F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > I crashed: Streeing Rack, Tie rods, Knuckles, control arm gone. Need advice
Studio RSR

10-14-2021, 09:21 AM   #67
adilakif
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30lolz View Post
Damn OP, I would be livid. Something like that shouldn’t slip through the cracks by a shop. As others have stated, I would bring the car back but I would demand for a loaner and for this to be corrected. However, don’t act like a clown but be firm with the manager/foreman, etc…. Hopefully you’ll get this resolved w/o any further issues. Keep us posted.
I added a video of the crickets noise to the post. (Noise number 1)

Appreciate 0
      10-14-2021, 09:31 AM   #68
adilakif
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
That definitely doesn’t sound good. Definitely take it back. Most of the time insurance companies provide a some level of warranty to repairs made.
I am trying to secure a loaner car hopefully I am going back there today.

I added a video of cricket sound coming from the wheel. Could that be brake pads related? 8000 miles left on the pads according to the info on the screen. I had absolutely no noise before the accident. I don't even know if that's how it sounds if it was brake pads but I am trying to make sense of this. Hopefully it's the Wheel Bearings and they can change both sides.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2021, 10:12 AM   #69
heifetz17
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarianride View Post
Some insurance may send $5k check to customer, but accepting the check is technically settling the claim.
This is a myth. Insurance companies have a contract with their insureds, not the shop. Technically speaking the claim payment is always due to the insured, but the insured can elect to have the payment sent to the shop directly. Accepting claim payment is not automatic agreement to settle the claim, and the insurance is obligated to restore the car to pre-loss condition, regardless of who accepted payment, when the vehicle is currently at the shop getting repairs done.

Often insurance will pay those supplement payments directly to the shop, so the insured isn't always involved in supplemental damages.
      10-14-2021, 11:35 AM   #70
bavarianride
Major General
Rep
Drives: bimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by heifetz17 View Post
This is a myth. Insurance companies have a contract with their insureds, not the shop. Technically speaking the claim payment is always due to the insured, but the insured can elect to have the payment sent to the shop directly. Accepting claim payment is not automatic agreement to settle the claim, and the insurance is obligated to restore the car to pre-loss condition, regardless of who accepted payment, when the vehicle is currently at the shop getting repairs done.

Often insurance will pay those supplement payments directly to the shop, so the insured isn't always involved in supplemental damages.
In CA the law of accordance and satisfaction does apply when cashing check/receiving electronic payment marked as "payment in full" or similar, so insured needs to be aware.

For one, my insurer did attempt to zelle me payment with cover letter stating "payment in full" and such, so I declined.

It is true even closed cases can be reopened but I wanted the shop and insurer to work directly with no extra effort on my part to reopen(etc, etc).

https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/f...ectionNum=1526.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2021, 12:53 PM   #71
heifetz17
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

In CA the law of accordance and satisfaction does apply when cashing check/receiving electronic payment marked as "payment in full" or similar, so insured needs to be aware.

For one, my insurer did attempt to zelle me payment with cover letter stating "payment in full" and such, so I declined.

It is true even closed cases can be reopened but I wanted the shop and insurer to work directly with no extra effort on my part to reopen(etc, etc).

https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/f...67;ionNum=1526.
I'll read through that, thank you. Admittedly I'm not familiar with California laws!
      10-14-2021, 01:00 PM   #72
bavarianride
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I'll read through that, thank you. Admittedly I'm not familiar with California laws!
Yeah many states(including MT) have similar accordance and satisfaction codes as well, so buyers beware.

https://leg.mt.gov/bills/mca/title_0...0030-0110.html
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2021, 01:01 PM   #73
adilakif
Private
Rep

Quote:

https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/f...ectionNum=1526.
Yes. This is what's going to happen on my case. I have dropped off my car again. BMW said they will reopen the case with the insurance.

I was able to recreate all 4 noises during the test drive. Mechanic confirmed he heard all of them. They also took notes when we got back to the dealership. They gave me a loaner car this time, so it's going to be less stressful.

