and it works, but then it will start to shake due to misfires... The misfires are mostly on cylinders 3 and 4.
Also, i can drive on the highway for 2 hours with no problem, but when i sit in traffic for 30minutes, misfires start to add up and finaly it goes into limp mode...

If i summarize:

Lower the fuel = worse misfires + hard to startup

Warmer the car = worse misfires + long cranks at startup

Long time on idle = limp mode

I know about cars but i am far from a pro! I think my problem is linked to the fuel system but wich part? LPFP? HPFP? Fuel pressure sensor? Or maybe it's the injectors?

What are your thoughts??

Thanks! (Sorry for my english, not my first language)
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2021, 01:27 AM   #2
Smonkbmw
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2013 x5 m57

Garage List
2013 BMW x5 35d  [0.00]
Any access to a code reader?
I'm not a tech but I agree sounds like fuel related to me as well.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2021, 09:05 AM   #3
5w20
@_sunbish
Rep
Drives: Bmw 435i & 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felixrobb View Post
Hi guys,

I Have a 2013 f30 335i xdrive. I did a lot of research on the problem that i have with my car and can't find a thread with someone who's car has the same symptoms as mine so I decided to create my own.

Since a couple of weeks/months, my car has had a problem of misfiring. It happens mostly/only at idle and when the car is warm. Plus, the less fuel i have in the tank, the worse the misfires gets. If i drive the car with the misfires for too long, the car will go into limp mode. When the car is cold i have barely any misfires. And on WOT there is no problem either, the car revs up properly with no issue.
Also, when i cold start the car, it quickly starts with no problem, but when the car is hot it has difficulty to start up and sometimes the start up dies and i have to start again. Usually when i start it up and i see it is struggling, i give it a little gas and it works, but then it will start to shake due to misfires... The misfires are mostly on cylinders 3 and 4.
Also, i can drive on the highway for 2 hours with no problem, but when i sit in traffic for 30minutes, misfires start to add up and finaly it goes into limp mode...

If i summarize:

I know about cars but i am far from a pro! I think my problem is linked to the fuel system but wich part? LPFP? HPFP? Fuel pressure sensor? Or maybe it's the injectors?

What are your thoughts??

Check the low side fuel pressure with a tool that's designed to do so, since you think it's fuel related. To me it sounds like a crank or cam sensor that's on its way out.
      05-14-2021, 10:19 AM   #4
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

You said "The misfires are mostly on cylinders 3 and 4." Did you swap those plugs and coils to other cylinders that are not having misfires and see if the problem followed them?
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2021, 10:33 AM   #5
Felixrobb
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smonkbmw View Post
Any access to a code reader?
I'm not a tech but I agree sounds like fuel related to me as well.
It doesnt throw any codes except cylinder misfires
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2021, 10:44 AM   #6
Felixrobb
Canada
Rep

These are the codes

140302 cylinder 3 harmful gas exhaust after starting
140402 cylinder 4 harmful gas exhaust after starting
140001 multiple cylinders injection switched off
140401 cylinder 4 injection switched off
140301 cylinder 3 injection switched off
140004 mulitple cylinders harmful gas exhaust
140304 cylinder 3 harmful to gas exhaust
140404 cylinder 4 harmful gas exhaust
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2021, 10:45 AM   #7
Felixrobb
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeremyman9 View Post
You said "The misfires are mostly on cylinders 3 and 4." Did you swap those plugs and coils to other cylinders that are not having misfires and see if the problem followed them?
Yes i will try that first and if its the case i will change all coils and plugs. But i changed them 2 years ago. Do they fail after 2 years typically?
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2021, 10:49 AM   #8
Felixrobb
Canada
Rep

How do i know/check if sensors are bad?
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2021, 05:20 PM   #9
5w20
@_sunbish
Rep
Drives: Bmw 435i & 340i

Quote:
Yes i will try that first and if its the case i will change all coils and plugs. But i changed them 2 years ago. Do they fail after 2 years typically?
My from my personal experience these cars eat plugs rather quickly. From 50k to 105k, I’ve installed 4 sets of plugs because of misfires.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2021, 07:48 PM   #10
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Quote:
Hi guys,

If i summarize:

What are your thoughts??

Quote:
These are the codes

140302 cylinder 3 harmful gas exhaust after starting
140402 cylinder 4 harmful gas exhaust after starting
140001 multiple cylinders injection switched off
140401 cylinder 4 injection switched off
140301 cylinder 3 injection switched off
140004 mulitple cylinders harmful gas exhaust
140304 cylinder 3 harmful to gas exhaust
140404 cylinder 4 harmful gas exhaust
Based on those codes, I'm more inclined to think it's a fueling issue.

