F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > 10.25" Android 9.0 HU discussion
Studio RSR

07-28-2020, 03:26 PM   #3565
Bc420i
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 420i F32

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedErik View Post
Go to the first page of this thread and download the latest Android version for your unit. Then follow this procedure:

This should bring your unit back to stock.

What is OTA, the latest firmware?

Thanks btw
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2020, 03:39 PM   #3566
micdarau85
Rep
Drives: bmw 318d msport edition

is there a way that we can split screen ?!
i have the px6 screen not the

regardin the bluetooth ... i solved ... i just ordered a wifi adapter
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2020, 03:43 PM   #3567
Bc420i
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Go to the first page of this thread and download the latest Android version for your unit. Then follow this procedure:

This should bring your unit back to stock.
I've tried using the firmware file and renaming it after I unzipped it.

And then put it in the USB and turned the car on

It hasn't said anything about upgrading

So i must be going wrong somewhere?
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2020, 04:53 PM   #3568
RedErik
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: E63 645Ci

Garage List
2004 E63 645Ci  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bc420i View Post
What is OTA, the latest firmware?

Thanks btw
OTA means over the air updated. This is how your phone is receiving updated... funnily enough, it's not the case on our units anyway.

Quote:
I've tried using the firmware file and renaming it after I unzipped it.

And then put it in the USB and turned the car on

It hasn't said anything about upgrading

So i must be going wrong somewhere?
  • Get your updated file (usually called Ksw-P-Userdebug_OS_vX.X.X-ota.zip) and rename in to: Ksw-Q-Userdebug_OS_v-ota-reset-data_factory.zip and DO NOT UNZIP IT
  • Format USB stick with FAT32 file system
  • Rename your USB stick to _kswota_
  • Put your ZIP file in the root directory of the USB stick
  • Plug in to the Android Head Unit and turn the ignition on
  • Wait for update to finish
  • Check if everything works
Appreciate 1
Kri1083.50
      07-28-2020, 05:01 PM   #3569
Bc420i
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
OTA means over the air updated. This is how your phone is receiving updated... funnily enough, it's not the case on our units anyway.

• Get your updated file (usually called Ksw-P-Userdebug_OS_vX.X.X-ota.zip) and rename in to: Ksw-Q-Userdebug_OS_v-ota-reset-data_factory.zip and DO NOT UNZIP IT

Ok I'm going to try again from the start ive downloaded the latest firmware again

Pray for me 😂

And thanks for the help I appreciate it 👍🏽
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2020, 05:11 PM   #3570
Bc420i
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

Sat in my car done everything how you have said but still not seeing any prompt for an upgrade
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2020, 05:30 PM   #3571
RedErik
Colonel
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2004 E63 645Ci  [0.00]
Quote:
Sat in my car done everything how you have said but still not seeing any prompt for an upgrade
Hmm... did you try both USB ports? If that doesn't work on both try with SD card (same principle).
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2020, 05:38 PM   #3572
Bc420i
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Hmm... did you try both USB ports? If that doesn't work on both try with SD card (same principle).
Ok ill have a go, let you know how it goes
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2020, 06:49 PM   #3573
Bc420i
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Just tried with an sd card, and still nothing, how long should I give for the update prompt to pop up and is their anything else you can think to try, at worst I just really need the Bluetooth to work. Thanks again
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2020, 01:25 AM   #3574
RedErik
Colonel
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2004 E63 645Ci  [0.00]
Quote:
Just tried with an sd card, and still nothing, how long should I give for the update prompt to pop up and is their anything else you can think to try, at worst I just really need the Bluetooth to work. Thanks again
Update pop up should show imidiatelly after you insert USB stick / SD card. What you can try as a last resort is adb shell.
  • Get your laptop or Android phone (for phone download Remote ADB terminal from Google Play Store)
  • connect to your head unit
  • type in adb reboot recovery
  • once the recovery menu is up, select update from SD card

Fingers crossed this should work.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2020, 03:25 AM   #3575
Zeo85
Rep
Drives: BMW F21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kri View Post
To me your unit does look like CIC based no NBT.
Unfortunately you can not rely on the connector to determin if you have CIC or NBT.
its easier identified by bootscreen, if you have a still "BMW" logo then it is CIC based, if it has an animation its likely NBT based.
Second hint is the selection graphics, CIC does only have a RED circly around the text while NBT based has the whole text with red background.
To me it seems you have Radio Professional (CIC based without navigation).

Yes you can update to 1.9.1

Kri
Thanks Kri

Yes I dont have Nav and I believe you're correct . I have CIC no Nav on a 2013 BMW. I dont have a moving animation on start up on the BMW side of the system.

Do you know what those CanBus settings are for and which i should choose for my car ? Name:  CANBUS.jpg
Views: 1425
Size:  252.6 KB
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2020, 01:36 PM   #3576
micdarau85
Rep

hey guys
if i update the firmware to the latest that i can find here, is there any chance that i might get a split screen option?!
my current firmware is from march 19 (i think ... i don.t remember)
or the updates are just some minor , security things?!

thank you !

Edit: wifi adapter in ... works like a charm now !
thank you for that advice (way easyer than to mess with the bluetooth or other cables )

i just want to split the screen somehow and thats it
Attached Images

Last edited by micdarau85; 08-01-2020 at 12:24 PM..
Appreciate 1
Kri1083.50
      08-02-2020, 06:12 AM   #3577
jmds
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 E89 23i

Nice ! Can I ask which particular OBD adapter you are using ?
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2020, 03:37 AM   #3578
F20_M135i
Lieutenant
France
Rep
Drives: BMW F20 M140i Xdrive

The concern is that it is then no longer possible to share your connection with your mobile phone and have WAZE / SPOTIFY / MAP at the same time as the OBD application ... Unless you have a SIM card available. inside the unit?

