F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > iDrive bluetooth android phone connection
GetBMWParts

05-14-2018, 11:13 AM   #1
Meat_Popsicle
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 330i F30

iDrive bluetooth android phone connection

Hi all,

I'm writing this post to put in one place the information I found in all corners of the Internet (well here, on reddit and on google's forums). It is not a new topic by any means so if I break some forum rules, my apologies.

Android phones and BMW's iDrive don't mix well together.

I have reach a consistent bluetooth connection between my Android phone and my car's iDrive.

My car: F30 2017 with a
My phone: Sony XZ1 running Nougat 8.0.0

What was wrong (for me anyway):

My phone could pair to the car. Address book would download to iDrive and calls can be made, no problem. Spotify would seem to play but no music could be heard. At all.

Technically, what seems to be wrong:

Bluetooth connection, like any other kind of connection, relies on a given protocol that both the sender (phone) and receiver (BMW's iDrive) need to implement. There are many bluetooth protocols but the one we care about here is called AVRCP.

Like any protocols of this kind, many versions exist. Each now version brings additional supported features.

With Android Nougat 8.0, a new AVRCP version is supported: version 1.6.
This version supports album artwork to be sent over bluetooth, playlist support.

However, either there is something wrong in Android's implementation of AVRCP 1.6 or it's BMW's implementation that is lacking or a combination of both.

How to fix (well, it worked for me anyway):

1- Update your iDrive software
A- Use the BMW Software Update website. You'll need your car's VIN.
B- Following's the instructions, it quite easy to update.
- Copy the update file to the root of a USB key
- Insert the USB key in the USB port located in the central armrest
- From the iDrive's menu, update it: My Vehicule > iDrive Settings > Software Update
- As it prompts, after the update, turn off your car, lock it (to shutdown iDrive) and then voila!
2- Enable "Developer Mode" on your Android phone
(No worries, it only allows you to configure a lot more options on your phone. If you don't mess with them, your phone still behaves the exact same way)

This website tells you how to enable developer mode:
- Go to Settings > About phone (can be About device) > Build number
- Tap seven (7) times on Build number
(my phone starts to give me a count down to developer mode after a few taps)
- Once developer mode is enabled, there is a new menu in Settings > System, called Developer Options
3- Change the AVRCP version
(on my phone, I have AVRCP 1.4 (default), AVRCP 1.5 and AVRCP 1.6. 1.6 is selected already)
- Go to Settings > System > Developer Options > scroll until you find "Bluetooth AVRCP Version"
- Select AVRCP 1.5
4- Remove Bluetooh services from your phone's battery optimisation management
(on my phone, it's more about creating an exception for those services)

One of the issues is that after a while (and it's difficult to pinpoint when exactly), the bluetooth connection can fail in some ways. This may be due to the fact that the phone's bluetooth services' performance are reduced to prolong battery life. This change may alter their behaviour and iDrive is ill-equipped to support it. So, by making sure those services provide their full performance, we must disable their battery optimisation.
- Go to Settings > Battery
(from there, it may be different depending on your phone's manufacturer)
- Select Power saving exceptions

Make sure to select the following two services and make sure they aren't battery optimized anymore
- Select Bluetooth and Bluetooth MIDI Service
What is working, really:

It's not magic and does not provide support like Android Auto does. It allows to hear the music, basic in-car control (previous, next track) and that's basically it. So, you still need to choose the album/playlist from your phone.
However, with the above fix, the connection of my android phone to my car is consistent and reliable.

Any side effect?!

Well, using AVRCP 1.5 on your phone for your car will also use that version with any other device you may connect your phone to listen to music. If that device is sophisticated enough to use version 1.6, you won't benefit from the additional features (album artwork, playlist support).

Removing the bluetooth services from battery optimisation management may consume more power and therefore possibly affect battery life. Personally, I haven't experienced a noticeable battery life degradation since I made the modifications.

Last edited by Meat_Popsicle; 05-14-2018 at 11:52 AM..
Appreciate 1
      05-14-2018, 01:54 PM   #2
Mashman
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93

I've used both Android (Samsung S5, S6 and S7's) and Iphone's 4S, and 6, with Idrive (2015 NBT) and (2017 Evo), and have found that the Android phone's have a problem with Apps, and Iphones have a problem with office.

Both Android and Iphone have no problem with telephone functionality.

With the Android all office functionality worked perfect, I got notifications for both texts, and emails, I could read them (coding to allow full text), I could have them read to me (kind of useless), and I could dictate new texts, or emails. With my Iphone, I could never get this to work.

For Apps, the Iphone worked much better, and the Android phones were kind of hit or miss.

My solution was to get an Ipod Touch, and leave it in the car. I have an unlimited data plan, so I setup the Ipod to automatically connect to the hotspot on my S7. So, the Ipod is used for Apps, and the S7 is used for everything else.

I could close it but I feel doing so would be a victory for the thieves....
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2019, 05:25 AM   #3
kevinwcm
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 320D

I have realized the battery management issues are prominent in Huawei's phone. I don't face it in Samsung but once I changed to Huawei, it's battery management is really extreme.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2021, 09:34 AM   #4
Stesimf
Rep
Drives: bmwf30

I think the company should hire IoT developers to solve these software problems. Because on some devices, crashes are critical.

Last edited by Stesimf; 09-27-2021 at 12:51 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2021, 11:27 AM   #5
CarFan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5 3.5 Premium

Garage List
My problem is a little different. I've been using the casting feature for the last couple of years. Essentially it shows Android Auto on the screen and all input control happens on the phone instead of using the dial. It's quite good for long trips.

Android Auto has changed the default setting which is a little annoying (meaning that instead of opening automatically in map mode it starts with music, phone, and weather mode). I know they are phasing it out so that's not really my issue.

My issue is that I stream SiriusXM as the music app on Android Auto. And for the last 60 days something strange has happened. The music stops when you turn off the car as normal, but about 3 mins later it starts back up (very loudly) and by then the screen is locked and in your pocket so you have to quickly retrieve it and unlock the phone, open the music app and turn the music off.

My question is why is this happening and what could be done to stop this? In any other vehicle -- with android auto or not -- when the vehicle (X5, Nissan Titan, Chrysler 300, and Mercedes e400) is turned off the music stops.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2024, 09:26 AM   #6
Avex
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: F22 M235i AW

sorry for resurrecting this thread, just replaced my samsung s22 with a s24 and i now have bluetooth problems.

the s24 will have the issues described above. I can even control spotify tracks using my steering wheel buttons but just no audio!

AVCRP is default to 1.5 on both my s24 and my s22 which worked perfectly fine.

anyone experience similar have a solution?
Appreciate 0