However, an ignition issue is easier and cheaper for parts replacement initially.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2021, 09:27 AM   #11
Weslsew
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 35i

switch your 3 and 4 injectors with 1 and 2 and see if the misfires follow
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2021, 02:01 PM   #12
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weslsew View Post
Careful with that technique. You're supposed to replace both the sealing ring and teflon ring on the injector if you're reusing it. The teflon ring removal/install may require a special tool.

Also, the amount of time/labor required to remove the fuel injectors (compared to ignition coils/spark plugs), you might as well just replace the injectors.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2021, 02:43 PM   #13
exE36M3
BMW CCA Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i M Sport

How many miles on the car?
But before pulling injectors, check to see if the plug AND coils are fully seated and snug.
Hot and cold do interesting things to loose electrical connections.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2021, 06:27 PM   #14
Felixrobb
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo08816 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weslsew View Post
Careful with that technique. You're supposed to replace both the sealing ring and teflon ring on the injector if you're reusing it. The teflon ring removal/install may require a special tool.

Also, the amount of time/labor required to remove the fuel injectors (compared to ignition coils/spark plugs), you might as well just replace the injectors.
Yes thats why i first thought of switching coils and spark plugs and if nothing change i will grt new injectors.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2021, 11:58 PM   #15
a.noo
Rep
Drives: 2014 F30 335i xdrive

Do you see smoke coming from the exhaust? And do you smell a lot of fuel during those misfires? You can rule out the fuel pumps because that would affect all the cylinders more so than just 3 and 4. I'm inclined to believe it's either the fuel injectors, or coils/plugs to be the culprit.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2021, 02:53 PM   #16
Felixrobb
Canada
Rep

Soo, i changed all the spark plugs, cleaned the injectors and valves. Problem is still there, still only cylinder 3 and 4... I have a recall for my low pressure fuel pump, i took an appointment but i doubt that's the problem since my problem is located in only cylinder 3 and 4....

This problem is going to bleeeed my wallet :

Maybe its some sort of sensor that isn't working, but how can i pin point wich one is the issue...
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2021, 02:59 PM   #17
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Soo, i changed all the spark plugs, cleaned the injectors and valves. Problem is still there, still only cylinder 3 and 4... I have a recall for my low pressure fuel pump, i took an appointment but i doubt that's the problem since my problem is located in only cylinder 3 and 4....

Maybe its some sort of sensor that isn't working, but how can i pin point wich one is the issue...
Did you ever swap the coils from 3 and 4 with 1 and 2 to see if the problem follows the coil?
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2021, 03:03 PM   #18
Felixrobb
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Did you ever swap the coils from 3 and 4 with 1 and 2 to see if the problem follows the coil?
The coils are 1-2 years old so i didn't think it would be the problem, but i will swap them to see if the misfires follow...

Someone mentionned crank or camshaft sensor also, ill check that out too.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2021, 03:19 PM   #19
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
The coils are 1-2 years old so i didn't think it would be the problem, but i will swap them to see if the misfires follow...

Someone mentionned crank or camshaft sensor also, ill check that out too.
Well... regardless of age, swapping the coils to see if the misfire follows the coil is literally step 1 before you do anything else, especially before replacing parts on the car.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2021, 06:14 PM   #20
Felixrobb
Canada
Rep

Just went for a ride and got this code
[IMG][/IMG]
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-15-2021, 07:16 PM   #21
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
[IMG][/IMG]
I believe there are some basic things you can try for VANOS problems that involve cleaning parts, but i am not super familiar so you would need to search.

Also are you tuned with BM3? There have been a few examples recently of codes getting suppressed and/or weird codes being thrown only to have different codes be thrown when the tune was removed.

Finally... did you try swapping the coils yet?
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2021, 07:20 PM   #22
Felixrobb
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
[IMG][/IMG]
I believe there are some basic things you can try for VANOS problems that involve cleaning parts, but i am not super familiar so you would need to search.

Also are you tuned with BM3? There have been a few examples recently of codes getting suppressed and/or weird codes being thrown only to have different codes be thrown when the tune was removed.

Finally... did you try swapping the coils yet?
Alright ill check that out.

No the car is stock and always was.

Not yet but thats the first thing ill try.

Thanks for all your feedback!
Appreciate 0