F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > My 335d XD Shadow Edition Journey - One Year On.
Studio RSR

10-12-2017, 07:31 AM   #23
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F31 335D XD

Quote:
Originally Posted by creepy coupe View Post
Perfect colour combo IMO. Can't make out the shadow option apart from the black mirror caps?
On the outside its the wheels 704's, black grilles and black caps,

Inside you get stitched dash, smoked carbon trim, tinted windows, the old M performance brakes and errrr think there is something else.

Its a posh way of saying "run out edition"
      10-12-2017, 07:32 AM   #24
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ti Rich View Post
If yours is like mine you may find the actual mpg is about 10% less than the on board computers says. mine was saying 45mpg average but when i worked it out it is 40mpg.

Corrected this via the hidden menu.............now reads accurate.

Re other comments I totally agree the adaptive lights are stunning.
yes forgot to mention that according to the "lie o meter" !

It is about 41 - 43 actual mpg depending on sea level and temperature at fill up time
      10-12-2017, 07:45 AM   #25
creepy coupe
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW M340I G20

Garage List
2015 BMW 435d  [0.00]
2009 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 454697819 View Post
On the outside its the wheels 704's, black grilles and black caps,

Inside you get stitched dash, smoked carbon trim, tinted windows, the old M performance brakes and errrr think there is something else.

Its a posh way of saying "run out edition"
Thanks. So did you not have to choose the M performance pack then. Which give bigger wheels, blue calipers, and HK?
Previous.MINI JCW. E92 325i. 435d M235i.M135i. 635d Coupe, E92 M3 manual, E92 M3 DCT Competition Pack. E92 335i, Porsche Cayman S Gen2, 135i Coupe. E92 320d, MK5 R32. MK5 Golf GTi,MK5 Golf GT-TDI,E46 318Ci.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2017, 08:05 AM   #26
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by creepy coupe View Post
Thanks. So did you not have to choose the M performance pack then. Which give bigger wheels, blue calipers, and HK?
correct, its no longer an option - just M sport Shadow Edition IIRC.
      10-12-2017, 09:25 AM   #27
Ti Rich
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S D

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBeemer View Post
How do you do this adjustment please?

I have a similar vehicle too, which has now done 1400 miles & would like the computer to read more accurately.
See here

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rc...dm0Navvmp7-DsN

Takes about 1 minute to change the correction factor. The default correction value is 1000. I am now at 1090 and it's about bang on. Works fine with the digital dash too. I didn't have to enter the VIN unlock code either.
Appreciate 1
McBeemer261.00
      10-25-2017, 08:28 AM   #28
Lieutenant
Rep

Just a couple of Musings re The Black fuel -

there is a fair amount of discussion on the forum on the subject of fuel, and in particular the impact of different fuels on economy and range.

I now have over 4k miles on my car and confirm the following.

Supermarket Fuel:
Including Tesco, Morrisons & Asda all provided the same ish MPG and mileage, however it is my humble opinion the engine was not as smooth as the following fuels.

Shell Standard Diesel:
Produced same mileage per tank as the above fuels but low load clatter (if you can say that about a 6cy diesel) was diminished.

Shell Super expensive have your pants down diesel:

This produced a whopping additional 2mpg, However..... This may be down more to my driving style that week due to long motorway journeys each day and minimal town driving, as 3-4 trips into a town can wipe up to 50 miles of range from the tank if its snarled up.
Clatter was also improved over the supermarket fuels but not any better than the Shell normal diesel.

So my conclusion is this :

Ill be damned if I know - pay your monies take your choice.

The v power diesel is not worth the extra FOR ECONOMY AND RANGE alone based on perhaps my more normal usage, the cleanliness it could bring I cant establish until 85k time but I wont be running it full time on this.

The supermarket fuel is cheap and cheerful I had one bad tank from Tesco which it noticeably ran rougher, however the newly refurbished asda fuel station near me has new clean tanks and new pumps so will be using this going forward.

If there was a shell garage more en-route for me I would prefer to use this as a regular fill up just due to the reduced "clatter" alone -

Next test will be when I purchase some millers next week and try that, worked well on my previous cars, but these were older and slightly higher mileage.

Musings over -
      10-25-2017, 08:51 AM   #29
Ti Rich
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S D

Standard Shell with Millers works best for me. See how it goes........
Appreciate 1
      01-26-2018, 04:42 AM   #30
Lieutenant
Rep

10 000 mile update

So last night the car rolled over 10 000 miles,

That’s just 178 days since collection, or 5 months and 25 days, its about 1000miles down on where I estimated, due to a week off with sickness and a bit more use of the wife's car at weekends to keep muddy wellies of the cream leather at this time of year.

I took it to my local independent this AM for an oil and filter change, I was pleased to see on arrival that he had procured even the genuine oil to use – total for the oil and filter change is circa £140 – BMW wanted £240

His opinion on the oil was it was it was dirty but well within acceptable limits, i.e worth a change for sure but the engine isn’t being overly sooty and depositing too much in the engine and oil which was reassuring. But my car spends at least 2 hours a day sat on fast ish A roads being nice and hot.

