F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > 2013 335i twin turbo 6. Speed manual
proTUNING Freaks

11-05-2018, 06:34 PM   #1
Rubi76474
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i twin turbo

2013 335i twin turbo 6. Speed manual

I just bought the car. I was wondering what simply bolt on I could do and also if I should get a blow off valve installed. Also looking for advice on tunes and where to search for parts. This will be my first bimmer build
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2018, 07:01 PM   #2
sspade
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

Garage List
2016 BMW 320i  [7.87]
2014 BMW 328i  [6.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi76474 View Post
I just bought the car. I was wondering what simply bolt on I could do and also if I should get a blow off valve installed. Also looking for advice on tunes and where to search for parts. This will be my first bimmer build
1. Intercooler
2. Charge pipe
3. Catless downpipe
4. Flash tune

*the blow off valve as you say... is also referred to as a diverter valve and the most popular choice is GFB (Go Fast Bits)... go to their site and enter your vehicle to get the part number. Not going to make your car "faster" per se but may increase throttle response as the build quality is FAR superior to OEM plastic and most importantly includes a spring that allows the valve to snap close and maintain boost pressure between shifts.
Appreciate 1
ronanz1819.50
      11-05-2018, 07:03 PM   #3
Korvo
Respect My Authoritah
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M-Sport

I recommend:

Catless Downpipe
Intercooler
Chargepipe
Exhaust
Tune
Tint
Wheels
BMS Clutch Stop
BimmerCode and OBDII WiFi Dongle for coding

No blow off valve. An air intake will amplify the sound of the turbo.

Welcome!
      11-05-2018, 07:56 PM   #4
Rubi76474
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sspade View Post
1. Intercooler
2. Charge pipe
3. Catless downpipe
4. Flash tune

*the blow off valve as you say... is also referred to as a diverter valve and the most popular choice is GFB (Go Fast Bits)... go to their site and enter your vehicle to get the part number. Not going to make your car "faster" per se but may increase throttle response as the build quality is FAR superior to OEM plastic and most importantly includes a spring that allows the valve to snap close and maintain boost pressure between shifts.
So don’t order BOV and just get a GFB then?? And I was also curious if I should just go ahead and replace the twins to a single??
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2018, 07:59 PM   #5
Rubi76474
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sspade View Post
1. Intercooler
2. Charge pipe
3. Catless downpipe
4. Flash tune

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdegene View Post
I recommend:

Catless Downpipe
Intercooler
Chargepipe
Exhaust
Tune
Tint
Wheels
BMS Clutch Stop
BimmerCode and OBDII WiFi Dongle for coding

No blow off valve. An air intake will amplify the sound of the turbo.

Welcome!
Thanks man. I really want to get the blow off valve sound though. Lol I was curious if I should just switch the twins and get a single turbo? Also what’s a safe amount of boost I could push on the engine?? If you have any helpful sites I could go to buy parts at a reasonable price that would be great as well
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2018, 08:01 PM   #6
Korvo
Respect My Authoritah
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M-Sport

If you want to hear the blow off, get a CAI. There are a few brands that make it a lot louder. I got mine solely for that purpose. Just remember that the charge pipe should come before anything else.

ECS Tuning
Extreme Power House
Burger Motorsports

I like to buy my parts from the cheapest BMW dealership that ships. Usually, I find this on eBay.

Pics of the ride?!
      11-05-2018, 08:03 PM   #7
key0saMa
Rep
Drives: f30 335i, f80 m3

You already have a single turbo
Appreciate 3
      11-05-2018, 08:38 PM   #8
Rubi76474
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdegene View Post
If you want to hear the blow off, get a CAI. There are a few brands that make it a lot louder. I got mine solely for that purpose. Just remember that the charge pipe should come before anything else.

ECS Tuning
Extreme Power House
Burger Motorsports

I like to buy my parts from the cheapest BMW dealership that ships. Usually, I find this on eBay.

Pics of the ride?!
I don’t have any. I just bought the car on Saturday and I parked it in the garage.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2018, 08:39 PM   #9
Rubi76474
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by key0saMa View Post
So then would you say just get a bigger turbo then?
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2018, 10:31 PM   #10
Eddien123
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335 6MT

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by key0saMa View Post
So then would you say just get a bigger turbo then?
It's a twin scroll single turbo. But it has its limits. Depending on desired power output, yeah I'd say a bigger turbo is necessary.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2018, 10:57 AM   #11
_bdiddyb_
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i

dude...."simply bolt on" that you can do yourself is NOT downpipe, intercooler, chargepipe, exhaust, or blowoff valve. All required you to get dirty in tight places. Tune and cold air intake are about the only simple bolt-ons.

