F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Alloy Wheel corrosion
GetBMWParts

08-09-2019, 07:12 AM   #1
F20MAW73
440i Gran Coupe, Auto
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 440i GC

Anyone had much luck getting their wheels replaced under warranty as mine are showing signs of corrosion around the centre of all 3 out of 4 alloys.

I'm going to see the warranty manager tomorrow morning but don't want to get fobbed off. So would like to armed with something in case in regard to this.

I'll give the car a good clean before going.

My 440i GC is comming up for 3 years old in October.
Attached Images

08-09-2019, 07:28 AM   #2
Norris-wf
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: f31 335d

I had one corroded (similar to your picture 3) and it was replaced last month under warranty - no issues at all. They did say they might be reluctant to put the same tyres back on the new wheel as they were getting low, so I agreed to get two new tyres at the same time. It took them about a week to get a new wheel ordered from Germany and all sorted. This was main dealer in Edinburgh. Similar age to yours, 3 years coming up in September
Appreciate 2
F20MAW73876.50
Pequin230.00
      08-09-2019, 08:46 AM   #3
F20MAW73
440i Gran Coupe, Auto
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norris-wf View Post
I had one corroded (similar to your picture 3) and it was replaced last month under warranty - no issues at all. They did say they might be reluctant to put the same tyres back on the new wheel as they were getting low, so I agreed to get two new tyres at the same time. It took them about a week to get a new wheel ordered from Germany and all sorted. This was main dealer in Edinburgh. Similar age to yours, 3 years coming up in September
Thats great to know - thank you
      08-09-2019, 08:47 AM   #4
jozza66
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 335dx

I had 4 replaced at Vines in Guildford recently - did have to make a 20% contribution to one replacement due to "excessive damage" - light kerbing tbh. No arguments, and very quickly resolved.
Current car: F31 335d - NBT EVO ID6 retrofit, 3AG retrofit, Coded EBT, Deleted RFTs!!
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2019, 09:50 AM   #5
sensible
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 420i M-Sport Gran Coupe

Yes, had one replaced under warranty and one replaced under 'goodwill' 7 months out of warranty. It's a well known problem so you should get them replaced easily under warranty, as long as they have not been refurbished.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2019, 11:16 AM   #6
fuzzybunny
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Orange F33 435dx Convertible

I had all four replaced, similar corrosion to yours. May depend on the dealer, mine was in Yeovil. Think they have to take a video now and send it back to head office for approval. Why do BMW keep producing such naff wheels, they must have had to replace thousands of them! You would think the Germans would have more sense!
      08-09-2019, 12:15 PM   #7
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzybunny View Post
I had all four replaced, similar corrosion to yours. May depend on the dealer, mine was in Yeovil. Think they have to take a video now and send it back to head office for approval. Why do BMW keep producing such naff wheels, they must have had to replace thousands of them! You would think the Germans would have more sense!
Its quite simply a diamond cut issue. No one has produced corrosion free DC alloys.

Why do they fit them? Car sales, punters are like magpies, they like shiny things.
Appreciate 1
LobB5109.00
      08-09-2019, 01:26 PM   #8
Pequin
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Enthusiastically

Hi over the last 5 years I have had 6 wheels replaced under warranty with no issues at all, apart from the faff that they insist on having the car for a few hours.

If the car is in warranty, the wheel is otherwise in good condition and there is minimal kerbing there will (should) be absolutely no issue. If there is, a quick call to BMW customer service [08003256000] should see you with a new shiny set of new wheels.

The issue to watch out for, is when the replaced wheels corrode, as we all know the will, you may be faced with the concept of warranty replaced wheels are not covered by a warranty. Repeat the process and you should be fine, etc ad infinitum. Until your car warranty runs out.
      08-09-2019, 03:47 PM   #9
Brobbo
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 320D Msport

I've had two replaced 6 months ago.
Another one is getting done next week, they tried it on this time though saying that they can see where it's been repainted during a refurb....

They are diamond cuts 🤦*♂️
After stating that it was bought from a bmw dealer and being an ex bmw car, the dealer decided they will pay for it.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2019, 04:07 PM   #10
F20MAW73
440i Gran Coupe, Auto
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks for all the feedback.

It looks like I have a good chance of BMW replacing the wheels then. The car will be going in a months as I am getting a Z4 M40i. However, I may decide to sell my current car privately therefore it would be good to have perfect alloys.
LobB5109.00
      08-09-2019, 06:19 PM   #11
gippy
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F32 440i, pre-LCI, w/MPPSK

Quote:
Originally Posted by F20MAW73 View Post
Thanks for all the feedback.

It looks like I have a good chance of BMW replacing the wheels then. The car will be going in a months as I am getting a Z4 M40i. However, I may decide to sell my current car privately therefore it would be good to have perfect alloys.
do let me know how it goes as i'm having to battle with sytner leicester over this - and my wheels are a carbon copy of yours, my End of warranty check is in september. I made my own thread!
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1627001

First they refused, saying my wheels had already been refurbished. I called bullshit, as 1. no mention of it on the AUC report. 2. was never told at point of sale. After some back and forth they then said "ok we'll refurb them for you". I again said 'nope....i want new wheels'. And now they are showing signs they are happy to send the pics off to BMW UK and see what they say. To be fair to them at least the final bloke i'm dealing with there has been making an effort and i've finally gained traction with them.
I haven't kerbed any of my wheels so lets see what they do.

who knows what will happen. Maybe this will backfire, BMW UK will say no not interested, and I won't even get the free refurb they originally offered! To be honest i've given up caring....my only concern is that the corrosion doesn't affect the structural integrity of the wheels (does anyone know?) - and if there's any danger of that i suppose i'll get them refurbed, and powder coated - although i do really like that 'shiny metal' look so i dont know what my options are in that regard, if its even possible to keep that look after powder coating.

let me know how your claim goes.

