F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > F30 Audio Set up
proTUNING Freaks

01-29-2019, 04:05 AM   #1
Chromeo
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2014 F30 328i M-Sport

Garage List
F30 Audio Set up

Hi All,

has anyone tried the following configs:

Constant: Bimmertech Amp & Ghost under seat subs in a HiFi system vehicle.

Variable:

1. Front aftermarket speakers (A1 or Bavsound) [Front doors and Centre mid] only

2. Front aftermarket speakers (A1 or Bavsound) [Front doors and Centre mid] & OEM stock rears

3. Front aftermarket speakers (A1 or Bavsound) [Front doors , NO Centre mid] & with or without stock rears

Would like to hear your experiences and what people have found to be the best set up (mostly only front passengers in the car).
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2019, 06:58 AM   #2
twodoor
Private
Rep
Drives: X3 30i G01 2020

If you'd look into the previous threads on the same matter, the biggest improvement is having a DSP. Aftermarket speakers don't really have that much of an impact.
In my F30 with HiFi (the one with tweeters only in the front door trims), I've first replaced the DSP, which made a lot of difference.
After that, I've replaced the front door speakers with Eton B100W, there is only a slight difference that comes from the tweeters, but the stock HiFi door speakers were in the same "league" with the Etons.
I wouldn't advise upgrading the underseat subs because the stock ones are really good if configured with the proper frequencies and aftermarket versions won't make too much (if any) difference because of the limited enclosure space. If you want more bass just slap another sub in the trunk.

My 2 cents, after almost a year with my current setup and double the time spent on research.
Appreciate 1
Billfitz8243.00
      01-31-2019, 08:00 AM   #3
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Agreed. The stock speakers are very high quality and there's little, if anything, to be gained by replacing them. The weak links in the BMW system are the amp and EQ.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2019, 12:55 AM   #4
Chromeo
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
Agreed. The stock speakers are very high quality and there's little, if anything, to be gained by replacing them. The weak links in the BMW system are the amp and EQ.
Ooh.. I'm going to say there is already a pretty big difference between the stock and the A1 speakers with the BimmerTech amp. A lot more detail and volume. Doesn't have that "paper cone" sound to it.

To my ears, they aren't as good as the Focal Krx2s I had in my previous car but they definitely sound better than stock.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2019, 09:26 AM   #5
florinbrv
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 320D

Quote:
Hi Billfitz,

I have a BMW F30 with base audio system. After reading on this forum what I should be upgrading for a better sound, I bought a Match PP82DSP and based on your reviews, the BMW HiFi subwoofers. I'm extremely satisfied with the sound and I just want to say thanks, as you helped me saving some $$ as the used HiFi subwoofers were only 50 Euro.
Thanks again!
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2019, 09:52 AM   #6
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromeo View Post
Ooh.. I'm going to say there is already a pretty big difference between the stock and the A1 speakers with the BimmerTech amp. A lot more detail and volume. Doesn't have that "paper cone" sound to it.
Maybe, maybe not. Measured results would confirm it, I've never seen any. I've never even seen a proper data sheet for any aftermarket BMW replacement midbass drivers. This is what a data sheet looks like:
http://www.focal-america.com/wp-cont...5KRX2_spec.pdf

There's no such thing as 'paper cone' sound, or any sound based purely on the cone material. We have a saying in the loudspeaker design business: It doesn't matter what you make a cone out of, it's how you make it that counts.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2019, 12:39 AM   #7
Chromeo
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Hey Billfitz , too bad we only started this after I went and bought some stuff. I've seen lots of people talk about how good the aftermarket speakers are so I jumped when an opportunity presented itself. I'm trying to make the best I can out of my purchase. I wont be changing the rear speakers anyways.

Essentially I have a 82DSP, 2 ghost subs, Stock OEM rears, A1 fronts and a bavsound centre speaker in a HIFI vehicle. Talk about a Frankenstein

Would the "Limousine" tune for the 7 UP BMW work in the 82DSP?
Appreciate 0