Rubi76474 , you don't like the stock blowoff valve? The "psssspheeewwww..." sound. GFB valve will give you the "pphhffffssssss!" sound. Add a tune first, you will hear the blowoff valve more pronounced. FYI - if you do "catless" downpipe w/o the tune (which can auto delete cat monitoring), you will get the annoying engine CEL.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2018, 11:05 AM   #12
Logicoeur
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 335i xDrive

This is an engine with metered air (MAF) so how is a blow off valve not going to throw a CEL?
F30 335iX | Remus Axleback | Fabspeed Catted DP | VRSF Comp IC | 18X9 ET35 19lb MT1 | 255/40/18 ECS | Ohlins RT Millway Street | Millway Control Arm Bushings | Turner Endlinks | TMH 75mm 14x1.5 Studs | BMW MPerf LSD | XDelete | Pipercross Filter | MHD Stg2 93
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2018, 12:25 PM   #13
jh_f30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Sportline Auto RWD

Don't get a BOV. Super ricey, IMO. Also, as mentioned, N55 is a SINGLE twin-SCROLL turbo. If you're PWG, stock turbo is probably good for up to around 18-ish psi with a tune and FBO.

Not really sure what your objective is with your car. As you said, it's your first Bimmer. What car are you coming out of? The 335i is a very capable car in stock form (minus the weak chargepipe, get that upgraded).

I'd recommend driving it as it is for a few months at least. Get a feel for how the car performs and then you can identify where it might need some upgrades. What you want to use it for should dictate the appropriate mods. Biggest complaint on the F30 when it came out wasn't the power but the handling characteristics. Some suspension mods and good tires will tighten it up.
      11-06-2018, 12:53 PM   #14
Munchi435i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Alpine White 435i M-sport

Rubi76474

So im confused....

Do you have the N54 engine or the N55 engine??

Your signature states twin turbo and not sure if your confusing the terminology that BMW uses for the F-series, Twin-powered Turbo(N55) versus Twin-turbo(N54)!!

11-06-2018, 01:03 PM   #15
Rubi76474
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh_f30 View Post
Don't get a BOV. Super ricey, IMO. Also, as mentioned, N55 is a SINGLE twin-SCROLL turbo. If you're PWG, stock turbo is probably good for up to around 18-ish psi with a tune and FBO.

Not really sure what your objective is with your car. As you said, it's your first Bimmer. What car are you coming out of? The 335i is a very capable car in stock form (minus the weak chargepipe, get that upgraded).

I'd recommend driving it as it is for a few months at least. Get a feel for how the car performs and then you can identify where it might need some upgrades. What you want to use it for should dictate the appropriate mods. Biggest complaint on the F30 when it came out wasn't the power but the handling characteristics. Some suspension mods and good tires will tighten it up.
I came out of a 2010 genesis coupe. I had an his BOV along with and upgraded tomie turbo with a catless exhaust. I switched the stock Intercooler and also did the intake manifold and also did a cold air intake. I also had headers a stage 2 clutch and a Haltech ecu tuned by a shop in California. I also replaced the injectors to 1000cc and a walbaro fuel pump. The last dyno I had was at 387 whp and about the same with torque. It was also a 4 banger.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2018, 01:09 PM   #16
Rubi76474
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchi435i View Post
Rubi76474

So im confused....

Do you have the N54 engine or the N55 engine??

Your signature states twin turbo and not sure if your confusing the terminology that BMW uses for the F-series, Twin-powered Turbo(N55) versus Twin-turbo(N54)!!

I double checked and your right. It says twin power. Well like I said before this will be my first BMW build and I’m completely clueless on how to get started and also where to buy parts. None of my buddy’s drive BMW either so I’ve been trying to do my research on it but it’s confusing at time because i don’t even know the engine number
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2018, 01:24 PM   #17
Munchi435i
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I double checked and your right. It says twin power. Well like I said before this will be my first BMW build and I’m completely clueless on how to get started and also where to buy parts. None of my buddy’s drive BMW either so I’ve been trying to do my research on it but it’s confusing at time because i don’t even know the engine number
Not trying to knock you but you really should have done some research before purchasing any vehicle! I understand this being your first BMW and im also new to BMW as well. But i had a 2001 Audi S4 (Twin turbo V6) and did lots of research before buying that car and my current 435i!! Do a search on the forums and most of your answers will be found!

Best thing to do for the best kind of help in the community would be to state your car goals. Meaning your budget, mechanical experience, power figures you hope to achieve ect...

This forum is a great place for knowledge with many active users to lend a hand or opinion. But you really need to sit down and READ...RESEARCH...and READ some more!!!