I trust this man a lot when it comes to my cars, he always gives sound advice and never BS, whilst a family friend by association the garage is very well thought off generally across the local area, and I didn’t even mind the hour round trip back to my old home town to use him.

So thoughts on the car after 10 000 miles.

Its good, it’s very good. It has bedded in nicely with the engine feeling strong and smooth. I have run it on a mixture of fuels (see above musings) and have decided to try the next 10k using millers with my normal fuel. I started yesterday so will update soon, any effect may be pseudo because of the fresh oil.

I queried the mechanic on the use of premium fuels and additives, expecting the retort of “don’t waste your money” or “snake oil” but he surprised me to state that he strongly supports the use of premium fuel or additive every once in a while, they, as a business have witnessed many instances of resolution of minor problems in diesel cars and prolonged life by the use of premiums fuels and additives –

He advised against supermarket fuel but this has always been the case from him anyway – I avoid part fill so I don’t get to use shell often as I would like as they are few or far between in my area.

Economy has remained in the early 40’s with the odd dip below when town journeys have been the norm, but that’s rare.

Tyre wear is excellent, I'm estimating about 30k before the fronts are shot, and more before the rears, but I don’t like these tyres, they are unforgiving and there is no decent feedback.

The brakes squeaked from 30 miles old to 8000 miles, when the day before it was booked in itself resolved and has been fine since.

I have had two instances of the digi dash turning off as I drive a long for it to come back to life a second later – I have put this down to a glitch and ignored it for now – it’s not happened in the last 3000 miles.

The car is calling for its first service at 22000 miles – supporting the use of intermediate oil changes but I may have this car for 6 years and 150k miles so it’s in my interest to look after it.

The interior has held up well but does need a bit of maintenance, I’m not a small bloke and although I am now in a comfortable position the seat has bedded in well, will it last 150k as supportive is now? Time will tell. The heated seats are excellent btw. Autoglym cleaner and leather treatment is working very well.

The issue with BMW and the dimming mirror was resolved in my favour and is now resolved fully with the help of a forum member - so thanks for that
Gtechniq has been great, I have washed this car more times in the last 6 months than my last one had in 3 years and even after the truly crap winter it seems to be holding up well.

Niggles

The digi dash and idrive are not well coordinated, expecting steering wheel controls to control the idrive doesn’t work – forgetting to use the I drive wheel. Note – this is a user error.

I stand my all my other scores on the extras, the one that needs a coding tweak is the headlight washers, in this weather, they should come on more often than they do.

Favourite Bit

How it feels inside – I know there is big debate over which is class leading but IMHO it’s a lovely place to sit and I have no complaints after the 10k miles and it steel feels special to get into.

Heated steering wheel – I broke both my thumbs a while ago, and on cold mornings, this keeps the pain away from my hands and that’s great.

The engine – it’s just huge fun, I don’t think I’ll get tired of booting away from a que of cars behind me whilst I wait for the lorry in front to pull over.

I had the misfortune to need to use a lot of the cars speed to try and get to hospital at high speed before a family member passed away, it was a reassuring place to be knowing how stable and sure footed this thing is with huge brakes which pull your face off if you need too, shame to use it under these circumstances but that aside it was a good place to be.

Final words

I keep querying if I should have been pushier and gone for the 340I – (No slot was available and dealer threatened to pull the discount) and I conclude each time that I have made the right decision. The 4wd is proving invaluable in the wet, cold snowy shitty weather, not that a 340I wouldn’t have done well, but I can’t fault it to date.

We don’t know the future of diesels, granted, I can but roll with the punches now.

Running costs are well within expectations so far – I have taken Coopers up on their 4 year service plan, it’s not cheap but does bring some discount on services.

I expected to enjoy the car more: I mean by this I was hoping I would want to go silly in it, but for that, it is my humble opinion it could do with ACS but that’s a well-versed conversation, the adaptive does a great job, but to make this a truly drivers it could do with something better in the suspension dept, but hey that's hardly news.

So there we go – 10k trouble free miles so far, with the car fitting in perfectly with my needs and family lifestyle and here’s to the rest.

Any questions do ask –

All the best
      01-26-2018, 06:43 AM   #31
goodbyalfa
King of the North (living in the east...)
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i mineral white

It's a bit grey.... :-)
2015 330D F30 MSport EBII
2012 Alfa Guilietta 2.0d Veloce
2009 Fiat bravo sport
2000 ST Mondeo
Appreciate 2
      01-26-2018, 06:51 AM   #32
Stev443
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Dark side Audi TTS

Excellent review thanks
Appreciate 1
      01-26-2018, 07:41 AM   #33
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

Great review.

However, not thought of the implications with regards the failing digital dash before. Very dodgy if you lost your speedo and good chance of getting done for speeding. I guess you'd have to use an app on your phone.

Ok so an analogue speedo could fail, but I’ve never known one in all my years of driving. I'd wager a there more chance of a digital dash/speedo failing than an analogue one.