I found a nice application: Notification-Toggle on Android, it allows you to shortcut from the pane that you go down = Various settings like Brightness / Volume / BT / Wifi and any shortcut to an application
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2020, 12:45 PM   #3579
micdarau85
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F20_M135i View Post
The concern is that it is then no longer possible to share your connection with your mobile phone and have WAZE / SPOTIFY / MAP at the same time as the OBD application ... Unless you have a SIM card available. inside the unit?

I found a nice application: Notification-Toggle on Android, it allows you to shortcut from the pane that you go down = Various settings like Brightness / Volume / BT / Wifi and any shortcut to an application
No sim , i am very happy with the navigation (i think is igo?! )
and if i really need to have a quick look i can use my phone

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmds View Post
Nice ! Can I ask which particular OBD adapter you are using ?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-07-2020, 06:43 AM   #3580
Zeo85
Rep
Drives: BMW F21

Has anyone been able to get the idrive controller and the scroll on the right hand side of the steering wheel controls to do the same thing ?

My old mmi box it worked for scrolling through menu options but on my android screen it just skips music to the next song , or movies to the next file .

Snapdragon 10 if that helps
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2020, 05:44 AM   #3581
mrsimes
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW

ADAS

Hi guys,

I connect my HU to my iphone personal hotspot. I'm running IOS 14 beta and since then I cannot connect from the HU to the hotspot - it seems Apple have changed the supported wireless encryption from WPA2 to SAE which the HU does not seem to support.

I've upgraded to the latest OTA - v3.9.8 but still can't connect. Quick question - do these OTAs upgrade the Android OS as well as the GUI? If so, hopefully a future update will include support for WPA3/SAE as I don't expect Apple will re-introduce support for WPA/WPA2.

Final question - what is the purpose of ADAS? Can I disable it?
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2020, 06:01 AM   #3582
RedErik
Colonel
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2004 E63 645Ci  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeo85 View Post
Has anyone been able to get the idrive controller and the scroll on the right hand side of the steering wheel controls to do the same thing ?

My old mmi box it worked for scrolling through menu options but on my android screen it just skips music to the next song , or movies to the next file .

Snapdragon 10 if that helps
This is controlled by the MCU. It translates CAN messages to key events understandable by Android. It looks like steering wheel controls have been assigned exclusively to media control. You could change that behaviour with Tasker and custom script. But then when you have media player running in the background and you want to skip song you would have to open the player to do so.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2020, 06:18 AM   #3583
RedErik
Colonel
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2004 E63 645Ci  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsimes View Post
Hi guys,

I connect my HU to my iphone personal hotspot. I'm running IOS 14 beta and since then I cannot connect from the HU to the hotspot - it seems Apple have changed the supported wireless encryption from WPA2 to SAE which the HU does not seem to support.

I've upgraded to the latest OTA - v3.9.8 but still can't connect. Quick question - do these OTAs upgrade the Android OS as well as the GUI? If so, hopefully a future update will include support for WPA3/SAE as I don't expect Apple will re-introduce support for WPA/WPA2.

Final question - what is the purpose of ADAS? Can I disable it?
Android 9 is not supported by Chinese developers anymore - 3.9.8 was the last version and most likely we won't see new version at all. For that reason if you have SD625 with 4GB of RAM you should move to Android 10. Although I'm not entirely sure if Android 10 on these units supports SAE.

As for the updates these are predominantly KSW Car Project related so very little if any goes into underlying Android OS itself. Security patches are outdated and I don't expect Chinese to follow new Google releases very closely.

ADAS stands for Advanced Driver Assistance Systems. In this implementation it works with your front DVR camera to record events, but also to provide functionality like lane assistance, collision detection etc. It requires calibration and it's a gimmick imo, nothing like OEM systems. You can safely delete that.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2020, 08:02 AM   #3584
mrsimes
Private
Rep

Quote:
Android 9 is not supported by Chinese developers anymore - 3.9.8 was the last version and most likely we won't see new version at all. For that reason if you have SD625 with 4GB of RAM you should move to Android 10. Although I'm not entirely sure if Android 10 on these units supports SAE.

As for the updates these are predominantly KSW Car Project related so very little if any goes into underlying Android OS itself. Security patches are outdated and I don't expect Chinese to follow new Google releases very closely.

ADAS stands for Advanced Driver Assistance Systems. In this implementation it works with your front DVR camera to record events, but also to provide functionality like lane assistance, collision detection etc. It requires calibration and it's a gimmick imo, nothing like OEM systems. You can safely delete that.
Thanks RedErik. I do have a SD625 with 4GB RAM so I'll update to Android 10 and see what happens. Will delete ADAS as suggested.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2020, 09:01 AM   #3585
mrsimes
Private
Rep

Quote:
Thanks RedErik. I do have a SD625 with 4GB RAM so I'll update to Android 10 and see what happens. Will delete ADAS as suggested.
Hmmmm, upgrading to Android 10 has made the wifi worse. I can't connect to any network now. I just received a message "failed to save network".

Are there some files I need to delete to reset this? I tried resetting network settings in the main android system menu.

TIA
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2020, 09:55 AM   #3586
mrsimes
Private
Rep

Quote:
Hmmmm, upgrading to Android 10 has made the wifi worse. I can't connect to any network now. I just received a message "failed to save network".

Are there some files I need to delete to reset this? I tried resetting network settings in the main android system menu.

TIA
Factory reset sorted it and it is now also supporting the iPhone’s SAE encryption. Good result 👍
Appreciate 1
Mjam133.50