11-06-2018, 04:56 PM   #18
Rubi76474
United_States
Rep

Well my budget is around 10k and I’m looking to make around 500whp. I definitely want to hear the turbo and BOV like I did in the genesis. And a really good exhaust. I was also thinking of putting a nitrous spray grate in front of the Intercooler to be able to cool off the air faster and getting bigger injectors and a stand-alone. I’ve been a mechanic for 7 years
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2018, 06:53 PM   #19
Logicoeur
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 335i xDrive

Quote:
Well my budget is around 10k and I'm looking to make around 500whp. I definitely want to hear the turbo and BOV like I did in the genesis. And a really good exhaust. I was also thinking of putting a nitrous spray grate in front of the Intercooler to be able to cool off the air faster and getting bigger injectors and a stand-alone. I've been a mechanic for 7 years
Yeah you definitely need to do some reading lol. BOV isn't good because these cars use a maf and expect the same amount of measured air to enter the manifold. A BOV would alter that amount. They actually use whats called a "diverter valve" that recycles the unused metered air when you let off the throttle. Some like the GFB?GFV? (can't recall the acronym) diverter upgrade may be hybrid, and actually "blow off" a bit of that into the atmosphere.

Get an open intake like CTS, Injen, MTS, or BMS. You won't get any increase in power, you'll actually lose some torque down low, but you will get the loud woosh you are looking for. If you want to avoid the torque loss, get a DRY drop in filter from AFE, or a closed box intake like Dinan. Those will add power and a slight sound increase. Oiled filters like KW or BMS have been known to fuck up the MAF sensor because people add too much oil when they clean them.

For exhausts go to extreme powerhouse, or ecs tuning, or Turner motorsport websites and look at the exhaust options. Then search them on youtube, and here.

No one uses a standalone, it's unnecessary. Look at Bootmod3 and MHD, they will flash the ecu directly and allow you to swift tunes, or back to stock on a whim. There's an engine section here, just search "tune" and read. Don't do a JB4 unless you want to do meth injection which would cool the intake air internally. Also unnecessary unless you go bigger turbo, IMO.

Haven't seen anyone get bigger injectors. Again go to the engine section and search turbo upgrades. Pure 2 is popular,and stage 2.

For intercooler again search those stores and look at options then come back and search here for opinions. This is always my procedure for getting acclimated to a new car/community. I do much of it before even purchasing the car. Even looking at how developed the aftermarket parts communities are and common replacement parts because I am a DIYer and hate the dealer.

Watch videos on youtube. There is countless reviews and options spelled out there too.

Have at it
F30 335iX | Remus Axleback | Fabspeed Catted DP | VRSF Comp IC | 18X9 ET35 19lb MT1 | 255/40/18 ECS | Ohlins RT Millway Street | Millway Control Arm Bushings | Turner Endlinks | TMH 75mm 14x1.5 Studs | BMW MPerf LSD | XDelete | Pipercross Filter | MHD Stg2 93
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2018, 08:17 PM   #20
Munchi435i
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Well my budget is around 10k and I’m looking to make around 500whp. I definitely want to hear the turbo and BOV like I did in the genesis. And a really good exhaust. I was also thinking of putting a nitrous spray grate in front of the Intercooler to be able to cool off the air faster and getting bigger injectors and a stand-alone. I’ve been a mechanic for 7 years
To reach 500whp you will need to upgrade your turbo, plain and simple. To better hear your turbo spool, you'll need a open air intake. Really good exhaust can mean so many things to different people, be more specific...like you want it loud or no drone or anything along those lines. Truly don't think nitrous kit will be necessary with a proper upgraded FMIC. Haven't read much about bigger injectors but perhaps with the upgraded turbo that might not be a bad idea. Stand-alone is not needed with flash tunes available from MHD or BM3, either choice will get you sorted or you can contact a tuner for a custom map or you can tune it yourself if your confident enough to go that route. Great to hear about your experience as a tech and hope you search the forums for all you answers because there is a wealth of knowledge to be had!

But yeah just start reading because most people on here will answer common questions but others will be less then sympathetic to someone that is unwilling to do any leg work regarding research!!
      11-06-2018, 08:32 PM   #21
ronanz
Gettin It Figured Out
United_States
Rep
Drives: 435i FBO PS2 bm3 w/ options

Your power goals are pretty achievable with upgraded turbo, fueling and custom tune. If you're looking to keep your bay looking OE...start following THIS thread closely (#234 and on for HPFP upgrade)

Otherwise, if you go PI or MI you'll need to add a controller.

But, as Munchi435i stated, do your research as you'll need various FBO hardware to safely run upgraded power.........the rabbit goes D E E P down this hole!

My Build Thread can be found HERE

Last edited by ronanz; 11-06-2018 at 08:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2018, 08:42 PM   #22
Rubi76474
United_States
Rep

I appreciate everyone’s help. And I do enjoy people’s opinions. It gives me a wide variety of ideas on what I can do. I am definitely doing my research at the moment before I begin to upgrade.
Appreciate 0