Mechanic identified one of the noises (on Highway, above 60mph,louder when turning the steering wheel) as coming from the wheel bearing. He couldn't identify the rest. The steering wheel squeaking noise might be another replacement of a part (I am thinking a new rack).
Appreciate 2
F30lolz6798.50
      10-14-2021, 08:02 PM   #74
F30lolz
I can haz cheezburger?
Rep
Drives: 14 Sahara/08 335xi/22 Maverick

Garage List
Glad they gave you a loaner as Uber rides can get expensive.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2021, 10:21 PM   #75
heifetz17
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Yeah many states(including MT) have similar accordance and satisfaction codes as well, so buyers beware.

https://leg.mt.gov/bills/mca/title_0...0030-0110.html
Usually what happens is the insurance company will close a claim, not settle it. A settled claim will usually have no further payments or supplements. Claims can be auto-closed by inactivity, and are reopened during the repair process for supplements and additional damage. The vast majority of my clients accept their insurance checks and in turn pay that amount toward their repairs, and insurance pays me the remainder. It doesn't complicate the process at all if the insured or claimant accepts and deposits the original check, unless they elect not to have the repairs done at all, in which case, as you said, the claim will settle and there will be no further payments.
      10-15-2021, 12:31 AM   #76
bavarianride
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Usually what happens is the insurance company will close a claim, not settle it. A settled claim will usually have no further payments or supplements. Claims can be auto-closed by inactivity, and are reopened during the repair process for supplements and additional damage. The vast majority of my clients accept their insurance checks and in turn pay that amount toward their repairs, and insurance pays me the remainder. It doesn't complicate the process at all if the insured or claimant accepts and deposits the original check, unless they elect not to have the repairs done at all, in which case, as you said, the claim will settle and there will be no further payments.
In practice the insurer likes to keep customers happy by being flexible and lenient on this aspect, but the letter of the code is pretty clean cut.

E.g. in CA, as shown in previously attached link, once a notice is sent, the insurer can issue a check from 15-90 days of the notice. \

Once that check is cashed, the case is settled(i.e. insurer is released from the claim) per accordance and satisfaction code..

That notice is often sent once the claim is filed, and then after 15 days, the insurer can zelle payment to your account and satisfy their obligation in full.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2021, 07:58 AM   #77
adilakif
Private
Rep

BMW says noises caused by Front struts and rear-wheel bearings... What do rear-wheel bearings have to do with front end accident? Noises are coming from the front..
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2021, 12:56 PM   #78
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

Maybe some of the noises were there previously? Sometimes you don't notice things until you start trying to notice them.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2021, 01:12 PM   #79
adilakif
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wires View Post
Maybe some of the noises were there previously? Sometimes you don't notice things until you start trying to notice them.
Noises are so loud that it's impossible not to hear. I am sure that they weren't there before the accident. Car has very low mileage and I didn't have any issues with any parts before the accident. I guess I also damaged the rear when I crashed. It could be true, it was a pretty serious impact.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2021, 09:09 AM   #80
jd_perspective
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X3 35i M-Sport

Am I the only one here in shock over the deductible? $2000 wowsers!
I can't imagine you're really saving that much money going to such a high deductible. My policy it wasn't even worth it to do $1k so my collision is only $500 and comp like $50.

2019 440i Coupe M-Sport - Retired
2018 330i Sedan M-Sport - Retired
2015 428i Gran Coupe M-Sport - Retired
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2021, 01:33 PM   #81
adilakif
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd_perspective View Post
Am I the only one here in shock over the deductible? $2000 wowsers!
I can't imagine you're really saving that much money going to such a high deductible. My policy it wasn't even worth it to do $1k so my collision is only $500 and comp like $50.
I chose $2k thinking any damage below that amount I would pay out of pocket. Main reason is I don't want them to increase my premium. I don't want to use insurance if I can afford to pay the repairs with my own money.

I pay $350 per 6 months to Geico. I don't know if/how this will change next term because of the accident. Second repair got approved today. Total Cost of repair is at $11,350 currently. Car's value before covid was $11k.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2021, 06:34 PM   #82
bavarianride
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by adilakif View Post
I chose $2k thinking any damage below that amount I would pay out of pocket. Main reason is I don't want them to increase my premium. I don't want to use insurance if I can afford to pay the repairs with my own money.