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 1
      01-26-2018, 09:14 AM   #34
mikeoz
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40d LCI

Heck of a detailed review. Thanks
Appreciate 2
      01-26-2018, 10:17 AM   #35
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodbyalfa View Post
It's a bit grey.... :-)
yes, in an ideal world I would have stumped up the cash and got the Tanzanite, but mutually, the non descript subtle "looks like any other car" has grown on me.

I would be grateful for some better, cost effective colour choices next time around mr BMW.
      01-26-2018, 10:21 AM   #36
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopper99 View Post
Great review.

However, not thought of the implications with regards the failing digital dash before. Very dodgy if you lost your speedo and good chance of getting done for speeding. I guess you'd have to use an app on your phone.

Ok so an analogue speedo could fail, but I’ve never known one in all my years of driving. I'd wager a there more chance of a digital dash/speedo failing than an analogue one.
TBH, if it does it again, ill push for a replacement, but it was so quick last time I had to double check It happened in my own mind and not that I made it up!
      01-26-2018, 12:40 PM   #37
KCH1984
Major
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model Y LR

My 2016 LCI with the black panel display did what was basically a full ignition cycle - driving along and full system reset, clocks went blank, climate panel, nav screen the lot. Only for a couple of seconds before it rebooted with the 'connected drive' animation on the nav screen.

Like the case with the digital dash above though, I lost speedo rev counter etc while the car threw a wobbly. Never happened since!
      01-26-2018, 05:07 PM   #38
hudson012003
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 340i Msport Tanzanite blue

I drive a 340i, but that was a really interesting review, thanks for the effort
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2018, 02:12 AM   #39
Rudz
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335D xDrive Shadow Edition

My digital Speedo went blank on me once, felt very strange losing it just as I was about to make a turn, it throws up a gong as well, got me distracted for a sec, thankfully came back up quickly
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2018, 02:30 AM   #40
MattRST
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4

Great review. Good to see you are enjoying the car
      06-25-2018, 05:44 AM   #41
Lieutenant
Rep

20 685 mile update

20 685 miles.

So a bit of an update - 9 (ish) Months in and the first service was due at 21k according to the computer, bear in mind it has already had one oil service at just over 10k but this wasn't put on the Idrive.

Booked into Cooper Colchester who other than being unable to offer me a courtesy car at short notice due to me changing the booking were pretty good to be honest.

Other things to be looked at

Loose gear stick - (just felt a bit floppy) - Agreed to replace under warranty.
Squeak door seals - Agreed to apply tape if I want it - Return visit booked for these two items.
Brake Squeal - Only very occasionally in reverse & Couldn't replicate - so ignored
Steering Knock - Sounded the same as the one in the showroom so I have left it for now.

Dropped of early with strict instructions not to wash, do not do any emissions updates (if any are due, which I don't think there are) and was all done by when I needed to collect it.

Other positives from my first 21k miles (ish) are the MPG on average is reading 45.4 MPG - this is real world about 41 which is pretty impressive but I do a lot of straightforward A road journeys.

The tyres are measuring just over half worn on the rears and less than half worn on the front, giving circa 35k for the rears estimated and 60k on the fronts - shame as these tyres are not the best, but when they are done on the rear i'll swap the whole set.

Other than that a pretty uneventful but pleasant 21k.

I still like the car and now I understand it a bit more as a super fast family wagon it makes more sense, it hasn't itched the scratch for a really fast car as there is not enough drama but by eck its a good motor and has bedded in really well in the last 5k.

I now have Bimmercode and an adaptor and have tweaked a few annoying things which have made me even happier with the interior and functionality.

Still a happy customer and would rate the car as an 8/10.
      06-25-2018, 06:30 AM   #42
goodbyalfa
United Kingdom
Rep

I noticed earlier on in this detailed review you grumbled about why the elec mirrors do not close in on locking.
They do, you just need to hold the lock button on the remote for around 3 secs and da dah....

Also, if on a hot day you are approaching the and hold the open button for ~ 3 sec (keep holding it) then all the windows go down...
2009 Fiat bravo sport
2000 ST Mondeo
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2018, 06:38 AM   #43
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodbyalfa View Post
I noticed earlier on in this detailed review you grumbled about why the elec mirrors do not close in on locking.
They do, you just need to hold the lock button on the remote for around 3 secs and da dah....

Also, if on a hot day you are approaching the and hold the open button for ~ 3 sec (keep holding it) then all the windows go down...
Ah i knew that, I meant auto fold on one press - This was fixed via bimmercode - and yes the windows opening thing was aware of -

Many thanks
      06-25-2018, 06:48 AM   #44
goodbyalfa
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 454697819 View Post
Ah i knew that, I meant auto fold on one press - This was fixed via bimmercode - and yes the windows opening thing was aware of -

Many thanks
Are you not weary of overdoing it on the motor? I'd rather have the option to close when required rather than every time personally. Plus what happens if it is frozen up? Can this lead to burn out?
2009 Fiat bravo sport
2000 ST Mondeo
Appreciate 0