F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Any chance BMW will activate full screen CarPlay for iOS 13?
GetBMWParts

09-08-2019, 08:31 PM   #1
Jivedonkey
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 330E

Any chance BMW will activate full screen CarPlay for iOS 13?

Hoping to avoid going aftermarket activation for full screen CarPlay as my car is a lease; sounds like the aftermarket path is a bit more permanent.

Anyone think there is any chance BMW would activate full screen CarPlay for existing systems after iOS 13 releases?
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2019, 08:43 AM   #2
ooshnoo
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 428i and 2018 X5

Garage List
2018 BMW X5  [0.00]
2014 BMW 428i  [10.00]
It doesn't matter what we think. We have no control over it.

09-20-2019, 01:33 PM   #3
wilbur_the_goose
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 330ix Gran Turismo

By the way, I've been running iOS 13 Car Play on my Honda Civic. I think Apple finally completed Car Play - I actually enjoy it now.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2019, 08:51 AM   #4
Encanto
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jivedonkey View Post
Hoping to avoid going aftermarket activation for full screen CarPlay as my car is a lease; sounds like the aftermarket path is a bit more permanent.

Anyone think there is any chance BMW would activate full screen CarPlay for existing systems after iOS 13 releases?
Full-screen CarPlay is a matter of iDrive firmware version, not of remote update like the map data.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2019, 09:10 PM   #5
GenXer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a bat out of hell.

Garage List
iOS13 Carplay in my other vehicles allow split screen for navigation and music but it defaults to Apple map. It won't do that for Waze or other navigation app.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2019, 01:24 AM   #6
steve@codemybimmer
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Hong Kong
Rep

Drives: 2020 G20 320i M Sport

Garage List
If you open your map version screen and it says N, O,P, Q or R after NBTevo_XXXXX it's possible to install a patch to enable Fullscreen Apple CarPlay through an aftermarket solution. Unfortunately, this is not available through official BMW channels.
Online Store | Remote Coding Package| ID6 Retrofit for almost all F Chassis BMWs
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2019, 03:02 PM   #7
dianebrat
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 orange x2 xDrive28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve@codemybimmer View Post
If you open your map version screen and it says N, O,P, Q or R after NBTevo_XXXXX it's possible to install a patch to enable Fullscreen Apple CarPlay through an aftermarket solution. Unfortunately, this is not available through official BMW channels.
I take that mean that ENTRYNAV2 owners are currently out of luck on this one?

Since i know if I change the very appealing "carplay fullscreen = aktiv" all I get is a stretched image not more real estate.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2019, 07:55 AM   #8
Zorn
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 F36 430i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encanto View Post
Full-screen CarPlay is a matter of iDrive firmware version, not of remote update like the map data.
Pretty sure that's not true, as I recently had BMW fully update my car's firmware (for the express purpose of doing the fullscreen CarPlay thing) and when I got it back from the dealer, my car was on the newest firmware as of September and there was no fullscreen CarPlay until I bought the patch.

I believe what the patch does is modify one file that tells iDrive the screen resolution is higher. BMW absolutely could enable this via update, but their software update policy is "buy new car".
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2019, 08:48 AM   #9
steve@codemybimmer
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Hong Kong
Rep

Drives: 2020 G20 320i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
I take that mean that ENTRYNAV2 owners are currently out of luck on this one?

Since i know if I change the very appealing "carplay fullscreen = aktiv" all I get is a stretched image not more real estate.
ENTRYNAV2 can't be accessed via SSH like on NBT2 so I don't think there's going to be a solution for it any time soon.

These aftermarket solutions access the QNX portion of the head unit and changes an INI file that manages the resolution of Apple CarPlay. Just coding fullscreen carplay to aktiv will only give you the result you describe.
Online Store | Remote Coding Package| ID6 Retrofit for almost all F Chassis BMWs
Appreciate 1
dianebrat109.50
      09-27-2019, 02:04 PM   #10
Encanto
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

The patch or coding only works if the firmware is updated to version N or later. So the firmware version does determine the CarPlay capability of full screen. That you have to code/patch it to work is another matter. No need to buy a new car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorn View Post
Pretty sure that's not true, as I recently had BMW fully update my car's firmware (for the express purpose of doing the fullscreen CarPlay thing) and when I got it back from the dealer, my car was on the newest firmware as of September and there was no fullscreen CarPlay until I bought the patch.

I believe what the patch does is modify one file that tells iDrive the screen resolution is higher. BMW absolutely could enable this via update, but their software update policy is "buy new car".
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2019, 07:53 AM   #11
Zorn
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 F36 430i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encanto View Post
The patch or coding only works if the firmware is updated to version N or later. So the firmware version does determine the CarPlay capability of full screen. That you have to code/patch it to work is another matter. No need to buy a new car.
Right - I was being somewhat facetious just to make the point that BMW will never enable this feature via official update, it will always have to be done by patch. Their view is pretty much if you want it, you can buy a car with iDrive 6.1 or whatever version has it enabled, even though that's completely arbitrary.
Appreciate 0