I pay $350 per 6 months to Geico. I don't know if/how this will change next term because of the accident. Second repair got approved today. Total Cost of repair is at $11,350 currently. Car's value before covid was $11k.
What are included in the 2nd repair? Has the adjuster hinted on the current ACV of your car?
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2021, 07:44 AM   #83
adilakif
Private
Rep

Quote:
What are included in the 2nd repair? Has the adjuster hinted on the current ACV of your car?
He didn't mention ACV at all. Approved this repair very fast. Front and rear suspension parts are being replaced:

View post on imgur.com
Appreciate 1
      10-22-2021, 07:46 AM   #84
F30lolz
I can haz cheezburger?
Rep

Garage List
Nice, hopefully they’ll triple check their work this time. What loaner have you been rocking around lately?
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2021, 08:00 AM   #85
adilakif
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30lolz View Post
Nice, hopefully they’ll triple check their work this time. What loaner have you been rocking around lately?
They gave me a 2021 330i xDrive. I like it but everything feels different. I think I like my car better to be honest.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2021, 06:23 PM   #86
adilakif
Private
Rep

UPDATE 11/11/2021

I went to pick up the car for the second time today. I test drove it before returning the loaner car. 2 of the 4 noises are fixed. Loudest noise is still there (cricket like noise). They lied to me again about road testing the car and not hearing any noises. The noise is so loud that it is impossible not to hear as you can see in the video. Also last month the mechanic drove the car with me and confirmed the existence of all the noises.

My advisor left today before I arrived there, they will call me tomorrow. I am having a terrible time with this stealership but I don't know what to do at this point. I and insurance already spent $11k on an 8-year-old BMW.

BMW knew this car should have been totaled from the start. But they decided to milk it by fixing it partially and forcing insurance's hand. I don't recommend anybody going to Morristown BMW in NJ. I don’t know what I can do at this point.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2021, 02:08 AM   #87
bavarianride
Major General
Rep

Quote:
UPDATE 11/11/2021

I went to pick up the car for the second time today. I test drove it before returning the loaner car. 2 of the 4 noises are fixed. Loudest noise is still there (cricket like noise). They lied to me again about road testing the car and not hearing any noises. The noise is so loud that it is impossible not to hear as you can see in the video. Also last month the mechanic drove the car with me and confirmed the existence of all the noises.

My advisor left today before I arrived there, they will call me tomorrow. I am having a terrible time with this stealership but I don't know what to do at this point. I and insurance already spent $11k on an 8-year-old BMW.

BMW knew this car should have been totaled from the start. But they decided to milk it by fixing it partially and forcing insurance's hand. I don't recommend anybody going to Morristown BMW in NJ. I don’t know what I can do at this point.
I would say insurance took a bet that 1st $7k was enough, so don't worry(yet) insurance spending $11k up to this point.

Unfortunately BMW of Morristown is not CCRC(BMW of Springfield is CCRC). The service department of non-CCRC may not have enough experience to deal with collision repair, and may miss critical clues/hints of hidden issues(e.g. any twisted mount points?).

It is likely too late to switch shop at this point, so my thinking is to press dealer hard given $11k repair should still come with 2 years/unlimited warranty parts + labor.

Another point to note is that, a repair even from the CCRC/best shop is still a restoration hoping to match factory spec, but there is no guarantee of repeating work done by robots in the factory, and that is a fact of life.

And a shop estimator that does right thing for the car(e.g. total the car instead of milking customer/insurance) is a hero of the industry.

Best of luck!
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2021, 07:47 AM   #88
F30lolz
I can haz cheezburger?
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
UPDATE 11/11/2021

Very unfortunate and frustrating for you OP. They’ll have to fix it correctly but seems like there’s some incompetence/lack of communication going on within that department. I would speak to the GM of the dealership if I were you. ‘Lettuce’ know and GL.
Appreciate 0