Last edited by gippy; 08-09-2019 at 06:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2019, 01:50 AM   #12
Alscoob
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G31 540i M Sport Edition

On my previous car I had 2 rear 403m's replace at the end of warranty check no questions asked, for the exact same corrosion as the OP's.
Appreciate 2
Pequin230.00
LobB5109.00
      08-10-2019, 01:29 PM   #13
F20MAW73
440i Gran Coupe, Auto
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alscoob View Post
On my previous car I had 2 rear 403m's replace at the end of warranty check no questions asked, for the exact same corrosion as the OP's.
So went over to see the chap this morning at my local dealership (Vines @ Crawley, West Sussex) that runs the body shop and he agrees its likely a corrosion defect and it will therefore be a warranty issue as we all know.

He advised I now need to book the car in with them so they can do an inspection video to send off to BMW so they can authorise the new wheels under warranty.
      08-10-2019, 02:11 PM   #14
sensible
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
So went over to see the chap this morning at my local dealership (Vines @ Crawley, West Sussex) that runs the body shop and he agrees its likely a corrosion defect and it will therefore be a warranty issue as we all know.

He advised I now need to book the car in with them so they can do an inspection video to send off to BMW so they can authorise the new wheels under warranty.
Yes, that's the standard procedure. If BMW authorise quickly they will often fit them the same day.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2019, 11:47 AM   #15
F20MAW73
440i Gran Coupe, Auto
United Kingdom
Rep

UPDATE

My car went in for the inspection report today on the alloy wheel corrosion and BMW warranty have agreed all alloys wheels for replacement.

So its booked in for a complete set of new alloys next Friday. Which is good for the next owner as I will be selling the car very soon. A nice selling point also.
      08-29-2019, 01:31 PM   #16
Panchoa
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 330d M Sport

Quote:
UPDATE

My car went in for the inspection report today on the alloy wheel corrosion and BMW warranty have agreed all alloys wheels for replacement.

So its booked in for a complete set of new alloys next Friday. Which is good for the next owner as I will be selling the car very soon. A nice selling point also.
Is the car under the 3 year warranty period or the extended warranty? I have the same issue but was told by sytner notts that they would only contribute to them ie i pay £600 as mine is under extended warranty and not the 3 year warranty!!
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2019, 02:05 PM   #17
F20MAW73
440i Gran Coupe, Auto
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panchoa View Post
Is the car under the 3 year warranty period or the extended warranty? I have the same issue but was told by sytner notts that they would only contribute to them ie i pay £600 as mine is under extended warranty and not the 3 year warranty!!
My car is just within the 3 year warranty period.

I expected a battle with this so pleased it was agreed so quickly.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2019, 12:42 PM   #18
Bigal1111111
Registered
Rep
Drives: F30

Car was in for mot and end of warranty check last week. Mentioned to the girl about corrosion on the alloys . Phone call later asking if I could leave the car so they could replace all 4 alloys the next day . Parks of Hamilton BMW . Well pleased with the service .
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2019, 12:51 PM   #19
mikeoz
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40d LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigal1111111 View Post
Car was in for mot and end of warranty check last week. Mentioned to the girl about corrosion on the alloys . Phone call later asking if I could leave the car so they could replace all 4 alloys the next day . Parks of Hamilton BMW . Well pleased with the service .
Thats pretty much most peoples experience. I had 3 replaced recently no problems. Clear issue with the manufacturing process with these wheels.
Glad you had a good service only heard one person on here of late that had issues getting them replaced..
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2019, 02:37 PM   #20
Panchoa
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Think if you extended warranty they arent covered from what i have gathered unless someone has had a different experience????
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2019, 03:37 PM   #21
sensible
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panchoa View Post
Think if you extended warranty they arent covered from what i have gathered unless someone has had a different experience????
They are covered for 3 years under the manufacturer's warranty. Extended warranty does not cover the wheels. I did have extended warranty.

However, you can get wheels replaced under 'goodwill'. I approached the dealer with my car that was 7 months out of warranty. I had owned the car from new with a full BMW service history and 36,000 miles. The wheel had no other damage other than two areas of white worm around the centre cap. This was videoed and sent to BMW. They approved a replacement wheel free of charge, but I had to pay £100 labour charge.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2019, 04:18 PM   #22
Panchoa
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensible View Post
They are covered for 3 years under the manufacturer's warranty. Extended warranty does not cover the wheels. I did have extended warranty.

However, you can get wheels replaced under 'goodwill'. I approached the dealer with my car that was 7 months out of warranty. I had owned the car from new with a full BMW service history and 36,000 miles. The wheel had no other damage other than two areas of white worm around the centre cap. This was videoed and sent to BMW. They approved a replacement wheel free of charge, but I had to pay £100 labour charge.
Cheers. Car is actually up for sale now but think i am going to try again at bmw notts to see if anything can be done......no harm in asking again!!
Appreciate 0